Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Damien

Wizard: Vyr Archon Lightning

50 posts in this topic

Hello there. I'm trying the new set on S4 but I found something strange with this build. In fact I have 2 pieces of Tal rasha and the Schaefer's Hammer in the cube, and I can assure than even with the rune pure power on archon, the archon only deal arcane dammage,  the hammer effect don't proc and arcan meteor fall for the 2 pieces bonus of tal rasha

Hello there. 

I think than the Fulminator are not usefull.

In fact the 2 pieces bonus of Vyr set the damage of Archon in arcane for the selected rune.  

I play with two piece of Tal Rasha and Schaefer's Hammer and for every rune selected for the archon, the meteor strike of the Tal Rasah bonus is purple ( arcane ) and the lighting aura of the hammer do not proc. 

I loved then changes this gave to my build, so I would like to show what I used on mine:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/LeoGolem-1841/hero/65347905
I did little changes, and still have more to do:
1 - I used Chilling aura on Ice armor so I could make sure every enemy close to me is chilled, but as soon I get my gem to lvl 25 I'll change it.
2 - Since I use the RoRG, I can set the Aughild's bonus an get some damage resist and elite bonus.
3 - I'm trying to get the belt again, and I hope it gives 20 stacks of Archon.

4 - I think the Furnace will do much more damage if used in the Cube, so I hope to make one soon...

5 - I think that the Frost nova only make the build worst, so I'll take it of. The Obsidian ring only take CD from one skill at a time, and if FN is on cooldown, it can "steal" Cd saver from Archon.

Hello there. 

In fact the 2 pieces bonus of Vyr set the damage of Archon in arcane for the selected rune.  

I play with two piece of Tal Rasha and Schaefer's Hammer and for every rune selected for the archon, the meteor strike of the Tal Rasah bonus is purple ( arcane ) and the lighting aura of the hammer do not proc. 

Hello! The set will adopt your highest elemental damage on gear, and in your case it is likely Arcane, causing all your damage to be of that element.

I'd actually suggest using Aether Walker as the cube weapon power.  In addition to the obvious benefit of being able to spam Teleport, there's two benefits specific to this build:

First, since Teleport has no cooldown, the Obsidian Ring won't be wasting procs on Teleport cooldown, so it can be used freely without extending how long you have to wait for Archon to come off cooldown.

Second, it also reduces the Archon teleport to no cooldown, meaning after you mop up a group of enemies in archon form, you can quickly teleport to the next group.  Also worth mentioning that the archon teleport does not get a resource cost, so you can spam teleport as much as you want while transformed.

Hello there. 

Hello! The set will adopt your highest elemental damage on gear, and in your case it is likely Arcane, causing all your damage to be of that element.

Does this mean the elemental damage type rotates with your Convention of Elements?

Hey,

I like this build a lot, but i would like to ask something about the gems. instead of the "bane of the stricken" i found out that "gogok of swiftness" could be a good alternative. Or is there a good reason to stay with "bane of the stricken"?

Also i wonder what your thoughts of "crown of the Primus" instead of "the Swami" in the cube? With Gogok you can quickly reset the CD of Archon and with the "Crown of the Primus" you might be able to deal and tank more damage in the Slow Time with Archon. Any thoughts on that?

greets,

MyBliss

Hey,

I like this build a lot, but i would like to ask something about the gems. instead of the "bane of the stricken" i found out that "gogok of swiftness" could be a good alternative. Or is there a good reason to stay with "bane of the stricken"?

Also i wonder what your thoughts of "crown of the Primus" instead of "the Swami" in the cube? With Gogok you can quickly reset the CD of Archon and with the "Crown of the Primus" you might be able to deal and tank more damage in the Slow Time with Archon. Any thoughts on that?

greets,

MyBliss

Heya! I honestly consider Bane of the Stricken mandatory for progression, as the build struggles in single target fights and any tool to shorten them (especially as strong as BotS) feels warranted. The Swami also fits too well to ignore - it sustains your Toughness and damage in your most vulnerable moments, in non-Archon form, and on a lucky quick reset will briefly carry over to the next Archon for a huge dps burst.

How much CDR should i aim for? I'm around 50% now and I'm not sure if i should get more

How much CDR should i aim for? I'm around 50% now and I'm not sure if i should get more

I am no expert at this build, but after a few days of grifting i think 50% is good. There is no point going higher because you need 20 hits with Chantodo anyway to maximize blast damage...i usually get archon to pop up before i get my chantodo stack to 20 already anyway.

I am no expert at this build, but after a few days of grifting i think 50% is good. There is no point going higher because you need 20 hits with Chantodo anyway to maximize blast damage...i usually get archon to pop up before i get my chantodo stack to 20 already anyway.

I would agree that about 50% CDR or sliiiightly below you should be fine. :)

Would Ray of Frost be a viable alternative to arcane torrent? I'm grinding gear for this build and currently running a frost build until I get the gear to switch over. My hellfire amulet is 20% cold damage with the cold blooded passive, and I'd like to stick with that at least until one of the rare immunity amulets drop, and arcane torrent won't benefit at all from that, so I was wondering if I stuck with Ray of Frost if it would work well with the build or if arcane torrent is a must.

Since the Halo's effect has a range and the Ring of the Zodiac does not, why not cube the Halo instead?

Why not cube CoE so you get the highest dmg number and keep zodiac equipped? The small range from Halo is negligible.

If you have your highest elemental damage as lightning, will wydward proc off of archon damage?  I understand it's not a contender for best in slot ring, but I am still waiting on halo to drop.

Since the Halo's effect has a range and the Ring of the Zodiac does not, why not cube the Halo instead?

Why not cube CoE so you get the highest dmg number and keep zodiac equipped? The small range from Halo is negligible.

Same answer to both questions - CoE and Halo roll superior DPS stats to Zodiac, being able to roll CDR, both Crit stats and an open Socket. Downside of course being they are harder to obtain because of their unique property ranges.

Would Ray of Frost be a viable alternative to arcane torrent?

In short, Ray of Frost's tick rate would trigger the Zodiac effect slower - while not completely unviable, I wouldn't recommend it over Arcane Torrent.

First off, great guide and thanks for taking the time to create it.  Incredibly fun build to play and I used your guide to build my wizard.  

Now onto my question. I started out using arcane torrent as my damage dealer out of archon.  Then experimented with AT and Blizzard/Snowbound and then finally just dropped AT altogether and just spam blizzard. I find that I can reset my archon/build chantodo stacks significantly faster with blizzard and can spam it without fear of running out of AP.  

What is the advantage to using AT over blizzard/snowbound?  I realize that it does more damage but this build is all about getting into archon ASAP so I wouldn't think that would be relevant. 

First off, great guide and thanks for taking the time to create it.  Incredibly fun build to play and I used your guide to build my wizard.  

Now onto my question. I started out using arcane torrent as my damage dealer out of archon.  Then experimented with AT and Blizzard/Snowbound and then finally just dropped AT altogether and just spam blizzard. I find that I can reset my archon/build chantodo stacks significantly faster with blizzard and can spam it without fear of running out of AP.  

What is the advantage to using AT over blizzard/snowbound?  I realize that it does more damage but this build is all about getting into archon ASAP so I wouldn't think that would be relevant. 

Big fan of this build, much fun.

Similar to the above, with 50% CdR I've found that the vanilla build just doesn't get my Chantodo's up fast enough : Archon is ready again when I'm at 10/12 ish.

Replacing Frost Nova with Blizzard/Snowbound allows me to hit 20 Chantodo's faster: around the same time as Archon comes back up and building my Archon stacks better.  I've found it to allow me to push harder : GR 47 solo.  (I am, however, missing The Aether Walker)

Just wondering if you see a downside to this as I progress ?

Just my 2 cents but you are better off dropping magic weapon than frost nova if you want to add blizzard.  I'm presuming you are keeping arcane torrent with blizzard since you dropped frost nova.  That's the build i'm running now as well.  Since my last post, I've tried AT + Blizzard again and found that the animation cancel allows you to reset super fast.

By dropping frost nova, you are dumping deep freeze which constantly procs from halo of arlyse and that's a massive 10% crit chance boost.  You are going to get way more damage from that than you will from the 10% boost from magic weapon and I haven't missed the shield rune either. 

Just started this build, and I'm impressed by the potential this build has for extensive damage output. Though, I have one concern about this build that I was hoping to get insight on.

While using Arcane Torrent, my Arcane Power starts off ok, but eventually plummets; especially when I'm out of Archon with damage stacks remaining for the additional 20 seconds after leaving Archon form. Is this normal, or am I missing something, or doing something wrong?

Thanks

While using Arcane Torrent, my Arcane Power starts off ok, but eventually plummets; especially when I'm out of Archon with damage stacks remaining for the additional 20 seconds after leaving Archon form. Is this normal, or am I missing something, or doing something wrong?

AP will be drained away for sure, but as long as good density of monsters is present and you are not lacking Arcane Power on Crit on the offhand, things should not get out of hand.

AP will be drained away for sure, but as long as good density of monsters is present and you are not lacking Arcane Power on Crit on the offhand, things should not get out of hand.

Thumpasaur has a point, but as you gain paragon levels and put points in Resource Cost Reduction and AP, you'll find that the it doesn't remain such a problem any more. Also, APoC on the source helps quite a bit with this. 

One variant I tried takes the arcane power on hit rune for magic weapon. This very much addresses the AP issue at the cost of some survivability. 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0