FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

Hearthstone Legendary Dragon Warrior TGT

Without the usual activators, would a card like Ragnaros or KT be better/worse than Grommash in the deck? I have him, was just wondering what you thought

Edited by cheeznuts

About the same, Grom is definitely much weaker in this deck than most Warriors, but it's still a really good late game board control tool, and the DB activator is still there.

Guest mithra

great deck sottle! this dragon warrior version is definitely stronger than the last one with the addition of the twilight guardians and alexstraza's champions to fight early aggro aggression, chillmaw is also really good against aggro and patron warrior. do you think this deck is superior to the standard control warrior or weaker? and are you gonna post a tgt standard control warrior soon also?

I think it might be better yeah, I will post a standard Control Warrior soon, but it's pretty much just regular Control Warrior with Varian in it, so the deck's not that exciting to me right now.

Guest JakeTehNutaa

I'm W/L 1/5 with this deck.. I don't know how :'(

Guest mithra

yeah i think the dragon warrior is gonna be stronger due to the great synergy among the dragons

Guest Mithra

Oh another silly question, why isn't sylvanas included in the deck and emperor is in her spot? Isn't she a staple in any control warrior deck including the dragon one?

Guest IVIaximo

What about Justicar Trueheart in this deck? Against aggro this card played between turn 6-8 can straight up win u the game. Seeing as I dont have Grommash this should be ok, I think...

Oh another silly question, why isn't sylvanas included in the deck and emperor is in her spot? Isn't she a staple in any control warrior deck including the dragon one?

Emperor is better imo, This deck can already fight for the board so well it doesn't need Sylvanas, and without Emperor you can get bogged down with the one card per turn thing in the late-game. Emperor can also make silly things happen with Varian, like pulling out the Execute or Shield Slam you need desperately.

What about Justicar Trueheart in this deck? Against aggro this card played between turn 6-8 can straight up win u the game. Seeing as I dont have Grommash this should be ok, I think...

Shieldmaiden already nets 5 Armor immediately, to get more value out of Justicar than a Shieldmaiden, you need to Hero Power 3 times after you've used it. Let's call it 4, since you're already playing a weaker body as well. After turn 6, you're trying to bomb chain your opponent and just drop big guy after big guy, so you don't really have the spare Mana to be Hero Powering.

If you're missing one of the late-game cards though, it's probably a decent substitute.

In this deck I've usually retained board control with the assortment of weapons and monsters that i replaced Grommash with Nefarian as i feel the card advantage he gives makes up for the lack of AoP and his activators. The winrate with it seems to of increased with that change by about 5% though i'm only playing between rank 9-10 at the moment with it.

Edit: And of course he is another Dragon Activator.

Edited by TwitchTA
  • Like 1

Guest DarkStrife

What do you think about replacing Grommash with a brawl if fighting heavy aggro decks?

Thnx for the reply Sottle! Besides Justicar I have other options to replace Grom. Which would u recommend, Nefarian, Icehowl, Kelt?

Guest Ger_Nimrat_Guest

Varian can mess up a lot of beautiful battlecry-effects in this deck sad.png

Guest Rst

This deck is terrible. No draw, no armor gain, no finisher. Most of the minions have battlecry so 10 drop is a joke. Seriously, how are you supposed to remove 4 giants for example? Or lets make it more realistic. 4 Giants and Malganis. You have one damn execute, 0 Whirlwind to activate it. Ok, most optimistically you can do Shield block, hero power -> 7 damage. 2 times. Ok, 2 giants gone, if you had board before. Lets assume you did. One more takes BGH. One more execute.What are you supposed to do with Mal ganis? Dr.Boom? Oh I can answer. this deck is not legend viable, it is shit.

This deck is terrible. No draw, no armor gain, no finisher. Most of the minions have battlecry so 10 drop is a joke. Seriously, how are you supposed to remove 4 giants for example? Or lets make it more realistic. 4 Giants and Malganis. You have one damn execute, 0 Whirlwind to activate it. Ok, most optimistically you can do Shield block, hero power -> 7 damage. 2 times. Ok, 2 giants gone, if you had board before. Lets assume you did. One more takes BGH. One more execute.What are you supposed to do with Mal ganis? Dr.Boom? Oh I can answer. this deck is not legend viable, it is shit.

Draws: Shield Block, Varian Wrynn, Azure Drake and Ysera (sort of). You can draw total of 7 cards from your deck. It should be enough to keep you going.

Armor Gains: Bash, Shield Block, Shieldmaiden. Total of 23 armour gained, not counting your hero power. That is a lot of armour and should let you live multiple turns.

Big Removals: Execute, Shield Slam, Grommash, BGH. A total of 5 big removals, allowing you to sustain 4 Giants and Mal'Ganis. Execute can be used after Death's Bite, Bash, Blackwing Corruptor, Chillmaw and Boom Bots. It seems to me that there are enough activators.

This deck is, at the very least, good enough to get you to legend. However, to get to legend, not only you have to have a good deck, but more importantly, you have to be a skilled player. Try playing more to get some experience instead of whining and blaming the decks.

Guest Rst

I appreciate the feedback, but that was not about legend, that was about superiority of regular control warrior in this meta.

Also I can contradict most parts of your reply with detailed explanation.

Due to the fact that this deck has less armor gain, than regular control warrior (no Armorthsmith), we can almost always say that to use Shield Slam effectively we MUST use it with Shield Block.

So, if we need draw and we use shield block for draw, we have no activator for shield slam.

Varian is not a draw. It is 10 mana creature, and if we use it for draw, it means that we are super behind. And even if he puts 3 creatures on board, 15 out of 18 remainins creatures have essential battlecry effects.

Let's assume that Azure Drake is a draw, still only 1 card. Ysera? 1 more card. So a total of 3 card of draw, or 5 cards and we have no activator for Shield Slam.

Armor Gains: Total of 23, but It is not even close with 35+ if we use armorsmiths.

Big removals: Execute? Ok. Shield Slam? Ok. BGH? Ok.

Grommash? Really? Not finisher, but Big Removal? How are you supposed to win then? Is it fatigue deck?

You know what I will just stop explaining, because it is just math and if you can not get it yourself I doubt you will listen to some random guy on the internet.

And yeah go play this deck on ladder, will meet me at my rank 20, because you are so sure I am rank 20, don't you? smile.png

Draws: Shield Block, Varian Wrynn, Azure Drake and Ysera (sort of). You can draw total of 7 cards from your deck. It should be enough to keep you going.

Armor Gains: Bash, Shield Block, Shieldmaiden. Total of 23 armour gained, not counting your hero power. That is a lot of armour and should let you live multiple turns.

Big Removals: Execute, Shield Slam, Grommash, BGH. A total of 5 big removals, allowing you to sustain 4 Giants and Mal'Ganis. Execute can be used after Death's Bite, Bash, Blackwing Corruptor, Chillmaw and Boom Bots. It seems to me that there are enough activators.

This deck is, at the very least, good enough to get you to legend. However, to get to legend, not only you have to have a good deck, but more importantly, you have to be a skilled player. Try playing more to get some experience instead of whining and blaming the decks.

You're thinking of this deck as Control Warrior, it's not Control Warrior. If you want to play Control Warrior, we have that too.

You know what also works pretty well as removal? Having minions on the board. You know what works as a win condition if you've used Grom for board control? Having minions on the board. You know what helps you to stack up armor? Having minions on the board your opponent has to deal with.

Due to the fact that this deck has less armor gain, than regular control warrior (no Armorthsmith), we can almost always say that to use Shield Slam effectively we MUST use it with Shield Block.

Incorrect. You're playing minions onto the board, this is the point you consistently miss throughout. This means you get to retain armor much more often, because less attacks are going through to your face, you have a board that needs dealing with much more often.

Armor Gains: Total of 23, but It is not even close with 35+ if we use armorsmiths.

I would love to live in your world where Armorsmiths consistently net 12+ armor every game, but unfortunately that is not reality.

Big removals: Execute? Ok. Shield Slam? Ok. BGH? Ok.

Grommash? Really? Not finisher, but Big Removal? How are you supposed to win then? Is it fatigue deck?

You win with minions.

To add to the list of removal options, and i'll do it in relation to Giants, since that's the example you're using.

- Blackwing Corruptor + Attack with Shieldmaiden

- Bash + Attack with Shieldmaiden

- Hit with 2nd swing Deaths Bite + Bash

- Hit with with 2nd swing Deaths Bite + Blackwing Corruptor

- (About a dozen other permutations)

And yeah go play this deck on ladder, will meet me at my rank 20, because you are so sure I am rank 20, don't you? smile.png

I did when I posted it, I went 8-1. One of my friends also used this deck to get top 4 in a big UK LAN.

Minions.

• Like 4

Guest Tysknaden

A joy playing this deck! In a clean and clear way this TGT Dragon Warrior does accomplish the task of winning the game. Thanks to Sottle!

Guest TheAngryGnome

Okay, so...is Varian actually good? I've seen a LOT of people saying he is bad, and providing some pretty solid reasoning. 

Guest Tysknaden

Okay, so...is Varian actually good? I've seen a LOT of people saying he is bad, and providing some pretty solid reasoning.

It's actually a game-winning card - as long, as one is having enough big minions sitting in the deck. At Varian's turn, the battlecries shouldn't be thaaat needed, anymore.

Yes. I'm not in the habit of putting cards in my deck that I don't think are good. I'm not putting the card up on a pedestal like some people are, at some point it may be cut from the deck, but right now, I think it's extremely good. If you have solid reasons why you think it's bad, then please do share, i'd love to have the discussion.

Guest TeamAmerica

Hello Sottle, i have really liked this deck so far and got up to rank 5 so far this month, but i have noticed that i REALLY STRUGGLE vs every paladin deck, especially secret paladin, they just flood the board with minions which takes everything i have and then turn 6 im stretched so thin they just take over with mysterious challenger.

do you have any advice for the matchup  or a suggested tech card to help that matchup?

Sign in to follow this