FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

Secret Paladin Wild

Guest Chip

How dare you replace Tirion or Boom???? These are key cards in this deck and both saved my game several times.

How dare you replace Tirion or Boom???? These are key cards in this deck and both saved my game several times.

Neither Boom nor Tirion are the core cards of this deck and therefore can be replaced if a player doesn't own them. The core cards are Secrets (mainly Avenge and Get Down!) + Mysterious Challenger. All the other cards can be replaced in case of budget limitation. Just because they saved you a few times doesn't mean they are core cards. 

However, if the changes are made, the playstyle should be bit more aggressive.

Here we go, my 500th post on this forum. Yay!

So, I'm not sure if I've just been very unlucky, or am doing something majorly wrong with the deck.  I put it together, and the only sub I made was a sword of justice in place of Coghammer (didn't have one, and couldn't justify the 400 dust to make it), yet, I have only won two of eight games so far.  2 mages, 2 hunters, another pally, 2 warriors (split on them), and a druid who surrendered as soon as I dropped turn 1 secretkeeper (so doesn't really count).  (Four of those losses were trying it in ranked from 13, dropped to 14 from it. )

I'm going to keep trying it, but, it's far from the 'god-tier' deck archetype that people seem to be finding it from my initial experiences.

I've also had terrible luck with my MC, haven't had one pull more than 2 secrets, and haven't gotten one by t6 either.  I've been mulling it as suggested in the guide, but I just don't know what is screwing things up.  (The one game I legitimately won was pretty much because shenanigans with secrets on a piloted shredder, followed by Tirion)

Are there some changes you would make to the deck to adjust it in the few weeks since it's been posted?  I'm trying to think of a few, but am mostly coming up blank, as the deck looks solid on paper.

Edit: Added final question.

Edited by NonsenseKing

You can swap Argent Squire and Secretkeeper. Secretkeeper is basically a tech card because it gets buffed by opponent's secrets as well. 

SoJ is not a suitable replacement and causes too much tempo loss. A second Truesilver/Consecration should be a better budget swap.

Also, I don't run 2 Belcher, only one. I play a Murloc Knight in his place. Maybe it will work for you, maybe it won't. You just have to try it out. 

If you play on EU server, I could spectate you sometimes and tell you what you are doing wrong. 

So, after getting a lot more games in with it, I've had much more success. 

@positiv2

I think you're probably right about the SoJ not being great, it often feels weak, and really only seems particularly useful when I can drop it right before a Muster for Battle or an MC. 

Secretkeeper has delivered pretty nicely a couple of times, but, it seems like Argent Squire is much more consistent, so I'll probably make that swap. (Particularly since Secretkeeper doesn't trigger on the secrets brought in by MC.)

I unfortunately play on NA, so spectating isn't an option, but thanks for the offer!  I think many of my issues were just growing pains getting to know the deck.

If Coghammer is that important to the deck for tempo and general advantage, I might end up crafting one, but for now I swapped in a second Consecration in place of the SoJ.  Thanks for the help!

Coghammer often saves the day, but sometimes sits in the hand. It can turn the game very often and I like it, but is not necessary card as it can do almost nothing sometimes. Investing in other decks and buying GvG packs (unless you play arena or save for adventures, of course) is probably better.

Guest Nicklas

I play this deck with few changes cause iam new inda game.,.but id like to ask u is there any chance survive or beat  this combo what happens recently to me? Turn 5 was clear board, he plays sludge, turn 6 mysterious turn 7 dr.BOOM and 8 that fokin trion ...? Is there  any chance or its just insta win vs all deck currently? thank you

PS: what a lucker

I play this deck with few changes cause iam new inda game.,.but id like to ask u is there any chance survive or beat  this combo what happens recently to me? Turn 5 was clear board, he plays sludge, turn 6 mysterious turn 7 dr.BOOM and 8 that fokin trion ...? Is there  any chance or its just insta win vs all deck currently? thank you

When a secret paladin draws like that, I don't think you stand much of a chance of winning regardless of what deck you are using. Fortunately, that does not happen every game. In my opinion SP isn't even that good anymore, people just play it because it's ridiculously easy to play with and allows people who belong at rank 15 to get to legend with little effort.

• Like 1

I love playing against this deck with my Control Priest. If he only has mysterious challenger on the board, the shadow word: death tends to be amazing. If not, then light bomb tends to clear. In my opinion, due to the large number of secret decks I face, Control Priest is the best bet in the meta. Against this deck, I have an 85% win rate. The only decks that wreck Priest are few; the occasional tempo Mage and rare fatigue Warrior.

It's the most powerful curve in the game for sure, but it can be beaten. Lightbomb and Entomb are great answers from Priest, strong tempo removals like Execute and BGH can pull you back in, and there's the opportunity for decks like Zoo or Patron Warrior to get too far ahead before turn 6 to worry about the late-game curve.

• Like 2

Guest scourcher

Love this deck, reached rank 6 with it without any struggle. Missing keeper of uldaman though, would HoJ be an good replacment? Currently using a second haunted creeper instead

I just started using this deck and I've been destroying most opponents.

Only match-up that seems to be next to impossible is the dragon priest deck. The massively buffed minions they can play from the very start gives them board domination from the start, and I end up having to kill all of my minions against their taunts.

Any tips against them?

Also what is the best opening hand against mirror matches?

Guest ShadowDragon12368

Hi guys, is this the standard list? The other one labeled Sottle's secret pally isn't right? That one runs argent squire and nerubian egg and its kinda weird. Also, the most common secret pallys are midrange not aggro right? What benefits, if there is any, does aggro offer over mid secrets? Is midrange secrets more consistent/mainstream? should i run mid secrets or aggro secrets?

Guest Joseph

Hey Sottle! Just want to say how much I appreciate all the decks you put up, they are all very competitive and often when people are whinging they are mistakes in their games that cost them the win.

I was just wondering since I don't have Coghammer or Tirion I've substituted them with Murloc Knight and Kelthuzad. I've found with Kel in there he works really well with the sludge belchers or shredders provided one of them doesn't random a doomsayer when it dies!

I am wondering is Annoy-a-tron a good swap for Coghammer since it is also anti aggro? Could also be played same turn as Kel

Guest Joseph

Hey Sottle! Just want to say how much I appreciate all the decks you put up, they are all very competitive and often when people are whinging they are mistakes in their games that cost them the win.

I was just wondering since I don't have Coghammer or Tirion I've substituted them with Murloc Knight and Kelthuzad. I've found with Kel in there he works really well with the sludge belchers or shredders provided one of them doesn't random a doomsayer when it dies!

I am wondering is Annoy-a-tron a good swap for Coghammer since it is also anti aggro? Could also be played same turn as Kel

Guest Guest

I fail to see how this deck can be named SECRETS with so few secrets in the deck.  Then I read the comments about how not drawing Mysterious Challenger by turn 6 is an issue.  By turn 6, you may have already played a bunch of secrets, and when you drop him, you might get 1 or 2 secrets out.  The list I run has 10 secrets total, (2 copies of each that I use) and 9/10 times I will get 5 secrets in play when I drop Mysterious into play.  Why blessing of the kings over Quartermaster?  A late game play of 4 1/1's turning into 3/3's and having a 2/5 and a 1/4 weapon can help greatly.  Add in a knife juggler instead of having 4 1/1's for more fun. 

Sorry, but I've played against this deck too often with my paladin SECRET deck and have stomped it every time.  What are the odds everyone I've played is a total scrub that doesn't know how to play the game?  Mostly unlikely, especially if they are netdecking.  Just saying, this is a subpar deck.

Guest kasra

i've been playing this deck for 3,4 months now and the best rank i achieved was 5. i did some modifications, for example i use Harrison Jones instead of Loatheb, which is very helpful against shamans and hunters that are swarming these days. i use Big Game Hunter ( it's very situational, sometime i have to keep it in my hand, but sometimes it saves my game). i also use Aldor Peacekeeper which proved to be very helpful. There are some problems with this deck, like against priests and mages, most of the time there is nothing i can do. or with those aggro decks that tend to deal a lot of damage before i get to turn 6. but it has a lot of potential, and more importantly, i have fun playing with it. (thats what she said) :D

15 hours ago, Guest kasra said:

it has a lot of potential, and more importantly, i have fun playing with it. (thats what she said) :D

I'm glad to hear that it is working well for you! Good job on the ranking up and good luck with getting higher :)

6 hours ago, Guest Castlevania said:

Any room for mechano-egg?

Secret paladin focuses on strong proactive plays, and Mechano-Egg just does not fit in that group of cards, especially without mech package. You would be better off with Nerubian Egg, but even that does not fit in the deck too well for the same reasons, despite lower mana cost and being on curve with Coghammer, and one turn later with Blessing of Kings and Keeper of Uldaman.