FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Redcross

How do I link items / achievements?

Pretty much as the title says really, How exactly do I link WoW items and achievements into a post on these forums? When I try to use the "Link" option, I seem to only show the URL of the item I am trying to link to.

Well, there is no such thing at the moment, and this is something I will be working on. Vlad, Madmonk, and I have the right to use HTML, and this is the only reason why we can properly format the links. This is because we have specific access privileges. Security issues will arise if we enable everyone to use HTML.

I am going to try and see how I can add something intuitive.

Write out the "title" or wording of what you are trying to link then highlight and choose the link option. This will embed it to the wording you had highlighted.

• Like 1

If you are trying to link a spell or item I use Wowhead.

So for example you want to link Flask of the Winds I go to wowhead, search for the item and then copy the web address.

http://www.wowhead.c...sk-of-the-winds

All you do then is type the word you want to link to as Hardbeatz says and click the link icon, then paste the Wowhead url.

Flask of the WInds

Its a little bit long winded and means you need to use wowhead etc but it makes your posts a bit more shiny

Edited by Peelyon
  • Like 1

I want to make something that enables you guys to use proper colors in the links. For example, Flask of the Winds is a common quality item and you should be able to make it appear in white, if you wish to do so.

If you are trying to link a spell or item I use Wowhead.

So for example you want to link Flask of the Winds I go to wowhead, search for the item and then copy the web address.

http://www.wowhead.c...sk-of-the-winds

All you do then is type the word you want to link to as Hardbeatz says and click the link icon, then paste the Wowhead url.

Flask of the WInds

Its a little bit long winded and means you need to use wowhead etc but it makes your posts a bit more shiny

Giving that a go.....

Halion, Staff of Forgotton Love

Seems to work .. Nice one! I don't mind linking from Wowhead as I nearly always have their page open at any given time.

• Like 1

Giving that a go.....

Halion, Staff of Forgotton Love

Seems to work .. Nice one! I don't mind linking from Wowhead as I nearly always have their page open at any given time.

Cool. Yeah it works the same for achievements as well, just do the same as above mate!

Ok so, big announcement here. I am not satisfied with the limited capabilities that the forums are currently offering you for posting properly looking wowhead links.

Therefore, I have decided to dedicate the next few days to adding a new feature to the editor (the one we're all using to write our posts). The idea is to add a new button with which you will be able to add wowhead links by just giving the id and the type. For example choosing "30451" and "spell", we will automatically get the following link:/images/wow_icon_spell_arcane_blast.jpg Arcane Blast.

I will add options so that you can decide if you want to add the icon (only for achievements, items, and spells). You will also be able to choose if you want the link to point to mop.wowhead.com, ptr.wowhead.com, or www.wowhead.com (the default choice). If you have any other idea, let me know.

Wish me luck!

• Like 1

Ok so, big announcement here. I am not satisfied with the limited capabilities that the forums are currently offering you for posting properly looking wowhead links.

Therefore, I have decided to dedicate the next few days to adding a new feature to the editor (the one we're all using to write our posts). The idea is to add a new button with which you will be able to add wowhead links by just giving the id and the type. For example choosing "30451" and "spell", we will automatically get the following link:/images/wow_icon_spell_arcane_blast.jpg Arcane Blast.

I will add options so that you can decide if you want to add the icon (only for achievements, items, and spells). You will also be able to choose if you want the link to point to mop.wowhead.com, ptr.wowhead.com, or www.wowhead.com (the default choice). If you have any other idea, let me know.

Wish me luck!

Only other thing I would suggest is that if there is a way to change the default of the link opening in a new window instead of the current window. I would think most people would not want to have their current window hijacked by the link.

Good luck!!Posted Image

Are the items going to get colored according to quality as well?

Yes, of course :P

Only other thing I would suggest is that if there is a way to change the default of the link opening in a new window instead of the current window. I would think most people would not want to have their current window hijacked by the link.

Thanks for spotting this. I'll modify the editor so that the links open in a new window ;)

PS: I haven't forgotten about the "What's new", "What's popular", and the tag cloud... They're next on the list.

Awesome stuff Damien, I suppose I'll have to edit my own posts at a later date then!

And here was me thinking you could have done it all for me, what with you having nothing else to do and all. Posted Image

Am feeling slightly guilty now for bringing this up :D But seriously, thanks for doing this. It would be a much needed and much used feature that I am sure everyone on the forums would very very greatly appreciate.

I'm all done, you should do see the "Wowhead" button in the editor. Simply click it, choose the type of link, enter the ID and there you go ;)

If the "Wowhead" button does not show, try refreshing your browser.

Ahhh I thought I was being rather blonde there (it happens lots), quick refresh and we are good to go.

But it's reallly well done, I like that you have a mini picture as well as just the item link. Because it's cute. And I am easily amused.

• Like 1