FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
daytoend

[Resto] Recently started WoD raids and need some help.

Ello, I made long pause of WoW (almost 4 years) and came back recently. Here are things I need assistance with if anyone got time to help cluelessly old-new Resto Druid:

Talents/Glyph/Class Trinket:

Now I know standard build is ToL + NV + Germ but I am not in a progression guild, I do HC PUGs and I really really really like SotF + DoC playstyle so I want to stick with it.

Giving which talents I picked how important is Rampant Growth as my last talent? Am I losing too much if I go MoC instead of it or is RG mandatory if I go SotF?

I have Druid Class trinket from Archi and with this build + that trinket I am unsure about which glyphs should I take. Is Blooming good with 4set + Seed trinket + my talents? Generally which glyphs should I pick for my setup?

About trinket, is Darmac's Unstable Talisman Mythic version better than class trinket giving that I am using DoC talent?

Gear:

Had some luck with PUG raiding in HC HFC and got a lot of new gear last week and today so now, considering my talent build, I am torn about Haste/Mastery vs higher ilvl.

I have 4 T18 sets I auto-equipped and that's fine but rest of the non-set gear is what troubles me. Before I had in all non-set gear slots Baleful Empowered ilvl695 with Haste/Mastery and Haste/Spirit (where is able) and I liked my haste spot a lot. New HC gear I got which ranges from ilvl705 to 715 all have stats like Multistrike and Crit.

Now logic tells me Int > ALL (go for higher ilvl) but wanted to double-check. Question is should I stick with Haste/Mastery Baleful epics or just go with higher ilvl int boost no matter what are secondary stats?

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps me, you are all bros!

Don't go Moment of Clarity. I would rather play with no talent at all than this, it is downright stupid.

Rampant Growth makes sense if you absolutely want to play with SotF, but ask yourself: do the encounters really require you to spam Wild Growth on cooldown? If that was the case, it would mean everyone was low all the time, in which case a Rejuvenation heavy playstyle would be superior. Wild Growth should rather be delayed and timed well to relieve stress when the damage is most intense. Germination is simply a no brainer.

Regarding the class trinket, it is rarely the better choice. The leech trinket is best-in-slot by several lengths, leaving one slot for either the mana reduction trinket or the class trinket. I would prefer the mana reduction trinket in most scenarios. There are so many healing abilities and effects that target people who are stacked (eg. Holy Prism, Healing Rain, Chain Heal, Rushing Jade Wind), so it's usually the guy standing by himself or the one targeted by a specific mechanic receiving heavy single target damage, that dies. The class trinket does nothing to prevent that, it is simply sniping heals. Furthermore the class trinket has no passive stats, which means you deal less damage as well, which especially matters when you use DoC. 

Regarding DoC vs HotW and NV:

You can really use any of the talents here, but DoC will often be the one underperforming. If you want to contribute with damage, a well timed HotW is so much more effective. A well timed NV will also deal a significant amount of damage. If you like the playstyle of DoC (and actually use it!), you should avoid mastery on your gear and enchant your weapon with haste, crit or multistrike.

Glyphs are pretty much set in stone. Glyph of Wild Growth for any raiding content. As I mentioned before, Wild Growth should be timed well for healing intensive periods of the fight and not used on cooldown. Therefore hitting one extra target is just a free gain as you shouldn't care too much about the increased cooldown. Note that it also increases the total throughput of the ability without increasing the mana cost, making it more mana efficient. 

Glyph of Stampeding Roar. The ability is basically useless without it, and Stampeding Roar is useful for about any fight.

Glyph of Regrowth. Having 100% critical strike chance on an emergency heal, that doesn't just heal for double when it crits, but triple due to Living Seed, is absolutely amazing. You don't want your emergency healing ability to suddenly not crit 3 times in a row causing a death you could've prevented.

As you can see this kinda impairs your ability to choose glyphs freely, but luckily none of the other glyphs are really worth much. Glyph of Blooming is theoretically an HPS and mana efficiency increase, but in reality you don't need a stronger Lifebloom, it overheals enough already. Would you for example be willing to lose 20% of your total haste in trade for a 50% stronger Tranquility? Nope, Tranquility already does it's job nicely, then problem is keeping people alive outside healing cooldowns. Same goes for Lifebloom, it is rarely the target with the Lifebloom that dies, but the ones without it, so why would you boost it at the cost of free globals? (as the shorter duration requires you to refresh it more often).

For gear you want to use the items with the highest ilvl, generally speaking. Haste is a lot better than any other stat, but it probably won't be worth losing 5 ilvls to maintain it on your item. Do note though, that sockets are worth nearly 10 ilvls if you fill it with a 75 haste gem.

I am a 13/13 mythic resto druid for your information.

I would agree with Shedim about Germination being better choice for every situation.

I don't know why you are saying that NV is a standard choice, I would say that it's rather a dps druid talent.

Our resto druids are using DoC on farm fights (it's not limited by CD like NV) and HotW on progress. One more strong healing CD (during progress) is better for heavy damage boss phases than a possibility to dps with some healing done especially for a comp like Holy Pala + Disc + Resto Druid, I think.

Sorry for late response.

Don't go Moment of Clarity. I would rather play with no talent at all than this, it is downright stupid.

Rampant Growth makes sense if you absolutely want to play with SotF, but ask yourself: do the encounters really require you to spam Wild Growth on cooldown? If that was the case, it would mean everyone was low all the time, in which case a Rejuvenation heavy playstyle would be superior. Wild Growth should rather be delayed and timed well to relieve stress when the damage is most intense. Germination is simply a no brainer.

Regarding the class trinket, it is rarely the better choice. The leech trinket is best-in-slot by several lengths, leaving one slot for either the mana reduction trinket or the class trinket. I would prefer the mana reduction trinket in most scenarios. There are so many healing abilities and effects that target people who are stacked (eg. Holy Prism, Healing Rain, Chain Heal, Rushing Jade Wind), so it's usually the guy standing by himself or the one targeted by a specific mechanic receiving heavy single target damage, that dies. The class trinket does nothing to prevent that, it is simply sniping heals. Furthermore the class trinket has no passive stats, which means you deal less damage as well, which especially matters when you use DoC. 

Regarding DoC vs HotW and NV:

You can really use any of the talents here, but DoC will often be the one underperforming. If you want to contribute with damage, a well timed HotW is so much more effective. A well timed NV will also deal a significant amount of damage. If you like the playstyle of DoC (and actually use it!), you should avoid mastery on your gear and enchant your weapon with haste, crit or multistrike.

Glyphs are pretty much set in stone. Glyph of Wild Growth for any raiding content. As I mentioned before, Wild Growth should be timed well for healing intensive periods of the fight and not used on cooldown. Therefore hitting one extra target is just a free gain as you shouldn't care too much about the increased cooldown. Note that it also increases the total throughput of the ability without increasing the mana cost, making it more mana efficient. 

Glyph of Stampeding Roar. The ability is basically useless without it, and Stampeding Roar is useful for about any fight.

Glyph of Regrowth. Having 100% critical strike chance on an emergency heal, that doesn't just heal for double when it crits, but triple due to Living Seed, is absolutely amazing. You don't want your emergency healing ability to suddenly not crit 3 times in a row causing a death you could've prevented.

As you can see this kinda impairs your ability to choose glyphs freely, but luckily none of the other glyphs are really worth much. Glyph of Blooming is theoretically an HPS and mana efficiency increase, but in reality you don't need a stronger Lifebloom, it overheals enough already. Would you for example be willing to lose 20% of your total haste in trade for a 50% stronger Tranquility? Nope, Tranquility already does it's job nicely, then problem is keeping people alive outside healing cooldowns. Same goes for Lifebloom, it is rarely the target with the Lifebloom that dies, but the ones without it, so why would you boost it at the cost of free globals? (as the shorter duration requires you to refresh it more often).

For gear you want to use the items with the highest ilvl, generally speaking. Haste is a lot better than any other stat, but it probably won't be worth losing 5 ilvls to maintain it on your item. Do note though, that sockets are worth nearly 10 ilvls if you fill it with a 75 haste gem.

I am a 13/13 mythic resto druid for your information.

Wow, thank you for such an amazing answer, helped a lot.

So lets assume I really want to play with SotF and DoC in 13/13 HFC HC runs.

Now knowing my talents and that I have 4set parts my question is:

Which lv100 talent I should go. I decided to follow your advice and drop MoC but which should be better Germ or RG? I've been told both and would like to hear what you think. SotF+Germ sounds like some nice middle-ground choice.

Trinket: I think you misunderstood me. I don't have Leech trinket yet, not even normal version and if/when I get it I'll surely use it. My trinket options are Demonic Phylactery (mana reduction) normal, SoC (class trinket) normal and Darmac's Unstable Talisman (374 int and 2652 Haste proc) Mythic. Again, giving that I am using SotF/DoC talents which is best combo? I really like mana reduction trinket and I'll stick to it but can't decide if SoC or Darmac's are better for my setup. I tried SoC and it does 10%-18% healing but didn't have chance to test Darmac's yet. In theory it should be really good if I use DoC but is it better than SoC?

Glyphs: all understood, no questions there.

Stats: all understood except for weapon enchant. I already have my gear enchanted with Haste except for weapon. Just want to make sure, I should drop Spirit wep enchant and use one of "dps" ones Haste, Crit or Multistrike?

Once more, THANK YOU!

I would agree with Shedim about Germination being better choice for every situation.

I don't know why you are saying that NV is a standard choice, I would say that it's rather a dps druid talent.

Our resto druids are using DoC on farm fights (it's not limited by CD like NV) and HotW on progress. One more strong healing CD (during progress) is better for heavy damage boss phases than a possibility to dps with some healing done especially for a comp like Holy Pala + Disc + Resto Druid, I think.

I said NV is standard choice because 98% of HC/Myth geared Druids I saw in my HC raids use it and because guides I found (this website's guide too) seem to put NV ahead of other talents for general/default use.

Any of your guild's Resto Druids use SotF and which lv100 talent they have paired with SotF? Still Germ?

Rampant Growth is an extremely niche talent, that if not used correctly is worse than not having a talent at all. I would advice you to use Germination in every possible situation. 

Class trinket is not really that good. Especially if you use DoC and SotF. It is useful in a few situations, but if you want to use it you really need to go Incarnation. If you intend to stay SotF/DoC/Germination then play with the Darmac trinket.

I used a crit enchant for Archimonde Mythic on my weapon, as mana wasn't an issue. Haste enchant brings me over the cap during Hero+HotW and mastery has no offensive value (I did 5.11M damage with 77 Wraths and 41 Moonfires cast).

I have tried to run DoC on many bosses, but it isn't worth it anymore. The talent was greater earlier this expansion, when mana was a struggle, but now with nearly infinite mana I don't see any application for it as both NV and HotW can produce better DPS while having healing utility at the same time.