FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
twdant

Robbed of a Win

What?!? I got robbed!

I was just playing a Hunter Face list against a Paladin. Everything went expectably, turn 7 he had a substantial board and I had nothing on my board and one card in my hand, Explosive Trap. On my turn, I was at one health, and he was at 7. I drew an Eaglehorn Bow, and thought, "Sweet, I win". I played the Explosive trap, the Eaglehorn Bow, and my hero power, bringing him down to 5 health. I hit his face with my weapon, and let him at 2 health, leaving the Explosive Trap to inevitably do the final deed. On his turn, he equips a Truesilver Champion and swings at my face. Before the hit, and before the +2 health from Truesilver triggered, my trap went off and brought him to 0 health. It even showed 0 on his face card. The animation for his hit skipped a couple of times, then he hit and killed me, and healed from 0 to 2 health, and I lost! I thought as soon as you bring the other hero to 0, it's game over. Is this a known thing?

A Hero can't die during a phase (in this case an attack preparation phase). During this phase you trap triggers, mortally wounds him, the phase continues, he heals and is no longer mortally wounded and loses his flag. Then the attack happens and you get dealt damage, in this case lethal damage, you were "mortally wounded" and flagged for death at the end of the phase. The phase checked for deaths and as you were at 0 HP while he was at 2, so you lost. I might be mistaken in some things, but it happened somehow like this. If you want to read more, there is an Advanced rulebook on Gamepedia (specifically the last paragraph of Combat section)