FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Tortie

Returning to Wow - what fits the bill?

Hi there

I'm returning to Wow after a long hiatus and as normal a lot of guildies etc are in hiding at this point in the expAC.

Wanting to start from scratch I'm looking for a class suggestion based on being able to solo achievements and old content as well as starting to look towards some higher level content primarily dps.

No matter how many guides I read it only gives me a feel for what buttons to press, rather than the experience of the class.

From prior play I'm presuming my realistic options are monk/druid/warlock - not a massive fan of DKS.

Any words of advice appreciated.

Cheers

I would suggest for druid if you want to be able to solo old content, achievements and be a high dps in the current raid tier.

You can respec the druid to tank / healer / melee dps / ranged dps depending on your needs and this class is pretty decent in all roles.

Monk isn't bad too and is able to perform in all three roles, but has a very special playstyle - you have to like it and be really good to play monk on high level.

Warlock is a pure dps - a good one, that's true - but I don't know how easy it would be to solo content with this class.

Btw, you forgot a Paladin for some reason or you are not fond of plate melee?

Monks and DKs are the best classes for soloing the hardest of content, including normal mode bosses from this expac. After that, hunters come in at a close third, but also bring to the table some of the best dps in the game and are pretty easy to pick up. If you're just looking to solo stuff like WotLK and Cata raids, then just about any class will do fine, with some having slightly more difficulty in 25H Cata bosses (mages and warriors will have trouble since they have little self healing).

Brilliant, thanks for the feedback. Think it'll be between druid or monk - after having a low level mess around still not keen on pets.

I don't mind paladin as such but they don't excite me as much as I'd like.

I myself play a DK and I find it a very strong choice for soloing, cannot reccomend it enough. They have a lot of mitigating cooldowns and a crazy self healing mechanic through Death Strike. For soloing Blood DK (tank) is the way to go.

In a melee dps front Frost DK is strong in both singletarget and aoe atm. Unholy DK especially shine in aoe at this moment.

All three specs are going to go through some major changes in the next expansion.