FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Noshimo

Any log readers care to look and help me improve Arcane DPS?

Hi :) So, I used to be awesome at mage throughout the years, until WoD. It seems now, I can only do "average" at best.

Here's my armory link - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/eonar/Xaliden/simple

And here's a parse I took, which has a few boss fights and myself against a training dummy as a fight in the Trash section.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/RtH4JbazXx2DdGv3/

I have 693 iLevel and I feel like I'm really well optimized for an Arcane Mage. I used to be spec'd into the Arcane Orb and Nether Tempest talents. I've been using the Prismatic Crystal and Supernova for over a month now and when I've done DPS comparisons, it's basically the same for me. I was doing 28K on average, then suddenly bumped up to 34K on average and that's basically been where I've stuck.

I feel like I should be doing higher than that, maybe around 50K or so? Or at least in the 40's? But it's like I just can't get there and I don't know why. I know my rotation isn't always perfection, but I think it's usually pretty good.

Is there something I'm missing?

Okay. So first of all your opener is all wrong. You should open by popping Pot, and start precasting arcane blast 2 seconds before the boss is pulled. From there, continue casting Arcane blast untill you have 4 stacks. When you are at 4 stacks, use your Arcane Power, put down your Prismatic Crystal, and continue casting Arcane blast into the crystal. Use your Supernovas at the final seconds of Crystals uptime. 

Okay. So first of all your opener is all wrong. You should open by popping Pot, and start precasting arcane blast 2 seconds before the boss is pulled. From there, continue casting Arcane blast untill you have 4 stacks. When you are at 4 stacks, use your Arcane Power, put down your Prismatic Crystal, and continue casting Arcane blast into the crystal. Use your Supernovas at the final seconds of Crystals uptime. 

Made an account just so I can reply to this. Anyways 

+1

I'd just like to point out that, casting Supernova right when you put down the crystal is slightly more efficient. Due to the fact that the damge of Supernova scales of your mana. And at the very last seconds of your crystal your mana should be at approx 35-40%. Therefore, casting supernova at the last seconds is a slight dps decrease.

OT: Make sure you do not drain your mana sub 90% during conserve phase. Don't just spam while you have a stack of Arcane Missile. Always try to have 1-2 charges while you build up your Arcane Charges, and make sure you don't spend them until you have 3-4 Arcane Charges.

I had been wondering if it was better to just shoot at the crystal, regardless of how many stacks of arcane blast I had built up...I wasn't sure if the bonus damage would pass on through the crystal or not. So that's why I had been just shooting everythign I could at it for the most number of hits possible.

So is it a good idea or not to use arcane missiles on the crystal? I was thinking that it was, due to the number of hits you'd get in rapid fire.