Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Prophet001

Affliction mechanics

5 posts in this topic

Hi All.

First, thank you for putting up these guides. They have been really helpful to me and even enjoyable to read. I learned a lot from Zagam's Affliction guide but I have a few other questions.

My lock is pretty young so I'm not really concerned with his stats and build. I'm more concerned with some of the mechanics of Affliction. Primarily, do the Affliction DOTs get modified by Haunt if they are already up when Haunt is cast? I've seen a few places where the rotation was DOTs > Haunt and it seems to me that Haunt should already be up to give the increased damage to your DOTs when they are applied. Just wondering if this mattered or not.

My other question had to do with DOT ticks. It's not exceptionally important since Blizz easy modes us with Pandemic but when is the last tick of a DOT? Does the DOT tick right before it falls off? If you didn't have Pandemic would you wait for Corruption and Unstable Affliction to fall off before you reapplied them so that you could get the last tick out of them?

Thank you for your help and posts! They are appreciated.

P.S.

Zagam,

I'm not sure if you ever played Rift or not but there was a spec in Rift Vanilla called "Defilemancer." It was an absolute dream and really took the concept of DOTs and stat snapshots to the next level. If you like Affliction, you would have loved it.

Edited by Prophet001

Hi All.

First, thank you for putting up these guides. They have been really helpful to me and even enjoyable to read. I learned a lot from Zagam's Affliction guide but I have a few other questions.

My lock is pretty young so I'm not really concerned with his stats and build. I'm more concerned with some of the mechanics of Affliction. Primarily, do the Affliction DOTs get modified by Haunt if they are already up when Haunt is cast? I've seen a few places where the rotation was DOTs > Haunt and it seems to me that Haunt should already be up to give the increased damage to your DOTs when they are applied. Just wondering if this mattered or not.

My other question had to do with DOT ticks. It's not exceptionally important since Blizz easy modes us with Pandemic but when is the last tick of a DOT? Does the DOT tick right before it falls off? If you didn't have Pandemic would you wait for Corruption and Unstable Affliction to fall off before you reapplied them so that you could get the last tick out of them?

Thank you for your help and posts! They are appreciated.

P.S.

Zagam,

I'm not sure if you ever played Rift or not but there was a spec in Rift Vanilla called "Defilemancer." It was an absolute dream and really took the concept of DOTs and stat snapshots to the next level. If you like Affliction, you would have loved it.

I'll answer your questions in order.

1) Haunt is a debuff. Debuffs update damage modifiers dynamically. Anything you do to that boss is IMMEDIATELY increased 25% for the duration of Haunt. Important to remember during execute phase because if you get Haunt to land a fraction of a second before it falls off, that Haunt will hit for 25% more.

2) Dots tick with a certain speed, so their last tick is haste dependent. Without getting into gorey numbers, lets just assume you have a DoT that lasts for 5 seconds and ticks every 1 second. Your tick time would look like this:

t=1, t=2, t=3, t=4, t=5

If you were to have, say 10% haste so that the ticks took 0.9 seconds, now you have ticks like this:

t=0.9, t=1.8, t=2.7, t=3.6, t=4.5

In this case, you'd still get 5 ticks, but for 0.5 seconds, you'd have this DoT up but not get any more damage out of it. This is how haste thresholds are calculated. If you were to have, say 20% haste, it would look like this...

t=0.8, t=1.6, t=2.4, t=3.2, t=4.0, t=4.8

Now you get an additional tick in the same amount of time as the original DoT, but here you are still 'wasting' 0.2 seconds if you were to let the DoT run its course. Haste thresholds, such as the 4717 threshold, find the exact haste rating that gives you enough haste to add an additional tick of damage while not 'wasting' any by going over.

3) played Rift for 30 minutes and decided it was too fun to play. The game was awesome, but the community was not. I play MMO's for the community. Tis a shame, really.

That makes sense.

Thank you for the reply. Really enjoying Affliction and considering giving demo a shot too.

Thanks again.

Hey Zagam, just wanted to let you know that I REALLY enjoy your affliction advice. I was pretty cranky about going back to affliction (hadn't been since lvl 70) and your help has actually brought me to enjoy it again.

tytytytytyty! Posted Image

1 person likes this

Hey Zagam, just wanted to let you know that I REALLY enjoy your affliction advice. I was pretty cranky about going back to affliction (hadn't been since lvl 70) and your help has actually brought me to enjoy it again.

tytytytytyty! Posted Image

Glad I could help!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• Aff/Destro Warlock DPS Woes (Help Requested)
      By Penguin
      Hi everyone, I'll be honest: I need some help with my DPS. I've struggled with the majority of HFC, and don't really know where else to turn.
      For Aff, I'm going GoSac/SB:H
      For Destro, I'm going GoSac/CR

I am the only lock in the raid, named Penguin
      Here are my most recent logs for Heroic Iron Reaver: (Affliction)
      https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/HYTn1j2PAgxpKkXV#fight=4&type=summary

H Kormok: (Affliction)
      https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/HYTn1j2PAgxpKkXV#fight=14&type=summary

H Hellfire High Council: (Affliction) 
      https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/HYTn1j2PAgxpKkXV#fight=17&type=summary

H Kilrogg: (Destro)
      https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/HYTn1j2PAgxpKkXV#fight=25&type=summary

H Gorefiend: (Destro)
      https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/HYTn1j2PAgxpKkXV#type=summary

A couple comments for each of the fights:
      Iron Reaver: I was testing out a couple /stopcasting macros which kinda screwed up my Dot uptimes, so I'm not sure how accurate this fight will be in comparison to most pulls. Other than that, plus some buff misalignments/not potting a second time, it was a fairly normal pull.

Kormok: Now, here is where I'm getting a little lost. Given that I don't have the Fragment of the Dark Star trinket, I'm avoiding going Destro as much as I can. However, even with a 4pc, I'm only in the 16th percent of my bracket. My lowest uptime for my dots was UA at 93%, which could certainly be higher, but I don't feel that would cost me THAT much in performance. I noticed my buff alignment/Haunting Spirits was messy towards the end, but that seems to generally happen regardless of what I try to do. Suggestions?

Council: Basically the same as Kormok, though i feel I did better. In fact,I had significantly higher uptimes on my dots and was only 19th in my bracket. What gives? 

Kilrogg: Now, with Destro i've always felt weak, and with an immolate uptime of 58% and only 10 shadowburns, I can more or less understand this number. Yet, I don't really understand how to improve outside of getting these two numbers up (only using shadowburns for sniping adds, of course) so help there would be appreciated. Would improving these two numbers result in the crazy high numbers that even those who don't go in the portal see?

Gorefiend: Same as Kilogg, though I feel I did significantly better with Shadowburns (Immolate was terrible, and while there are more things to Shadowburn, my use of a mouse over macro was as efficient as I could be). 

TL;DR- I feel like I'm doing well but I'm not compared to other warlocks, help?

• Hellfire Assault Disscusion
      By Penguin
      Hey everyone, I wanted to asked about what the most approved strategy for Hellfire Assault in Hellfire Citadel, more specifically on Heroic. I've been doing it using Affliction, but I've noticed that my numbers have been pretty subpar in comparison to the rest of my team as well as in comparison to the rest to the raid bosses.
      After looking around and thinking about the problem, it seems like going Destro w/ Charred Remains would be the best strategy for this fight, but I have a couple questions:

1. While this would probably be the best way to rock the DPS meters, how do you play it? Spam Chaos Bolt on key targets, or use Fire and Brimstone and go crazy on all the adds? It seems like it would be pretty easy to pull great numbers without actually being that helpful using that strategy.

2. Would using Fire and Brimstone screw over the raid by activating the Gorebound Felcaster's Metamorphosis without actually killing them? That's the difficulty our team has been having.

In essence, I have very little experience with the Charred Remains while using Fire and Brimstone style of playing, and am not sure of how to adapt with each fight (especially this one). If anyone has any specific advice, or knows where to get it, I'd really appreciate it.    
    • Warlock Challenge mode help
      By blumist
      Hey guys, firstly i want to thank you forlooking and adding any helpful comments about this topic. i am 8/8 gold on my main and my friends want to go on alts and i just got my lock to 100 for it but don't know much about best spec's and stats for it are.

I have seen destro being most popular, can anyone help with best stats and talents for cm's?
    • How to handle my affliction warlock
      By Uthedicia
      Hello, readers from Icy Veins. I thank all of the souls who helped me with my last set of questions but I now turn to the warlock community for help with my next member I need to fix. This one is an affliction warlock by trade, with demonology as an offspec. Great guy, makes people laugh but is fairly consistent for being one of our lower performers. I'm looking for some tips and tricks, DoT uptime notes that I didn't get, and things that I can say to him in writing. 

Here is the armory, http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/aerie-peak/Animaus/simple

Here are a couple of logs for raid nights he was present on. 

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/c7mz29aGvCVykJdR/#type=damage-done&fight=3

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/2c9wj4kQ7n68hpaN

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/J8aw6bKWXngrcdx7

These logs should have something from just about every boss on him apart from Thogar, in which I was a fool and didn't log him in the beginning. Anything you guys can give me would be heavily appreciated. 

• [pvp] affliction warlock optimisation
      By Vixcis
      Hey guys,
      I haven t seen much threads about the lock in pvp situations so here I am.
      As arena affliction warlocks I was actually wondering which stats should we focus on ?
      First answer that comes to mind is mastery ofc, it ups all the damage. However, I ve seen many top locks on the ladder going for full haste on stuff and enchants (even taking the ashran pieces versatility/haste). An another top lock, Maldiva is full mastery (even on his staff enchant) tho. Other locks are hybrid, half haste half mastery. It s tough to see a pattern,
      In my opinion Haste should be better becoz of the passive that grants us 5% more haste from all sources + the overall haste buff. Even more on this "kick oriented" meta.
      So a pvp stuff full haste + some warforged mythic pieces with +50 mastery gems on them would be the optimal stuff imo (let me think also what u guys think of pve stuff in pvp ! :>)
      Let me know what you guys think on this matter even if it seems that this forum is pretty much pve oriented.