FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
bangorme

Protection Warrior holding threat

I'm not an accomplished tank, but not a newbie either. I just started to use this tank after the expansion, and am shocked how little threat I can generate! I can't hold single target threat against anything, never mind in a group. I am often LAST on the threat meter!!! I'm using the rotation recommended here. Anyone have an idea what I'm missing?

Here is my char:

http://us.battle.net.../Meminus/simple

A couple enchants may be down, but it should give you a good idea where I am.

Thanks.

Edited by bangorme

Bear in mind that since I havn't seen you play or any logs, this is just a number of suggestions of top of my head:

1. Make sure you're in defensive stand! I know I've often forgot...

2. Pop dps-cooldowns at the pull to get a nice amount of threat right away. Since dps players like to burst at the pull and since your vengeance will be low or nought, this really is the critical moment!

3. Try to get some more hit/expertise. If you miss a lot you wont get any threat :) I havn't tanked on a warrior in ages, so I have actually no idea if going for the cap is advisable. I just figured that since it works for the Bears it might work for a warrior too. You might want to check the guide on that one...

4. Be patient and get better gear. Since you're (probably) just doing HC, don't worry too much about it. You might get a PUG with monster dps'es that totaly outgear you. It can be hard for anybody :)

Thanks for responding. My hit is at only a 1.55% miss rate against 93 bosses, and I haven't really noticed that I'm missing much. The problem isn't only with bosses ( where I'm last on the threat meter), it's with dailies. I'm doing dailies with a friend that's a healing priest at my level (gear). I'm not able to hold threat questing with him!!!!!!! This warrior is generating virtually no threat.

I'll keep my eye on my stance though. I don't really ever leave it, but maybe I am. I'll also try the cooldown idea.

Edited by bangorme

I have to second what Nemo said in #1 up there, make sure you're in Defensive stance! Usually when I say to myself "why the heck can I not hold any agro?" it's because I'm still in Battle stance after DPSing or something.

Another thing that I try to do is have something targetted! Before you pull, before you even start to pull, have a target in the enemy group. Not a lot of DPSers will actually assist the tank these days, but those 70-100k + DPS guys will usually have a macro or a key bound to assist focus and have you set as the focus. If you're going to Heroic Leap and then Thunderclap and then Shockwave all without a mob targetted (which happens way too much when I DPS,) then when you do get around to Shield Slam, that 100k DPS guy behind you is probably hitting a different mob than you just did.

Your hit/exp is actually about twice what mine was when I was around your gear level, so I think you "should" be able to hold agro. I would like to point out that EXP affects your "special" abilities and you're reforged into hit more than EXP. A Shield Slam should let you hold agro for quite a while but if you notice they are missing a lot, this might be something to look into.

I have a snekaing suspicion that you're in battle stance. :)

I unfortunately was having this same problem, and was IN defensive stance. I recently reforged to the hit/expertise priority and now I just feel squishy. I am guessing this is due to my lack of managing my defensive cooldowns effectively, or maybe just my ilvl. The good news is after reforging I seem to be able to hold aggro much better, against everything except the overgeared 100k+ dps guys who like to pull things before I do.

Ryieahna @ Darrowmere

Edited by Ryieahna

your ilvl is a bit low. so high ilvl dd can snatch aggro.

use your offensive cooldowns.

mark a mob with skull.

or tell dd to wait for 2sec should be enough ^^

most mitigation comes from our aktive mitigation skills. dont feel too bad. hit and expertise helps with our rage generation. which fuels our mitigation.