Sottle

hearthstone The Icy Veins Deck Guides section is changing. Here's why

18 posts in this topic

14245-the-icy-veins-deck-guides-section-

We're revamping the Hearthstone section to be cleaner and easier to use. Find out exactly what we're doing here.

As time as gone by and more and more expansions have been released into Hearthstone, the Deck Guides section here on our site has grown beyond the point of being manageable. Several people have commented that the section is now a little confusing, with multiple different builds of each deck archetype available and no clear indication of which is the best one to play. Well, starting today, we're taking steps to solve that.

The first stage is already well underway. Many of the older decks from previous expansions have been archived. While this temporarily reduces the amount of active content you can access, don't panic! They will be replaced swiftly with just as many, if not more, options for you to choose from, just presented in a much cleaner fashion.

The new layout will be broken into 4 sections that will function as follows:

Meta Decks

This is where you'll find the top level competitive decks in their most up to date form. Looking at this section will be able to tell you, at a glance, what the best options are for each class for a competitive deck to climb the ladder with.

Within this section there will be two different versions of most decks. Firstly the "standard" version. This is what most people play on the ladder, it can be used as a reference when playing against the deck, as well as just providing a comprehensive archive of the Hearthstone meta. Alongside this will be my personal versions of decks. These will be essentially the same guide, but will contain a few card differences that I think improve the deck, or address the current meta better. Of course, if you don't agree, or don't trust me, you can always just use the standard list instead smile.png

Fun Decks

This is where you'll find decks that aren't quite strong enough to be considered a staple in the Hearthstone Meta. This doesn't mean that these decks are not strong. Many of the decks that end up here will be Legend worthy decks in the right hands, it just means they are not the tried and tested archetypes that are the staples of each class. If you want to play something a little different, this is the section for you!

Budget Decks

This is where you'll find the current existing "Basic" and "Cheap" decks for each class, with the eventual goal of adding a lower budget version of every single deck that is featured in the Meta Decks section, and then maybe even the Fun Decks section as well! This is the section for newer players without comprehensive card collections who are looking to build the best deck they can with their available resources.

Legacy Decks

This section serves as a replacement for all the older expansion versions of decks that were cluttering up the Class pages previously. Instead of leaving older versions of decks in place to allow people to adjust to which expansions they do have, we will simply have a version of all the Meta decks available that does not use any Naxxramas cards, and a further version that features no Blackrock Mountain cards. This is far cleaner, since the Adventures are the only big hurdle for players trying to build some of the Meta decks. It doesn't matter which expansion a card comes from, if you have the dust for it, you can craft it. However, you must have unlocked the relevant Adventure wing to get a card from those sets. With the addition of this section, you will never be in the situation where you are locked out of making a deck due to not having access to those pesky Naxx wings.

Hopefully these changes will improve your experience while using our site, and allow me to generate content in a much more organised and helpful fashion. We're rolling out the changes as we speak, so keep an eye on the Hearthstone section to see it develop!
6 people like this

Looks nice, but it will definitely take me some time to get used to it. However, I think Bloodlust shaman is a meta deck (as far as Shaman is a meta class). Definitely looking forward to seeing more decks here. Keep up the good work :)

I thought about that, but I think the Al'Akir/Doomhammer plan is still more "meta" currently, and the Bloodlust is the twist. Things are always open to change though. Categories are easy to switch smile.png

1 person likes this

I hope the Solo play section will get updated as well. smile.png

It would be nice to see the decks updated with the expansion cards.

I hope the Solo play section will get updated as well. smile.png

It would be nice to see the decks updated with the expansion cards.

That's the next thing in the pipeline smile.png

1 person likes this

Love the new layout. Definitely better moving forward as more expansions are released resulting in more deck archetypes.

2 people like this

I love the new setup!  As someone that was using the old Aggrodin deck, I really appreciate this.

2 people like this

Fantastic update to the site, joined to post! Keep up the good work guys, love your work in the HS section. Been using it for a while now.

1 person likes this

Well, good luck with the upcoming Adventure. How long do you think it will take you to update all the decks (in case the cards will be used)?

Loving the new layout and information! The fun decks should prove just that. Even if you lose, using those crazy cards is always a blast.

1 person likes this

Well, good luck with the upcoming Adventure. How long do you think it will take you to update all the decks (in case the cards will be used)?

Shouldn't be long, it's much easier to handle when the cards release week by week and you can react in small portions.

1 person likes this

Sottle, the new layout is fantastic! I've been using Icy Veins as my go-to net-decking site for a while, but this new layout makes it even better. I've been having a lot of success with your decks on the ladder and I look forward to continuing to see what you put out. It's nice to know that all of your decks have been tested and proven, as I generally don't have time to put in all the legwork necessary to fine tune a strong deck. Not only are your decks competitive, but they're also a lot of fun to play. So keep up the great work! Thank you!!!

2 people like this

The new format is excellent, thank you!

I personally prefer this kind of curated content rather than the community-generated stuff that can be found at places like hearthpwn. It takes time and energy to sort through community generated stuff, and I'm usually not that motivated :)

So, we've finished the first iteration for all classes. Meaning, each class has decks in the 4 main categories (meta, fun, budget, legacy). Now, Sottle is going to slowly add more decks, as he sees fit. And of course, we're going to get guides for the new expansion tonight.

Sottle, the new layout is fantastic! I've been using Icy Veins as my go-to net-decking site for a while, but this new layout makes it even better. I've been having a lot of success with your decks on the ladder and I look forward to continuing to see what you put out. It's nice to know that all of your decks have been tested and proven, as I generally don't have time to put in all the legwork necessary to fine tune a strong deck. Not only are your decks competitive, but they're also a lot of fun to play. So keep up the great work! Thank you!!!

This post pretty much sums up how I feel about Icy Veins and I couldn't have said it better. I'd also like to give my thanks and appreciation to all the moderators and contributors for all the effort it takes to update and maintain this site. One question, though: is there a way to get notifications when a class' deck list gets updated? I check every class on an almost daily basis for new decks or updates to existing decks and was wondering if there was a more convenient way to do so. Thanks again!

1 person likes this

Liking the new org a lot. Been coming here to net-deck and learn since I found out about it. Without the Basic deck guides and Gold Guide and (very importantly) Why Am I Losing I might have given up on HS pretty early. Improving (slowly) now and really enjoying it. Looking forward to being good enough to do my decks justice now!

1 person likes this