FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
mindthegap5

Legion demonology changes

Just a snippet from this article on wowhead, a transcript from a dev interview.

http://www.wowhead.com/news=249804.14/darkmoon-faire-community-amphitheatre-lore-systems-class-changes#p3911855

Demonology warlock update? Legendary demon like a Dreadlord?

• Right now it's in an odd place, really off track. We restarted from scratch - for all intents and purposes it's a completely different class. Requires a lot of iteration and feedback!
  • No way to permanently enslave Dreadlords but we have talked about talents that may make your enslave last longer or be permanent. This is being considered but not currently on the list due to balance concerns.
  • Demonology in Legion is all about summoning waves and waves of demons, and buffing them.
  • spell_shadow_shadowbolt.gifShadow Bolt - generator, ability_warlock_handofguldan.gifHand of Gul'dan - spender
  • ability_warlock_handofguldan.gifHand of Gul'dan now summons imps. One imp for every Soul Shard, up to 5.
  • All locks are back to Soul Shards as a resource.
  • New demon - Dreadstalkers, introduced in Friday's panel.
  • New rotational ability that summons a pair of Dreadstalkers - sometimes being ridden by imps!
  • Demonic Empowerment - new ability, buff up demons out, mini bloodlust for demons
  • Summoning demons happens constantly in combat
  • Talents play off this too. Curse of Doom could summon an imp. When you summon Dreadstalkers, they can come with imps riding Dreadstalkers.
Also this :(

Can we keep Demonic Leap? Lots of fun for jumping games.
  • Not sure, not as of right now.

Can we keep Demonic Leap? Lots of fun for jumping games.
  • Not sure, not as of right now.

Ugh, of course. Get rid of the best ability in the entire game lol. I literally loved demo, just because of Demonic Leap lol.

I've finally read through all the changes for demo and I kind of like it. I was never a huge fan of demo being all about becoming a demon yourself so I'm glad they are going back to a more command style system.

We will know a LOT more after the blog post, 5am Tuesday people!

Affliction
Affliction warlocks are masters of shadow-touched powers, but unlike shadow priests—deadliest when pushed to the brink of insanity—these warlocks delight in using fel forces to cause intense pain and suffering in others. They revel in corrupting minds and agonizing souls, leaving enemies in a state of torment that would see them undone in due time. Even the most battle-hardened warriors can be deceived, landing blow after blow against the warlock, only to succumb to their suffering as their very vitality is siphoned away by the dark spellcaster. 

"These warlocks delight in using fel forces to cause intense pain and suffering in others"

Gameplay
Affliction Warlocks’ gameplay has always aligned well with their character, but in terms of abilities, we want to avoid the feeling that DoTs are amplifiers for your channeled single-target damage. Applying spells that do damage over time is very core to Affliction, so we want to reinforce these spells as the primary source of damage, with other “filler” spells feeling more secondary. We’re adjusting the Affliction rotation so that DoTs are stronger, and your focus is more on figuring out how best to juggle those DoTs to maximize damage output.

Mechanically, we’re altering how Soul Shards are generated and spent, in part to better deliver on the more DoT-driven damage. Soul Shards are now generated by each Agony you have up on your targets, instead of only by your most recent Corruption cast, to favor placing DoTs on several targets rapidly (multi-dotting). You’ll then spend Soul Shards on an extremely strong DoT in Unstable Affliction, reinforcing the focus on DoTs.

Finally, in keeping with the Affliction theme, Drain Life serves as the main filler spell, instead of Malefic Grasp or Drain Soul. This better matches the Affliction identity because its damage stays secondary to the DoTs, which should be the primary focus of damage, instead of dwarfing them. It also adds significant self-healing, further playing to the Affliction motif.

To give you an idea of the Affliction Warlock in action, here’s a basic look at their core combat abilities:

• Corruption
    • 3% Mana, 40 yd range, Instant
    • Corrupts the target, causing moderate Shadow damage over 14 sec.
  • Agony
    • 3% Mana, 40 yd range, Instant
    • Inflicts increasing agony on the target, causing up to a huge amount of Shadow damage over 18 sec. Damage starts low and increases over the duration. Refreshing Agony maintains its current damage level.
    • When Agony deals damage, you have a chance to regain a Soul Shard.
  • Unstable Affliction
    • 1 Soul Shard, 40 yd range, 1.5 sec cast
    • An especially insidious affliction that deals strong Shadow damage over 8 sec.
    • If the target dies, the Soul Shard will be refunded.
    • If Unstable Affliction is dispelled, the dispeller suffers strong Shadow damage and is silenced for 4 sec.
  • Drain Life
    • 3% Mana, plus 4,800 per sec, 40 yd range, Channeled
    • Drains life from the target, causing moderate shadow damage and restoring 18% of the caster’s health over 6 sec.
    • Drain Life’s damage is increased by 50% for each of your Corruption, Agony, and Unstable Affliction effects on the target.
  • Mastery: Potent Afflictions
    • Increases the damage of Agony, Corruption, and Unstable Affliction by 62.5% (with Mastery from typical gear).

Additionally, to provide a glimpse at how some talents may build upon this, here’s one example of an Affliction-specific talent:

• Contagion
    • Passive
    • After you cast Unstable Affliction, you can cast a second one for free, within 3 seconds.

LCPW02.jpg

Demonology
By their very nature, demons are leeches on the living universe—but the demonologist has mastered harnessing the power of these malefic beings on the field of battle. Warlocks harvest the souls of their defeated enemies; those specialized in the ways of demonology use this life essence to tap into the Void, pulling all manner of abomination from the chaos of the Twisting Nether. While such a practice is often considered by outsiders to be wicked and reckless, the demonologist maintains absolute control over the summoned creatures. These malignant entities are fully beholden to—and empowered by—the will of the warlock, until banished to the realm from whence they came. 

"The demonologist has mastered harnessing the power of malefic beings on the field of battle"

Gameplay
While all Warlocks maintain the power to summon demons, Demonology is distinguished by the ability to call forth waves of demons to overwhelm the opposition, and also to further empower the demons they summon. Over the years we strayed too far from this design, to the extent that Demonology gameplay was defined more by the Warlock becoming a demon. Legion provides a fitting opportunity for us to realign the spec around its core function of mastering control of demons, not transforming into them.

We also recognize that Demonology had a large array of intertwined mechanics that weren’t intuitive, and they’ve undergone a greater degree of redesign as a result. For those who played Demonology during Warlords of Draenor, the gameplay will feel quite different in Legion. Beta test feedback will be essential in helping us to ensure that the new spec feels strong and enjoyable and that we’ve accomplished our goal of returning Demonology to its foundations.

To give you an idea of the Demonology Warlock in action, here’s a basic look at their core combat abilities:

• Shadow Bolt
    • 6% Mana, 40 yd range, 2.5 sec cast
    • Sends a shadowy bolt at the enemy, causing minor Shadow damage. Generates 1 Soul Shard.
  • Call Dreadstalkers
    • 2 Soul Shards, 40 yd range, 2 sec cast, 15 sec cooldown
    • Summon 2 ferocious Dreadstalkers to attack the target for 12 sec.
  • Hand of Gul’dan
    • 1 to 5 Soul Shards, 40 yd range, 1.5 sec cast
    • Calls down a demonic meteor full of Wild Imps which burst forth to attack the target for 12 sec.
    • Deals up to a strong amount of Shadow damage to all enemies within 8 yds and summons up to 5 Wild Imps, based on Soul Shards consumed.
  • Demonic Empowerment
    • 6% Mana, 1.5 sec cast, 12 sec recharge, 3 charges
    • Empowers up to 3 of your active demons with dark energies, increasing their Haste and health by 50% for 12 sec.
    • Prefers stronger demons first.
  • Mastery: Master Demonologist
    • Demonic Empowerment also increases the damage of your demons by 50% (with Mastery from typical gear).
  • Doom
    • 2% Mana, 40 yd range, Instant
    • Inflicts impending doom upon the target, causing absolutely massive Shadow damage after 20 seconds
    • Generates a Soul Shard when it deals damage.
  • Demonwrath
    • 2.5% Mana per sec, Channeled
    • Your demons crackle with demonic energy. Every 1 sec, all enemies within 10 yds of any of your demons take minor Shadow damage.
    • Each time Demonwrath deals damage, it has a 15% chance to generate a Soul Shard.
    • May be channeled while moving.

Additionally, to provide a glimpse at how some talents may build upon this, here’s one example of a Demonology-specific talent:

• Implosion
    • 6% Mana, Instant
    • Causes all of your Wild Imps to be violently yanked toward the target, and then explode, dealing moderate Shadow damage to all enemies near them.

LCPW03.jpg

Destruction
Warlocks who command the power of destruction favor incantations of pure chaos and aggression in battle. In this regard, they’d find a stronger kinship with fire mages than warlocks of other disciplines—if not for their propensity to make use of magic deemed detestable by all mage orders. The destruction warlock is well-versed in discharging a dizzying array of shadow, fel, fire, and chaos magics upon opponents that rattle souls and conflagrate bodies. They require little motivation for the havoc they wreak, happy to revel in the destruction they cause—thrilled at any opportunity to watch the world erupt in discord around them. 

"Warlocks who command the power of destruction favor incantations of pure chaos and aggression"

Gameplay
Destruction mechanics are in a solid place overall and are already a good match thematically, so we’re taking the opportunity in Legion to provide additional polish on existing gameplay. While resource mechanic functionality isn’t being drastically overhauled, we’ve changed Burning Embers back to Soul Shards. Not only does this return consistency across all Warlock specs, it also reestablishes the Soul Shard as the iconic source of Warlock power.

To give you an idea of the Destruction Warlock in action, here’s a basic look at their core combat abilities:

• Incinerate
    • 6% Mana, 40 yd range, 2 sec cast
    • Draws fire toward the enemy, dealing moderate Fire damage.
  • Immolate
    • 6% Mana, 40 yd range, 1.5 sec cast
    • Burns the enemy with fire, causing minor Fire damage and an additional strong Fire damage over 15 sec.
    • Immolate critical strikes have a 30% chance to generate a Soul Shard.
  • Conflagrate
    • 2% Mana, 40 yd range, Instant, 8 sec recharge, 2 charges
    • Triggers an explosion of fire on the target, dealing moderate Fire damage and generating a Soul Shard.
    • Also causes Backdraft, reducing the cast times of Incinerate and Chaos Bolt by 30% for 5 sec.
  • Chaos Bolt
    • 2 Soul Shards, 40 yd range, 2.5 sec cast
    • Unleashes a devastating blast of chaos, causing huge Shadow damage. Chaos Bolt always critically strikes and your critical strike chance increases its damage.
  • Havoc
    • 8% Mana, 40 yd range, Instant, 20 sec cooldown
    • Mark a target with Havoc for 8 sec, causing your single target spells to also strike them. Limit 1.
  • Mastery: Chaotic Energies
    • Your Destruction spells deal up to 40% (with Mastery from typical gear) additional damage, randomly.

Additionally, to provide a glimpse at how some talents may build upon this, here’s one example of a Destruction-specific talent:

• Channel Demonfire
    • 4.8% Mana, Channeled, 12 se cooldown
    • Launches 15 bolts of felfire at Immolated enemies within 40 yds, over 3 sec. Each bolt deals moderate Fire damage.

We hope you’ve enjoyed this early preview of our approach to class and specialization design in World of Warcraft: Legion. We’ll continue our review later today with a look at Death Knights and Shaman.

My thoughts on the above changes.

Aff-

I kinda like the Aff changes too. Its nice to see DL coming back as a filler like it was in Vanilla. Going back to the roots of real warlock survivibility and hp regen. I didnt like how UA uses a shard, however it is nice how they are making it free from shard cost during times where you are multi dotting...granted this is from a talent. The CoA change is nice as well, but i am actually skeptical on this specs single target dominance now with only one target to regain shards from.

No word on drain soul tho. will it be gone? will it be an execute? will it just be used for an emergency shard regen?

Demo-

Imps on felstalkers...thats all that needs to be said lol..

but really, for me at least, these changes are very welcome. I have always wanted demo spec to really be about...as the name states...demons. I always imagined demo locks summoning waves of demons or basically using a demon AS an attack. Like how Aff has corruption, coa, and ua, then demo should have demon 1, demon 2, demon 3, and that is exactly what is sounds like they are doing. You are basically like Archimonde and commanding a legion to do your bidding. Some people i know wont like it, but for me, this is what ive always wanted demo to be and i am really looking forward to it the most. Aff has been my favorite spec ever, but if done right, this iteration of Demo will take the cake.

However, the loss of Demonic Leap is a great one as, like i stated above, is the greatest ability in the game lol.

Destro-

No real changes, the new spell; Demonfire sounds neat. But as far as im concerned, i could care less. Ive never liked destro, i will go as far as saying i hate destro lol. It never felt like a warlock spec, more so a mage spec. The only reason i play it is out of necessity due to its performance. If i could play Aff every fight and do well i would.

Edited by vaeevictiss

I am worried how they are going more RNG nature for our resources. Before it was only Affliction now it will be Affliction and Destruction that generate shards on a RNG basis. Demonology has the only guaranteed shard generating skill and I think that will give the spec the edge.

Other things I worry about to Destruction is havoc has a limit of one now? Does that mean no more havoc'd Chaos Bolts? Do we only get to havoc one Shadowburn? Why is "randomly" added to Destruction's mastery? Sounds like even more RNG.

I don't know. I usually play affliction so that is what I will probably be following the most as far as changes. So hoping more info comes out soon.

Demonology does look like it may be fun though.

The fan in me is very much looking forward to Demonlogy.  The cynic in me says it sounds fun so they will nerf it to the ground and we will be forced to play Destro.  

• Like 1

Meta should have never been given to warlocks in the first place. We got it because people cried about it after BC because Illidan and leotheras had it who were also both demon hunters (oddly enough since leotheras was a blood elf). Sure it looked cool, but it never fit with the lore behind the class. I'm fine with it gone again. 

If they want to make Demonology good, they best give us a talent that increases pet AI by 100%.

Pretty pumped for the build to come together.  Going to be spending a lot of time on PTR doing Warlock stuff.

• Like 1

I am worried how they are going more RNG nature for our resources. Before it was only Affliction now it will be Affliction and Destruction that generate shards on a RNG basis. Demonology has the only guaranteed shard generating skill and I think that will give the spec the edge.

I don't think it will feel as bad as Aff though.  With Aff and SB:H, if you got RNG fucked and couldn't reapply SB:Haunt, You are basically doing half dmg for all your dmg sources.

Getting a dry spell where you may not be able to cast CB wont effect your other sources of DMG.  Will still Suck, but wont suck nearly as much IMO.

I started the topic when not much had come to light having seen the major announcements I'm actually liking the look of demonology, it kind of gives me the feeling of the game Overlord on the console, can't wait as for afflicton and destruction, meh i don't know i'll just have to see how it is, the destruction mastery doesnt look good at all, RNG damage ftw?

Obviously we will have to wait till beta is out and see how talents and artifacts bring more complexity to the table before i decide which spec to main next xpac.

I've finally read through all the changes for demo and I kind of like it. I was never a huge fan of demo being all about becoming a demon yourself so I'm glad they are going back to a more command style system.

We will know a LOT more after the blog post, 5am Tuesday people!

Yep, my thoughts exactly. When Meta got introduced I dropped Demo until finally in BRF I felt I had to pick it because it was too strong no to; I'm so happy about demo changes.