FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Anfauglith

Early analysis on new talents

Hello guys, 

I was hyped about all the announcements about Legion, and I had a bit extra free time so I decided to take a closer look at the new talents. I know it's early and there is not much point in looking at the numbers since the balancing is not complete, but I was curious to see what the rotations might look like in Legion.

(link to the talent calculator : http://legion.wowhead.com/talent#Mkx)

FROST

Tier 1: 

• Sub-Zero: This looks awesome, and sounds like something Frost DKs have been asking for a long time. At a glance, it means that Obliterate will finally benefit from Mastery. But the other 2 choices in this tier are not to be ignored. So, it makes Obliterate do 30% of the damage done as Frost damage. For this consideration, I won't take into account mitigation or extra bonuses from Mastery (I won't go into that much detail). This amounts to  ~300% AP bonus damage as Frost damage on every KM.
  • Icy Talons: With this being moved to talent, it is safe to assume that Frost DKs lost the passive Haste bonus they had. Which means this talent is not to be so easily dismissed. Icy Talons don't stack, so ideally you will FS once every 3 seconds to have 100% uptime. Increased attack speed will net you more attacks, and by extension more chances to proc KM and Rime. Not taking Haste into consideration, most 1H weapons have a 2.60 speed (1 attack per 2.60 s). Over the course of 3 seconds, having 25% increased attack speed won't gain you much, so it is obvious you will need to maintain a solid uptime in order to get the most out of the talent. Taking a window of 10 seconds with 100% uptime on Icy Talons, this will amount to 4 additional auto attacks. These 4 attacks also increase your chances of proccing KM and Rime. The % chance of triggering KM is not available, but I still like the odds that at least 1 out of 4 will make it proc. All this said, Icy Talons looks like a better option if you lack Mastery.
  • Without Remorse: Enables you to go back to the standard DWF rotation.Considering only raw damage gain, making KM affect Frost Strike only will result in 264% AP lower damage than Obliterate (again, not considering mitigation or Mastery). The talent does increase the chances of proccing KM, however, so the real picture is better. Whatever the case may be, I think this talent begins to shine when you start stacking more Mastery. An exact comparison between Sub-Zero and Without Remorse is almost impossible at this stage, however, so I have no idea what might be better as the gear scales.  

Tier 2: 

• Frozen Pulse: A straightforward talent, can really shine in AoE intense fights, or even in ST paired with Icy Talons.
  • Biting Winds: Increasing the chance of a Rime proc by 25% is more important than it may look, because Rime now makes HB deal 300% additional damage. Taking a window of 10 KM, roughly 7 should proc Rime, as opposed to 4-5 without the talent. That amounts to ~70% AP per KM proc per target.
  • Soul Asylum: Hungering Runeblade is a new ability, functioning rather similar to the T17 set bonus. It steals fragments of souls every second for 20 seconds, and if you reach 25 souls, the cooldown is reset and it deals 200% AP damage to all nearby enemies.The amount of fragments taken is not mentioned, however. In any case, starting with 5 fragments can make the accumulation process quicker, resulting in more frequent use of the ability and an added 15% damage increase on the explosion. It is hard to evaluate without more details about Hungering Runeblade.
  • Overall: All three are solid AoE options. Icy Talons synergizes well with Biting Winds and Frozen Pulse, so have that in mind when choosing a talent.

Rune Regen

• With FS costing 20 RP, I think that both RE and RC are not an appropriate choice for Frost. 1 in 5 chance of proccing them does not seem worthwhile, but these talents cannot be evaluated without sims.

The next three rows are focused on survival, and as such, the choice will depend on the encounter.

Tier 7

• Glacial Advance: The total number of spikes summoned is not mentioned, but as long as there are at least 2, it should do roughly the same damage as Defile. The fact that it has a lower cooldown than Defile may make it a better choice, but it is too difficult to predict without more data.
  • Defile: Nothing to add here, the talent is not changed from what it is currently.
  • Breath of Sindragosa: With the removal of Frost Presence and Plague Leech, I don't think Frost DKs will have an easy time maintaining BoS in Legion. It still contests heavily with Frost Strike as well, so overall I think BoS will be even worse for Frost than it currently is.
  • Overall: Even though Defile and Glacial Advance both cost a rune, thus possibly decoupling your runes (for more Obliterate/Hungering Runeblade), the talent Runic Longevity can address this issue.

UNHOLY

Scrapped, because I don't have much more to add to what simpetar already said. Good job, mate xD

I'd appreciate your own views regarding the talents, the implications on the rotation and stat weights. Feel free to correct me if I've made a mistake.

Edited by Anfauglith

Unholy

Tier 1:

• Lil' Stinker looks like a strong option for persistent AoE of stacked 4+ mobs. If the gaseous cloud deals shadow damage, we will probably see some interesting scaling with mastery. On the other hand, it is unlikely that the cloud will stack with itself, so if Timmy uses claw more often than once 6 seconds, overlapping will diminish its usefullness.
  • Shadow Infusion, now this one is interesting. Dark Transformation will have 20 seconds duration and 1 minute CD. That leaves 40 seconds downtime that can be reduced to 0 by merely 5 Death Coils. Some of the Death Coils will surely come from Sudden Doom procs. Looks very powerful for 2-3 targets (transformed ghoul cleaves 3), unless there is some number tweaking.
  • All Will Serve: removal of the CD is an instant cure to one big UH DK problem in PvP. Other than that. it looks decent, doubled fun. Just wondering how the technical aspect will work - when you have 2 pets at once, one is usually considered real pet (with action bar etc.) and the other just guardian (and really dumb). Due to this dumbness of guardians, probably best suited to single target fights (no confusion about what to attack).

Tier 2

• Pestilent Pustules this talent looks great for setting up great burst. More festering wounds per use of FW mean we will have more runes for (higher damage per rune) SS. Also we get more RP for triggering festering wounds and in return more runes regenerated via regeneration talents. Overall very solid choice.
  • Blighted Runeblade seems good for early game when rune regeration is likely to be slow (due to low ilvl) using 2 runes for average of 2 festering wounds little cumbersome. More data of the actual proc chance and / or PPM would not hurt :)
  • Boiling Rot not exactly sure what to think about this one. The only situation where I could see this talent viable is when we can apply festerding wounds faster than we can trigger them. FS costs 2 runes and hits only 1 target - due to this high cost it is unlikely that we apply FS to multiple targets, unless some sort of insane cleave is required. It is only unlikely that single tick of DnD or Defile is higher on the priority list for triggering festering wound than a single SS cast.

Tier 3

• RE and RC work in a similar manner as on live. Their chances are reduced to 1% down from 1.5% per RP, which is quite a significant hit. RE will probably get more interesting, because when we have only 1 generic type of runes (instead of BB/UU/FF or Death), we will not have to wait to pair that one with something else and we will ALWAYS be able to use that rune for something rotationally useful.
  • Runic Longevity will probably be the right choice at higher ilvls, where our rotation always tends to get GCD locked. More runes regenerating mean more wiggle room and less danger of resource capping.

Tier 4

• Obviously very situational, but who doesn´t like stronger AMS from Spellbreaker :) The other two talents look like they wandered here from PvP section.

Tier 5

• Personal choice: Purgatory will keep your healers on their toes, Death Pact will keep you on your toes and Improved IBF will be active FOREVER! (unless they fix the tooltip)

Tier 6

• Nothing changed here and still situational While other classes will get access to Death Grip-ish abilities, Mass Grip is still DK specialty.

Tier 7

• Tortured Spirit very much looks like single target version of Defile: dealing increasingly more damage to one target and completely screwed if the target moves away too fast. Might get interesting if its attack speed scales with haste.
  • Defile - nothing changed.
  • BoS - in addition to live version also restores energy to Timmy. The burst will therefore come from 2 or even 3 sources, making it even more scary.

Blood

Tier 1

• Bloodworms - love this talent and think it may be the go to. Overhealing from death pact or BOS turns more or less into DK healing spheres. Great for survival.
  • Feeding Frenzy- a good newer tank talent or passive talent. Basically makes Death strike heal more.
  • Rune Tap: Interesting talent that can give on demand death strikes due to them requiring runic power now. Especially powerful when paired with BOS. However, burning 2 runes could cost other survival issues. More advanced play talent, potentially crazy strong though.

Tier 2

• Rapid Decomposition - makes defile/death and decay heal you. Passive, doesn't sound too bad.
  • Ossuary- interesting talent. Similar to rapid decomp but gives chance for extra bone shields. Good proactive talent
  • Consume Vitality- 25% heal of your missing health every 20 seconds. Very strong reactive talent. This tier will likely be between ossuary and consume depending on fight.

Tier 3

• honestly everything said by previous posts in this thread answers this. longevity probably best later on, empowerment likely better than corruption

Tier 4

• Situational but as tank stronger AMS is really the best most useful option

Tier 5

• Purgatory in case you derp. Death Pact so you don't derp. Exhume very interesting. Basically you get free boneshield charges on a regular basis. What you do for tier 1 and 2 talents would impact the viability of this. I think paired with consume vitality it would be a very strong reactive proactive combo. However, death pact is such a strong heal. So this tier will be very interesting to test out. Usefulness will depend on other talents. I am a big fan of death pact but with a slew of other self healing options available now, Exhume may pull ahead.

Tier 6:

• Mostly situational but as tank, gorefiends is love gorefiends is life

Tier 7:

• SomeInteresting changes
  •  Defile is all but the same.
  • BOS however now triggers your blood shield in addition to healing like death strike. However, it costs runic power so you can't death strike while its up. Plus the heal is less then death strike. The only difference though is it is cheaper then death strike 15 runic power vs 40. so for 30 runic power you get the same heal as a death strike and save 10 more runic power. Interesting decision to be made. It can play both as an emergency heal or as a big blood shield build up before a huge attack. I believe this will likely take the tier
  • Bonestrike is a decent to moderate heal depending on how many enemies are near by. As it stands it feels very underpowered for single target. It could be good in council fights or aoe but BOS just seems better overall.

Blood Tanks looking very good to be honest. Very strong talents and some good talent synergy. I think there are some pretty strong builds. Some good choices between reactive or proactive builds or even hybrid ones. I think the raid encounters will determine what is best at a given time. However, I do like that there is a lot of options now for preactive and reactive mitigation. WoD blood tap just didn't feel that active or strong to me. Blood feels more complete now. Also just a lot of opportunities to build stupid strong blood shields. Terminator tanking will definetly still be DK's strong point. 

• Bloodworms - love this talent and think it may be the go to. Overhealing from death pact or BOS turns more or less into DK healing spheres. Great for survival.
  • Feeding Frenzy- a good newer tank talent or passive talent. Basically makes Death strike heal more.

Bloodworms look well suited for players new to blood tanking, but in hands of skilled players I can see some serious cheese coming Blood DKs are known for :) Especially when used in tandem with Purgatory - you prepare with tremendous overhealing stored in bloodworms, then soak a mechanics you aren´t supposed to survive, trigger Purgatory and let bloodworms heal you back up. ZOMG nerf Blood DKs :D

@Feeding Frenzy: The wording is not very clear on this talent, but I believe it refers to the lvl 78 perk of Death Strike mimicking current Will of Necropolis: when your health drops below 35%, all your RP is consumed by next DS and it will greatly increase its healing. It seems like Feeding Frenzy will further increase this emergency healing by 15% rather than flat bonus to every use of DS. (the tooltip mentions "excess RP")

@BoS: BoS is channelled and it ticks every 1 second, while DS triggers GCD. If you have, say 100 RP (capped), you can use 2 DS and then have to do something else to gain more RP, or use BoS for (at least) 6 straight seconds and gain more RP while channelling it to extend it further. It looks like BoS will be a very powerful CD to survive agressive ongoing damage like DoTs or enrage mechanics, more efficient than simple DS spam. Not to mention that its offensive part is noticeable as well (100% AP every second)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Endyxion
      Greetings everyone, so I've been using this site for guides for quite a long time now and I was wondering if it'd be possible to access 7.3.5 guides again, and if it is, how to get to them. I have moved to a Legion private server after quitting BfA on retail around a month ago, and I'd like to be able to view the guides again. I'm especially interested in the Feral and Guardian Druid ones. I also don't know if this is under the correct category, since I can't post under Guide Comments.
      Thanks!
    • By Nireas
      I usually sim my characters to get the best possible results. I enjoy the process quite a lot and since I reached 120, I wanted to find out the best build of the spec. (Note, I didn't want to find out what to play, but rather how my own build fares in comarison.) I rarely mind a 1-2% difference. If it goes above 2%, I really mind a change. What this thread is about is mainly to bring something in the attention of those who help making the class guides, especially the talent choices. To my surprise, I was awed to find out that certain talents outperform previous "Standard" choices in the endgame, probably due to the stat squish.

The Frost go-to build (top dps) would probably be along the lines of <Icy Talons / Cold Heart - Runic Attenuation - Frozen Pulse - Gathering Storm - Breath of Sindragosa>. What I found out primarily was that after the removal of legendaries, Cold Heart severely underperforms at most given situations resulting in a major dps drop due to the low mastery. Gathering Storm also suffers from the same problem and most of the times, Frostwyrm's Fury is better overall. The biggest surprise of them all, however, was that Inexorable Assault overperforms quite a lot, and is the first reason why I made the topic. I then started simming with the above in mind and I came across a build that some would not consider on par with top dog builds around the meta, which is the use of Horn of Winter which overperforms both its other two options when using the Breath build. Talent Sim can be seen here. Another intresting thing, which I loved, was that the 2nd best build uses Obliteration as a lvl 100 talent and no other build surpassed it (Other than the first one, obviously). So, I encourage frost players out there to give their other, less common talents a try. To the class guide author(s), I believe that the two "underdog" talents will earn their spot in the class guides.

Thank you for your time reading this.

• By Ser3nity
      Safety not Guaranteed is an English speaking Alliance raiding guild on Emerald Dream. We raid 3 times a week and are mainly focused on mythic raiding.
      Current Progress:
      10/11M Antorus
      Recruitment:
      We are currently recruiting for BfA, and open to most classes:
      Melee DPS: All classes Ranged DPS: All classes Healer (1): Shaman, Druid, Priest, Monk We are currently on a raid break until BfA, only doing minimal content until then

Our raiding schedule is:
      - Thursday: 20.00 - 23.00 (server time)
      - Monday: 20.00 - 23.00 (server time)
      - Tuesday: 20.00 - 23.00 (server time)
      Apply here: http://safetynotguaranteed.guildlaunch.com/
      Even if we are not actively recruiting your class, we will consider any exceptional applications.
      About us:
      Safety not Guaranteed (SnG) was initially formed on horde side by a small group of friends in early MoP, raiding 10man heroic. Later during the expansion we faction changed to Alliance and expanded our roster to a 20man mythic team, where we cleared SoO mythic as a guild. Many of us have been playing together since as early as WotLK, and have friendships with each other that extend outside the game as well.
      Our goal ever since the guild was formed has been to progress through content at a steady pace, without hardcore hours, while having a good time together. We aim to clear each tier before the next one is released. We cleared all mythic content in WoD, and have cleared each tier so far in Legion obtaining most mythic cutting edge achievements, and plan to continue doing so.
      What we offer:
      A structured mythic raiding team and raiding times. We start invites 19:45 and begin to clear trash so we can have the first pulls at 20:00 A fair rotation and loot distribution via loot council. We keep spreadsheets! A steady guild with a good community and good guild atmosphere. You may encounter some trolling during your stay. A focused attitude during progression, and relaxed attitude during farm content. We like to chat and have fun, but focus during difficult content. A desire to raid. We often run an extra raid day on the 1st week of a new raid tier. This is 100% optional, but most people are excited to get into a new instance. Additionally we often run some sort of alt raids on fridays (100% optional), and do a lot of mythic+ content within the guild.
      What we want from you:
      High attendance. We expect a minimum of 80% attendance, though most of our raiders have near to 100%. We run a small roster to minimize rotation, and want to be able to rely on you. Commitment. We don't want someone who is looking to join, get geared and then leave. We have a 2-3 week trial period during which we will control gearing while we get to know you. Honesty. If you're having problems within the guild, or have real life issues, we'd like to hear rather than you just disappearing. Talk to us. Be prepared! This means reading up on new fights, having consumables (flask, pots, food, runes), gemming and enchanting properly, and being on time! Communication. We want you to know how to communicate both verbally and in writing. We have a guild Discord we use for our raids and other games! Raiding awareness. We want you to not stand in fire, unless it's required... Progression oriented attitude. Everyone makes mistakes, but learning is part of progression, so we value people who continue to improve over time. Understanding. Sometimes, things don't always go smoothly. We may hit a wall on a specific boss for a while, or you may have to sit for someone else during a progression raid. This is part of mythic raiding. We try to treat everyone fairly, and are open to feedback.
      For more information you can add an officer to chat: Menetherin#2691, Joana#2806, Kitty#2896, Noxxus#2229
      Or visit our website: http://safetynotguaranteed.guildlaunch.com/
    • By Sajakain
      NOTICE: This guide is out of date and no longer relevant. It is why it was unpinned.

First off, welcome! I am Sajakain and my main class has always been a warrior with the very first one being a Night Elf on the EU realms. I started toward the end of Vanilla and the start of Burning Crusade. Primarily I fancy the DPS side of the Warrior and it's what I feel I do best. From time to time I have dabbled in tanking but we'll leave that aspect to Estarriol.
      This guide is written by me, obviously. It really is a single collection of multiple sources that include, but are not limited to, Blizzard patch notes, other guides, forum discussions, in-game testing, using SimulationCraft, reviewing logs. . . a whole slew of resources. Hopefully this guide will be able to present relevant information to you, separated by self-titled sections, in an easy-to-understand fashion.
      It is worth noting that, as you progress with your Warrior or conduct your own research you may find something in this guide that doesn't make sense or... may actually be wrong. That's completely acceptable by me and, with such questioning, I'd be glad to sit down with you and discuss your findings and questions over a mug of whatever the Brew of the Month is at the time while we figure out what's right.
      With all this being said, let's get to the guide! I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I enjoyed composing it.

Before we get knee deep into things, I'd like to make you aware of some other resources at your disposal. It is only fitting that I provide these up front and give respect to those that have done the math. These resources are what I use to improve my performance in game and, ultimately, compose this very guide. If you should have any questions about these resources, don't hesitate to ask!
      Icy Veins: Arms Warrior Guide SimulationCraft MMO Champion Warrior Forum Board The Arms Compendium Warrior Discord  
        1. Which does more damage: Arms or Fury?   This discussion is pretty heated more often than not and, frankly, comes down to results compiled by SimulationCraft. As such, people generally take these results and use it to determine which spec they'll play.

I cannot give this question justice better than that of what Azortharion has said. In relation to the question of "Does anyone have a class/spec DPS comparison sim?" he said this:

Alliance:
      Draenei: Heroic Presence Dwarf: Might of the Mountain, Stoneform Gnome: Expansive Mind, Nimble Fingers Human: Every Man for Himself, The Human Spirit Night Elf: Quickness, Touch of Elune Worgen: Viciousness Horde:
      Blood Elf: Arcane Torrent, Arcane Acuity Goblin: Time is Money Orc: Blood Fury Tauren: Brawn, Endurance, War Stomp Troll: Berserking Undead: Touch of the Grave, Will of the Forsaken Neutral:
      Pandaren: Epicurean,
      The objective of Blizzard making these changes was to (hopefully) level the playing field between the races. As you can tell there are some that may seem more beneficial than others (such as the guaranteed bonus damage that comes from the Dwarf and Tauren Racials). The end result is simply to pick whichever race you really enjoy whether it be a dwarf of the Alliance or an orc of the Horde. It's really up to you!

Talents, starting in patch 7.0.3, have moved closer to Blizzard's goal of personal choice. Each choice you make can be beneficial in respective situations. Use your best judgement of your needs (or your raid's needs) and select the appropriate talent.
      Speculation Note: It is advisable to run simulations as you obtain gear for talent choices. As always - select the talent that is most appropriate for the encounter you are facing and your raid team's needs. These choices are based off current simulations and a "Patchwerk" style fight. They can change very quickly with hotfixes and class changes implemented by Blizzard.
      The talent choices that are suggested here are for a Rend build. It's worth noting that there are other viable builds to the Arms spec if this rotation / playstyle does not suit your preferences.

Tier 1 / Level 15:
      Dauntless: Your abilities cost 10% less Rage. Overpower: Overpowers the enemy, causing 375% Physical damage. Cannot be blocked, dodged or parried, and has a 60% increased chance to critically strike. Your other melee abilities have a chance to activate Overpower. Sweeping Strikes: Mortal Strike and Execute hit 2 additional nearby targets. Dauntless is the preferred choice here. Overpower is also viable, at a potential DPS loss, if you wish to have more activity in your rotation / playstyle. For multiple target situations, you will be switching to Sweeping Strikes.

Tier 2 / Level 30:
      Shockwave: Sends a wave of force in a frontal cone, causing [(125% of Attack Power) * 1.25] damage and stunning all enemies within 10 yards for 4 sec. Cooldown reduced by 20 sec if it strikes at least 3 targets. Storm Bolt: Hurls your weapon at an emey, causing 60% Physical damage and stunning for 4 sec. Deals quadruple damage to targets permanently immune to stuns. Double Time: You can use Charge twice in a row, but it can only grant Rage once every 12 sec. Each use has a 20 sec recharge time. Double Time is the go-to here in most situations. Shockwave is useful for Mythic+ dungeons.

Tier 3 / Level 45:
      Trauma: Slam, Whirlwind, and Execute now cause the target to bleed for 20% additional damage over 6 sec. Multiple uses accumulate increased damage. Rend: Wounds the target, causing 150% Physical damage instantly and an additional (1000% of Attack Power) Bleed damage over 8 sec. Avatar: Transform into a colossus for 20 sec, causing you to deal 20% increased damage and removing all roots and snares. As the recommendations of this build are centered around Rend, it is the required talent here. In an alternate build / playstyle, however, you can opt for Trauma. In a couple of encounters, Trauma actually proves to perform better than Rend.

Tier 4 / Level 60:
      Second Wind: Restores 6% health every 1 sec when you have not taken damage for 5 sec. Bounding Stride: Reduces the cooldown on Heroic Leap by 15 sec, and Heroic Leap now also increases your run speed by 70% for 3 sec. Defensive Stance: A defensive combat state that reduces all damage you take by 20%, and all damage you deal by 10%. Lasts until cancelled. Bounding Stride should be your default choice here. Second Wind is great for leveling, maybe, and Defensive Stance (aside from being really weird as a talent) is only to be used if you seem to have a problem surviving heavy-hitting mechanics that are unavoidable otherwise.

Tier 5 / Level 75:
      Fervor of Battle: Whirlwind deals 80% increased damage to your primary target. Mortal Combo: Mortal Strike now has a maximum of 2 charges. Titanic Might: Increases the duration of Colossus Smash by 8 sec. and reduces its cooldown by 8 sec. The recommended talent here is Titanic Might. As mentioned above, you can also select Fervor of Battle as another viable option.

Tier 6 / Level 90:
      Deadly Calm: Battle Cry also reduces the Rage cost of your abilities by 75% for the duration. In For The Kill: Colossus Smash grants you 10% Haste for 8 sec. Focused Rage: Focus your rage on your next Mortal Strike, increasing its damage by 30%, stacking up to 3 times. Unaffected by the global cooldown. For this tier you will want In For The Kill. It's worth nothing that your artifact ability, Warbreaker, can also trigger this buff.

Tier 7 / Level 100:
      Anger Management: Every 20 Rage you spend reduces the remaining cooldown on Battle Cry by 1 sec. Opportunity Strikes: Your melee abilities have up to a 60% chance, based on the target's missing health, to trigger an extra attack that deals 160% Physical damage and generates 5 rage. Ravager: Throws a whirling weapon at the target location that inflicts [7 * (337.5% of Attack power)] damage to all enemies within 8 yards over 7 sec. For this tier you can readily pick Ravager or Opportunity Strikes. Currently, in Tomb, Ravager seems to be the best pick in most encounters.

While the above talent choices are the overall recommended, I'll let you know which talents are doing the best for each specific encounter in Tomb currently. Keep in mind that this data is pulled from Warcraft Logs and is for the Heroic versions of these encounters. While it is assumed these can also work for Normal / LFR, Mythic encounters may require different set ups. You can check out what players are using for Mythic encounters by reviewing the data here: Click me!
      It is also worth noting that some talents do not change, except for very specific reasons, regardless of the encounter. These talents remain the same throughout and they are:
      Tier 2: Double Time Tier 4: Bounding Stride Tier 5: Titanic Might Tier 6: In For The Kill

This is one of the most discussed topics I come across. I considered putting this in the "F.A.Q." section but, in my opinion, it is so important that I gave it it's own section. Stat weights are pretty straight forward for an Arms Warrior. Before I get to that, however, let's look at the stats and how they directly affect our warrior, shall we?
      Strength: This is our main stat. All your pieces, save trinkets, will have this stat on it. Critical Strike: This stat increases our chance to make our attacks critically hit which means more damage. We love doing more damage! Haste: This stat directly affects attack speed. Mastery: Our mastery buff is Mastery: Colossal Might. It increases the damage of your Colossus Smash by %, and causes it to increase damage you deal to the target by an additional % (% is based on the amount of mastery you have.) Versatility: Versatility increases damage done and decreases all damage taken. Now that we know what our stats are - what are their weights? As stated, it's pretty straight forward. Initially it is Mastery -> Haste -> Versatility = Strength = Critical Strike. Pretty simple, right?
      With Tier 20, it changes slightly to 20% Haste (10% if you've taken the recommend In For The Kill talent) > Mastery > Haste >= Critical Strike = Strength = Versatility.
      Important Note: Stat weights change constantly based on your gear. It is highly recommended that you download and use the latest version of Simulation Craft to gauge your personal stat weights as you obtain new gear. Over time you may see a need to gear toward one stat over another as you approach certain percentages. This is a somewhat complicated concept and the above priority is for general knowledge and purpose. The best way to get the most out of your warrior is to, again, use Simulation Craft to determine your stat weights.

Single Target Rotation
      This priority system is assuming you've taken the above recommended talents. As stated, this is a priority system and not a strict step-by-step system.
      Your overall priority is this:
      Rend if it is not applied to your target. Colossus Smash if not applied to your target / Shattered Defenses isn't up. Execute (From Ayala's Stone Heart proc) Mortal Strike (With Shattered Defenses up / no Executioner's Precision debuff) Slam If you've taken Overpower in your Tier 1 talents, this jumps to #4 in your priority above Mortal Strike.

Using Battle Cry
      Depending on whether or not you have your Tier 20 4PC bonus depends on how you handle your Battle Cry window. In either situation, however, you will want to make sure Colossus Smash is applied to your target prior to using Battle Cry.
      With your Tier 20 4PC: Make sure Colossus Smash is applied then cast Rend -> Battle Cry + Bladestorm -> Continue normal priority.
      Without your Tier 20 4PC, Make sure Colossus Smash is applied then then cast Rend -> Battle Cry + Mortal Strike -> Continue normal priority.

Execute Priority
      Your Execute priority (sub 20% HP) is relatively simple and straight forward. If you don't have Shattered Defenses up, use Colossus Smash / Warbreaker to obtain it. With Shattered Defenses available, your priority is
      Mortal Strike (with x2 Executioner's Precision and Shattered Defenses) Colossus Smash if you don't have Shattered Defenses Execute Overpower (if talented)  

Multiple Target Rotation
      It's important to note that if you are doing a multiple target rotation you should have changed talents from the ones recommend above if the targets are able to be stacked together. You will change the Tier 1 / Level 15 talent from Dauntless to Sweeping Strikes. If the targets are spread out or cannot be stacked for a duration of time then Dauntless will still be your talent of choice.
      Depending on the amount of time the multiple targets live depends on how much you deviate from the single target rotation as well as if they're stacked or not. If you have 2 - 3 targets, your rotation stays the same with the adjusted talent change to Sweeping Strikes.
      If you have 4+ targets, however, your priority changes to the following:
      Warbreaker Bladestorm Cleave Whirlwind Take note of the improved Cleave. For each add you hit with it, up to 5 maximum, it'll increase your damage of your next Whirlwind by 20%. (5 adds hit = 100% increased Whirlwind Damage).

With the release of 7.2, things have changed for your Artifact Weapon. With a series of quests, you are able to imbue your weapon with power from the Council of Six making it stronger to deal with the incoming threat of Kil'Jaeden in the Tomb of Sargeras.
      Below I have listed two leveling paths for the Strom'kar; the first one being if you haven't leveled your Arms weapon yet and the second path being once you have the extra traits unlocked.

Initially you unlock the weapon by placing your first 100 Artifact Power in Warbreaker. Once that's unlocked you should continue your progression into the weapon in the following order:
      1. Shattered Defenses
      Thoradin's Might Crushing Blows Will of the First King Exploit the Weakness Shattered Defenses 2. Corrupted Blood of Zakajz
      Tactical Advance Precise Strikes Corrupted Blood of Zakajz 3. Focus in Battle
      Many Will Fall Focus in Battle 4. Deathblow
      5. Unending Rage
      6. One Against Many
      7. Void Cleave
      8. Touch of Zakajz
      9. Defensive Measures
      10. Unbreakable Steel

Once you complete this path, you will receive a quest that will start a small series to empower your weapon. It will start with the quest The Broken Shore: Investigating the Legion in which you will need to find a randomly-dropped item: Mysterious Runebound Scroll. Once you find this item you will begin a short quest chain:
      1. Arms: The Thieving Apprentice
      2. Professionally Good Looking
      3. Order of Incantations (The order is Arcane -> Frost -> Fire -> Shadow)
      4. The Archmage Accosted
      Once you complete these, you'll be asked to go back to Dalaran and receive the power from the Council of Six. Strom'kar will empower and you will have access to the new traits.
      Important Note: The following path can be simplified, for general purposes, as such: Get the new golden trait (Executioner's Precision). Once that's done you can chose whatever talents in the weapon you wish. The differences in numbers are literally so close and variable based on your personal character there is no 100% definitive path to take. If you're looking for definitive choices, you can sim your warrior to find the best results.
      If you're looking for a direction to take because you do not want to sim yourself or whatever reason, you can take the following path. The steps that have multiple choice is, again, a choice completely up to you. Just make sure all choices are filled before you move to the next step.

1. Executioner's Precision
      Arms of the Valarjar Storm of Swords Soul of the Slaughter Executioner's Precision 2. Exploit the Weakness
      3. Deathblow / Crushing Blows / Precise Strikes
      4. One Against Many / Unending Rage / Many Will Fall
      5. Touch of Zakajz / Tactical Advance
      Once you have these traits filled in, the last trait will become available. It has 50 points to dropped into it and it's my belief that Blizzard does not want us to cap it out this expansion. According to the Wowhead Calculator it would take a total of 865,842,644,766,330 Artifact Power to fill 100%.

The only addon that I really deem significant is Weak Auras. You can use it to track literally everything in the game if it's trackable. Use this for boss encounters and, more specifically, monitoring your buffs / debuffs for your Arms Warrior. Important things to track include, but are not limited to:
      Shattered Defenses Colossus Smash Executioner's Precision Rend Battle Cry Potion of the Old War ____________________________________________
      Change Log:
      7/17/2016: Original Post
      7/19/2016: Updated Post to reflect similarities in IV's Guide on Talents and Stat weights where needed.
      7/31/2016: Updated for recent simulation results in talent choices and stat priority. Also updated Addons.
      8/27/2016: Added Artifact path information.
      9/4/2016: Updated Stat Priorities, Rotation, Artifact Path, and Macros.
      9/18/20126: Updated Links of Interest, Stat Priorities, & Rotation Priority sections.
      9/27/2016: Updated FAQ and Macros sections.
      10/26/2016: Updated Macros section.
      12/08/2016: FAQ, Talents, Rotation, Macro sections updated.
      3/30/2017: Artifact Path updated for 7.2 changes.
      6/15/2017: Talents, Stats, & Rotation sections updated due to 7.2.5 changes to the Arms specialization.
      8/2/2017: Talents & Rotation sections updated to Rend Build. Included Fight Specific Talent choices. Addons updated. Removed Macros section.
    • By WindowsSeven
      I'm not entirely sure what I am doing wrong that is getting me this result, but I am getting about a 30k dps difference on training dummy when I use a defile, clawing shadows, shadow infusion build than when I use the recommended talents. I left the rest of my talents unchanged and I have yet to see where the dps difference is coming from (arbiter or clawing shadows), but I'm very confused as to how this could happen. Links to armory and mrrobot below.
      https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/wyrmrest-accord/goragi
      https://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/simulator/report/f3a7a9c5f88e4d10b5cb45224684a073
      Defile damage breakdown, Arbiter damage breakdown
      I felt like I had a harder time keeping my disease up and using coldheart on cooldown (or rather whenever at max stacks) with the arbiter build. Am I missing some key thing or do I just need to git gud? Thanks in advance for any help.