FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Knot

Why are trinkets so complicated?

So I have been using Azor's guide for a really long time, but it seems like the trinkets and stat weights contradict each other.

Take for example a (seemingly) straightforward comparison of the 2 stat stick trinkets, fel spring coil and chipped soul prism.  Using the stat weights in Azor's guide the heroic coil is worth 726.96 and the prism is worth 776.05, meaning that the prism is nearly 7% better than the coil.  However looking at the sim numbers in the guide the prism is only 2% better after subtracting out the baseline.

Of course this comparison gets even harder when you include procs or other effects like the mirror's blades, but I'm just wondering how the mirror is ranked so high.  Again using the stat weights the prism is damn near double the heroic mirror, whereas in the sim list the mirror is substantially higher than the prism.  It seems really strange to me that the mirror's blades are worth that much because they only do on average about 170k damage on a training dummy.

I guess my main point is that I wish there was a little more guidance in how trinkets are valued because it seems to me that the prism is a really tempting pick over the mirror despite everything I've read.

Take for example a (seemingly) straightforward comparison of the 2 stat stick trinkets, fel spring coil and chipped soul prism.  Using the stat weights in Azor's guide the heroic coil is worth 726.96 and the prism is worth 776.05, meaning that the prism is nearly 7% better than the coil.  However looking at the sim numbers in the guide the prism is only 2% better after subtracting out the baseline.

That's just stat weights.  Just because the CSP is 7% better than Coil in stat weights, doesn't mean it's 7% better dps.  It just means that the CSP is better (as it shows in the sim).

Of course this comparison gets even harder when you include procs or other effects like the mirror's blades, but I'm just wondering how the mirror is ranked so high.  Again using the stat weights the prism is damn near double the heroic mirror, whereas in the sim list the mirror is substantially higher than the prism.  It seems really strange to me that the mirror's blades are worth that much because they only do on average about 170k damage on a training dummy.

You can't use stat weights on a trinket with a proc, and definitely not on something like MotB, because that proc isn't up always, so you're just measuring the passive amount of stats on it, which doesn't tell the whole story.  Mirror of the Blademaster is ranked so high because it is good.  It will do ~5-7% of your damage on a ST fight and up to 13-15% of your damage if used correctly on an AoE fight.  Also, testing something on a target dummy is a realllllllly bad thing to do; you're missing 6 relevant buffs, hero/lust, etc.

That's just stat weights.  Just because the CSP is 7% better than Coil in stat weights, doesn't mean it's 7% better dps.  It just means that the CSP is better (as it shows in the sim).

I guess that's just a weird concept for me to think about.  If an item has 100 agi and adds 1,000 to your dps I would think that an item with 200 agi would add 2,000 to your dps, but apparently not.

Also, testing something on a target dummy is a realllllllly bad thing to do; you're missing 6 relevant buffs, hero/lust, etc.

I wasn't aware the blades were able to be buffed, I thought they were just a constant damage amount, I guess that could make a big difference then.

There are now just so many more levels of trinkets that don't fit into the sim list.  For example now that my prism is upgraded to 715 is it better than an unupgraded 720 coil?  Or how do I fit warforged/sockets into that?

Edited by Knot

I guess that's just a weird concept for me to think about.  If an item has 100 agi and adds 1,000 to your dps I would think that an item with 200 agi would add 2,000 to your dps, but apparently not.

Also, testing something on a target dummy is a realllllllly bad thing to do; you're missing 6 relevant buffs, hero/lust, etc.

I wasn't aware the blades were able to be buffed, I thought they were just a constant damage amount, I guess that could make a big difference then.

There are now just so many more levels of trinkets that don't fit into the sim list.  For example now that my prism is upgraded to 715 is it better than an unupgraded 720 coil?  Or how do I fit warforged/sockets into that?

For stat stick trinkets (coil and CSP in this case), stat weights will work just fine to say which trinket is better.  Do note that a 730 (upgraded, ofc), Coil is BiS for progression, and only beaten by a 740 M Censer (also upgraded) for rank pushing, and maybe the heirloom trinket when against demon bosses.  Sockets are worth 75 (or 50, if you're cheap like me) Crit, which has a weight of 0.71.  Warforged is an ilvl bump, which in turn it's value is given by stat weights.  Sockets are more valuable than WF on every item except weapons, since WDPS is huge for MM.