FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Athinah

Balance Dps help...I have no idea what I'm doing anymore

I'm going to be upfront and say that my strong suit is Tanking, however I need a good dps spec for my guild (and just in general because I hate sucking). I've read multiple things and have tried getting help from various people in game, but I never seem to break 50k. I just can't understand what is not clicking. 

Please go easy on me, I'm here to learn (and i'm pretty self conscious) 

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/stormrage/Athinah/simple

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/1855526/latest#boss=0

If i'm not posting something right please let me know. 

First, I will look through your logs more thoroughly, but it will have to be tommorw or Monday. Bump the post Monday to remind me, I'm in the middle of moving today and I need to get everything set up.

Your armory looks perfectly fine. The only problem is the low item level. Nothing we can do about that, just need to be sure you keep getting mastery / crit / haste as much as you can.

Again logs, I can't really do from mobile. I'll get to you as soon as I can, just send me a reminder.

Also, if anyone wants to take a crack at it feel free. I'm just posting cause the forums have been a little slow recently and didn't want the OP to think he won't get a response.

Hello there fellow owl. I'll get myself in a bit. I've been looking at your October 17th Iron Reaver logs. 

There's a couple of things i see you're doing wrong.

Firstly you should follow ABC as much as you can. ABC = Allways Be Casting. There in the first 30secs i can see a couple of big gaps:

00:00:00.800 Athinah casts Moonfire on Iron Reaver
00:00:05.121 Athinah casts Celestial Alignment 

00:00:15.496 Athinah casts Moonfire on Iron Reaver
00:00:20.113 Athinah begins casting Starsurge 

That's almost 1/3rd of your time not dpsing. It is a lot, and costs you most dps. If you have to move a lot - use displacer beast. If you have to move just a few steps - fill that time with something. Starsurge if it fits, or at least refresh a dot - it will do some damage and will save you a GCD later. It's not a loss as you can't do anything while moving anyway.

Secondly you need to do your opener perfectly. It is easy, cause in most fights you have those 15secs to stand still and click your learnt by heart button sequence. I'll quote myself from another topic:

However I've seen that you're doing your opener wrong. You used CA and then Inc. It's just bad. You simply wasted GCD of CA doing nothing. What I'm doing (cause I'm too lazy to precast...) is:

-2secs pre pull INC
next GCD prepot and Starsurge
next GCD racial+CA+moonfire
Cointinue 2x starfire > starsurge. 
Possibly refresh dots if you can't squeze in another starsurge.

Your dot uptime seems fine, although I haven't checked when you refresh them.

Another bad thing is that you casted starfall twice in first 2 minutes. You want to spend your starsurges on empowerment buffs, and use those buffs as much as you can. 

These are very basic things that has biggest effect on your dps. I recommend you to spend some time on a dummy, just to get comfy with boomkin opener and rotation as a whole.

Edited by Pinkis

Okay that was very helpful and I will keep this in mind, however I don't understand what you mean by 

These are very basic things that haste biggest effect on your dps.

Also I was wondering if you could answer for me, why i've seen several moonkin running around in multistrike gear. It was to my understanding that it's pretty far down on the priority list, however the people i've seen with this gear seem to be people doing mythic. 

Thank you very much for your time and input! 

Whoops, I made a typo. Somehow I managed to mistype "has" into "haste" ^.^

About stat prio - you want highest ilvl gear piece that has mastery on it. There are few exceptions though, if mastery piece is like 10ilvl lower you simply pick a piece with other stats. Ultimately you want to avoid versatility.

okay so mastery is just that much more important then everything else i guess. 

It's just weird since all of their pieces that i saw had multi on it, like they were prioritizing that. 

thank you for your help. 

Really, ilvl will start to Trump everything. You're going to be swimming in so much mastery, more mastery won't really give you more damage.

Haste, crit and mastery are all very close in weight (with mastery being slightly higher) but once you out class crit and haste a few thousand stats (like I have) more mastery doesn't really add much to your total damage. Int, haste and crit will. If you're seeing MS on high geared boomkins it's because of ilvl, not MS. (MS is just another version of crit, but with no procs)

Next I would like to stress how important haste is to your overall comfort level in casting (especially in your opener.) I have about 1k haste, give or take, which is just enough to get about 3 (or 4? I can't remember without internet )= ) sets of empowered starfire. IMO, you need to be sure to get to a level where you use ALL your empowerment buffs during CA as well as cast that last moonfire to refresh. If you have 1 empowerment left, you need to see how far you are from finishing and getting more or Less haste.

Now this is mostly a side project, don't go out of your way to fix this, just be aware. There was a time in my gear where I had 500 haste, and I could feel how bad my openers were. I just had to wait until the gear came along.

Kaazy, I guess same goes for crit? As I've read your post, I went to check my stats, and saw that I'm quite high on mastery, as I'm stacking it. Also I have kind of lots of haste, and quite low crit. To be exact taken from armory:

Mastery 3213

Haste 1979
Multi 1070
Crit 620

My crit will increase, as I'll be swapping my fist+offhand to tyrants hammer, so it will be a bit over 1k. I know it's not the deciding factor of the dps, but I just like to know all kind of stuff, including stat numbers :) 
Edited by Pinkis

Yeah i noticed recently my haste is quite low. It's something i've been trying to improve on. 

I also have to ask, can someone suggest a addon or a place where I can use someone's weak auras? I prefer having all of my stuff at one location and hate having to look all over my screen for procs, empowerment, metronome, etc. When I was feral, I had a really awesome weak aura that helped out my dps a lot, however I got that from some guild members who were either familiar with cat or energy users in general. No one in my guild really knows how to boomkin. 

I really appreciate all the help here, I cleared up my opener the other day and noticed a instant improvement :)

I really appreciate all the help here, I cleared up my opener the other day and noticed a instant improvement :)

I'll look at your opener in logs and tell you if it's right once I get internet.

@Pinkis, not really because you can feel the damage difference more with haste as it affects your spell timing. But you're on the right track because in terms of weights haste and crit are equal (because the both affect your SS procs in roughly equal terms)

In general you do want haste and crit more equal with mastery higher and everything else below. Hell, you can still do well if your haste, crit and mastery are all equal. Its why trinkets like soul prism and orb of void sight are so good, balance thrives on those 3 stats since they are so close in value.

I'd offer to look at my armory, but sadly I logged out as resto =/. Just have to wait until Sunday.