Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kayleee

Survival Hunter Rotation and Stats questions

5 posts in this topic

I have two questions regarding Survival Hunters.

In your guide, you mention that the shot priority is Explosive Shot and then Kill Shot (if available, of course). I've read this in a few other reputable places, but then, I've also seen some say that it's not true, including the other hunter in our guild (I asked him about this specifically, we don't sit around talking about rotations lol). These other people claim that if Explosive Shot is available, you should cast it ahead of ES.

So, without meaning to question your guide, which is it? And why is Explosive Shot ahead of Kill Shot?

Regarding stats, I wanted to ask what makes Crit better than Mastery. You even state in the guide that it increases basically all of your shots' damage except Kill Shot and auto attacks. I've always been sticking with Mastery stacking since Cataclysm came out, even since leveling, since it's what I was told then, and it's been working great for me. But again, I'm happy to defer to your knowledge. I'd just like to know why (since the guide doesn't state it).

Awesome guide otherwise, helped me understand my rotation a lot more clearly and very complete overall.

I would always cast KS ahead of ES (unless it was the free proc and that would only be because I got excited by the shiny shiny). I however am mm main spec and only use surv when it is a aoe fight. I am aware than surv is better overall at the moment, I just don't like it as much... and I can beat the guild's surv hunter in a straight dps race so it is all good.

The anoying this is you can't play about with target dummys to see what is better.

This is quite a good simulator if you have not come across it: http://www.femaledwarf.com/

Bob in your stats; use both shot priors and see which one should give you more damage.

Then change your stats to compare if you should be stacking crit or mastery. I would also then look at the rotation again because this may impact it.

Bit of a fiddle though you can import your toon which makes it easier.

I also would go mastery>crit so I would be interested to see the results...

I've been fiddling around with my hunter in femaledwarf, and the information in our guide holds true.

First of all, femaledwarf attributes a much higher stat weight to Critical Strike Rating than to Masery Rating. I modified my gear to prioritise Mastery, and ran the simulation, and it resulted in a rather hefty DPS loss.

Secondly, femaledwarf's default Survival priority places Explosive Shot above Kill Shot. I switched their place in the priority and ran the simulation, and the result was a (very very minor) DPS loss.

So, kaylee, to answer you. We believe that it is better to prioritise Explosive Shot over Kill Shot, and it will net you a very small DPS gain (ES hits harder, and you want to absolutely maximise the amount of times you get to cast it). However, this situation will only arise a few times per encounter and, overall, it isn't something that will be noticeable at the end of the fight.

Yes, you are correct that Mastery Rating increases all damage done by Survival Hunters with the exception of auto shots and Kill Shot. But Critical Strike Rating is a better stat. Why? I don't know, but both theorycrafting and practice show that Critical Strike Rating does more damage. It's just a bigger DPS gain than Mastery.

1 person likes this

I'm just bumping this so that my sticky doesn't appear as the "last post" in this section on the board index :P

I've been fiddling around with my hunter in femaledwarf, and the information in our guide holds true.

First of all, femaledwarf attributes a much higher stat weight to Critical Strike Rating than to Masery Rating. I modified my gear to prioritise Mastery, and ran the simulation, and it resulted in a rather hefty DPS loss.

Secondly, femaledwarf's default Survival priority places Explosive Shot above Kill Shot. I switched their place in the priority and ran the simulation, and the result was a (very very minor) DPS loss.

So, kaylee, to answer you. We believe that it is better to prioritise Explosive Shot over Kill Shot, and it will net you a very small DPS gain (ES hits harder, and you want to absolutely maximise the amount of times you get to cast it). However, this situation will only arise a few times per encounter and, overall, it isn't something that will be noticeable at the end of the fight.

Yes, you are correct that Mastery Rating increases all damage done by Survival Hunters with the exception of auto shots and Kill Shot. But Critical Strike Rating is a better stat. Why? I don't know, but both theorycrafting and practice show that Critical Strike Rating does more damage. It's just a bigger DPS gain than Mastery.

Crit and mastery are very close in terms of raw damage gain as said from here http://www.warcrafthuntersunion.com/2010/12/hunter-stat-scaling/

However, You have the meta. Crit works off of all of your abilities rather than however many are boosted by mastery and crit also has talents that work off of it, like go for the throat and sic 'em for example. Your pet also inherits your crit rating.

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By molodirazz
      All applications will be reviewed and considered however if you are playing a class/spec combination we need then your chances of joining will be higher.
      A little bit of info about us:
      We are a group of friends and serious raiders on EU Twisting Nether looking to recruit skilled like-minded players into our roster for Mythic Legion raids. We will offer a sociable and fun raiding environment while maintaining a strong desire for progression. Our Discord is very active and we encourage all members to chat and play together not only for raids.

We currently raid Wednesday, Sunday and Tuesday 19:00-22:00 server time. We run social/alt raids during off days in which all ranks of the guild are welcome to come to. Our members also play other games outside raid times together where anyone is also welcome to join(LoL, Dota, HotS, Overwatch etc.).
      Our loot system for Mythic is RC Loot Council.
      What we expect from you:
      - We are a raiding guild with a 3 days a week schedule that you are expected to attend. However we understand things can come up but please let us know.
      - Be able to speak and understand the English language and not be afraid to communicate with other members during raids.
      - Actively doing dungeons and world quests to gear in preparation for raids. This includes improving your artifact weapon.
      - Have a strong understanding of the current raid tier and be able to play your class to it's potential.
      - Always come to raids prepared (i.e. bringing food and potions, etc).
      - Come fully gemmed and enchanted with the correct stats for your class and spec.
      - Access to Discord and a working microphone.
      - Have a computer that can handle 20 man raiding.
      - Exorsus Raid Tools and RC Loot Council addons installed. We may ask you to install others.
      - Experience on 4 or more bosses in EN Mythic.
      You will receive a response within 3 days but probably within 1. The trial process will last 2 weeks, sometimes longer. During the trial period you will not have loot priority over raiders however you may of course still roll.
      If you have any further questions please contact us at battletags: Vims#21684  or go to our website http://asylum-tn.enjin.com/ .
      __________________________________________________________________________________
      We're currently looking for the classes below but may consider other classes as well.
      All applications will be reviewed and considered however if you are playing a class/spec combination we need then your chances of joining will be higher.
      A little bit of info about us:
      We are a group of friends and serious raiders on EU Twisting Nether looking to recruit skilled like-minded players into our roster for Mythic Legion raids. We will offer a sociable and fun raiding environment while maintaining a strong desire for progression. Our Discord is very active and we encourage all members to chat and play together not only for raids.

We currently raid Wednesday, Sunday and Tuesday 19:00-22:00 server time. We run social/alt raids during off days in which all ranks of the guild are welcome to come to. Our members also play other games outside raid times together where anyone is also welcome to join(LoL, Dota, HotS, Overwatch etc.).
      Our loot system for Mythic is RC Loot Council.
      What we expect from you:
      - We are a raiding guild with a 3 days a week schedule that you are expected to attend. However we understand things can come up but please let us know.
      - Be able to speak and understand the English language and not be afraid to communicate with other members during raids.
      - Actively doing dungeons and world quests to gear in preparation for raids. This includes improving your artifact weapon.
      - Have a strong understanding of the current raid tier and be able to play your class to it's potential.
      - Always come to raids prepared (i.e. bringing food and potions, etc).
      - Come fully gemmed and enchanted with the correct stats for your class and spec.
      - Access to Discord and a working microphone.
      - Have a computer that can handle 20 man raiding.
      - Exorsus Raid Tools and RC Loot Council addons installed. We may ask you to install others.
      - Experience on 4 or more bosses in EN Mythic.
      You will receive a response within 3 days but probably within 1. The trial process will last 2 weeks, sometimes longer. During the trial period you will not have loot priority over raiders however you may of course still roll.
      If you have any further questions please contact us at battletags: Vims#21684 or go to our website http://asylum-tn.enjin.com/ .
      __________________________________________________________________________________
      We're currently looking for the classes below but may consider other classes as well.
      Druid: Restoration And Balance.
      Monk: Mistweaver.
      Shaman: Restoration.
      Hunter: One.
      Other dps will also be considered.
    • By NasharStormrage
      So,
      Which trinket should I be using (obviously arms warriors are not concerned with iLvl because Mastery is desired over strength.
      I have the 820 iLvl trinket from a timewarped dungeon and that with heroism, Battle Cry, Potion, trinket use, could provide an extreme amount of dps burst which is also on a 1.5m CD. It seems like an obvious choice but I wanted to hear any thoughts or opinions that people have since I'll be losing 500+ static mastery. Also, the use effect gives around 20-24% increased damage during colossus smash. 
      Thoughts?... 

• By VeeImperium
      Stormrage [A] - 3/7 Mythic - 7/7 Heroic - FRI & MON - 9pm-12am EST
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Imperium, a progressive and well-respected raiding guild. Seeking like-minded individuals to join our team.  We provide good guild culture, consistent loot distribution, laid-back leadership, like-minded, courteous, kind, and polite people.
      Our team has been playing together for 8 years. We have always maintained a strong progressive raid team in 10 and 25 mans with a very minimal raid schedule. When considering new members, we seek individuals who have excellent communication skills, a high level of maturity, and a manner of adult professionalism.

Raid Info
      Friday & Monday 9:00pm - 12:00am EST
      Emerald Nightmare - 3/7 Mythic - 7/7 Heroic

What to expect from us...
      - Raids that start and end on time.
      - A community of in-game support and socializing, Veteran players, 980+ Characters, 580+ Active Accounts, 650+ Level 100s.
      - Opportunity to be part of our weekly raid sales group
      - Fair and consistent leadership that only accepts quality players, and understands mistakes can happen.
      - A friendly and competitive dps environment, with frequent 95%+ parses
      - An opportunity to see all the content WoW has to offer.
      - Raid Consumables, and Enchantments provided.
      - Adult atmosphere, average age 25.
      - We DO NOT recruit for bench positions.

What we expect from you...
      - Desire to be part of a team. This includes being on Mumble and taking an interest in the guilds objectives, upholding its principles and helping to secure its longevity.
      - Great verbal communication during raid.
      - Good attitude and mutual respect towards fellow guild and raid team members.
      - High to perfect raid attendance.
      - Perseverance. Wiping is part of the game, and staying motivated and positive is a must.
      - Know your class and all of its abilities. Have a viable off spec for the team.
      - Be active and contribute to the guild forums.

Currently Recruiting:
      1 Melee DPS
      1 Ranged DPS
      1 Healer: Holy Priest, Holy Paladin or Resto Shaman
      Exceptional players are always considered.

Visit ImperiumGuild.ca to apply or to learn more about us.
      Vee#1811
      Mochi#11316
      Roxycodone#1543
      Nyyankees29#1435
      Skratchh#1194

• By Damien
      This thread is for comments about our Midrange Beast Hunter Standard Deck.
    • By liverbiird
      now ive tried diffrent ways of doing my rotation but i still cant seem to "hold it up" i am high up at start...til like 30-60sec into the fight then i start falling behind:(

So iam willing to give out 1 token to whom ever can give me a reasonable, understandable solution that works for me
      (i know i didnt optimize my trueshot, prepots etc etc) But the problem is after trueshot and my troll racial is "over" i start falling:(
      this is what i wanna figure out, ive tried to do Aimed and then barrage/windburst etc but i seem to starve on focus, ive tried the 2aimed then some cd's but seems i fall behind on Aimedshot dmg then:(

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/xZf9NW1KV6nyLgXQ#fight=30&type=damage-done&source=153          <----Log of the actuall kill
      here i got run over, but still my numbers are abysmal  (7% pref(

here is the same rotation but a wipe  (29% pref)
      https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/xZf9NW1KV6nyLgXQ#fight=28&type=damage-done&source=153 

another wipe, same rotation but only 9% pref
      https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/xZf9NW1KV6nyLgXQ#fight=27&type=damage-done&source=153 

So even with the same rotation (atleast i think and feel like i do the same) i can go from 7% pref to 29% pref, i know alot of dmg is RNG but i cant be THAT Unlucky
      id say my avg preformance is about 10% so iam not unlucky iam sucky:(
      but i need to understand what i need to work on:( rotation i know...but is it as simple as to get the azortian down to the perfection?
      cause ive seen other hunters do my "get as many aimedshot as possible into vuln phase" do like 98% pref...but when i do it i fall down to 9.8:)

tnx for any input and help

and ill be more then willing to hand out a token for a guide/suggestion that actually works for me