NonsenseKing

Legendary crafting advice

18 posts in this topic

So, I'm currently sitting on about 2k dust, and am looking to craft some cards.  Legendaries I already have are

Paladin

Tirion Fordring (opened recently)

Priest

Confessor Paletress

Prophet Velen

Warlock

Lord Jaraxxus

Generic

Leeroy Jenkins

Hogger

Dr Boom (Crafted him previously, since basically every deck out there calls for him)

Ragnaros

Nozdormu

Deathwing

I also have all the legendaries from the adventures as well.

As for deck types, I've been playing a lot of face hunter (got kind of tired of it), and have lately been playing a lot of Patron Warrior with some success.

Since I just opened Tirion, I'm somewhat considering putting together a paladin deck, but I'm not certain I want to go with the evident cheese of secret paladin (Would also need to craft 2 mysterious challenger, as I have none).

So, I'm torn between Grommash Hellscream, which is pretty much a staple in any warrior deck, or a generic legendary.  Sylvanas, Ysera, and Alexstrazsa seem like the top choices available there, but I was hoping to pick people's brains for some opinions/insight for which way to proceed.

Thanks!

Edited by NonsenseKing

I have collected over 4k dust wondering the same questions. While class legendaries, are obviously bound to a particular class, various neutral legendaries are also better in some classes and archetypes than others. So it depends on what class and deck archetype you enjoy. Do you like midrange style, tempo style, control, very long fatigue control, or collect a bunch of cards and hold back on plays make combos burst down your enemy.

From forums and such here is what I have gathered.

Neutral:

Sylavanas, Good in most decks. Great in priest. I believe some druids use quite a bit it well. Quite a few warlock decks use it as well ( you already have jaraxus, but some decks use Jaraxus with Malghanis instead and some use Malghanis with sylvanas so you might wanna look em up in the decks section on the website to see what other cards you have for what deck)

Ysera: Great in long control/fatigue decks (warrior, priest) otherwise can be a bit slow. Control warrior is expensive overall though.

Malygos: Works in a few unique decks, like freeze malygos, Malygos rogue. There is even a malygos warlock i believe. This is more of a control card used in longer games with the burst/combo playstyle.

Alexstrasza: Used in freeze mage mostly. not sure but some control warriors might user her too. I believe so does OTK priest with Velen. So she is used in control and long control combo matches where you reduce your opponents health from 30 to 15 with alex to setup for a burst lethal next turn.

Class:
Malganis: My first legendary and a personal favorite within my collection. Used in a few warlock archetypes but susceptible to BGH. As I mentioned quite a few decks use this in combination with either jaraxus or sylvanas.

Arch mage antonidas: A staple in any competitive mage deck.

Grommash: since you are playing warrior and having fun and success with it, you might consider him as he is a strong finisher. Chances are he will complete your patron deck. (since most othercards are either adventures or rares)

2x Mysterious challenger: Even though this isn't a legendary looking at your dust if you craft two of these you wont be able to craft another legendary, so I've included this here. Used in secret paladin and since you already have tyrion it could give you a strong deck off the bat. keep in mind you will be playing one of the most hated decks by the community.

Personally I would go with a legendary that can complete a deck for you, or a neutral once which can be used in various decks. From a more greedy/fun stand point, you might wanna craft cards which would allow you to use one of your pre existsing legendaries. It feelsgoodman when you are able to use a legendary you got from a pack in a viable deck.

whenever I get a meta legendary I cant use becuase I dont have the other cards for the deck I raise my fist to the sky and scream "One day!". Well your day can be now...

Since a few people have put up individual topics on the theme of "What legendary to craft." Maybe one of the moderators can make a sticky topic similar to the rate/improve my deck post.

I know a few of us reach a road block at some time and look for advice. While there is a crafting guide on the website, it only compares within a class and the best answer to each persons collection and dust is often unique and dependent on the meta.

Edited by positiv2
3 people like this

You can safely disenchant Hogger, Nozdormu and Deathwing.

Grommash is a really strong legendary and if you like Patron Warrior, just go for him. Simple as that. 

Also, it's Tirion, not Tyrion.

@valkyr: Sylvanas is not that strong in aggro meta (which is the one we have now). 

Although Malygos offers you new deck, none of them are the strongest deck for any class, making him more of a fun card.

Yes, crafting a few epic cards is often a better choice than crafting legendary. 

As for the topic, it is a good idea and I will do it on Friday or during the weekend. The biggest problem will be that it can't help you decide between crafting a legendary for a specific deck or to craft a generic legendary for a lot of classes/decks. Nonetheless, good idea!

2 people like this

Thanks for the Tirion correction. I didn't realize even though its one of the good legendaries i own. Game of thrones must be on my mind. I did have a question regarding big legendaries in current meta though.

So in an aggro heavy meta,  I get that Sylvanas is bad since you end up grabbing something which is a really low value card. But Is ysera automatically bad too since it is slow? Or would a deck using her have enough tools to deal with the aggro...

I don't actually recall you having spelt (spelled?) Tirion wrong, the first part was aimed for NonsenseKing. However, I remember you had Alextraza instead of Alexstrasza, but that's not important now, it's just triggering my inner grammar nazi. 

Ysera is a win condition in control priest and therefore has to be included. She can also produce Ysera Awakens which will wipe the opponent's board. You also get a 4/12 minion that can be used to trade quite a few times. Also, priest is somewhat favoured against aggro anyway. Sylva is basically an anti-control tech card, whereas Ysera is a win condition.

That depends on the deck. The decks that use her are Control Warrior (Bashes, Brawls, Armorsmiths, Hero Power and so on), control priest (lightbombs, holy novas, hero power and so on), dragon decks (twilight whelp and wyrmrest for priest, alexstrasza's champion for warrior, twilight guardian for all decks). She is used as a win condition in control decks and as a big strong dragon threat in dragon decks. 

1 person likes this

Grommash is a really strong legendary and if you like Patron Warrior, just go for him. Simple as that. 

So, I also just opened up Nat Pagle, which I'm guessing isn't terribly useful either.  With my 2200 dust, then getting rid of Hogger, Nozdormu, Deathwing, and Nat Pagle, puts me up to 3600, so probably craft Grommash, and maybe Ysera, or go Grommash and add in the mysterious challengers?  I guess if I wanted to try transitioning over to control warrior over patron, and maybe do freeze mage at some point, Alexstrasza is pretty required too. =/

Edited by NonsenseKing

So, I also just opened up Nat Pagle, which I'm guessing isn't terribly useful either.  With my 2200 dust, then getting rid of Hogger, Nozdormu, Deathwing, and Nat Pagle, puts me up to 3600, so probably craft Grommash, and maybe Ysera, or go Grommash and add in the mysterious challengers?  I guess if I wanted to try transitioning over to control warrior over patron, and maybe do freeze mage at some point, Alexstrasza is pretty required too. =/

Based off of everything I read I would agree with your intuition to craft Grommash and Alexstrasza. You would get a strong start to playing Control Warrior and you still get to try out Freeze Mage like you said.

I don't play warrior a lot, so feel free to disregard what I say about this.To my understanding, Control warrior plays a very different strategy from Patron. Control has a lot less board presence and plays to outlast the opponent and have them exhaust their resources. They use a lot of different legondaries for these reasons since they wont be pushing for damage, early to mid game. I would not recommend crafting something just for this until you have a few of the good legendaries you can use for the deck. Just alex and gromash may not be enough.You dont push alot of early mid game damage or board presence so Justicar increases you outlast potential and Alex makes up for the lack of early mid game damage. Baron Geddon controls the board for you, Ysera puts you ahead in terms of resources and Gromash seals the deal.  But that's just me and I can be wrong.

Since Freeze mage has limited damage in the deck it adds an Antonidas with the Alex to make more fireballs so that they dont get left behind.

If it were me I would pick MC because it is so strong right now and you already have boom and Tirion, that is only if you want to play that style. It has been critised as being brain dead and an autoplay style.

You can save the leftover dust to craft another legendary once your collection gets even better and new potential decks begin to form from it.

Edited by Valkyr

@NonsenseKing: Yes, you can safely disenchant him. It's up to you how much you like patron and if you think you will be able to stay with him. Alex is used in one very strong deck and so is Grommash. Control warrior is not that good anymore. Freeze Mage is currently stronger, but more expensive. I recommend you to finish one deck first and then start crafting cards for other decks. So therefore craft Grommash and craft other missing cards for patron (if any), and start crafting cards for another deck.

@KingMe: Control warrior is currently weaker than midrange and therefore Alex would be used only in Freeze Mage.

@Valkyr: Grommash and Alex would actually be somewhat enough. The deck would have to have a few more proactive cards though, which slightly limits its late-game power, but still keeps it decently strong compared to the full build. 

Alex is usually meant to kill your opponent with Grommash next turn. Geddon and removal spells are used to stabilize. 

Also, it's Tirion, not Tyrion.

@valkyr: Sylvanas is not that strong in aggro meta (which is the one we have now). 

Although Malygos offers you new deck, none of them are the strongest deck for any class, making him more of a fun card.

Yes, crafting a few epic cards is often a better choice than crafting legendary. 

As for the topic, it is a good idea and I will do it on Friday or during the weekend. The biggest problem will be that it can't help you decide between crafting a legendary for a specific deck or to craft a generic legendary for a lot of classes/decks. Nonetheless, good idea!

Deathwing is used in some variations of control warrior, including the most popular build of it right now.

You mean fibonacci's list? It's more of a fatigue warrior. Also, most popular doesn't mean strongest. So not only it is used in only one type of warrior, fatigue warrior can be easily played even without Deathwing.

You mean fibonacci's list? It's more of a fatigue warrior. Also, most popular doesn't mean strongest. So not only it is used in only one type of warrior, fatigue warrior can be easily played even without Deathwing.

It has quite a bit of card draw in it, so I would call it more control then fatigue, and the "strongest" is largely up for debate.  But it is tooled more for an aggressive meta, which is what we are currently in.  I mean the only control decks I have seen in the last several dozen games were 1 control warrior and a fair few control priests.  I have certainly had more success with it then the more traditional version.

My general point is, Deathwing is used in a some what popular current deck, where as Hogger is used in none, and Nozdormu was only used in a super cheesy deck that I believe was fixed (although I am not 100% sure if they did).

Edited by VaraTreledees

Personally I would be very conservative with disenchanting any non-duplicate legendaries. Some of them seem useless in constructed decks - probably are - but they are also expensive to craft when you do need them.

Imagine how annoyed at yourself you would be if you had disenchanted a Deathwing like three months ago, when everyone would have said that was safe, then stumbled upon Fibonacci's list, really liked the look of it and were itching to give that very configuration a try alas now you are short a Deathwing... 

[Not saying that Fibonacci's list is the be all, end all or that it is completely unviable without Deathwing. Just that you never know when you will need that legendary. Especially in Tavern Brawls like the current one. :) ] 

Edited by Kobal
1 person likes this

If you are considering Gromash, you might want to keep Deathwing. There are a couple Control Warrior decks that use Deathwing as the win condition. I play a lot of Control Warrior and regret having dusted Deathwing awhile ago.

Ok I need some advice. I have all the necessary legendaries (Sylvanas, ysera, Alex, rag, grom, justicar; and the class legendaries tony, ganis, jaraxxus, cenarius). I have 1600 dust and I'm looking to add a legendary to one of my decks. I main renolock and dragon priest, with a bit of control priest and tempo Mage thrown in. I am deciding between chillmaw, saraad, confessor (which I really like but seems a bit expensive, and leeroy. Leeroy I would only use in renolock as I hate playing face decks. Any other suggestions I might go with? Is confessor too expensive for its stats because that's what I'm leaning towards. Thanks!

Confessor isn't played for her stats: you play her once you dominate the board and use her as your win condition, in the same way as Ysera. However, she is really slow and should be played in a very slow meta.

Chillmaw is nice against aggro decks, but you aim to have strong board with Dragon priest, Chillmaw will hurt you board as well, which is not exactly what you want. 

Leeroy is an interesting card, don't have much experience with it, but Sottle ran it in his reno combolock, so I guess it's good. Can't say how important he is though. I also lean more towards the control Renolock instead of combo Renolock. However, he is the only card (somewhat) commonly used and therefore is the best bet now.

1 person likes this

Even though you haven't mentioned it I am assuming you already have boom. Rhonin is a legendary that is used in a variation of tempo mage. While he can be a bit slow, He does synergise with Toni (There is a deck on icyveins called "secretless legendary tempo" which uses him.) I have Rhonin but no toni, so I can't tell you first hand how good he is in that combination. I did get some insane combos using him in the last tavern brawl. Super fun throwing out a hand full of arcane missiles with flamewalkers on the board.

Malygos has been seeing more play recently, (not just in brawl). Though I don't think he has a place in tempo mage. Maybe a tech card like harrison jones, which could fit in various decks.