Damien

Witch Doctor Gargantuan with Helltooth

82 posts in this topic

how does the compass rose and the travelers pledge compare to using a hell fire amulet with convention of elements?  I've seen people using both setups just trying to figure out if there is a major difference since it was not mentioned in the guide.

thanks.

how does the compass rose and the travelers pledge compare to using a hell fire amulet with convention of elements?  I've seen people using both setups just trying to figure out if there is a major difference since it was not mentioned in the guide.

thanks.

The Endless Walk set in place of Hellfire + CoE should do alright. You have to make a conscious effort to remain more static in fights though, and this playstyle depends on dodging while fight a fair bit.

I notice you using Bane of the Stricken in this build. I have been reading this is useless for pets as they do not proc it. So wouldn't it make more sense to use Bane of the Trapped? Is it true Bane of the Sticken is useless for pet builds?

I am using Esoteric Alteration for damage reduction and the Compass Rose set as well. 

I notice you using Bane of the Stricken in this build. I have been reading this is useless for pets as they do not proc it. So wouldn't it make more sense to use Bane of the Trapped? Is it true Bane of the Sticken is useless for pet builds?

I am using Esoteric Alteration for damage reduction and the Compass Rose set as well. 

Heya, you'll notice Bane of the Trapped is recommended along with Stricken. And while pets do not stack Stricken, YOU do - and the pets benefit from your stacks!

1. What do you reliably stack bane of the stricken with? Does WoD communing with spirits proc stricken each time it deals damage?

2. Re: the Helltooth 4 piece: must you apply necrosis, or when your pets apply it (as it says they do in the Helltooth 2 piece description), do you get the 50% damage reduction as well?

3. I understand and have observed that WoD communing with spirits only deals damage along its ring--meaning it deals no damage in the middle of the circle. However, it says it chills "nearby" enemies. Does this mean that it chills (and possible reduces the damage) of enemies who are near the circle but not necessarily taking damage from the circle?

1. What do you reliably stack bane of the stricken with? Does WoD communing with spirits proc stricken each time it deals damage?

2. Re: the Helltooth 4 piece: must you apply necrosis, or when your pets apply it (as it says they do in the Helltooth 2 piece description), do you get the 50% damage reduction as well?

3. I understand and have observed that WoD communing with spirits only deals damage along its ring--meaning it deals no damage in the middle of the circle. However, it says it chills "nearby" enemies. Does this mean that it chills (and possible reduces the damage) of enemies who are near the circle but not necessarily taking damage from the circle?

1. Bane of the Stricken is independent of proc coefficients, but does not proc off skills with a proc coefficient of 0% (Damage over Time ticks, Pet attacks) or skills that do not deal damage. It always procs on the first target hit per cast.

You can consult this page to see what WD skills have proc coefficients: http://www.d3maxstats.com/skills/wd/

2. Sorry if I worded it confusingly in the guide, your pets indeed apply Necrosis of their own. That being said, you are better at finding targets and spreading Necrosis first, so once the pets catch up they can whale away on debuffed targets immediately.

3. It should be chilling everything in the radius, yes.

As for the Lakumbra vs Jeram question: Jeram will allow you to spread more Wall of Deaths but if anything breaks through them, you're screwed. It's a bracer mostly aimed at buffing WoD damage, and the Garg spec doesn't focus on that. Lakumbra paired with Sacred Harvester give you one of the strongest damage AND toughness buffs in the Witch Doctor arsenal, and it's all independent of enemy positioning.

Hi. I'm trying to understand how the garg damage is calculated. I have a build focused on pets (helltooth with gargs and zombie dogs) and for the mojo I'm using I am not sure which stat to roll (prioritize on): additional intelligence (by going for the socket and flawless royal topaz) or increase garg dmg%. There seems to be contradictory info on different forums/sites (in some places priority on Int. is mentioned (like here), while on others they mention increase garg dmg% should be priority.

Can you please help? 

Thanks a lot

Hi. I'm trying to understand how the garg damage is calculated. I have a build focused on pets (helltooth with gargs and zombie dogs) and for the mojo I'm using I am not sure which stat to roll (prioritize on): additional intelligence (by going for the socket and flawless royal topaz) or increase garg dmg%. There seems to be contradictory info on different forums/sites (in some places priority on Int. is mentioned (like here), while on others they mention increase garg dmg% should be priority.

Can someone please advise? 

Thanks a lot

Generally, how I've always understood it, priorities are listed from most desired, to least important (but still better than any other roll you can get). Although intelligence is listed 2, it wouldn't be advantageous to roll a socket for only an additional 250 int. If a socket is preferred, it will state that in the state priorities. You're better off rolling a socket to gargantuan %, so long as the previous stats that are listed prior are already rolled on your gear. Hope that helps.

Thanks a lot

Hello! In your case, Gargantuan damage would be more beneficial than socketed Intelligence; if I were to imply additional Intelligence is needed through a Socket, I would list it as 'Socket (Flawless Royal Topaz)'.

I have made for your (and mine) convenience a simulation page of a Gargantuan Helltooth Witch Doctor with perfected gear and stats, you can toy around with his stats here:

http://www.d3planner.com/941213908

If you hover on the Gargantuan DPS in the skill tab, you will also see a breakdown of what influences DPS and how. You'll see that socketed Topaz instead of a Gargantuan skill roll would drop your DPS by ~300 million :)

Hi Deadset,

Thank you very much for this built as i came back from a 2.5 year break and everything changed so much.

I followed your guide on this built by the book (at my best ability) and currently still trying to refine some gears into ancient and/or some of the equipped are not to its optimum based on priority.

Here is my Profile

From your build it focus alotof Area Dmg, Garg% and Cold dmg. Trying my best to fit into what you advised although farming for the gear is not easy :(

Hope you can advise on how to bring this further. Currently doing Grift 70 at best. Seems the zombie dogs cant chew that much. Elemental Dmg is just not enough to be crit. Even it crits its not enough to push further. So i guess have to re-roll some gears to your guideline:

• Shoulders (area dmg and garg % attr)
  • Bracers (cold dmg)
  • what else? :(

Please advise. Thanks alot!

would the uhkapian serpents be a good alternative. for the 30% dmg reduction?

Hello! I think your gear is decently rolled all around, but some pointers I can give are:

- On the set pieces: the shoulders are lacking, missing a Vitality roll and an Area Damage roll; the gloves will also be better with Vitality instead of Armor.

- Missing so much elemental damage is a big culprit. The Hellfire has a good passive to somewhat offset it, but definitely get bracers with Int/Vit/Cold/Crit Chance.

- Rubies have been heavily nerfed in terms of experience farming, so I'd definitely not use them in the helm over a Flawless Royal Amethyst for the Life %.

- More Paragons never hurt!

would the uhkapian serpents be a good alternative. for the 30% dmg reduction?

It can be, yes!

Regarding breakable objects:

Is there an elegant solution to dealing with breakable objects with this build? When not in combat, it seems you have to burn the Piranhas or Wall cool down to break anything.

It's a very solid and enjoyable build, but I have a feeling I'm missing out on loot when not doing Greater Rifts.

Hello! I think your gear is decently rolled all around, but some pointers I can give are:

- On the set pieces: the shoulders are lacking, missing a Vitality roll and an Area Damage roll; the gloves will also be better with Vitality instead of Armor.

- Missing so much elemental damage is a big culprit. The Hellfire has a good passive to somewhat offset it, but definitely get bracers with Int/Vit/Cold/Crit Chance.

- Rubies have been heavily nerfed in terms of experience farming, so I'd definitely not use them in the helm over a Flawless Royal Amethyst for the Life %.

Thank you for your kind advice. Trying to find all the replacements as you mentioned through farming. The kanai's and kadala seems to cheat off most of my nett worth LOL biggrin.png biggrin.png

Posted (edited)

Thank you for your kind advice. Trying to find all the replacements as you mentioned through farming. The kanai's and kadala seems to cheat off most of my nett worth LOL biggrin.png biggrin.png

Edited by waisir

Is there an elegant solution to dealing with breakable objects with this build? When not in combat, it seems you have to burn the Piranhas or Wall cool down to break anything.

Sadly that's the case. :( Breakables are the bane of the build.

Thanks a lot

Hello! In your case, Gargantuan damage would be more beneficial than socketed Intelligence; if I were to imply additional Intelligence is needed through a Socket, I would list it as 'Socket (Flawless Royal Topaz)'.

I have made for your (and mine) convenience a simulation page of a Gargantuan Helltooth Witch Doctor with perfected gear and stats, you can toy around with his stats here:

http://www.d3planner.com/941213908

If you hover on the Gargantuan DPS in the skill tab, you will also see a breakdown of what influences DPS and how. You'll see that socketed Topaz instead of a Gargantuan skill roll would drop your DPS by ~300 million smile.png

Many thanks! Awesome...this is super valuable!

Cheers

P.S. Sorry for the late reply...Didn't get any notification that someone replied to my post and also got hooked up with other stuff the past month. 

Generally, how I've always understood it, priorities are listed from most desired, to least important (but still better than any other roll you can get). Although intelligence is listed 2, it wouldn't be advantageous to roll a socket for only an additional 250 int. If a socket is preferred, it will state that in the state priorities. You're better off rolling a socket to gargantuan %, so long as the previous stats that are listed prior are already rolled on your gear. Hope that helps.

Great. Many thanks for the help!

Cheers.

A tweaked version of this build has more speed farming viability than the Arachyr build in the speed farming page.

Posted (edited)

Hey mate, I'm back! biggrin.png

Quite a fair bit of leveling since I last touch base on the progress.

I took your advise seriously and made some few changes.

DiabloProgress Profile

D3 Planner ** slight difference in stats despite i ensure everything is right. not sure why

Shoulders

I found one with VIT roll but sadly no area dmg roll. But found a cooldown attr instead. Even found replacement which i need your advise whether should i change or not. That means a re-augment again too. Please advise. sad.png

Note: still rolling garg attr so please ignore.

DRO1rZd.jpg

Gloves

Your advise is spot on. and I was really lucky enough to find new one. Although i hope the stats for VIT vs INT were reversed tongue.png

eQHWt7B.jpg

Boots

Utterly confused. Found a replacement recently but didnt get the exact roll. hence have to re-roll the skill attr to armor hence sacrificing the movement speed sad to say Should i change this? 

** note: still rolling armor attr.

ELyhzRz.jpg

Elemental Dmg

You were right on elemental dmg. I replaced the old bracers with ancient one (still no luck with perfect roll so no INT :( ). The elemental dmg brought a whole new level on this. With this, i feel like replacing the INT attr with cold dmg too on the hellfire. Just have to grunt and grunt again. What do u think? Can't think of anything that can give cold dmg anymore unless we touch the jewelleries.

9oD7nqc.jpg

Issues faced

• Cooldown issues Critical. Instead of life gem i actually went for diamond as im desperate for cooldown. Just cant kill fast enough
  • gargs dying. I swapped chill to the bone with leeching beast. but not much help. Should i swap out my Pierce of Veil to swampland?
  • Can't push G77 solo. not that i cant kill. just cant kill fast enough. Unless you suggest its about time i move to LoN built. sad.png

Thanks again for your wonderful advise.

Edited by waisir

Issues faced

• Cooldown issues Critical. Instead of life gem i actually went for diamond as im desperate for cooldown. Just cant kill fast enough
  • gargs dying. I swapped chill to the bone with leeching beast. but not much help. Should i swap out my Pierce of Veil to swampland?
  • Can't push G77 solo. not that i cant kill. just cant kill fast enough. Unless you suggest its about time i move to LoN built. sad.png

Thanks again for your wonderful advise.

Hey! Definitely not the time to move to LoN, with the latest buffs Helltooth Garg is king. And you can try Swampland for sure! For some more definite advice - your planner link doesn't load up your character for me, but I saw some 80-ish level legendary gems, so I advise you group up a little as a support Doctor and upgrade to 100+. It'll be a noticeable bump in performance, since basically all your gems are independent damage multipliers now.

2.4.2 HT Haunt Gargs

Essentially the same setup, except:

6pc HT

Swap ZDogs for Haunt and place on mouse.

Cube Wormwood, Ring of Emptiness, and Mask of Jeram.

Jewelry is flexible:

Endless Walk and Shortman's or HF Amulet, CoE, and Shortman's.

Alternative setup swaps Henri's offhand for Ukapian Serpent and drops Piranhas for ZDogs

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor