FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Noahni

Idea's before next update

I think that the developers should have a discount on all expansions and adventures before they shift out but I dont know maybe in a few years the new standard mode will be more played then wild and old expansions and adventures wont be used or needed but I guess thats my

Thought on this topic,and maybe we can still get the old expansions packs from the arena

Problem with discounting old expansion packs is the skew it will create in disenchant value from previous expansions. If classic and GvG were cheaper today, many people would not bother with TgT. Buy the cheaper classic packs to disenchant and craft what they need from new packs. Dust value of cards from previous packs would have to be adjusted as well.

Adventures being cheaper could be a thing, but seeing how cards from naxx and BRM are still relevant, people will still pay the full amount. IF power creep happens then blizz wont have a choice but to make the previous wings cheaper.

• Like 2

To start off I agree with Valkyr . Go figure tongue.png

The new Standard mode, with the inclusion of a new expansion, kills most if not all decks we are use to seeing. Some can make a few subs and possibly shake it off (Druid and Priest), while others walk away from the explosion almost entirely unscathed ,(Face Shaman, only loosing Crackle). But all in all the Standard Meta will be something that older players will either find refreshing or frustrating. Brand new players won't know the difference while fairly new players will adjust a little easier.

Just to throw some of the major changes for those who don't know are:

No more Boom (calm down)

No more Mech decks.

Rouge as a class dies with the loss of Oil and Raptor. (without Healbot I don't think Malygos can survive).

Secret based decks like Hunter and Mage take a huge blow with the loss of Scientist.

Secret Paladin looses it's dominance with the loss of Avenge, Muster for Battle, Shielded Minibot and Quartermaster. 

Patron Warrior looses some of it's potency with it's loss of Death's Bite and Unstable Ghoul.

Warlock looses two key removal spells in Darkbomb and Imp-Plosion while also loosing Mal'Ganis and Voidcaller. 

Remember, If you do not like the new standard mode, you will still be able to play the Wild mode which is the one you are playing right now. 

There will be dragons. A ton of them. Definitely looking forward to it.

That's the point of the Standard: to make current meta decks useless and bring new decks or make them stronger. 

Handlock has always been a competitive archtype and it will remain so.  Mage is going to be the class that gets hit the hardest.  They lose scientist, two entire archtypes, plus duplicate which was a key component in both most control, and fatigue.  On top of that, quite a bit of tempo gets hacked out as well.

Why does blizzard always do this to me.angry.png

When I first joined, made a grim patron deck. 1 month later, patron nerfed.

Made secret pally 2 months ago, entire gvg gone.(heck, I just crafted 2 light bombs a week ago)

My tempo mage, oil, face, midrange hunter, midrange paladin are probably also kinda screwed too. 

Godammit blizzard. I shoud've crafted a midrange druid from the get go.

Why does blizzard always do this to me.angry.png

When I first joined, made a grim patron deck. 1 month later, patron nerfed.

Made secret pally 2 months ago, entire gvg gone.(heck, I just crafted 2 light bombs a week ago)

My tempo mage, oil, face, midrange hunter, midrange paladin are probably also kinda screwed too. 

Godammit blizzard. I shoud've crafted a midrange druid from the get go.

You will still be able to play Wild though, you don't lose anything.

I hope at least that I can still get the card back when I do reach legend on wild. Besides, as time goes on, wild will probably evolve into a huge cancer fest with all sorts of broken decks, since the devs don't really care about balancing the wild.

Okay, so I don't want to jump on judging the new system until I have evaluated the repercussions. Need to digest this news as it is pretty big. At first I read about the two formats, I thought, interesting... Then I read 2 lines which popped out and changed everything.

1. Past expansions & adventures will be taken off the store.

2. Standard mode will become the official tournament mode.

Now I don't play tournaments, but it is very clear that when blizzard says that Wild mode will be akin to what players are used to, is simply to keep players from panicking and rebelling against the idea. Its their way of saying, "Hey, you like that GvG legendary you labored over/spent money over, did you grind your way to get all naxx cards? don't fret, wild mode is still there."

However, what this decision entails is that blizzard will no longer think about balancing cards or classes in wild mode. Wild mode will become similar to tavern brawl. It just seems impossible to balance every new card for both modes. So as time goes on, Wild will become incredibly imbalanced, and standard will make all you past purchases moot.

On the flip side, Blizzard will have to make sure that new expansions will have important cards for each class. I think that should happen either way. But These new cards will only be relevant in the game for another 2 years. Everytime I buy a new expansion, I know that these cards have kind of a half life. After which they can only be used in half of the game, or what would have become the "joke" mode, since new cards will prob not be balanced against past expansions. (crude example if paladin gets a spell, give your 1/1 minions +2/+2 and charge, sure without muster NAxx and GvG, it seems okay, but add in a haunted creeper and muster in there and it could get out of hand)

Thinking about new players, by the time they are done with grabbing necessary cards from classic, another expansion would have become obsolete. Me for example, I finally am ready to buy Dr. Boom,and now I am sad that I wont know what it would've been like to use him in a relatively balanced meta. Same time I am glad I did not craft him since it would no longer be worth my while. (Yea I saved dust longer than I needed to, sitting on 6000 dust now). Blizzard says it doesn't want to nerf Boom because its not fair to peoplewho may have disenchanted other cards to make it, yet somehow, Limiting cards to one mode, is hunky dorey.

Speaking of boom, I was thinking, what if there was a mode where some of the most played cards become banned, people will have to think of non-cookie cutter and must include cards shining light on some less used legendary cards, but keeping that mode as THE standard seems weird. Yes the meta will change completely, Old deck archetypes will die with each expansion in standard mode and new will have to be forged. It might make fresh decks, but, without diversity of past expansions things may seem limiting. Variety may down.

Yes balancing a new expansion while keeping all old ones in mind seems hard, but this is starting to seem like a cop out. 

Okay so this evaluation is starting to depress me. Can someone, shed more light on the positive aspects of this? In the meantime I'm gonna continue hoping this is an april's fool joke. (They once did april's fool joke in WoW that new changes will segregate high geared players from interacting or seeing players with lower gear scores)

• Like 2

Positive (that's me, yay!) aspects? It's... uhh.. good for new players (although not really because they will need to get the same amount of cards anyway)? The main reason (and probably the only) is to get more cash. Blizzard being greedy, not a new thing.

• Like 1

I think it will be a good thing for the game. More people to stick with the game. 

It will split the community, make a few players quit because of the update and I am not even sure why people would stick to the game.

I think it will be a good thing for the game. More people to stick with the game.

It will split the community, make a few players quit because of the update and I am not even sure why people would stick to the game.

I will be sticking around.

I don't know if it is so much greed as it is now a possible cop out to be lazy on new content. "Well we made this....Don't need another for another year." Also they could do "Throwback" seasons were older sets are "legal" again. I've seen this in other card game metas. I like this change but then again I don't for some of the same reasons as Valkyr. Wild in the next year will become so unbalanced it will become almost unplayable for some people. I will play both though, mainly because I will not scrap what I've either spent money on or saved dust for. I have hope though that this change saves the longevity of this game without sacrificing too much in the process. 

• Like 1

Would you leave the game if the gamemode wasn't implemented?

No I would not. I would stick around either way. I have just recently gotten back into the game (November, 2015). Game is still kinda newish to me. 

Economics are tricky, but overall implementing Standard is a good thing rather than bad. I covered a lot of points I stick to in thread under the news, so feel free to check them out.

https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/15751-hearthstone-standard-rotational-format-announced/

Quite quote myself : as long as they make good sets, game is good and so are we.

Story behind making a good set is a rabbit hole that goes very deep, and I am no Blizzard game developer to make real calls about where it's really heading.

Can only say that there are two directions : either make new sets really good on their own, with a lot of inner synergy and interaction going, so it is both fun and balanced on the inside;

Or, to make a lot of functional reprints to keep existing archetypes, decks and classes with the tools they need. They don't need to be exactly the same, but I guess you got the idea.

Former is obviously much harder but it is a better gaming experience, while the latter can really disturb Wild mode and actually reduce diversity instead of promoting it, at least in a very long-term situation.

I think Blizzard kinda grasped the first option with LoE - cards like Reno are good enough to make a whole deck around it. Mech synergies were a lot of fun back in GvG meta, too.

One more question do u think its worth buy packs at the moment since classic is going to be nerfed and gvg gone and naxx,and wild mode to wild in the near future, its frustrating I crafted boom a month ago now there telling me i cant use him ( and yes I do agree with valkry )

I wonder what deck will be least affected by the update. Originally I thought control priest, then remembered light bomb. Perhaps freeze Mage, which does not use very many cards from other sets. Off the top of my head I think it will only lose scientist, and maybe healbot, if it is run. I am not exactly sure.

I wonder what deck will be least affected by the update. Originally I thought control priest, then remembered light bomb. Perhaps freeze Mage, which does not use very many cards from other sets. Off the top of my head I think it will only lose scientist, and maybe healbot, if it is run. I am not exactly sure.

Face Shaman. They only loose Crackle 

I'm feeling a little better now that blizzard has said that they will keep a balancing eye on both modes, but it is kind of unlikely that Wild mode will be as balanced as standard. It may open avenues where blizzard can safely nerf non-standard cards without creating an uproar to balance one mode without affecting the other.  The only concern now is wild cards not being available for purchase as packs at the store... this will automatically prevent new players from feeling comfortable to join in. Why anyone would craft a non-standard card (if the dust cost and value is same as a standard card) is beyond me. It did occur to me that blizzard may reduce dust cost and value of non-standard cards after the release and isn't announcing it yet to prevent a mass disenchant of GvG cards for a higher dust value in order to craft the new standard cards.

What do you guys think about not allowing cards from latest expansion to be available for crafting at all? Does it level the playing field? People who have been playing HS for so long are already ahead of the curve in the sense that they can just craft whatever card they need from new expansion.

@Chacal, Blizz did say they will nerf upto 20 cards from basic and classic sets. My money is on FoN changing to "Your charge minions have +1 attack"

• Like 2

Yeah, you're probably right about the nerfs to Druid cards. Seems to be widely expected.

I think a no-crafting rule for the latest expansion would be bad, unless you also add a no-packs-bought-for-real money rule too. If you could only get new expansion cards from earning gold in the game that would be cool but would obviously not happen. I don't like the idea of people not being able to use their hard-earned dust while it's totally OK to buy your way to a full collection. Besides, I've hoarded an obscene amount of dust in anticipation of the next expansion already, and this turkey won't vote for Christmas.

• Like 1