Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shantae

(Another) Ret Pala dps help

8 posts in this topic

Dear Forums, 

Long time lurker, first time poster here asking for some advice on raising my dps to a more acceptable bracket because the guild I'm in is starting Heroic HFC and everyone has to do their part. But mostly because the mages in my raid group are crushing the dps charts and my self esteem. 

I'll start by putting the necessary info on the post, here's my character page with the equipment I'm currently using (I don't have mane good trinkets so I don't swap out unending hunger with Rolling Pebble): 

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/player/eu/los_errantes/shantae

And here's my past performances: 

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/guilds/87795

Despite there being some halfway decent results (Tyrant Velhani on the 28th), I'm averaging a %lvl bracket of 30 and 42k dps (on the good days). 

This wouldn't bother me so much if it was not for the fact that currently: 

-I have the 4 piece T18 set bonuses

-The rest of the slots are filled with Mything Dungeon goodness, ranging from 710 to 725. 

-I have a warforged Empty Drinking Horn. 

So I can't blame my low numbers on gear alone anymore, which means that the problem is me. 

The boss guide I have been using has been this one: 

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3657441833

The rotations, talents and glyphs have been copied down to a T, although, to avoid desynching my cd's I always use Final Veredict with Execution Sentence and Avenging Wrath every minute if I feel like the battle is too hectic to keep track of everything.

Another thing about me is that I have no keybindings whatsoever. It's something that I admit but until I know how much time I can save on memorizing my bindings I'm not in any rush to start training. Consider it one of my many flaws.

And now we come to the reason why I'm asking the forums for help: I'm missing something and I have no idea what it is (please don't say "a brain") so I'd like to ask the more seasoned vets to rip me a new one and tell me what should I be working on ASAP. 

Cheerio.  

1. Get more haste. At least enough to do HoW -> CS -> HoW -> TV or FV during AW.

2. Get Archi trinket ASAP

3. Cast ES before AW, not after and try to cast AW at the end of gcd.

4. If using Seraphim use it on cooldown, trying to stack it with ES+AW and the ring.

5. Use Arcane torrent (blood elf racial) before the pull to generate 1 holy power.

6. If fighting more than 1 target use glyph of mass exo and double jeopardy if possible.

7. Never have empty sockets.

8. Place mastery enchantment on your weapon. Shattered hand is an embarrasment.

1 person likes this

1. Get more haste. At least enough to do HoW -> CS -> HoW -> TV or FV during AW.

2. Get Archi trinket ASAP

3. Cast ES before AW, not after and try to cast AW at the end of gcd.

4. If using Seraphim use it on cooldown, trying to stack it with ES+AW and the ring.

5. Use Arcane torrent (blood elf racial) before the pull to generate 1 holy power.

6. If fighting more than 1 target use glyph of mass exo and double jeopardy if possible.

7. Never have empty sockets.

8. Place mastery enchantment on your weapon. Shattered hand is an embarrasment.

1. How much Haste should I get? 10%? 15%? And should I give up matsery or crit?

2. Working on it but there's 4 other paladins, 1 priest and at least 3 warlocks in the raid. That's up to lady luck. I am gunning for Zakkun's trinket as well for max options. 

3. I'm sorry, but what is this gcd? 

4. Aside from weakauras is there any good addon to help me track Seraph cd?

5. Will do, thanks. 

6. I'm very inefficient when it comes to censure cleave. Any addon or macro that may help me with it?

7. It's on my to do list (I try to avoid paying full price in AH for felblight), thanks. 

8. Will do, thanks. 

1. About 10% unbuffed will do, but it's up to you, you can have more, or less, the goal is to maintain the rotation i mentioned above.

2. gcd = GlobalCoolDown. It's a cooldown which starts on all your abilities after using any of them (except some special such as AW o seraph).

3. There are other addons but they do exactly the same. Just track the cd and pool HP to use seraph just when it comes off cd.

4. I'm not speaking about censure multidotting, glyph of mass exo works passively and adds some damage in aoe/cleave fights (putting exo right after CS in priority list) and double jeopardy increases damage of Judgement by 20%. It requires switching so it would be cool to use focus and judge on focus macro and of course you can use TAB switching but it's not that comfortable.

Edited by ForumWarrior
1 person likes this

Hello again forum! 

I have finally got the Libram of Vindication as well as the Discordant Chorus, for the sake of variety. I have steadily improved my overall dps but I'm still being mocked by a couple of smug DK's. My problem is as follows:  

-I'm a ret pally 722 with heroic warforged legplates, 4 tier set bonus, all the Normal trinkets, all the required enchants and I have finally managed to learn my rotations. 

-I keep comparing myself to other Ret paldins on warcraft logs and I'm repeating their same rotation (both of us having 722 ilvl) but they manage to score between 15 and 20k higher dps. 

The variance in my dps goes from mid 50k to 70 depending on the mobility of the boss and the number of mobs.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/guilds/87795

Judging by my rank (mid 30's early 40's) I can do much, much better than what I'm doing right now (the DK's that keep sending me screencaps of the recount are 716 but ranked in the 70's) which is why I'm asking the forums: 

-Should I give up on Templar's Veredict and force myself to include Seraph in my rotation?

-Should I switch critical hit for haste?

-I have been heavily neglecting multistrike so should I actually go Mastery > Multistrike > Haste > Crit?

-What are the optimal secondary stats I should be gunning for on a 725? How much mastery before I reach a soft cap? What are the unbuffed % values that would get me the most dps for my buck?

-Should I "accidentally" throw a hand of protection on the death knights during the bl phase?

-I have read that I need to keybind to "git gud" but I'm not taking a ton of damage and I don't miss my marks to throw ES and AW so, do I really have to learn to play without clicking with a mouse? Are the dps gains so signifficant? That's taking into account I don't play pvp. 

Posted (edited)

Don't look on ratings. They depend on many things, not only one's self perfomance. Even if you look on a guy with the same ilvl as yours if he goes with high ilvl friends and theirs fight duration is much lower than yours his dps will be much higher. Stay with verdict, haste is good but after soft cap you shouldn't go for it, although it may accidently become higher depending on your luck for loot. Crit and MS are very close in value so I prefer crit for it is good for both prot and especially for holy so I gear up my offspec as well as main ret.

Mastery is a dps increase as it is and it doesn't diminish, so it has no caps - the more, the better.

And really start switching seals for aoe.

And to finish I must say that I literally cannot imagine how you play clicking spells with a mouse. It's so unbelievable that I even don't know what to say. But yes, it's lame since I will never believe that you do it so good not to lose dps and your problems prove it. Besides playing like that restricts you from moving and dpsing at the same time which is very bad.

But really i'm shocked.

Edited by ForumWarrior

And to finish I must say that I literally cannot imagine how you play clicking spells with a mouse. It's so unbelievable that I even don't know what to say. But yes, it's lame since I will never believe that you do it so good not to lose dps and your problems prove it. Besides playing like that restricts you from moving and dpsing at the same time which is very bad.

But really i'm shocked.

You'll find it surprisingly easy to play clicking if you glace at the front of the screen every now and then for positioning. By clicking I can easily estimate the gbc of my abilities and how much cd is left on my AW, EH and ring. 

But I have started playing with binds and you can bet my dps has freefallen. I want to blame it on the fact that I don't have a good WeakAuras Setup but it's most likely because I need to git gud. 

I'm currently using A S D for movement. Q W E R for my generators and templars veredict. Shift+1 for hammer of wrath and ctrl + (qwer) for my offensive cd's and potion. F and shift+f for Rebuke and belf racial and C for sucker punching with Fist of Justice. Which leaves alt+q and alt+e for my shields and X and shift X for my "oh s****!" abilities.

In theory, this is solid but in practice I keep missing my marks, messing up the rotation and all around panicking, not knowing what buttons to press or even where to look to get a visual cue on what should I be doing next. This can be solved through a mixture of practice and some good visual add-ons and so far I've only found this guy:

Eurotrash techno aside, It's simple, practical and it doesn't fill the whole screen with useless bars (I keep my resolution low to avoid fps issues) so, is there a better/more practical configuration that I haven't heard about?

Thanks guys, you're really helping me getting my raiding legs with your advice.  

Posted (edited)

I wrote a very huge wall of text, but lost in a very dumb way so i'll just say: use binds, get used to them and you'll become better.

jExBQy.jpg

Bartender for panels. Skill panels hidden and 2 panels are made for tracking under the char (transparend/unclickable).

Nugcombobar for Holy power.

Weakauras of tellmewhen for conditions.

Shadowunitframe for unit frames.

VuhDo is a healing addon, i use for holy spec and my healing alts, but for ret I use if to put hands fast and w/o bindings and target switching.

Tidy Plates for nameplates.

Skada for damage/healing. 

Chat is usually hidden in raid.

p.s. Video is good, the goal is to minimize space used by visual elements of UI but he doesn't track everything that I think is needed. This is a very personal thing. You should make your UI comfortable for you. Follow advices but do not hesitate to alter someones UI for your needs.

Edited by ForumWarrior