demonardvark

Demonardvarks Unholy Breath of Sindragosa Guide 1.1

24 posts in this topic

Finally it's here in beta version 1.0. Guide version 1 will just have the raw information and things listed. Version 2.0 will have appropriate wow head links. The formatting and linking is complex for me so that will take awhile. However we shall have the meat and potatoes available sooner

Index:
I. What is BOS and why do i care
II. Wait, I'm a frost or Blood DK, don't i get to play?
III. What do I need to get started?
IV: What do I need to get good?
V. Alright I got everything what do I do?
VI. Okay cool I got it, what do i do after my BOS burst and what about timmy (zombie)?
VII. The guide is over and I'm not sure how to end it.

So let us begin

I. What is BOS and why do i care
BOS is the abbreviation for spell_deathknight_breathofsindragosa.jpgBreath of Sindragosa a lvl 100 talent for death knights right now in Warlords of Draenor. It originally was a good talent for Blood DK tanks and had a decent place in pvp but for pve was rather overlooked. With the arrival of  the completed legendary ring "Thorasus, The stone heart of draenor" spell_deathknight_breathofsindragosa.jpgBreath of Sindragosa became a power house ability.

Why?

spell_deathknight_breathofsindragosa.jpgBreath of Sindragosa works amazingly well with the legendary ring proc. It is a short bursty attack and shoots out a lot of damage quickly. The legendary ring both amplifies this and then later does damage on its own. This was further empowered by a newer stat, multistrike. Multistrike allows each individual attack chances to hit again. With high enough multistrike spell_deathknight_breathofsindragosa.jpgBreath of Sindragosa hits multiple times in that same window for huge burst damage.

This is why unholy DK's gravitate towards it. With an innate gain from all multistrike sources unholy DK's can build huge amounts of multistrike. Combined with a trinket "Vial of Convulsive Shadows" the multistrike capability of spell_deathknight_breathofsindragosa.jpgBreath of Sindragosa, is very high.  

II. Wait, I'm a frost or Blood DK, don't i get to play?
Short answer no. Frost doesn't have the multistrike capability to use spell_deathknight_breathofsindragosa.jpgBreath of Sindragosa efficiently. Blood DKs can use it but it comes at a slight risk to survival. This guide is only for unholy DKS who can get the most out of it. Now this is ONLY for Warlords of Draenor. Come Legion unholy dks can no longer use spell_deathknight_breathofsindragosa.jpgBreath of Sindragosa. Frost DKS can and with talent set ups very well. However, the damage scaling is no longer known. Without interaction with the ring and multistrike the damage capabilities of frost BOS remain questionable but. thats for the future.

III. What do I need to get started?
To get started you need multistrike. The start point is a minimum of 30% mulitstrike unbuffed. At 30% MS as unholy dk if you can keep spell_deathknight_breathofsindragosa.jpgBreath of Sindragosaup for 7 seconds (easily done by face smashing keyboard) you will do more damage then Necrotic plague and Defile. Depending upon gear you should start to get close mid to late normal hell fire citadel early heroic.

Next you need Thorasus the legendary ring. This is what makes BOS work. The synergy between the Burst of spell_deathknight_breathofsindragosa.jpgBreath of Sindragosa during the ring proc, and the post proc explosion is basically why BOS works. The legendary ring is mandatory for  spell_deathknight_breathofsindragosa.jpgBreath of Sindragosa usage. 

Also talent selection is key. For your tier 1 talent you want plague leech. It eats your diseases and gives you 2 free runes. Your lvl 100 talent of course will be Breath of Sindragosa (if i had to explain this get out now, you are beyond hope). Now for your rune regen talent that is questionable. The optimal use talent is blood tap. That however, requires micro management. BOS is about getting a lot done in a short amount of time. It can be stressful trying to manage another thing. In this case runic corruption can be used. It's not as good but a tolerable sub if you can't use blood tap.

your other talents don't matter much. Deaths advance could be a good choice just to get to boss faster. also death pact costs no resources and we have none to spare. 

IV: What do I need to get good?
For expert BOS usage there are very specific requirements. You will need.

1. inv_misc_trinket6oih_horn1.jpgVial of Convulsive Shadows Mythic
2. spell_deathknight_gnaw_ghoul.jpgUnending Hunger Mythic

These are the tools to makespell_deathknight_breathofsindragosa.jpgBreath of Sindragosa work. inv_misc_trinket6oih_horn1.jpgVial of Convulsive Shadows is an on use trinket that grants a large amount of multistrike which powers  spell_deathknight_breathofsindragosa.jpgBreath of Sindragosa and its damage. spell_deathknight_gnaw_ghoul.jpgUnending Hunger raises your strength which of course increases damage.

Now, I hear you saying "what if I don't have those trinkets?"

This is really okay. The main thing you need is the legendary ring. Most trinket set ups work fine. It just vial is stronger. So,

There are tolerable subs. You can always use Heroic VoCS and unending hunger (even normal). Also from blackrock foundary the forgemasters insignia grats multistrike. However, it is a proc not a use. So, your BOS burst will fluctuate greatly depending on procs. You can also just use trinkets that give a large amount of MS. Really any trinket comp will work.

These are however, poor subs for the true requirements. Again, at 30% MS BOS is superior but to get the most out of it you do need the proper trinkets.

V. Alright I got everything what do I do?

So the spell_deathknight_breathofsindragosa.jpgBreath of Sindragosa rotation is tricky at first. Also depending on if you have the proper trinkets it can also fluctuate a bit. However, the start up rotation is the same. This is the Pre BOS rotation. It is iron. It is life. Learn it and love it.

Before pull. Pre Pot with Draenic Strength Potion

At Pull:
1: Cast spell_deathvortex.jpgOutbreak
2. Cast inv_sword_61.jpgFestering Strike
3. Cast spell_deathknight_scourgestrike.jpgScourge Strike
4: Cast inv_sword_61.jpgFestering Strike
5: Cast spell_deathknight_scourgestrike.jpgScourge Strike
6: Cast ability_creature_disease_02.jpgPlague Leech
7: Cast spell_deathknight_empowerruneblade.jpgPlague Strike

This is the backbone of BOS. This will grant you both a good starter pool of runic power for BOS and you will have most of your runes available for usage. They should all be recharged if done properly. Now that we have Rune power what's next?

spell_deathknight_breathofsindragosa.jpgBreath of Sindragosa Time:
Use Vial of convulsive shadows ( if applicable) and racials  (ex. berserking)
Cast Summon Gargoyle (he isn't necessary but now's the best time to use him, macro in with vial)
Use Thorasus (if applicable)
Cast spell_deathknight_breathofsindragosa.jpgBreath of Sindragosa

Now, the legendary ring is key to BOS's damage. In the ideal world you would be in charge of the ring. This may not be the case. It is very possible the ring will be popped at the start of the fight. In this case hammer out the starter rotation as fast as possible to maximize the time BOS can be up at the same time of the ring. So, now that BOS is going how do we keep it up?

How to keep up BOS:
faceroll_zpsb39e434a.gif

More robust how to keep up spell_deathknight_breathofsindragosa.jpgBreath of Sindragosa:
To maintain spell_deathknight_breathofsindragosa.jpgBreath of Sindragosa there are a few guildines to maintain runic power. The big question is what to spend death runes on. Of course blood and frost are used on festering strike and unholy are used on scourge strike. How to spend death runes?

In general
if runic power >50 use death runes on spell_deathknight_scourgestrike.jpgScourge Strike
if runic power <50 use death runes on inv_sword_61.jpgFestering Strike

when running low on runes:
use plague leech
use blood tap

Emergency: I'm out of runes and runic power
Use empowered runic weapon.if recharges all your runes and gives you a nice bit of runic power.

Expert keeping up spell_deathknight_breathofsindragosa.jpgBreath of Sindragosa:
Anti magic shield converts magic damage into runic power for you. Running head first into an attack will completely refill runic power. Such things as Tyrants annihilating strike can be completely absorbed. Proper AMS usage can greatly extend the life of your spell_deathknight_breathofsindragosa.jpgBreath of Sindragosa. Also if there is ground damage pop your AMS and stand in the fire. Basically if your raid leader would yell at you for standing in it or getting hit by it, you can probably AMS, take it to the face, and get mad runic power. Disregard raid lead, acquire runic power.

*note for future update, i may list each boss in HFC and what abilities you can AMS*

So to keep up spell_deathknight_breathofsindragosa.jpgBreath of Sindragosa
use spell_deathknight_scourgestrike.jpgScourge Strike and inv_sword_61.jpgFestering Strike  appropriately
use rune regen talents or abilities
use AMS
face smash keyboard.

VI. Okay cool I got it, what do i do after my BOS burst and what about timmy (zombie)?
Timmy is not a huge concern. However, with 4 piece Tier 18 he can help do some damage. So spell_deathknight_breathofsindragosa.jpgBreath of Sindragosa will eventually trigger dark transformation. When you see it glowing on your action bar, smack it. Otherwise timmy will do his thing.

The rest of the time after burst. You just follow basic rotation.
Keep up diseases
inv_sword_61.jpgFestering Strike with blood and frost runes
spell_deathknight_scourgestrike.jpgScourge Strike with unholy and death
soul reaper when appropriate
Death coil to dump runic power and power up timmy.

You will want to start pooling runic power once you have about 17 seconds remaining on the cooldown of spell_deathknight_breathofsindragosa.jpgBreath of Sindragosa. This means no more casting Death Coil. Your first spell_deathknight_breathofsindragosa.jpgBreath of Sindragosa will be the strongest. Your second and potentially third in a fight will be much weaker due to the lack of empowered runic weapon. However, they should still be strong. 

VII. The guide is over and I'm not sure how to end it.
so that is the proto guide for spell_deathknight_breathofsindragosa.jpgBreath of Sindragosa. Again later I will do proper formatting and cleaning up. Please post any comments or questions below. I wrote this up rather quickly and didn't proof read much. thanks for reading it, and I will update and improve it as time goes by and people find errors or i see new things the guide didn't cover. uhh bye bye

Change log:
3/4/16: Couple of small corrections. Attempted to input links for items (it went bad).

Didn't know much about the BoS build or how it works, now i do. Ty for the guide, it's useful!

1 person likes this

Thanks for taking the time to make this guide and for making it simple to read and understand. 

1 person likes this

I think a good way to make sure you're making good use of blood tap is to just macro it into death coil, scourge strike, and festering strike.  Makes it easier for me since we use those abilities all the time during BoS.

I think a good way to make sure you're making good use of blood tap is to just macro it into death coil, scourge strike, and festering strike.  Makes it easier for me since we use those abilities all the time during BoS.

good idea, will help with face rolling on keyboard, will add to update 0.1 and include name in reference biggrin.png

*edit*

been thinking about it and that would actually be a maybe. it could mess up your opening phase by prematurely activating blood tap and messing with rune regeneration and flow. certainly good on death coil though since you would only be using it on free procs.

Should i wait with going for BoS until i have the legendary ring (at the 710 atm)?

Should i wait with going for BoS until i have the legendary ring (at the 710 atm)?

There is no reason why you can't start practicing the rotation now and getting everything down pat. However, you won't see the full power of BOS until you have the ring. It's the ring interaction that makes it so powerful.

good idea, will help with face rolling on keyboard, will add to update 0.1 and include name in reference biggrin.png

*edit*

been thinking about it and that would actually be a maybe. it could mess up your opening phase by prematurely activating blood tap and messing with rune regeneration and flow. certainly good on death coil though since you would only be using it on free procs.

It will mess up your rotation even when macroing it to death coil as it will desync your runes resulting in a reduced amount of scourge strikes, lowering your total damage. Generally you only want to use blood tap when it will activate an inactive rune that is set to regen as a frost or blood rune.

This video explains it well (albeit it's a bit long): 

1 person likes this

Hey there, I'm ready to make the switch to BoS as a 722 ilvl with the ring. My major concern is my trinkets. I don't have UeH yet and wont ever get VoCS. So right now I have Skull of War Discordant Chorus Gronntooth War Horn  and a HEROIC RUMBLING PEBBLE which I can't seem to link...

My initial thought was the DC and RP for the massive strength and the ability to get multistrike from the socket on the DC and the innate stats on the RP. I then read that the Skull of War is great with BoS cause the CD's can line up, however, in my experience they generally do not after maybe the first one. 

So which do I use? I obviously will use the War Horn on any demon fights, but what do I pair with it? And which 2 should I use outside of demon fights? I will HOPEFULLY eventually get the Unending Hunger and Empty Drinking Horn. At the Point I'm assuming its EDH and UeH for non-demons and War horn and UeH for demons yeah?

Thanks for any help in advance, my trinkets have been a disaster for both specs this entire tier :(

Hey there, I'm ready to make the switch to BoS as a 722 ilvl with the ring. My major concern is my trinkets. I don't have UeH yet and wont ever get VoCS. So right now I have Skull of War Discordant Chorus Gronntooth War Horn  and a HEROIC RUMBLING PEBBLE which I can't seem to link...

My initial thought was the DC and RP for the massive strength and the ability to get multistrike from the socket on the DC and the innate stats on the RP. I then read that the Skull of War is great with BoS cause the CD's can line up, however, in my experience they generally do not after maybe the first one. 

So which do I use? I obviously will use the War Horn on any demon fights, but what do I pair with it? And which 2 should I use outside of demon fights? I will HOPEFULLY eventually get the Unending Hunger and Empty Drinking Horn. At the Point I'm assuming its EDH and UeH for non-demons and War horn and UeH for demons yeah?

Thanks for any help in advance, my trinkets have been a disaster for both specs this entire tier sad.png

The key for BOS is really the ring. You can do BOS with almost any trinket its just vial is the "best". So for now, your rumbling pebble is actually one of your best bets. Your skull of war is probably what you want to pair rumbling pebble with if you can upgrade it to lvl 6. If not use chorus on everything but demons. 

Once you get all your trinkets:

Demon: Grontooth and unending hunger

non demon: skull of war lvl 6 and unending hunger, or unending hunger and empty drinking horn. 

however, running BOS I really suggest vial. It's actually really easy to get. Just put together a heroic mog run from BRF and have it reserved for yourself. Even getting your guild to help you, you only need to kill 3 bosses in BRF to potentially get it. 

Posted (edited)

Thank you so much for the reply! I didn't realize even just a heroic Vial would be good enough, thought I'd need mythic or something...

Last question, if you don't mind, if at any point the ring usage is delayed on the 2nd or 3rd use (since I'm not the one who uses it in our group), do I delay BoS to be used with the ring? I know the simple answer is probably "Yes, unless it stops you from using BoS another time" but maybe in this case the synergy is strong it's worth using say 2 BoS's with the ring instead of 1 with and 2 without? If that makes any sense lol

Also, since those links didn't seem to work, my Discordant Chorus is Heroic AND socketed and my Skull of War is 6/6 double upgraded to 725, just in case that changes anything about your previous answer, thanks again for your help!

Edited by Agandaur

Thank you so much for the reply! I didn't realize even just a heroic Vial would be good enough, thought I'd need mythic or something...

Last question, if you don't mind, if at any point the ring usage is delayed on the 2nd or 3rd use (since I'm not the one who uses it in our group), do I delay BoS to be used with the ring? I know the simple answer is probably "Yes, unless it stops you from using BoS another time" but maybe in this case the synergy is strong it's worth using say 2 BoS's with the ring instead of 1 with and 2 without? If that makes any sense lol

Also, since those links didn't seem to work, my Discordant Chorus is Heroic AND socketed and my Skull of War is 6/6 double upgraded to 725, just in case that changes anything about your previous answer, thanks again for your help!

oh yeah def go with your skull of war then, at 6/6 upgrades its great for unholy. Your DC isn't bad at all, gem it for multistrike, but EDH and more ideally a high tier EOH would be better (but for now your DC will work great).

As far as BOS and group usage and that. You do sorta need to coordinate with you group. You want BOS to be used with the ring period. So, I'd just ask the ring popper to give a heads up. So everyone pretty much uses deadly boss mods so you can see when boss is going to phase or use ability blah blah. Just ask ring popper to say (10 seconds till I ring) or what have you to help coordinate that better. Its just not beneficial to build up resources for ring and kinda stand there waiting until ring pops because you don't wanna lose em. Or if they are an arse as you run with your group you will learn when they pop the ring. My group literally always pops ring at same time, so I don't need to think about it to hard.

1 person likes this

Hey! Sitting on a Mythic Fel-Burning Blade and am about to go for BoS. Now, is the heroic version of Hellrender better then the the mythic Fel-Burning Blade?

Hey! Sitting on a Mythic Fel-Burning Blade and am about to go for BoS. Now, is the heroic version of Hellrender better then the the mythic Fel-Burning Blade?

A great question. As far as gear heirarchy goes for unholy dk hell render is better then fel burning blade but of course we have the heroic mythic difference and 5 ilvls. Even with the 5 ilvl difference I'm leaning more towards the hell render due to its multistrike. It gives almost a 5% increase to multistrike vs fel burning giving none. The additional strength of fel burning looks better up front but we are talking 18 more strength vs 308 multistrike. The huge multistrike increase will play out as a much better dps increase with all dem BOS multistrikes. 

so hellrender because of mulitstrike smile.png

Which is better for BoS - a Mythic Warforged Unending Hunger or a Mythic gemmed Unending Hunger? I can't quite work out whether or not it's better to stack more MS with the gem socket or have a greater gain from the strength proc.

Which is better for BoS - a Mythic Warforged Unending Hunger or a Mythic gemmed Unending Hunger? I can't quite work out whether or not it's better to stack more MS with the gem socket or have a greater gain from the strength proc.

strength is always the top priority. value of multistrike depends on how much you have in a sense. going from say 66 to 67% multistrike isn't a huge deal. jumping from 66-71% a little bit more. 

honestly between the two things you listed, its really bloody close XD we have an overall difference of 5 strength per proc, and with an immaculate multistrike taladite gemmed in we are seeing a fractional increase in multistrike increase. so the difference would have to be simmed out, i'd say for now go for the warforged for the greater proc strength because the multistrike gain is so tiny. 

Great guide demonardvark,

I have a question, atm im runing UH Necroblight with 720 item lvl i have heroic warforge rumbling pebble and heroic unending hunger trinkets with mythic fel burning blade from council.

You recomend me to use BOS as my main build or continue as NP playstyle? My dps in mythic is like 65k-70k (as NP playstyle) and i want to improve.

What you recomend me?

I was wondering if there was a weak aura string out there that anyone knows of that works like the UH rotation helper that is linked on these forums that workes with BoS instead of the necroblight play style?

Great guide demonardvark,

I have a question, atm im runing UH Necroblight with 720 item lvl i have heroic warforge rumbling pebble and heroic unending hunger trinkets with mythic fel burning blade from council.

You recomend me to use BOS as my main build or continue as NP playstyle? My dps in mythic is like 65k-70k (as NP playstyle) and i want to improve.

What you recomend me?

first off, i am really heavily medicated right now, so if i repeat myself or am slightly incoherent i apologize.

the big question is what is your unbuffed multstrike right now? i would guess at 720 you are more then likely above the 30% unbuffed min required. at this point all sources say you should move to unholy bos. if you can keep up your bos for more than 7 seconds during a fight (spoiler with empowered runic weapon, this is all but guaranteed even with face smashing) you will do more damage then necrotic plague. now counters to this say the only reason you see such huge burst numbers with bos is because mythic fights are being cleared in 45 seconds and this is true. the quicker the boss dies the better your dps looks (ie the parsing is lies). However mythic archi world fast time is about 5 ish minutes and when they compared np to BOS, bos still won by a long shot.

so if 30% ms definetely start using bos. just be prepared to potentially see not huge numbers if your raid team takes awhile to kill bosses. you will do lets say 150-200k burst damage at pull, but then as fight goes on that plummets rapidly. if boss dies in under a minute, oh hey you did 110k great, if it takes 2 minutes, you may see the same deeps as necrotic plague. bos is a bit finicky and at first you may actually think you are doing less deeps with it. however, in the burst everything down phase that progression eventually always hits it is better then np hands down.

tldr, yes bos, and keep practicing it and don't be discouraged by what may appear to be, lower initial numbers.

hope that was clear XD

I was wondering if there was a weak aura string out there that anyone knows of that works like the UH rotation helper that is linked on these forums that workes with BoS instead of the necroblight play style?

there are, if you just type bos weak aura into google you can actually find a few youtube videos that have them. I am not linking them here because I have not personally tested them out and cannot vouch for them. 

1 person likes this

For all interested information used to construct this guide was acquired from countless sources and with the help of many people. Many over at mmo champion and noxxic had input as well as some help from skull flowers guide as well. will soon add a works cited section, to list all of the various sources and logs represented in this guide. 

Hello everybody,

I'm not really new on icy veins but this is actually my first time writing in the forum.

I'm also a bit shy :D

But let's get to the point.

My dk has recently changed to unholy spec, coming from the boring (imho) frost dw playstyle.

I find unholy spec really entertaining as it is not a spam-and-click-and-press-everything-that-glows way of playing, and this is probably why i'd like to go deeper with it, getting used to BoS.

I am an old time player (wotlk rules !) but I have quit the game for quite a lot of time, and I started playing again last December after jumping the whole pandaria expansion.

Actually, i managed to get my hand on the legendary ring, and I'm slowly upgranding it (did it 3 times if I remember well). I'm trying to find someone who helps me doing AT LEAST brf Heroic for the Vial trinket.

I'm item level 712/715, and here comes the main reason why I'm writing here.

It's the pieces bonus essential in BoS playstyle ? I'm asking it because, as for now, i got 4 normal tier pieces equipped and @26% multistrike. But I have some heroic (from some hfc pug or weekly quest)/Mythic warforged (from Mythics DUNGEONS) items in my bag, that would eventually rise up my multistrike above 30% and my item level as well, with a strenght increment too.

What should I do ? Should i continue playing Necro with 4 pieces on and wait till I gear up better or can I forget my normal tier (at least until i get my hands on the heroic one) and switching to those new items that would let me go for the BoS build ?

If it can help in your answer, i have got the 6/6 725 inscription crafted trinket (can't remember the name, the war thing :D) and empty drinking horn (heroic). When I was frost, I used to use the 6/6 725 alchemist crafted item (stone of elements or something like that, i really can't remember a single name D:), but i don't think it's better than the other two I have as a unholy.

Sorry for the long message and I hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you in advice (:

Hello everybody,

I'm not really new on icy veins but this is actually my first time writing in the forum.

I'm also a bit shy biggrin.png

But let's get to the point.

My dk has recently changed to unholy spec, coming from the boring (imho) frost dw playstyle.

I find unholy spec really entertaining as it is not a spam-and-click-and-press-everything-that-glows way of playing, and this is probably why i'd like to go deeper with it, getting used to BoS.

I am an old time player (wotlk rules !) but I have quit the game for quite a lot of time, and I started playing again last December after jumping the whole pandaria expansion.

Actually, i managed to get my hand on the legendary ring, and I'm slowly upgranding it (did it 3 times if I remember well). I'm trying to find someone who helps me doing AT LEAST brf Heroic for the Vial trinket.

I'm item level 712/715, and here comes the main reason why I'm writing here.

It's the pieces bonus essential in BoS playstyle ? I'm asking it because, as for now, i got 4 normal tier pieces equipped and @26% multistrike. But I have some heroic (from some hfc pug or weekly quest)/Mythic warforged (from Mythics DUNGEONS) items in my bag, that would eventually rise up my multistrike above 30% and my item level as well, with a strenght increment too.

What should I do ? Should i continue playing Necro with 4 pieces on and wait till I gear up better or can I forget my normal tier (at least until i get my hands on the heroic one) and switching to those new items that would let me go for the BoS build ?

If it can help in your answer, i have got the 6/6 725 inscription crafted trinket (can't remember the name, the war thing biggrin.png) and empty drinking horn (heroic). When I was frost, I used to use the 6/6 725 alchemist crafted item (stone of elements or something like that, i really can't remember a single name D:), but i don't think it's better than the other two I have as a unholy.

Sorry for the long message and I hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you in advice (:

The tier set is not required to use BOS. In fact, if you can't pre soak on the boss it may not necessarily behoove one to worry about timmy while you are rocking your bos burst. Also, at higher gear levels, many if not most dks will break tier because there are pieces that give sooooo much more multistrike that it overpowers the slight boost tier gives us. so if you have ring and 30% multistrike (after breaking tier) then you can go ahead and jump into BOS.