Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sepums

Is Naxxramas still worth buying?

13 posts in this topic

Sorry for such a bad first post.

I am a fairly mediocre player who hasn't bought any adventures yet but is eager to, and while I see that loe might be the adventure most worth purchasing for now, I am still interested in buying naxx and brm.

The thing is, with the new way to play coming to hearthstone, seeing that naxx cards will become craftable (correct me if I'm wrong?) I don't exactly need to buy naxx to get the good cards that I want it for.

So, is it worth buying naxxramas for the experience of the adventure, and not having to grind dust for the cards? or should I just ignore naxx (in addition to gvg) and just stick to standard when it comes out?

I feel okay since I haven't spent any money on the game so far and I know that I can simply ignore wild and stick to standard, but wild seems more fun at the moment with all the decks that I have seen but never was able to play because I didn't buy any adventures.

As many people have already stated, we will still need to collect various cards from current and later expansions for standard, and cards from current adventures/expansions will become obsolete as time goes, so I just don't know how I'm supposed to deal with this.

I don't understand the direction with the new way to play, it doesn't make much sense to me.

Well, Naxxramas cost 3500 Gold or 25$ and you will be able to disenchant it for 3140 dust.

If you buy it for money, it's better dust/$ than you would get from buying packs, so I'd buy it just for the dust. The adventure and any cards you might want to keep are just bonus. (Of course, if you buy packs, you would not disenchant all the cards, so it's not a 100% fair comparison.)

If you buy it for gold, you'd get slightly more dust from buying packs (on average, it's about 1 dust per gold), so it's less obvious which choice is better.

Personally, I liked the PvE adventure, but everyone is different, so I don't know whether you'd think it's worth it. There are also a lot of great cards in it that would be expensive to craft - e.g. Loatheb. If you are interested in Wild at all, you probably want to buy the adventure now, as it'll be cheaper than getting the dust to craft these cards.

If you are only interested in Standard and planing on buying adventures with gold, skip Naxx.

1 person likes this

Honestly it depends on your current collection, whether you will play wild or standard. Naxx is really important for the decks out there right now, (and presumably in wild) but once formats roll in it will be obsolete in Standard. If you don't already have a decent collection you will be spending a lot of resources and end up playing catchup in wild. While Standard will be featuring cards from BRM (dragons and thaurassan and possibly even patrons) and LOE (reno, tunnel trogg), you probably wont be as far behind as you would be in wild without naxx. If you plan on spending gold for naxx, classic packs may be a better choice (unless you already have a big classic collection). If later you want to play a particular deck in wild you would be better off crafting those specific cards. More than half the cards in most decks are (as of now) made out of the core set (basic +Classic). The cards which are most used currently are Sludge belcher, loatheb, zombie chow and haunted creeper, with shade of naxx, death's bite, Sometimes kel'thuzzad and [Naxx priest card] used by specific classes. IF you can give an idea of how big your collection is from each set, we could have a better idea.

Edit: It might be worth mentioning that naxx was a really creative and fun adventure to play. Whether you factor that in or not is up to you.  

Edited by Valkyr

Well then I suppose I'll skip naxx and just stick to standard mode, completely ignoring wild.

The last reason I want to play naxx for is the adventure itself, with all the "humor" and stuff, but meh.

I could skip brm as well and just buy loe since brm will become obsolete in a year or so.

In that case, should I also start disenchanting all my GvG cards before they get their dust cost reduced? (as we presume?)

Edited by Sepums

Yes, ignoring Naxx and GvG is probably the best option now. LoE offers high value and so does BrM. Still, the strongest set are classic cards. Wild is gong to "die out" anyway. However, BrM and LoE will become obsolete at the same time, so don't take into account that BrM is older.

The cost of crafting and the "reward" for disenchanting GvG should stay the same. No need to start disenchanting now.

Sorry I just want a clearer look at this.

How will BrM and LoE become obsolete at the same time? Wasn't LoE released a year later? Pardon me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, can you also confirm that the reward for disenchanting GvG is going to stay the same? You said "should" which is only a probability.

Sorry if I sound like a dick.

Sorry I just want a clearer look at this.

How will BrM and LoE become obsolete at the same time? Wasn't LoE released a year later? Pardon me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, can you also confirm that the reward for disenchanting GvG is going to stay the same? You said "should" which is only a probability.

Sorry if I sound like a dick.

Yes, LoE was released after a time period of almost one year, but they were released in the same calendar year of 2015, which is what matters (according to current information "You’ll play Standard using a deck built solely from a pool of cards that were released in the current and previous calendar year, along with a core foundation of the Basic and Classic card sets"). 

I can't find any source to support my statement that GvG will be disenchantable for the price usual cards will be disenchanted. I derived it from the statement that the cards won't be disenchantable for the full crafting price and from the information/values at HearthPwn Innkeeper. I have found information only for Adventures.

Do not worry, as long as you are polite (which you are), I am happy to (try to) help you :)

I would get both adventures! Yes, the Naxxramas cards will rotate soon, but adventures are fun to play on their own. I remember the challenge of defeating Heroic Frost Wyrm Lair. Don't forget that some of the coolest card backs come from the adventures!

Although they are fun to play, they are currently not worth buying for their value, and since a lot of players are F2P, spending 3500 gold on something that will be gone in a few months is not really an option if they want to have better decks.

2 people like this

Although they are fun to play, they are currently not worth buying for their value, and since a lot of players are F2P, spending 3500 gold on something that will be gone in a few months is not really an option if they want to have better decks.

I suppose so

Pretty sure you would get the same amount of dust you get from disenchanting GvG post update as you do now. People wanted Blizzard to give them full dust (i.e dust required to craft) from Disenchanting, but blizzard has refused. I did not realize BRM and LOE were same year... So when the new expansion rolls out in 2017 we lose TgT LoE and BRM... Damn. TgT really failed to capture the community...

Tgt was pretty meh, I'm not going to miss it at all compared to gvg.

The only cards I'm going to miss are probably Confessor and Gormok, Mukla's champion, and Mogor's champion because he never got a trophy.

Gvg filled many gaps in many classes and introduced so much. (goodbye darkbomb, implosion, malganis, lightbomb, velen's chosen, glaivezooka, snowchugger, crackle, bouncing blade, mech bear cat, tinkmaster's oil, and others I can't remember off the top of my head right now.)

I'm definitely going to miss all Warlock cards from GvG, especially Mal'ganis. In the same vein, I will miss dreadsteed from TgT. I love dreadsteed riverdare mal'ghanis shenanigans. Hopefully it will be viable one day in wild!