FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

Throne of Thunder Hunter Style

This thread is meant to collect useful pieces of information for Beast Mastery, Marksmanship, and Survival Hunters attempting bosses in the Throne of Thunder. We will add some contributions ourselves and hope that the rest will come from comments in this thread Posted Image

Table of Contents

Jin'rokh the Breaker

Useful talents:Useful glyphs:Tips and Tricks:
  • ability_rogue_feint.jpgDisengage away from Focused Lightning's explosion to get back to the Conductive Waters fast.
  • Use ability_whirlwind.jpgDeterrence when the Focused Lightning orb is about to catch up with you.
Links:

Horridon

Useful talents:Useful glyphs:Tips and Tricks:Links:

Council of Elders

Useful talents:Useful glyphs:Tips and Tricks:Links:

Tortos

Useful talents: share your thoughts!

Useful glyphs: share your thoughts!

Tips and Tricks: share your thoughts!

Links:

Megaera

Links:

Ji-Kun

Links:

Durumu the Forgotten

Links:

Primordius

Links:

Dark Animus

Links:

Iron Qon

Links:

Twin Consorts

Links:

Lei Shen

Links:

Changelog

• 14 Mar. 2013: Added tips for Jin'rokh, Horridon, and Council of Elders. Thanks to Fugazor from the guild MCO on EU-Shadowsong for providing them.

Here is my contribution to this post.

From my experience in raid :

- BM is the most powerful spec for single target fights. It is also the easiest spec to master.

- SV is slighty under BM on single target fights but a lot better on multi target fights.

- MM is the most difficult spec to play and I see no incentive to play it over BM or SV, as BM will be better on single target and SV on multi target every time.

If you want to play one spec, play SV.

If you want to play only BM or MM, you can, but you will lose less or more DPS depending of the fights.

Recommanded talents :

Tier 1 : Crouching Tiger, Hidden Chimera

Deterrence is an amazing defensive cooldown ability and halving its cooldown halved is just a must.

Tier 2 : Silencing Shot

Easy to use and very effective.

There may be fights when you need to switch to other talents.

Tier 3 : Aspect of the Iron Hawk

15 % damage reduction is mandatory.

The case where other talents may be better are purely theoricals.

Tier 4 : Dire Beast / Thrill of the Hunt

If you follow the recommandations, take Dire Beast when you go BM and Thrill of the Hunt when you go SV.

Dire Beast provides more DPS on single target fights, but Thrill of the Hunt outperforms it by a huge margin in AoE fights.

Tier 5 : A Murder of Crows

Best DPS talent. There may be exceptions.

Tier 6 : Glaive Toss / Barrage

As for Tier 4, Glaive Toss is a single target and Barrage a Multi Target ability.

Take Glaive Toss when BM is recommanded and Barrage when SV is recommanded.

Tips for boss from ToT :

Jin'rokh : Clearly a BM fight.

Use all cooldown while in a pool.

Deterrence is amazing to avoid being hit by Focused Lightning on normal mode.

On heroic mode, Deterrence is even more amazing, as it allows you to completely negate the Ionization buff.

Just look at your DBM. When Ionization is about to be cast stop using Cobra Shot. Ionization has a 1 second cast. When you see the cast bar, activate Deterrence. You need to be very quick. If you are unsure, use it when DBM tells you there is only 1 second left on the cooldown.

You should then deflect Ionization and you can cancel Deterrence.

If you fail but still have Deterrence, you can use it when your Ionization is about to fade, it will prevent the damage.

Horridon : Clearly a SV fight.

Use standard talents. MoC is to be used on the second spawn of the bigger adds, when there are two of them at the same time.

I think Lynx Rush is a waste, as most of the targets it will hit will die before 15 seconds.

Besides if you need to use Widow Venom to prevent the boss from being healed, then there is really a problem. Dino should fall fast enough so that he casts only once his heal, and you can interrupt him with Silencing Shot.

Council of Elders : You should go BM for this fight.

If it is a multi-target fight, it is even closer to a DPS race. The goal is to get rid of Sul very fast, then the fight is just so easy that DPS does not even matter.

BM will provide more DPS on single target, and will allow you to DPS Kazra'jin without dying as doing most damage with your pet protects you against the reflect damage.

You can use Binding Arrow on this fight to control the spirit, it will be better than Silencing Shot.

Tortos : Clearly a SV fight

SV will allow you to dot every turtle and provide you very high DPS on bats.

Megaera : Clearly a BM fight

Deterrence can allow you to avoid damage during Rage or to dodge a green AoE. Do not hesistate to use it if you feel your healers are overwhelmed.

Small tips to increase your DPS :

- Don't use your cooldowns when one head is about to die, especially Focus Fire.

- During the times between phases you can use Focus Fire and throw a Fire Trap at the next head's location.

Ji-kun : Clearly a SV fight

You can stand in a green pool and use Deterrence, it will allow you to absorb the pool without taking any damage.

Disengage with a Glyph will allow you to stay on the plateform during Ji-kun spell if you are pushed too close to the edge.

Durumu : Clearly a BM fight

Primordius : Clearly a SV fight

Dark Animus : Clearly a BM fight

Use Glyphed Deterrence to mitigate damage for the big lightning AoE.

Twin Consorts : Clearly a BM fight

Lei Shen : BM or SV, your choice

There isn't a lot of Aoe to do for this fight, but if you feel your raid is lacking AoE damage you can go SV for phase 2.

Deterrence is key to this fight, and will allow you to take a Static Shock alone, negating up to 1 200 000 damage on a transition phase.

Do not hesitate to use Misdirection to redirect adds on tanks in transition phases if you don't plan to kill them right away.

Binding Arrow can be used to stun adds.

Ultoraison

http://www.wow-heroe...dre/ultoraison/

Edited by Ultoraison

Hi guys,

We downed Tortos last night and I noticed that some talents are more usefull than others.

As Fatboss video recomended, put slow trap infront to slow down turtles.

Thrill of the hunt is verry good here as it allowes you to multishot cheaper.

I also took Barrage as it pulls loads of dps if you position yourself correctly.

Binding shoot is verry usefull on vapire bats. I pop it on the tank and tell him to move. Once the bats are away from the arrow they get stunned for a good amount of time. This helps the healers a great deal since they have to spam heal the tank cos of vampires abilities.

Cheers

Some more tips for Council of Elders - keeping a Frost Trap in front of Mar'li at all times really helps slow the Blessed/Shadowed Loa Spirits. Master's Call will save you from a gruesome death should you get trapped in quicksand.

For Ji-kun

As a hunter you will be mainly on nests duty. Be sure to time using your feathers when "feed young" is cast and intercept them in order to fully benefit from primal nutriment.

Barrage is very strong talent here to burst the eggs, and i recommend Fervor for even more burst. Thrill of the hunt may be ureliable and might not proc when you want it.

I have noticed a bug when the pet would not spawn after you land in the platfrom, make sure to manually call it if it happens.

When getting down from upper nests make sure to Disengage at the last moment to negate fall damage.

Edited by kerbbeross

Some more tips for Council of Elders - keeping a Frost Trap in front of Mar'li at all times really helps slow the Blessed/Shadowed Loa Spirits. Master's Call will save you from a gruesome death should you get trapped in quicksand.

You should use stun / death grip on spirits and kill them within 5 seconds.

A slow isn't really needed here.

For Ji-kun

As a hunter you will be mainly on nests duty. Be sure to time using your feathers when "feed young" is cast and intercept them in order to fully benefit from primal nutriment.

Barrage is very strong talent here to burst the eggs, and i recommend Fervor for even more burst. Thrill of the hunt may be ureliable and might not proc when you want it.

I have noticed a bug when the pet would not spawn after you land in the platfrom, make sure to manually call it if it happens.

When getting down from upper nests make sure to Disengage at the last moment to negate fall damage.

You are right about this.

Your pet will correctly follow you when you go into the nests.

However if you try to fly to get the nutriment it will despawn everytime.

Wise use of nutriments and good timing can really get you high dps (180k in 510 gear).

Edited by Ultoraison

For Tortos:

Recomended talents: Fervor, Barrage,

Each time the turtles come use a multishot to have serpent sting running on each.

For the bats the usual priority is: MD on the bat tank, Multishot to apply SS, Explosive trap if on CD, Barrage (at this point you will be near 0 fous, Fervor, Multishot as much as you can.

I personally keep my pet 100% on the boss as running from one turtle to the other when i dot them wont help with the pet dps.With this tactic i am doing 190-200k dps at 514 ilvl.

DPS does not show at all if you are doing well. If you are alone on the bats, sure you can do something like 300k dps.

However as a hunter you should focus on turtles.

I don't think keeping the pet on the boss is a good idea.

First turtles should be slowed so he should be able to attack most of the time.

Then DPS on turtle is much more important than DPS on boss.

Hi guys,

All Survival Hunter here 12/12 normal 1/13 heroic. It's not worth the gold and time for me to reforge between specs between encounters. I use many of the strategies above with a few suggestions of my own. Many of these are very small points.

Jin'rokh the Breaker

• Wait until the ball spawns and starts moving before disengaging. If you disengage immediately, you will jump out of range of the boss and have to wait for the ball.
  • (Heroic) Use crouching tiger, hidden chimera and deterence RIGHT BEFORE ionization. Use rapid fire as the fight begins since it's best not stacked with lust/TW/heroism

Horridon

• Unless your pet has a buff that the raid needs, a gorilla pet provides an extra interrupt every 24 seconds. This can be crucial.

Council of Elders

• As stated above, use master's call if quick-sanded and I find intimidation more useful than silencing shot.

Tortos

• Barrage is great for the encounter, but don't use it on the bat trash before the boss as IT WILL HIT THE BOSS. This starts as confusing, but gets obnoxious very quickly.
  • As stated above, misdirect, multishot, and barrage the bats after the turtles which are prioritized are down.
  • Use the frost trap and multishot to dot turtles as they spawn.
  • If black arrow is off cooldown when the bats spawn, I wait for them to be positioned and use fire trap, if it still has a cooldown, I use black arrow on the boss as the bats die before it's up the whole time.

• (heroic as a BM hunter) Most of the advice stays the same. Blink strikes per usual to move your pet around quickly. Stayed with glaive instead of barrage as I was on turtle duty (was still misdirected but after a couple multishots switched back to turtles).

Megaera

• As survival, do not use black arrow when a head has below ~25% health or it will not be up for the start of the next head.
  • Using murder of crows, drop one on the first head with other cooldowns then wait until the second head to hit the second one.

Ji-Kun

• Fervor to burn birds. Use glaive on the bird in the back for extra damage.
  • Otherwise stick to single target surv rotation on boss.
  • Use post haste for winds. If you turn away from the boss and use disengage the speed boost provides the chance to stay on the platform easily.

Lei Shen

• For the most part, save your 1 minute deterrence cd for transition phases. During the main phases your healers will have no problem with the hammer and static stacking.
  • For the sparks that spawn in phase 2 save up some focus to multishot them and do a burst of aoe.

Hopefully something here helps other aspiring survival hunters.

Edited by Rumnrum

2/13 H at this point with Horridon being the 2nd one down so I'll throw my tips/tricks in here too mainly as Survival:

Generic: If you have 2 piece tier 15, and looking to max uptime and dps, remember to precast a cobra shot on the pull as long as you've been out of combat for awhile. It usually procs your little friend and of course, combined with a prepot will do good things.

Jinrohk Heroic:

-If you have those new fangled RPPM trinkets be sure to switch their slots right before pull as it'll put them on a hidden 30 seconds internal CD. This should line up perfectly with the creation of the first puddle and the time to blow your other CDs.

-Depending on your group's lightning phase strat, realize that you only need to be just barely off the grates on the side of the room in order to continue to dps. Avoid the lightning of course, but make use of your class' huge uptime potential to move and shoot.

Horridon Heroic:

-Most tips that apply to normal, apply to heroic. I do agree with Ultra that Lynx is a waste of a CD. Some of those adds just melt away from aoe in 4-5 seconds. It would be better to use Murder on Horridon on CD as he'll take progressively more and more damage as the fight goes on.

-Still on talents, I just killed him on heroic last night and was using Fervor instead of Thrill. I'll try with Thrill next time but I just seem to prefer the playstyle of Fervor in general so maybe I'm getting more mileage out of it. Barrage is probably good as well although I didn't use it either, I was specced into Glaive at the time.

-Widow's Venom is probably a must for heroic as its fairly tightly tuned. A tick of heal from the dinomancer could represent a wipe at 3% (or the one we had last night at 0.5%) instead of a kill. A 25% reduction of that couldn't hurt. Just put it up on the boss as the dinomancer comes out so you won't forget.

-Oh and be the backup interruptor on the Dinomancer with Silencing Shot. It should be below 50% having only tried to cast the heal once, but sometimes a 2nd attempted heal comes and I found everyone else had blown their interrupt so check with your interruptors and set yourself up to save the day as the 2nd interruptor.

-With your 1 min Deterrance from talent, you can mitigate a lot of the Dire Calls and it'll be crucial to do so in the last burn phase after the War God is dead.

-For managing your fluffy pink dino, I saw some recommendations to put your pet on passive and then send it off to kick your dino everywhere. The only problem I found with that is the arena is f-ing huge so you can easily despawn your pet and then here comes Mr. Pink Dino again. Yes, you can send your pet to the boss and then back to the add off and on but I didn't want to jack with that. The better thing I found for managing it was trying to kite your dino into your current group of targets/adds. For every Multi your get off, your dino goes flying back. Certainly if you want to take a little time in between doors to chase it off across the room, that can't hurt but in the last phase, there is no time to do that. So getting the dino to be sitting in the middle of the boss and occassionally MS instead of AS will keep it in check as you melt away the boss HP. Obviously if it gets close enough, focus it and smack it around. Dead dps=0 dps.

-I didn't find a frost trap to be that useful for the doors. Usually it was best that the adds get to the tank pretty quickly so that we could all cleave them down. Help em out with MDs when you can.

-This fight is fricking long, use your CDs all over the place. Stampede can be used 3 times usually. Once on the pull, 2nd around the spanwing of the 3rd door dinomancer, and lastly in the burn phase of Horridon post-Jalak.

Council of Elders

-Posthaste is also a talent useful for getting you out of sandtraps although if you are stacked up for someone's frostbite, that can get you out of position.

-Make use of any opportunities to MS if all the bosses are stacked up.

Tortos

-I'm usually terrible dps-wise on tortos cuz I get stuck on shell kicking duty ("you can move and dps, you get the tough jobs"). So if you want shell kicking tips here's your place, otherwise, the other tips above on getting the bats and spinning turts are sufficient.

-If you get shell kicking duty, just be sure to not panic. Don't stand near a disabled shell before a Quake because it is likely the rockfalls will spawn around you and prevent you from getting a clear shot at it for kicking. Give yourself some focus time to get to the shells and line it up before you have to kick it. Proper planning is really the key. If you suddenly see your dbm timer saying you have 3 more seconds before the stone breath cast and the turtle you need is across the room, you all die. Obviously if you only have a second or two before the cast starts and a rockfall is going to hit you, use Deterrance and health stones and the like. Or call out for help.

-Oh and number 1 thing about shell kicking, don't kick before he starts casting. He may cast something else before it even if he's at 100 energy. You have some leeway here but play it safe and get the kill instead of trying to get fancy on it with pre-kicking. The only exception to this is if you only have one shell to kick and its at the waaaay back of the room, you may have to prekick and hope due to travel time.

-Oh crap, I did have another tip to add about frost traps. Coordinate hardcore with your raid team, if you have an aff lock that is going to slow the turtles as they come out with their 70% slow, your frost trap can overwrite that slow and only give 50% slow for the time the turtles are in your trap. After that they'll go zinging around the room at possibly full speed. If your team doesn't have any other effective slows, you might be better off not dropping the trap.

Megaera

-Posthaste is fun to use on torrents of ice.

-Follow the other tips on maxing dps,watch the health of the heads as they go down. Don't be a meter-padding dbag by dotting both heads. Be ready to defend your "crappy uptime" on serpent sting if your raid leader is picking apart logs. At the moment WoL/Recount/etc would only give you 100% uptime if you dotted both heads all the time.

Ji-Kun

-Get used to nest duty.

-Realize that deterrance doesn't stop all damage from Quills so don't leave your nest healer for the next nest unless you are sure its almost over or you have enough health to make it.

-I try to use most of my CDs while going from the first nest to the second (we have the nest group return back up to the platform for a bit of dps time before the 2nd nest spawns) and obviously at the end when you give up on nests and suck up Feed Young buffs.

Durumu

-Laugh at all the other caster/ranged that can't keep 100% uptime on the boss during the maze. Feel superior and pull the numbers to do so.

-If you are worried about the maze spawn even post-nerf, pop deterrance right as the maze closes in behind you.

-DON'T use Cheetah or Pack during the maze, there is a slight bit of raid damage going out and you'll get dazed (or lose the buff from the glyph). Its not worth the risk.

Primordius

-Try to dot up a few oozes to start and then go focus on one until you get it down. Depending on your gear level, 3 or so oozes is probably the max to dot up and focus down before they might get to the boss (or stolen by other greedy raid members).

Dark Animus

-You can be super-hunter and tank one animus yourself and have your pet tank another. But you have to be careful your pet doesn't kill theirs in a bad place. If you are going to do this, make sure the tanks know to pick up the one off your pet early on in the fight. Oh and of course don't forget to heal your pet >.<

-Deterrance when you are waiting around for tanks to kill their animus to get the massive one going.

Iron Qon

-Use Disengage to get over spear lines in all phases if you don't want to take a stack by failing to time your jumps properly.

-In the tornado part, deterrance as you run out but then realize you can stand on the edge of the swirly circle and still range the boss.

Twin Consorts

-If low in dusk phase and Tidal force is unslowed, go ahead and pop deterrance.

-If you are quick enough, you can disengage out of the damage of the Ice comet when it spawns.

Lei Shen

-I know Readiness is supposed to be a dps CD, but I use it as a big FU to Static Shock bad luck on transition phases. Deterrance through one, Readiness Deterrance through another. HOWEVER, if you are counted on to stack with others, its been said to NOT use Deterrance if you are stacking to soak because it will not split the damage to you at all. Thus if you have 3 people stacking to split 1 mil damage, you would think everyonje would take 333k...but if you deterrance, your fellow stackers will take 500k. Unconfirmed by me as I end up a solo soaker with a spriest on a quadrant every time, but keep it in mind.

-Your pet can tank the SMALL adds that pop out from Diffusion Chain during transitions, just MD and have them taunt quickly and keep em healed up. Handy if you are not in a group with a somewhat tanky class around. Do not attempt to have a pet tank the big adds if you miss a bouncing bolt...just MD to a tank and run.

Jin'rokh : Clearly a BM fight.

Horridon : Clearly a SV fight.

Council of Elders : You should go BM for this fight.

Tortos : Clearly a SV fight

Megaera : Clearly a BM fight

Ji-kun : Clearly a SV fight

Durumu : Clearly a BM fight

Primordius : Clearly a SV fight

Dark Animus : Clearly a BM fight

Twin Consorts : Clearly a BM fight

Lei Shen : BM or SV, your choice

Hello Ultoraison,

I agree your theorical choices concerning talents for each fight. But, I'd like to know why Worlds of Logs best ranked hunters are SV for Jin'rokh (25 N). Of course, I'm talking of the first 40 hunters on each talent not only the first three (because DPS of the first is often very surprising).

Do you have any logicial explanation for those stranges facts ?

Thanks

but if you deterrance, your fellow stackers will take 500k. Unconfirmed by me as I end up a solo soaker with a spriest on a quadrant every time, but keep it in mind.

Abosolutely confirmed, I have killed raid members that have stacked on me at the last minute with my static shock.

If you are stacking with the rest of your quadrants members DO NOT deterrance, if you are taking it on your own, always use deterrance.

EDIT

Ji Kun tip (HC Down)

Take 2/3 ticks of the damage from quills before popping Deterrance, which will then last the rest of the duration of quills, allowing your healers to concentrate on other classes that cannot mitigate the damage, you can always HStone afterwards if necessary.

Take Fervor as the talent instead of Thrill, Thrill cant be relied on where the instant injection of focus can.

Try not to use a Barrage just before a lower nest, it's tempting to use on CD on the boss, but on HC Ji Kun you need those birds dead.

On the upper nests, Barrage if off CD, multi both eggs and then single target, communicate to your nest buddy which one you will kill.

Edited by Joqer
  • Like 1