FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

Throne of Thunder Mage Style

Before I said Blazing Speed was a must for this fight for faceroll escapes from the Windstorm, but I went Fire to play around and learn it and I reallyyyyyy like my PoM talent, so I just glyphed Blink for our H-Iron Qon fight this week, and so far it makes it so it is near impossible to get caught by the a tornado, so that is always an option if you're a baddy like me that loves his PoM too much to give it up. If you do end up glyphing Blink and forsaking Blazing Speed, just run about 5 yards forward (no tornado should be near you that early), and aim Blink towards an open area and you're free to stand right outside it and pew pew while your melee just stand there twiddling their thumbs... after they finally get out.

Heroic Jin'rokh, Frost mage. (But most things apply to other specs as well)

Talents used:

Blazing speed - Faster reposition with ball lightning, better movement during lightning storm

Ice Barrier - Great for mitigating the balls, as well as you don't have to time it that well during lightning storm, but Temporal shield could do as well.

Cold Snap - I found this a must have. You can prevent every single Ionization to be applied to you! Just use it to reset Ice Block ASAP.

I'd also suggest a macro for this.

#showtooltip Cold Snap

/cancelaura Ice Block

/cast Cold Snap

Living Bomb - with the recent change of 5.3 it has become better on single target encounters. (edited 22th May.)

Invocation - You need movement so.. obvious choice.

Glyphs

Glyph of Blink: Can be useful on lightning storm and ball kiting.

Glyph of Icy Veins: No GCD wasted during heroism.

Glyph of Water elemental: Just because nothing else worth it more...

Another possible choice is Glyph of Evocation, but you will want to spend that time DPSing instead.

Tips: If u get ball lightning on you, Blazing speed run out, pop Ice Barrier/Temporal Shield, Blink back.

On the 1st Ionization: Use Ice block BEFORE ionization being casted. After it is casted, use the Cold snap Macro I mentioned above.

On the 2nd Ionization: Use Ice Block. Cold Snap will be still on CD, but u can remove the Ice block with the same macro.

3rd Ionization: Cold Snap will just be ready before the Ionization will be casted, so get ready to use it when it is off of CD, then Ice block the spell.

During Lightning storm, try to be around the edge of the room, but still in range of DPS. Cast Forstbolt only if you are sure you will not get hit by a lightning! Use Ice barrier on CD, keep Nether Tempest up for moar procs. Blazing speed is your friend here. Avoid using Blink, because you might blink into another ball. Keep that as a last possibility for avoiding a ball.

Edited by Oltier
  • Like 3

Greater Invisibility and Cauterize are both lvl. 60 talents. Since I can't take both at the same time, I suggest removing Cauterize from the tip.

There is the word OR instead of AND :3

• Like 1

There is the word OR instead of AND :3

The way I understand the sentence is that I can use Greater Invisibility to remove either the Volatile Pathogen debuff, or the Cauterize debuff. I see the intended meaning now, but it could be clearer.

• Like 1

The way I understand the sentence is that I can use Greater Invisibility to remove either the Volatile Pathogen debuff, or the Cauterize debuff. I see the intended meaning now, but it could be clearer.

I updated the original post to make it more clear.

I updated the original post to make it more clear.

I'll make it even more clear, because Cauterize does not exactly remove the debuff.

Heroic Jin'rokh, Frost mage. (But most things apply to other specs as well)

Talents used:

Blazing speed - Faster reposition with ball lightning, better movement during lightning storm

Ice Barrier - Great for mitigating the balls, as well as you don't have to time it that well during lightning storm, but Temporal shield could do as well.

Cold Snap - I found this a must have. You can prevent every single Ionization to be applied to you! Just use it to reset Ice Block ASAP.

I'd also suggest a macro for this.

#showtooltip Cold Snap

/cancelaura Ice Block

/cast Cold Snap

Living Bomb - with the recent change of 5.3 it has become better on single target encounters. (edited 22th May.)

Invocation - You need movement so.. obvious choice.

Glyphs

Glyph of Blink: Can be useful on lightning storm and ball kiting.

Glyph of Icy Veins: No GCD wasted during heroism.

Glyph of Water elemental: Just because nothing else worth it more...

Another possible choice is Glyph of Evocation, but you will want to spend that time DPSing instead.

Tips: If u get ball lightning on you, Blazing speed run out, pop Ice Barrier/Temporal Shield, Blink back.

On the 1st Ionization: Use Ice block BEFORE ionization being casted. After it is casted, use the Cold snap Macro I mentioned above.

On the 2nd Ionization: Use Ice Block. Cold Snap will be still on CD, but u can remove the Ice block with the same macro.

3rd Ionization: Cold Snap will just be ready before the Ionization will be casted, so get ready to use it when it is off of CD, then Ice block the spell.

During Lightning storm, try to be around the edge of the room, but still in range of DPS. Cast Forstbolt only if you are sure you will not get hit by a lightning! Use Ice barrier on CD, keep Nether Tempest up for moar procs. Blazing speed is your friend here. Avoid using Blink, because you might blink into another ball. Keep that as a last possibility for avoiding a ball.

Thanks for the tips. I tried this fight tonight and in my opinion Temporal Shield is better than Ice Barrier. Most of the abilities that damage you are predictable and hit hard, so it is good not only for you to be able to heal up after taking damage but good for your healers as well. During the storm phase it seems to work well (as long as you only take 1-2 hits max) because the healers are trying not to die and it is difficult to heal you up if you take damage. It also works really well for ball lightning.

• Like 1

Wanted to add a few things I've realized as my guild progresses through heroics:

(Also I raid as fire and we're a 10 man guild)

1) HEROIC HORRIDON

I initally thought that frost was superior in every way on this fight for several reasons. You have an elemental which, if you have the correct macro, can easily and effectively deal with the direhorn spirit the entire fight. You have frozen orb which, if the raid doesn't confuse it with the frozen warlord's orbs can provide excellent multi-target dps. Your frost spells, namely frostbolt, slow the adds and can make it easier for the tanks to pick them up before they target a dps or healer and wreck face.

Last week, however, I forgot to switch to frost and we engaged with me as fire. On the first door, I was able to get off a nice pyro + combust combo using the technique described in the Icy Veins fire guide, and with a timely IB, spread the dots and watched as I topped the meters. Needless to say, fire is extremely competitive in dps, granted you get off a nice combust and spread it. The only trouble is dealing with the direhorn spirit. Scorch is fine, but I found that the spirit would still be in the air getting knocked back as my second scorch came off global, thus negating its effect and requring a third scorch to effectively knock back twice.

In other words, if I'm targeting the direhorn spirit and I scorch to knock it back, by the time my scorch is off CD, the spirit is still in the air and if I were to scorch again, it wouldn't do anything. The spirit will still land and continue charging me as normal.

I have yet to try ice lance as an acceptable replacement for direhorn knock backs, as scorching the spirit is still "part of the fire rotation" in that it still triggers heating up and hot streaks and still yields instant pyros.

My last piece of advice for heroic horridon is just that. I scorch the spirit as often as needed, but whenever it triggers Pyro! just aim it at the kill target, be it a frozen warlord, dinomancer, or the voodoo witch doctors or whatever. You get your knockbacks and keep up relatively good damage on kill targets.

2) HEROIC IRON QON

The only tip/trick I know of occurs just before the windstorm phase. Since we run to the door to escape the tornados, you can pre-emptive this transition by running or blinking near the door just before windstorm, popping alter time, waiting until he casts windstorm and sweeps you up into the middle of the room, re-pop AT and boom! You're either in the clear or very near the clear that it should be super easy dodging any tornados and running out. While AT won't be available if there's a second windstorm, this is a good technique for people that seem to have trouble dodging tornados.

Edited by Soulcraft
  • Like 1

For Dark Animus: You can simply cast one Ice Lance without procc on your add then your waterelemental will attack it and tank it for you. This way you can easily Focus the adds of the Tank Healers or what ever without tanking any damge by your self! But don't forget to heal your water elemental with your frostbolt if it gets low on health.

• Like 1

is this just happening to me or everyone, on the Magaera fight were ever its LFR, normal or HC, when i cast Frozen Orb, it always goes either behind me or sidewides whereas it is meant to travel in a straight pasth in front of you, is blizzard intending to fox this or is it intended just to piss us mages off, Posted Image

I had the same issue but I found that casting the orb inbetween the two heads (directly at the "mountain" that seperates them) will make it not bounce back. Try to line it up so that you are positioned with an equal distance to both heads.

For Dark Animus: You can simply cast one Ice Lance without procc on your add then your waterelemental will attack it and tank it for you. This way you can easily Focus the adds of the Tank Healers or what ever without tanking any damge by your self! But don't forget to heal your water elemental with your frostbolt if it gets low on health.

I don't believe this would be an efficient way. Tanking with your pet is indded a god idea, but you should be using your FBs for DPS instead of healing your pet. Your Burning Soul ability reduces the cast time slow from hit by 70% anyway, and Ice Barrier completely negates this effect.

My guild is going to begin doing heroics this week. I will of course be watching videos on the fights. By chance we make it to Ra-Den, can you recommend somewhere to find information about that fight?

Also, there is only heroic specific advice in this mage guide on Jin'rokh and Ji-Kun. Anyone have anything specific to frost/fire mages? (I experimented with Fire last week, but only had 29% Crit after re-gemming and refordging, so I stayed Frost for now).

Thanks!

My guild is going to begin doing heroics this week. I will of course be watching videos on the fights. By chance we make it to Ra-Den, can you recommend somewhere to find information about that fight?

Also, there is only heroic specific advice in this mage guide on Jin'rokh and Ji-Kun. Anyone have anything specific to frost/fire mages? (I experimented with Fire last week, but only had 29% Crit after re-gemming and refordging, so I stayed Frost for now).

Thanks!

The Heroic suggestions are made for frost mages. (When I wrote that part I was a frost mage. :)) Or what would you like to hear exactly?

I would like to hear specific differences to the heroic fights as it relates to mages, if there are any. That is done for Jin'rokh and Ji-Kun, but not the rest of the fights.

And is there a guide for Ra-Den?

Aah, I see. Unfortunately my guild is on a break and we are not progressing further into HC, that means I cannot provide experience based HC mage specific tips. Unless a mage from the community helps us out, I doubt there will be any mage specific tips.

About Ra-Den, the beauty of that boss is its misery. smile.png I will ask about him tho. smile.png

EDIT: 

Heroic Ra-den (10 or 25 man)

Phase 1: 100%-40%
3 things to worry about

1) Unstable Vita
2) Crackling add
3) Essence of Anima

For Unstable Vita, you simply need someone calling out who goes where. You'll pull Ra-den to the middle of the room and everyone will be clumped up right underneath of him. You'll set two markers 45 degrees from his ass on both directions so that people will run diagonally away from him to a marker. Someone randomly will get Unstable Vita. UV works where it gets passed to the person farthest from them. As soon as someone gets picked, they need to run to one of the markers. Someone else will need to run to the other marker to be the receiver for Unstable Vita. The original UV person will run into the stacked group while someone else will take his or her place. He or she will then receive UV and so on. The important part of this mechanic is to make sure the tank is never farther away than the two people exchanging Vita. If you have UV sensitivity and you receive it, you die. Also, anyone in the path of the UV exchange will take an assload of damage. This shouldn't happen unless the UV exchange gets messed up. All UV sensitivity debuffs (debuff you get when you've had UV) will reset when the Essences (blue + red balls) hit Ra-den.

For the Crackling add, it'll spawn somewhere, and it needs DPS'd down. Stunning it is a good idea because it hurts. When it gets around 20%, it needs stunned, knocked away from the group, and then finished. When it dies, it does an AoE explosion that really hurts. Good knockbacks = Typhoon, Thunderstorm, Carrion Swarm.

On a set period of time, he will do an ability called Materials of Creation. He'll summon a blue ball and a red ball matrix style in random parts of the room. Ranged DPS MUST start attacking the red ball (called Essence of Anima) as soon as it appears. The ballls will travel towards Ra-den with some moderate speed and cannot be slowed, stunned, or knocked back. When the red ball is killed, the blue ball disappears. If the red ball is not killed, you will suffer a VERY high amount of raid-wide damage. It's livable, but not without pre-planned CDs. The trick here is to let a couple of the balls hit, but not all. You should kill the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd red balls. You'll let the 4th hit, but you don't want to just hold Ra-den in the middle and let the balls hit because they'll hit simultaneously. Physically move Ra-den towards the red ball so that hits and the blue one despawns. Plan for a moderate raid CD (Devotion Aura, Barrier, etc.) and everyone's Vita Sensitivity debuff will fade. Kill the 5th and 6th, then let the 7th hit. This should put you around the 40% mark on the boss's health. If you switch to a red ball and fail to kill it, say the 2nd one, all won't be lost if healers can get people back up. You'll just kill the 3rd, 4th, and 5th one and let the 6th hit. Try not to let this happen, and put an emphasis on burst spells.

At 40%, Ra-den quits summoning Crackling adds and the Materials of Creation and starts doing a raid-wide ability called Ruin in intervals that will always do the same amount of damage augmented by the number of balls he consumes in P1 and P2. While this damage hurts, with a 25 man, you'll have enough rotating CDs to be fine. Before gear wasn't an issue, you had to kill certain balls in P2 and whatnot, but since our first kill, we neglected all balls in P2, popped Bloodlust, and burned him. He will heal for a very small amount when consuming a blue ball and gain a 5% damage buff when he consumes a red ball (may have those backwards, but it's largely irrelevant). Be prepared if you let the 7th Materials of Creation hit causing raid damage and the boss hits 40% at the same time. People will be low, and Ruin will finish them off. Prepare for this burst of damage. You win when he hits 5%. He will drop lots of cloaks you won't need.

• Like 1

I don't believe this would be an efficient way. Tanking with your pet is indded a god idea, but you should be using your FBs for DPS instead of healing your pet. Your Burning Soul ability reduces the cast time slow from hit by 70% anyway, and Ice Barrier completely negates this effect.

Well it's only about reducing the heal needed for you  you need 1 of 4 fbs for healing your pet so its not that big dps lost ;)