FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

Throne of Thunder Brewmaster Monk Style

This thread is meant to collect useful pieces of information for Brewmaster Monks attempting bosses in the Throne of Thunder. We will add some contributions ourselves and hope that the rest will come from comments in this thread smile.png

Table of Contents

Jin'rokh the Breaker

Useful talents:

Useful glyphs:

• Avoid using inv_glyph_majormonk.jpgGlyph of Guard, unless you self-heal a lot. The extra physical shield really helps the healers.

Tips and Tricks:

• Most of the damage is physical for the tank, so stack Agility.
  • spell_monk_nimblebrew.jpgNimble Brew is awesome to get out of the stun from ability_warrior_throwdown.jpgThundering Throw. If the other tank has stacks of spell_nature_purge.jpgStatic Wound, then you can quickly taunt the boss back from them. Also, Nimble Brew has a 2-minute cooldown, so get thrown first to make the best of it.
  • ability_monk_tigerslust.jpgTiger's Lust is very useful if you need to run back to the boss quickly after Thundering Throw.
  • Since the boss hits hard, use ability_monk_dampenharm.jpgDampen Harm on cooldown to make the fight easier for your healers.
  • Save ability_monk_elusiveale.jpgElusive Brew for when you tank the boss with stacks of Static Wound. Dodging the boss' attacks is really important at that point, to reduce raid damage.
  • During spell_shaman_thunderstorm.jpgLightning Storm, try getting behind everyone and cast spell_arcane_arcanetorrent.jpgChi Burst when everyone is around half health.
  • During spell_shaman_thunderstorm.jpgLightning Storm, you can use ability_monk_zenmeditation.jpgZen Meditation to help your healers out.
  • When your raid stacks up for spell_shaman_thunderstorm.jpgLightning Storm , coordinate with your healers and use monk_ability_avertharm.jpgAvert Harm when they don't have cooldowns ready. Make sure everyone stacks tight as Avert Harm's range is rather low!

Links:

Horridon

Useful talents:
  • Take ability_monk_quipunch.jpgCelerity or ability_monk_tigerslust.jpgTiger's Lust. The choice is up to you. Tiger's Lust allows you to make it easier for another raid member to get our of ability_warrior_bullrush.jpgCharge. Celerity can help you reposition yourself during phase transitions. If you manage your own movement properly, Tiger's Lust will probably the most useful of the two talents.
  • ability_monk_chiwave.jpgChi Wave
  • Take ability_monk_legsweep.jpgLeg Sweep or ability_monk_chargingoxwave.jpgCharging Ox Wave in your talent tree since a fair few of the adds are stunnable. If you are mostly on the boss, then you can take spell_monk_ringofpeace.jpgRing of Peace, as Jalakk can be disarmed (and you can also use it during the rest of the fight to disarm/interrupt some of the adds).
  • ability_monk_dampenharm.jpgDampen Harm should be taken on this fight as there is almost no reason to take spell_monk_diffusemagic.jpgDiffuse Magic.
  • Take ability_monk_rushingjadewind.jpgRushing Jade Wind. Yes, Xeun can be used to tank Jalakk, but the 30% damage buff to ability_monk_cranekick_new.jpgSpinning Crane Kick from the ability_monk_rushingjadewind.jpgRushing Jade Wind buff is really good for getting those add packs down fast.

Useful glyphs:

Tips and Tricks:

• Help your healers out with dispelling ability_creature_poison_02.jpgVenom Bolt Volley and spell_nature_nullifydisease.jpgDeadly Plague as much as you can.
  • Make sure you have your cooldowns available when you are tanking War God Jalakk or Horridon in the last phase.
  • On this fight there's a pretty good chance that your Ox Statue will go down, especially if you have inv_glyph_majormonk.jpgGlyph of Leer of the Ox. Try to keep this in mind and recast your statue when needed. Or you can simply make a habit of recasting your Ox Statue every time you get to the next door.
  • When you don't think you have the ability to live through a ability_warrior_shieldbreak.jpgTriple Puncture or a inv_misc_monsterhorn_07.jpgDouble Swipe that you can't get out of, ability_monk_zenmeditation.jpgZen Meditation will reduce all damage done to you by 90% from any source. Yes it does get cancelled by a melee swing but that melee swing will also be reduced by 90%!
  • ability_monk_legsweep.jpgLeg Sweep is great for helping interrupt and just in general stunning adds while you're tanking them.
  • Use ability_monk_cranekick_new.jpgSpinning Crane Kick to bring down the adds, as its damage is greatly increased by Rushing Jade Wind. Also, you will generate a lot of Healing Spheres and you will be able to keep moving to avoid traps and void zones.
  • ability_monk_chiwave.jpgChi Wave will help you immensely on this fight. Combine it with a inv_misc_beer_06.jpgPurifying Brew right after a ability_warrior_shieldbreak.jpgTriple Puncture to help offset a large majority of the damage that Horridon does.
  • Help your healers by using spell_holy_dispelmagic.jpgDetox, can't stress how much this actually helps. (Try to get as many people to help with this honestly)

Links:

Council of Elders

Useful talents: share your thoughts!
Useful glyphs:

Tips and Tricks:

• Use ability_monk_zenmeditation.jpgZen Meditation when Sul the Sandcrawler is casting spell_sandstorm.jpgSandstorm, provided you are not tanking any of the other boss, since melee attacks cancel the effect. You have a small window to use it.
  • Only consume ability_monk_elusiveale.jpgElusive Brew stacks when you are tanking Frost King Malakk, the melee damage of the other bosses, when interupted, is irrelevant.
  • You can't use ability_monk_elusiveale.jpgElusive Brew to avoid getting stunned at 15 stacks of inv_axe_1h_pvpcataclysms3_c_01.jpgFrigid Assault.

Links:

Tortos

Useful glyphs: share your thoughts!

Tips and Tricks:

Links:

Megaera

Useful talents:

Useful glyphs:

Tips and Tricks:

• The breaths are magic and hit hard. The heads hit hard. Unfortunately, the damage the heads do isn't spikey damage, but is just straight up heavy damage. Because of that, I recommend cancelling out the magic and letting your stagger do it's job. Take inv_glyph_majormonk.jpgGlyph of Guard and spell_monk_diffusemagic.jpgDiffuse Magic. ability_monk_guard.jpgGuard as many breaths as you can. spell_monk_diffusemagic.jpgDiffuse Magic those you can't.
  • Remember to throw down some ability_monk_healthsphere.jpgHealing Sphere when stacking in between heads for where you will be tanking.
  • You can use your raid cooldowns (monk_ability_avertharm.jpgAvert Harm and ability_monk_zenmeditation.jpgZen Meditation) between 2 and 3 times. Make sure you use them when stacking and that the healers know you will be taking a bit more damage during that phase than normal.

Links:

Ji-Kun

Useful talents:

Useful glyphs:

Tips and Tricks:

• Use ability_monk_guard.jpgGuard on the first ability_rogue_dismantle.jpgTalon Rake, and keep cycling between ability_monk_dampenharm.jpgDampen Harm and ability_monk_zenmeditation.jpgZen Meditation (see above). You can also use ability_monk_fortifyingale_new.jpgFortifying Brew and keep ability_monk_zenmeditation.jpgZen Meditation for removing pools of slime when you have nothing else to do.
  • ability_monk_forcesphere.jpgZen Sphere is great for this fight. Just keep it up on whichever tank is on the boss.
  • You can remove a pool of slime without requiring healing if you consume a ability_monk_healthsphere.jpgHealing Sphere after each pool. You can also use your Healing Sphere on other players who are removing pools, if your ability_monk_shuffle.jpgShuffle is high enough that you won't need to refresh it on the next swap.

Links:

Durumu the Forgotten

Useful talents:
  • ability_monk_forcesphere.jpgZen Sphere is best for tank swapping. Use it during the maze phase on whoever is taking a lot of damage.
  • ability_monk_dampenharm.jpgDampen Harm is necessary. The boss will hit like a truck as you get close to five stacks of ability_druid_infectedwound.jpgSerious Wound. With proper CD usage and shielding from healers you can make it to 7 or 8 stacks.

Useful glyphs:

Tips and Tricks:

• If you're tanking and you get targeted for a pool, run up on the boss and drop the pool directly underneath the boss.
  • monk_ability_transcendence.jpgTranscendence is great for avoiding the beams as they sweep across the room.
  • Remember to use your ability_monk_healthsphere.jpgHealing Spheres. Plop them down for the other tank to use. Put them down for you right before you begin to tank. Throw them down around the area right before a maze phase, maybe someone will hit a wall and your sphere will save them.
  • Try gathering 1 minute of ability_monk_shuffle.jpgShuffle and saving up on both Energy and Chi before your turn to tank comes. Ideally, you want to be capped on Energy and Chi after the second ability_druid_infectedwound.jpgHard Stare. After that, use all that Chi for inv_misc_beer_06.jpgPurifying Brew and ability_monk_guard.jpgGuard and all that Energy for ability_monk_expelharm.jpgExpel Harm.

Links:

Primordius

Tips and Tricks: share your thoughts!

Links:

Dark Animus

Links:

Iron Qon

Links:

Twin Consorts

Links:

Lei Shen

Links:

Changelog

• 22 Mar. 2013: Added a number of tips on the first seven bosses from CyaSteve, Romanca, and Jehosephat.
  • 15 Mar. 2013: Added tips from CrAcKeD and CyaSteve for Jin'rokh.
  • Like 1

For Jin'Rokh you can use Nimble Brew to break out of the stun that is put on you after you are thrown; very useful for repositioning the boss by taunting right after use, and taking aggro off the other tank if they have the static debuff. Nimble Brew does have a 2 minute CD on it so if you want to get the most out of it get thrown first.

I will be testing the use of Diffuse Magic and Glyph of Guard this week and will report back.

Edited by CyaSteve
  • Like 1

Here are some of my tips for the first boss:

• Most of the damage is physical for the tank so stack agility.
  • As CyaSteve mentioned, Nimble Brew is awesome to get out of the stun with. I've had that up every time as the boss has thrown my off tank for the 2nd pool.
  • For glyphs I'd recommend not using the Glyph of Guard unless you self-heal a lot. That extra physical shield really helped out my healers when things were tight.
  • Since the boss hits like a truck use Dampen Harm to reduce some of those hits when needed.
  • I save Elusive Brew for the time when I take the boss and still have static wound up. Dodge is super important at that part to minimize raid damage.
  • I'd also recommend getting Tiger's Lust to get back to the boss ASAP if you need to take the boss after being thrown.
  • As for the healing ability I like using Chi Burst while we stack up for lightning storm. I step behind most of the crowd and hit them all if we get to half health as a raid.
I haven't started the 2nd boss yet, but I think I'm going to try Rushing Jade Wind for the extra damage to the adds.
  • Like 1

For Jin'Rokh you can use Nimble Brew to break out of the stun that is put on you after you are thrown; very useful for repositioning the boss by taunting right after use, and taking aggro off the other tank if they have the static debuff. Nimble Brew does have a 2 minute CD on it so if you want to get the most out of it get thrown first.

I will be testing the use of Diffuse Magic and Glyph of Guard this week and will report back.

Here are some of my tips for the first boss:

• Most of the damage is physical for the tank so stack agility.

• As CyaSteve mentioned, Nimble Brew is awesome to get out of the stun with. I've had that up every time as the boss has thrown my off tank for the 2nd pool.

• For glyphs I'd recommend not using the Glyph of Guard unless you self-heal a lot. That extra physical shield really helped out my healers when things were tight.

• Since the boss hits like a truck use Dampen Harm to reduce some of those hits when needed.

• I save Elusive Brew for the time when I take the boss and still have static wound up. Dodge is super important at that part to minimize raid damage.

• I'd also recommend getting Tiger's Lust to get back to the boss ASAP if you need to take the boss after being thrown.

• As for the healing ability I like using Chi Burst while we stack up for lightning storm. I step behind most of the crowd and hit them all if we get to half health as a raid.
I haven't started the 2nd boss yet, but I think I'm going to try Rushing Jade Wind for the extra damage to the adds.

Thanks guys! It's all been added. Please keep the tips coming :)

On Jin'Rokh during spell_shaman_thunderstorm.jpgLightning Storm, you can use ability_monk_zenmeditation.jpgZen Meditation to help your healers out.

On Horridon help your healers out with dispelling ability_creature_poison_02.jpgVenom Bolt Volley and spell_nature_nullifydisease.jpgDeadly Plague as much as you can. Take ability_monk_legsweep.jpgLeg Sweep or ability_monk_chargingoxwave.jpgCharging Ox Wave in your talent tree since a fair few of the adds are stunnable. Make sure you have your cooldowns available when you are tanking War God Jalakk or Horridon in the last phase.

On Council of Elders, use ability_monk_zenmeditation.jpgZen Meditation when Sul the Sandcrawler is casting spell_sandstorm.jpgSandstorm, provided you are not tanking any of the other boss, since melee attacks cancel the effect. You have a small window to use it. Only consume ability_monk_elusiveale.jpgElusive Brew stacks when you are tanking Frost King Malakk, the melee damage of the other bosses, when interupted, is irrelevant.

Edited by Romanca
  • Like 1

Can't believe I forgot to say this about Jin'Rokh.

When your raid stacks up for Lightning Storm, coordinate with your healers and use Avert Harm when they don't have cooldowns ready. Make sure everyone stacks tight as Avert Harm's range is rather low!

For Horridon:

Take Rushing Jade Wind as your Tier 6 Talent. Yes, Xeun can be used to tank Jalakk, but the 30% damage buff to Spinning Crane Kick from the RJW buff is really good for getting those add packs down fast.

A quality of life choice can be made on this fight between Celerity and Tiger's Lust. It's really up to you whether you want to be able to Lust someone that has Charge on them to get them out of raid, or if you want that extra roll for repositioning during door transitions / to get into range of adds quickly, though Tiger's Lust can do this also. Though to add onto this, I do suggest Tiger's Lust, especially for people who lag behind on door 3 with the frost orbs. This combined with a Disc priest's speed sheilds can help reduce unnecessary damage to players who might not be paying attention at the time.

On this fight there's a pretty good chance that your Ox Statue will go down, whether it be to range or adds, especially if you have Leer of the Ox Statue glyphed. Try to keep this in mind and recast your statue when needed. I've made a habit of simply recasting the Ox statue every time I get to the next door, it helps so much when you're tanking adds because you do so much damage!

General reminder, especially for Horridon when you don't think you have the ability to live through a Triple Puncture or a Double Slash that you can't get out of, Zen Meditation will reduce all damage done to you by 90% from any source. Yes it does get cancelled by a melee swing but that melee swing will also be reduced by 90%!

Extras:

I will be testing the difference between Chi Wave and Zen Sphere this Sunday on Jin'Rokh.

I currently always use Chi Wave because the self healing is amazing, especially when combined with Guard. However, I'm interested to see how Zen Sphere might work out during a Lightning Storm.

For this I'm going to assume I have 60k AP, this will of course fluctuate but it's just a number to fiddle around with.

Chi Wave - 15 Sec CD, 1 use - 493+45% AP, bounces 7 times.

Zen Sphere - 10 Sec CD, 2 Spheres can be up at a time, 99+9% AP tick, every 2 sec/16 seconds + 403+36.8% AP

Chi Wave is a two time use it you start it up at the start of the ability (about a second before it comes in) and use it at the very end, although this won't be too useful. Either way you're looking at about an effective 27.5k heal on the 7 people it bounces to, not bad.

Zen Sphere when set up correctly can probably pop 3 times with the AoE. The individual ticks could be nice also. You'd probably get 3-4 ticks out of it giving you 15-20k heals on 3 people then the AoE heal when it pops would be 67k to the raid, again not bad.

The numbers look better for Zen Sphere during lightning phase but the amount of damage you take as a tank outside of this phase probably outweighs this and makes Chi Wave the better pick up.

Chi Burst has its niche uses but I don't believe this fight is one of them, Chi Wave is up twice as often and will heal you more than Chi Burst will while tanking Jin'Rokh. I would only suggest using Chi Burst if your raid is dying by only one extra tick on Lightning Storm. (As that is roughly how much a Chi Burst will offset)

Glyph of Guard is generally a bad pick up for at least the front 3 bosses.

Edited by CyaSteve
  • Like 1

We downed Horridon this week in a pretty crazy way. I ended up solo tanking the remaining 130M hp that Horridon had after Jalakk went down causing Horridon to enrage and pop out Paladin tank.

Horridon:

• Leg Sweep is great for helping interrupt and just in general stunning adds while you're tanking them.

• Rushing Jade Wind is, imo, a 100% required talent on this fight so that you can help your dps bring down the adds with the use of Spinning Crane Kick, helping yourself at the same time by generating a ton of health orbs and being mobile at the same time to avoid poison / frost orbs.

• Chi Wave will help you immensely on this fight. Combine it with a Purifying Brew right after a Triple Puncture to help offset a large majority of the damage that Horridon does.

• Dampen Harm should be taken on this fight as there is almost no reason to take Diffuse Magic.

• Help your healers by using Detox, can't stress how much this actually helps. (Try to get as many people to help with this honestly)
Glyph your Spinning Crane Kick, it will help immensely when the poison pools are down.

When picking up the special set of adds that jump down from the wall, ~half way through the door phase, pick one of the two landing points and be standing there with a Spinning Crane Kick going so you retain your threat on the other adds, pick up the fresh add, and then taunt the one that lands opposite of you. Follow up with a Keg Smash, and a Breath of Fire if you are worried about threat, and then a RJW + SCK combo for sweet sweet dps.

I ended the fight with 160k dps as a tank! Definitely one of the more fun although chaotic fights in MoP imo.

Edited by CyaSteve
  • Like 1

Horridon:

• Disagree with everyone on leg sweep. Leg sweep is useful when you're tanking the adds, but completely useless when you're not.
  • RoP is useful when you're tanking the adds, and is useful when your co-tank is on them as long as he is within 40 yards.
  • Also, the War-God can be disarmed.

Council:

• You can't elusive brew out of a 15 stack frost stun.

Tortos:

• I tanked the boss. You can dodge his big attacks, try to have even 3 seconds of EB available for each of his big attacks.

Megaera:

• What an annoying boss to tank. The breaths are magic and hit hard. The heads hit hard. Unfortunately, the damage the heads do isn't spikey damage, but is just straight up heavy damage. Because of that, I recommend cancelling out the magic and letting your stagger do it's job. Take the guard glyph and Diffuse magic. Guard as many breaths as you can. Diffuse those you can't.
  • Remember to throw down some healing orbs when stacking in between heads for where you will be tanking.
  • For normal, you need 8 heads down. On 25man, we killed it in 9 minutes. That means you have the brewmaster raid CD (Avert Harm + Zen Meditation) between 2-3 times. Make sure you use them when stacking and that the healers know you will be taking a bit more damage during that phase than normal.
  • Take Chi-Burst. The raid healing is pretty crazy on the stack phase.

Ji-Kun:

• Pretty standard tank swap. I chose to glyph zen med. If your Off-tank is good enough at taunts, you can zen med the last rake every other time and glide over to a pool or two if you're lucky while zen is still up. Soaking 2 pools and a rake and taking no damage? Yes please.
  • Tiger's Lust completely eliminates downdraft. They both last 8 seconds and move for equal amounts.
  • I found guarding the first rake (does no damage if guarded), and cycling CD's between Dampen Harm and Zen Med (for the above use) best. If your off-tank isn't as good at taunting, use Fort Brew in place of zen med and spend the zen meds soaking pools when you have nothing else to do.
  • Found Zen Sphere best for this fight. Just kept it up on whichever tank was on the boss.
  • The poison pools do about 120k damage a second for three seconds. As a tank, my healing spheres were healing me for about 130k. Obviously, that means you can soak a pool without zen med and require no healing if you heal with a sphere after each damage. You can also use it on other soakers if your shuffle is high enough you won't need to refresh it on the next swap.

Durumu:

• Dampen Harm is necessary. The boss will hit like a truck as you get close to five stacks. With proper CD usage you can make it to 7 or 8 stacks if you just let the healers soak the first couple.
  • Again, Zen Sphere best for tank swapping. Use it during the maze phase on the squishiest / dying most often person.
  • If you're tanking and you get targeted for a pool, run up on the boss and drop the pool directly underneath the boss.
  • Transcendence is great for avoiding the beams as they sweep across the room.
  • Remember your healing spheres. Plop them down for the other tank to use. Put them down for you right before you begin to tank. Throw them down around the area right before a maze phase, maybe someone will hit a wall and your sphere will save them.
  • Glyphing Stoneskin can be helpful, depending on when you use fort brew. This will reduce the damage you take from Arterial Cut, but you should use Fort Brew at 3 or 4 stacks with this glyph.
  • One more thing on Durumu, he hits fucking hard for those last hits. I was able to gather around 1 minute of shuffle time whenever I wasn't the active tank. What does that mean? It means you save up energy and chi. Capping both before you start tanking is great, but you should be capped on both after the 2nd hard stare. After that, use all that chi for purifying brews / guard, and all that energy for expel harms.
Edited by Jehosephat
  • Like 1

Durumu:

• Transcendence is great for avoiding the beams as they sweep across the room

What does this mean exactly? what beams? The maze phase beams? the color blind phase?

What does this mean exactly? what beams? The maze phase beams? the color blind phase?

The color blind phase. When the fight was first being attempted the damage on the tanks was coming out hard due to the healers dealing with the beam mechanics. While it does make more sense to be in a beam and share that damage, it was easier at the time to not take that additional damage as a tank and avoid the beams.

Transcendence allows you to jump the beams so to speak.

Council-

Take Diffuse Magic if you are the off tank. It can be used to offset Frostbites from Malakk or the extra frost damage on your other tank.

Take Dampen Harm if you are tanking Malakk + 1.

Tortos -

Use Avert Harm liberally on Quake Stomp, especially on the first one when Melee should still be around you if you are tanking Tortos.

Sadly it feels like, on progression, Monk tanks have a hard time dealing with bats as we're kind of squishy when it comes to hard hitting packs. I would advise that monks are on Tortos whenever possible.

When tanking Tortos try to align your Guard with the Snapping Bite.

Keep in mind if you ever get low and a Snapping Bite is coming in you can always use Zen Meditation for the initial 90% reduction.

Primordius -

• Rushing Jade wind will increase your (already) high dps on the adds. Couple this with the glyph for Spinning crane kick if you have not done so already.
  • He begins to hit very hard at 6+ levels of mutation, I recommend Dampen Harm for this fight.
  • Constant slow movement is great, but if he stops to cast and the purple oozes are coming, remember that provoke gives them a movespeed buff. Use it to clear him from a dangerous spot quickly.

Dark Animus - The most boring fight of the tier

• I chose to take Xuen. Our strat I tanked two at the beginning next to a massive. If you stand in the middle between two of them they won't connect.
  • Dampen Harm is best for this, dark animus hits fairly hard, but you might also use healing brews (I know, I know) if you find it is unnecessary in this 4minute! fight.
  • You can Transcendence out of the Animus Rings every time they are cast. -_-
  • Diffuse Magic does not remove the stacks from the Massive Golems ground slams. :(
Iron Quon - In which the distance of Transcendence shows itself to be just out of reach
  • Tigers Lust will allow you to quickly and easily get out of the vortex for dog #2. Transcendence is just out of reach of the edge, even when glyphed.
  • Glyph Stoneskin. The dogs put Impale bleed on tanks. No reason to take all of that damage. I recommend using it when you get the second stack and tank swap to help the healers while you take 100+k a tick.
Twin Consorts - Too easy
  • Nothing major... My team one shot this after our honorary face pull... so I didn't really try anything interesting.
Lei Shen - Monks are broken
  • Zen Meditation the first Decapitate. Stand on the boss. Enjoy your 200k+ Vengeance.
  • Transcendence is decent if you know in p1 a particular platform is slow to move out of. Grab the boss' attention and port away, and let him follow.
  • Be aware that you do not accidentally roll off the edge. -_-

Council: you can actually use elusive brew to avoid getting 15 stacks, i believe what he meant was you cannot use nimble brew to break the freeze from the 15stacks if your rng sucks while he is applying the debuff use elusive brew on cd to have the best chance. i also suggest charging ox wave for the add, being able to throw that stun out there when it gets too close is a great save. my prefered strat is to have maril while killing sul and use glyphed transendence to keep threat on maril. long as no one has the bright idea to interrupt when they shouldn't the adds will stay where they should, you will give some lovely vengence from marils spells (glyphed guard is nice for this) while nuking sul with vengence, dizzying haze can also be thrown at her for some threat since you are not taking melee dmg to need shuffle. but you must keep an eye on her threat table specificly when she is possesed.

Tortos: add tanking (yes add tanking, because some people don't get how) build shuffle on the boss when you have time, grab the adds with a nice friendly keg to the face, followed by fire for the bonus threat, throw in a blackout kick as you move them back to the feet. now comes the fun part, use charging ox wave, though i suppose leg sweep also works, i just like ox wave for the timer and bats should be following you anyways all nice and lined up (this is assuming your flirting with shuffle time, it works wonders on bats on quake if they last that long), rushing wind, and spin kick like your life depends on it, keep an eye on your remaining shuffle time, if it gets low enough to worry about stop spinning, and start kicking a time or two, keg and fire. all adds should be dead, or majority. remember nimble brew works on quake if you are desperate, and diffuse magic mitigates dmg from the falling stalagmites (which is nature dmg) since there are so many adds dampen harm would be a waste. grab chi burst as well for even more aoe nuke, or you can grab zen sphere if you feel more comfortable.

Magera: i suggest using chi torpedo as opposed to xuen or rushing wind. you can heal yourself and anyone in your way to and from stack points, while xuen likes to sit behind the boss in the water and get knocked back like its his first time on the boss. also when timing your raid cds i prefer to use zen med if i have the hot going into rampage and avert harm coming off the enraged head since its usually blue so no dot counting against your raid cd.

Edited by Drakonis
  • Like 1

I like what Drakonis said in regards to Tortos. I'm also the add tank on that fight and I've seen it done a few ways through the videos. This is how I do it.

Glyphs:

ability_monk_cranekick_new.jpgGlyph of Spinning Crane Kick - This allows you to pick up bats easily and move them back to the boss.

ability_monk_breathoffire.jpgGlyph of Breath of Fire - I love this one and cast breath of fire right before quake comes out. It gives you that extra second to avoid some damage. I wasn't using another Major Glyph and this one worked perfect.

ability_monk_fortifyingale_new.jpgGlyph of Fortifying Brew - Damage reduction is nice.

The talents I specifically used for this was Rushing Jade Wind, Charging Ox Wave, and Zen Sphere.

As soon as I picked up the adds I brought them to the melee and the other tank. I would immediately cast Rushing Jade Wind and go crazy with spins. When they reached around 50% health I would stun them all with the Ox and we usually burned them down before quake came up. If quake did come up I'd use guard to help mitigate any damage.

One other thing I thought of was to spam ability_monk_drunkenhaze.jpgDizzying Haze when all the turtles come out. This will help slow them and to reduce the damage at the end. I'm going to try this next week.

Edited by CrAcKeD

Jin'rokh the Breaker:

You can avoid a lot of raid damage if you start tanking and taunt 1 second before he throws the other tank. That way you wont get additional stacks and you can taunt after removing the stun. Also if you taunt from where you land and just turn him arond your melee dps can profit from the waterpool as soon as it appears.

Horridon

Use Zen Meditation during his Double Swipe even when not tanking to gain lots of Vengance for free.

When tanking adds you can use Clash to pick up Smaller ones and stun the rest in one move.

Tortos

Avert Harm will negate moste of the Stomp damage if you have Shuffle active. Try to have 15 stacks of elusive Brew ready when picking up the bats since avoidence gets most effective while tanking lots of adds.

When tanking the Boss you should use Dizzying Haze on the bats to give the other tank more chance to avoid hits.

Durumu the Forgotten

The Debuff he stacks on you reduces healing taken so purify as often as possible and try to use guard with high amounts of vangance. Use Avert harm to help out the other tank when he's on 4 stacks.

Primordius

Try to get the Fully Mutated buff. Stats, mastery, haste and crit will all greatly boost your survivability.

The dot he stacks on you will give you 20k bonus damage to his adds per stack. This applys to Spinning Crane Kick, so use it to help kill the adds faster.

Dark Animus

You can use your Transcendence to avoid Anima Ring 3 out of 4 times.

Twin Consorts

You can use Touch of Death to oneshot the Beast of Nightmares.

Lei Shen

Provoke will buff his movementspeed so Discharged Energy will do less damage to the raid between conduits.

You can avoid being oneshot by Decapitate if you roll at the exact right moment.

Jin'rokh the Breaker:

You can avoid a lot of raid damage if you start tanking and taunt 1 second before he throws the other tank. That way you wont get additional stacks and you can taunt after removing the stun. Also if you taunt from where you land and just turn him arond your melee dps can profit from the waterpool as soon as it appears.

Horridon

Use Zen Meditation during his Double Swipe even when not tanking to gain lots of Vengance for free.

When tanking adds you can use Clash to pick up Smaller ones and stun the rest in one move.

Tortos

Avert Harm will negate moste of the Stomp damage if you have Shuffle active. Try to have 15 stacks of elusive Brew ready when picking up the bats since avoidence gets most effective while tanking lots of adds.

When tanking the Boss you should use Dizzying Haze on the bats to give the other tank more chance to avoid hits.

Durumu the Forgotten

The Debuff he stacks on you reduces healing taken so purify as often as possible and try to use guard with high amounts of vangance. Use Avert harm to help out the other tank when he's on 4 stacks.

Primordius

Try to get the Fully Mutated buff. Stats, mastery, haste and crit will all greatly boost your survivability.

The dot he stacks on you will give you 20k bonus damage to his adds per stack. This applys to Spinning Crane Kick, so use it to help kill the adds faster.

Dark Animus

You can use your Transcendence to avoid Anima Ring 3 out of 4 times.

Twin Consorts

You can use Touch of Death to oneshot the Beast of Nightmares.

Lei Shen

Provoke will buff his movementspeed so Discharged Energy will do less damage to the raid between conduits.

You can avoid being oneshot by Decapitate if you roll at the exact right moment.

in order. Jinrokh: that is the general idea, however taunting at one second still leaves room for input lag and you can easily end up with the other tank across the room. but taunting and tanking as short as possible would be the idea. popping avoidance also works.

Horridon: this a very odd idea, there would be about 10secs each door where this could be done, ie when he has just gotten there as opposed to mid fight. thing is it is named double strike for a reason and if you have adds on you they will knock you out of zen meditation themselves, so you can start of strong but your vengence will still drop and then you still have zen meditation on cd and if you need it later because the other tank wasn't cleansed, stood in something, a whole multitude of things you now have one less cd which actually provides guaranteed survival verse triple puncture no matter the stacks you are sporting. so i would not use that on a group where you guys are not spot on and know what you are doing, so basicly when you don't need to read this tips and tricks.

avert harm does not work on yourself, i have tried it on a few magic fights and no shuffle so this only helps people near you and it is very likely only to be one or two in range at best, using it when the other tank has bats by you could be viable. dizzying haze is a good idea but remember that you will have all the vengeance and he will not. you can rip threat so very very easily. i don't even touch bats unless he really needs it because dps have died or are slow because the other tank taking some extra dmg from bats is liveable, you taking extra dmg from bats and boss is painful and so extremely dangerous.

Durumu: i time mine for fourth going on 5th, that is if i feel comofortable with my group handling the maze without extra dmg. (which can range from moving into walls or having to walk over puddles.)

Primoridius: you can use your taunt to move him out of oozes faster as well for when he stops to cast, just have to make sure other tank tells you when hes coming to taunt so you stop.

Twin consorts: be aware that anything you do is basicly a heal, i didn't try out all the moves. i think zen sphere only counts against you on application as opposed to the ticks but i haven't tested it thorougly, guard counts, your orbs count, the chi wave, and expel harm. if you can touch of death each time great, but i believe they come to quick for that.

Lei shen: i'm not sure what you are trying to say, that being mid roll makes you dodge his decapitate? i just move with the boss soon as decapitate comes up i roll back towards our last platform while tank moves on to next platform or sits there. make sure to move around the edge. if decapitate comes with a transition then dmg from it is recalculated from his new positition at the center of the room as opposed to where he was.

so i'm back with a vengence, well really just talk about the jinrok heroic fight. so i stayed with a haste over crit build for this so far, i probably have to swap for horridon cause hes evil as i dicovered on my warrrior, but we will see. i went with diffuse magic and tigers lust. tigers lust is not more for the ability to place on players including the off tank if needed or myself if i want to, not cause i say it would be better for this fight. i took xuen as well didn't think the heal from chi torpedo worth it since you really don't want to lose control when those balls are up. i made sure to always place my totem at the next marker to keep guards going and me and the dk played with our talents, well mainly his so we could both sit in pool full time and help dps. while useful the danger is the balls come right from under his well balls so ranged needs to move early. had everyone stack around our next pool point for storm phase so my totem still reached them then i sat on boss, this was both to put out more guards if i can, dps at the least, and move the boss into positiion so i can control pool spawns and the dk doesn't move very fast. (hes new) this where diffuse magic comes in, you can heal yourself but those balls hurt and you are going to out range heals a lil so not being terribly low is good start. it does not block the application of the static debuff just fyi. also soon as the dk taunted i ran 3 secs going fast as i can and then he taunted the boss before it reached me and ams'd the stacks so we could both sit there. i used avert harm around second or third storm. when people stacked more. i didn't weave in zen med personally, got him to 1% with two healers down first before second pool.... yay monk tank guards and chi wave.

oh and to do the run ams crap we started pool on the left pillar by door you need to go toward the pillar north left from door. only way to avoid stacks i have found, maybe gleph of travel or whatever. normal wasn't far enough.

Edited by Drakonis

Well it honestly seems the leads gave up on this but hey for anyone interested who still comes by.

Heroic Ji-kun: still hast over crit baby! 9% mastery on my gear, but if the planets align thats 60% of the dmg as a dot (two set) so i was taking alot more swipes then i should have. highest i got was 5.... yeah i was yelling at that point XD. so basicly depending on your dps i would take either rushing wind to kill adds while you are down there or xuen for more single target dmg. one thing to know for you and healers is the dot applied is nasty and magic (nature to be exact).... so yeah no stagger to help. time any and all elusive brew procs for when hes going to be hitting you, ie if caw, feed young, quils are coming up save the dodge tell after. this does mean your two set will fall off depending how long of a cast phase its going in. so if its a high number ie 3+ keep the two set going. basicly i skipped grabbing the extra food cause it was too chaotic to risk but with haste i made sure i cleared my stagger before and after a strike if i could. essentialy you have to play it extremely close to the vest with haste, you know when the big hits coming and you clear it as its applied. that and be prepared to spam heal, yourself or someone else if the attempts gone bad or you messed up your elusive brew and got /shudder 7 stacks like me. (healed 5 people on a normal after all healers died..... Haste!!!)

Talents: i used dampen harm (saves your ass on talons, but not a must if you can swap on 2 reliably), chi wave, xuen, tigers lust (to speed boost other tank or myself depending).

Glyphs: Enduring sphere, Fortifying Brew, and Spinkick for some odd reason lol. might try breath or something else.

Oh and last minute advice, she will kill a pet if no ones in melee so if you need to and have a pet nearby, lock, hunter, xuen, shaman ele's (sometimes totems..... not sure what the rules are, think it has to be on her threat table with those). have everyone move their ass out and sacrifice the very important raid member :P.

Edited by Drakonis

Horridon:

When tanking Horridon, Elusive Brew is not that useful for double swipes, but T15 bonus you gain after it expires is.

You can time the "Staggering" 12% stagger buff with the double swipes by manually cancelling the elusive brew buff.

The same goes with any boss with strong unavoidable damage spikes (ex: Bite, Talon Rake).

Edited by fredicruga