FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

Throne of Thunder Discipline Priest Style

This thread is meant to collect useful pieces of information for Discipline Priests attempting bosses in the Throne of Thunder. We will add some contributions ourselves and hope that the rest will come from comments in this thread Posted Image

General concerns: Use spell_shadow_soulleech_3.jpgMindbender and spell_holy_powerinfusion.jpgPower Infusion for every fight (unless recommended otherwise). For your glyphs, you will normally use inv_glyph_majorpriest.jpgGlyph of Smite and inv_glyph_majorpriest.jpgGlyph of Holy Fire on every fight. The third glyph choice will usually be between inv_glyph_majorpriest.jpgGlyph of Inner Sanctum and inv_glyph_majorpriest.jpgGlyph of Penance.

Table of Contents

Jin'rokh the Breaker

Useful talents:Useful glyphs:Tips and Tricks:Links:

Horridon

Useful talents:Useful glyphs:Tips and Tricks:
  • On the first set of adds, use spell_holy_dispelmagic.jpgPurify to remove ability_mage_firestarter.jpgBlazing Sunlight.
  • After the first door goes down, you will find Atonement healing is the way to go as Horridon takes additional damage and it increases with each door he closes (50%, 100%, 150%, 200%), so your spell_holy_holysmite.jpgSmite, ability_priest_flashoflight.jpgPower Word: Solace, and spell_holy_penance.jpgPenance spells hit harder and therefore heals are bigger!
  • Using ability_shaman_astralshift.jpgSpirit Shell when you have lots of adds also helps other healers keeping everyone topped up.
Links:

Council of Elders

Useful talents: share your thoughts!

Useful glyphs:

Tips and Tricks:Links:

Tortos

Megaera

Useful talents:Useful glyphs:Tips and Tricks:
  • Use spell_holy_powerwordshield.jpgPower Word: Shield or priest_spell_leapoffaith_a.jpgLeap of Faith on players afflicted with inv_misc_volatilefire.jpgCinders, their running speed will be increased, thanks to spell_holy_symbolofhope.jpgBody and Soul.
  • Use ability_priest_archangel.jpgArchangel+ability_shaman_astralshift.jpgSpirit Shell on every Rampage phase, combined with spell_holy_prayerofhealing02.jpgPrayer of Healing spam. Every other Rampage, combine Shell Spirit with spell_holy_powerinfusion.jpgPower Infusion for some mana saving and better absorbs. Make sure to consult with the other healers to know when to use spell_holy_powerwordbarrier.jpgPower Word: Barrier. Use spell_shadow_soulleech_3.jpgMindbender on cooldown. inv_glyph_majorpriest.jpgGlyph of Power Word: Shield also helps. Finally, you really need to try and benefit from spell_holy_rapture.jpgRapture on cooldown.
  • Towards the end, this fight gets quite mana intensive with all the damage going on. Most groups will group up for the Rampage phases, which is when ideally you'd want to use ability_priest_halo.jpgHalo, but because you're all grouped up, you don't get the best use of it. The lower mana cost and non-range affected healing of spell_priest_divinestar.jpgDivine Star make it a winner! Position yourself at the back of the group to make sure as many people as possible get healed.
  • ability_priest_cascade.jpgCascade is also useful for the end of the fight, since it guarantees to hit all raid members. Proper positioning can be tricky and usage of Divine Star is not always optimal.
Links:

Ji-Kun

Useful glyphs:

Tips and Tricks: share your thoughts!

Links:

Durumu the Forgotten

Useful glyphs:

Tips and Tricks: share your thoughts!

Links:

Primordius

Useful glyphs:

Tips and Tricks:
  • If you're a fan of ability_priest_atonement.jpgAtonement healing, make sure you're fully mutated before you attack the boss; otherwise, attack the adds.
Links:

Dark Animus

Useful glyphs: share your thoughts!

Tips and Tricks:

• When someone gets the spell_nature_massteleport.jpgMatter Swap debuff, spell_holy_powerwordshield.jpgPower Word: Shield them and dispel them EARLY, about 7-8 seconds left on the buff. This causes the majority of the damage to go on the shielded player, and therefore both players take less damage than an even 50-50 split.
  • Once the boss starts using spell_nature_lightningoverload.jpgInterrupting Jolt use ability_shaman_astralshift.jpgSpirit Shell.
Links:

Iron Qon

Useful glyphs:

Tips and Tricks:Links:

Twin Consorts

Lei Shen

Useful glyphs:

inv_glyph_majorpriest.jpgGlyph of Inner Sanctum

• inv_glyph_majorpriest.jpgGlyph of Penance - Replace inv_glyph_majorpriest.jpgGlyph of Holy Fire
  • Tips and Tricks:
    • During the transitions is when you'll do the most work. Make sure if you have static that most of the group you are healing is topped off (ask raid leader to put them in same group for you) and that most everyone has a PW:S.
    • spell_holy_blindingheal.jpgBinding Heal is an awesome spell for this when you need to heal yourself and other people quickly during transitions.
    • During Final Phase you should start rotating everything you have to use on CD. AA, SS, PI, Inner Focus, PoH whenever you can. When the winds are pushing you try to use most of your instance cast abilites to not get too far away from your group. If you feel you need to cast a spell, you CAN cast while being pushed.
    • During Final Phase try to save spell_holy_powerwordbarrier.jpgPower Word: Barrier for the last push of his health. After about 15% HP stop using smite because atonement healing will not keep up with the wind damage.
    Links:

Changelog

• 23 Mar. 2013: Added Brutalpriest's tips for Lei Shen.
    • 23 Mar. 2013: Added Douy's tips for Megaera, Dia's tips for Jin'rokh, ShaieMag's tip for Jin'rokh, Xampas' tips for Tortos, MoacaBogdan's tips for Megaera, and Brutalpriest's tips for most of the fights.
    • 15 Mar. 2013:Added Yetiman's tips for Jin'rokh and Sarkorr's tips for Horridon.
    • 14 Mar. 2013:Added Pallas' tips for Jin'rokh.

Notable talents for Jin'rohk the Breaker is Power Infusion and Power Word: Solace. For glyphs you should prefer your Atonement relevant glyphs such as Glyph of Penance, Glyph of Holy Fire, and Glyph of Smite.

With the Fluidity buff from the water puddles, atonement healing will be nearly double its normal value (+40% damage, and +60% Healing = +100% atonement).

The Lightning Storm phase can be easily handled with Spirit Shell and Prayer of Healing spam for every one.

Edited by Pallas
    • Like 1

Notable talents for Jin'rohk the Breaker is Power Infusion and Power Word: Solace. For glyphs you should prefer your Atonement relevant glyphs such as Glyph of Penance, Glyph of Holy Fire, and Glyph of Smite.

With the Fluidity buff from the water puddles, atonement healing will be nearly double its normal value (+40% damage, and +60% Healing = +100% atonement).

The Lightning Storm phase can be easily handled with Spirit Shell and Prayer of Healing spam for every one.

Thank you, I added your tips to the first post.

• Like 1

Also, for Jin'Rokh, I'd advise, for Tier 6 talents, using DS over Cascade. Halo is generally a big no-no because, when you'd benefit the most from it, is actually the worst time to cast it (during spell_shaman_thunderstorm.jpgLightning Storm). DS will usually pseudo-doubledip while standing in inv_misc_volatilewater.jpgFluidity because it will heal more AND do increased damage.

• Like 1

For Horridon

Talents: Power Word: Solace, Power Infusion

Glyphs: Smite, Penance, Mass dispell

On the first set of adds, having the mass dispell glyph will assist with the the healing as it removes the tick of Farraki Wastewalkers Blazing Sunlight

After the first door goes down, you will find atonement healing the is the way to go as Horridon takes additional damage and increases per door he charges to (50%, 100%, 150%, 200%), so your Smite, Power Word: Solace and Penance spells hit harder and therefore heals are bigger!

Using Spirit Shell when you have lots of adds also helps other healers keeping everyone topped up

Enjoy

• Like 1

Also, for Jin'Rokh, I'd advise, for Tier 6 talents, using DS over Cascade. Halo is generally a big no-no because, when you'd benefit the most from it, is actually the worst time to cast it (during spell_shaman_thunderstorm.jpgLightning Storm). DS will usually pseudo-doubledip while standing in inv_misc_volatilewater.jpgFluidity because it will heal more AND do increased damage.

For Horridon

Talents: Power Word: Solace, Power Infusion

Glyphs: Smite, Penance, Mass dispell

On the first set of adds, having the mass dispell glyph will assist with the the healing as it removes the tick of Farraki Wastewalkers Blazing Sunlight

After the first door goes down, you will find atonement healing the is the way to go as Horridon takes additional damage and increases per door he charges to (50%, 100%, 150%, 200%), so your Smite, Power Word: Solace and Penance spells hit harder and therefore heals are bigger!

Using Spirit Shell when you have lots of adds also helps other healers keeping everyone topped up

Enjoy

Thanks guys! The tips have been added :)

Couple of Suggestions for:

Megaera

Talents:

Body and Soul - allows whoever is inflicted with Cinders to move away that little bit quicker, especially good for when a melee is targeted.

Divine Star - Towards the end, this fight gets quite mana intensive with all the damage going on. Most groups will group up for the Rampage phases, which is when ideally you'd want to use Halo, but because you're all grouped up, you don't get the best use of it. The lower mana cost and non-range affected healing of Divine Star make it a winner for me! I usually position myself at the back of the group to ensure it hits as many people as possible.

• Like 1

Actually I do not agree on using the Solace talent. Holy Fire will also give you atoinment healing, but if you choose Mindbender you can just use it on cooldown and forget about it for the rest of the time. I really don't see why to use Solace here. Divine Star is also only usable on Lightning Storm phase and Cascade is more profitable for the rest of the fight.

And I think it is pretty obvious that you should use Body and Soul talent to help people get from the void zone faster as they get targeted by Focused Lightning.

• Like 1

I don’t play a priest but I know that the big yellow bubble that the raid can stand in that prevents a lot of damage helps on ji rohk lighting storm, it looks like the DK anti magic shell or barrier which ever one goes out that all can stand it

• Like 1

Yes, barrier can and should be used on Lightning storm, staggered with other healing CDs provided by the raid to get through those without losing anyone. 3 minute cooldown allows using it on the 1st and 3rd (or 2nd and 4th) lightning storms. By the time everyone is grouped up, however, they should have a good couple casts of Spirit Shell on them too.

• Like 1

As a priest who has spent a good deal of time with dual healing specs, I really believe this strategy guide shouldn't be combined to allow for both discipline and holy. While some aspects are similar in talents and, to a lesser extent, glyphing, overall strategy can be drastically different. Tips and tricks for when to squeeze in a timely spirit shell are dramitically the opposite from popping Divine Hymn during a high period of raid damage.

• Like 1

I found using Cascade and a glyphed PW:S very useful in Tortos fight, to help during Quake Stomp and Rockfall after.

Just a few seconds before Quake Stomp I SS all groups and we stack at middle for Quake Stomp (PW: Barrier when available).

We spread just after Stomp, to avoid Rockfall, and then Atonement FTW!

For Talents, Power Infusion works fine as big damage spikes are timed.

• Like 1

Actually I do not agree on using the Solace talent. Holy Fire will also give you atoinment healing, but if you choose Mindbender you can just use it on cooldown and forget about it for the rest of the time. I really don't see why to use Solace here. Divine Star is also only usable on Lightning Storm phase and Cascade is more profitable for the rest of the fight.

And I think it is pretty obvious that you should use Body and Soul talent to help people get from the void zone faster as they get targeted by Focused Lightning.

The benefit to using Power Word: Solace is because since this fight is so atonement heavy you should be using your Holy Fire (Solace) every time its off cooldown, about 5 times per minute. This has been proven to provide more mana regeneration (and mana saved from no-cost Holy Fires) than mind bender will (assuming you still use shadowfiend on cooldown of course).

Here's the post regarding Solace VS Mindbender mana regeneration - http://www.howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2693

• Like 1

The benefit to using Power Word: Solace is because since this fight is so atonement heavy you should be using your Holy Fire (Solace) every time its off cooldown, about 5 times per minute. This has been proven to provide more mana regeneration (and mana saved from no-cost Holy Fires) than mind bender will (assuming you still use shadowfiend on cooldown of course).

Here's the post regarding Solace VS Mindbender mana regeneration - http://www.howtoprie...php?f=12&t=2693

Yes, but u cannot actually always cast Solace on cooldown. Theoretically it does give you more mana but in reality there is Lightning Storm and other abilities when you need to do things other than atoinment. Mind bender is easy to use and it doesn't consume so much attention as solace.
    • Like 1

For Magaera, I am using Spirit Shell on every Rampage phase, combined with PoH spam. Every 2nd rampage, I also combine SS with Power Infusion for some mana saving and better absorbs. On 2nd and 5th Rampage using PW:B (other heal cd's used for the rest), Mindbender used on cd. Tried using Solace but during the last 2 heads, the rate at which cinders/ice/poison bomb appeared, I just could not afford to waste a single gcd for solace, so just released mindbender and let him do his thing (right after each Rampage ends). Also glyphed PW:S helps. Also, so far, on this fight more than any other, I really wanted to benefit from Rapture on cd.

Edit: Lvl 90 talent I used Cascade since there is a lot of damage in the later stages of the fight, and Cascade is the only talent which almost entirely guarantees it will hit all raid members, since Halo and DS are dependant on positioning, which can be tricky on this fight.

Tip: If your healing team has MW monk or resto druid, you might be better off just spamming PW:S on everyone during Rampage and let the good AoE throughput heals from the others top the raid. I have to mention that this is untested for me, nor am I sure how mana effective this strategy is, but it might be worth a shot.

Edited by MoacaBogdan
    • Like 1

For Magaera

Tip: If your healing team has MW monk or resto druid, you might be better off just spamming PW:S on everyone during Rampage and let the good AoE throughput heals from the others top the raid. I have to mention that this is untested for me, nor am I sure how mana effective this strategy is, but it might be worth a shot.

This is not mana efficient because you should really only using power word: shield when you have rapture up. You will blow through way too much mana with your strat. Don't get me wrong, it would be great if pw: shield wasn't such a mana dump but blizzard hates priests and enjoys nerfing us to the ground.

• Like 1

This post is for disc priests. I am currently 11/12 so that is what I will comment on.

I recommend using Solace and Insanity, and Power Infusion for every fight.

I use Glyph of Smite and Holy Fire for every fight. The third glyph is usually Inner Sanctum, but I understand that many are a big fan of Glyph of Penance. PENANCE ON BOSSES, NOT PLAYERS; if you are a priest, it is not your job to tank heal.

Jin'Rokh is covered well, go full attonement healing.

Horridon: 3rd glyph possibility of Glyph of Purify. If you're using Mass Dispell you're wasting a lot of mana >_> Don't use or glyph for it, the first phase is laughably easy anyway. Remember that you can Attonement heal against the boss for more and more healing as the fight goes on, thanks to the permenant 50% damage taken buff he gets after each gate he destroys.

Council of Elders. Spirit Shell for the sandstorms =/ I recommend Glyph of Inner Sanctum. You're going to want to use most of your healing cooldowns on cooldown. Archangel, Cascade (or halo), Power Infusion. Consider helping the dps with the Loas. Save Pain Sup for your tank during sandstorm, whichever is holding the sand adds. Use barrier for Empowered ice man's Frostbite debuff, or on roll man's damage reflection.

Tortos. Spirit Shell the Quake Stomps. Fade every time bats come out. Glyph of Inner Fire is a possibility if you don't like Glyph of Penance.

Megaera. Glyph of Inner Sanctum isn't a bad idea. Try to work out a defensive cooldown rotation with your other raid members so you always have _something_ during the Rampages. Archangel + Spirit shell during EVERY Rampage, and use Power Infusion for every second rampage.

Ji-Kun. If you're going with the hatchling killing team, drop Glyph of Holy Fire for Glyph of Binding Heal. If you're on Ji-kun, it's wise to pick up Glyph of Penance as you will be moving somewhat frequently.

Durumu. If you have Glyph of Holy Fire, You can stack with the Blue Beam player and still attack the red fogs wherever they are. Also, consider Glyph of Penance for the maze phases.

Primordius. If you're a fan of Attonement healing, make sure you're fully mutated before you attack the boss; otherwise, attack the adds. Glyph of Inner Sanctum is a good idea for this fight, as is Glyph of Penance if you want to attack the boss.

Dark Animus. My guild did the strategy of fully filling up all 3 disabled Large golems, and fully filling up one Massive golem (leaving the other unpowered, and all Large golems unpowered.) When someone gets the Matter Swap debuff, PW:Shield them and dispell them EARLY, about 7-8 seconds left on the buff. This causes the majority of the damage to go on the Shielded player, and therefore both players take less damage than an even 50-50 split. Once the boss starts using Interupting Jolt use Spirit Shell.

Iron Qon. Glyph of Inner Sanctum. This fight is BRUTAL on your mana. In every phase he's damaging the raid significantly. Glyph of Inner Sanctum is highly recommended. For Wind, Ice, and Solo phases Archangel + Spirit Shell on cooldown and use PoM on CD as well.

Twin Consorts. Glyph of inner Sanctum is handy. Whenever Suen is active (which should be phase 2 and 3, if she's not killed in p3 gquit because your raid leader is an idiot), Archangel + Spirit Shell on cooldown, suppliment with Power Infusion to reduce mana costs. Phase 1, make sure to PW:Shield tanks affected by the Beast (watch dbm, or have the tanks call it out.) Attonement heals that hit the affected tank cause the beast's debuff, PW:Shield does not.

Lei Shen. Glyph of Inner Sanctum is definately the way to go. Sacrifice Glyph of Holy Fire for Glyph of Penance, you'll want it during the final phase. It's during the transitions that you will work hard: if you are in one of the 2-man groups, make sure for Static (the stack and take damage) that both you and the other guy are competely topped off, and PW:Shielded. Make good use of Binding Heal during transition phases.

During final phase expect utter chaos. Use everything you have on cooldown, Archangel, spirit shell, Power Infusion, Inner Focus, Prayer of Healing whenever you can. When you need to run (and you will run, a lot), use Penance, Holy Fire/PW:Solace, Cascade, PW:Shield, PoM. Save Barrier for the last push of his health. The last 50m (15%) or so of his health stop using Smite, it just won't keep up with the wind damage.

Edited by Brutalpriest
    • Like 1

I recommend using Mindbender and Power Infusion for every fight (if anyone uses solace and insanity as a disc priest you deserve a gkick.)

Please elaborate....

Thank you everyone! It took me some time, but I've finally added all the tips. Also, I've made a separate Holy thread, as was requested :)

Because I did not proofread very well, I misspoke on a few lines. I have corrected in my edit, but... /shrug

If you're a fan of (not penance, but ==>) Attonement healing, (not penance but ==>)Attonement heals that hit the affected tank cause the beast's debuff, PW:Shield does not.

Because I did not proofread very well, I misspoke on a few lines. I have corrected in my edit, but... /shrug

If you're a fan of (not penance, but ==>) Attonement healing, (not penance but ==>)Attonement heals that hit the affected tank cause the beast's debuff, PW:Shield does not.

I edited the main post to atonement healing. Thank you for pointing it out :)

Solace and insanity gives almost nothing to disc priests. It's better suited for holy, who gain the attonement-like heal as well.

As others have already stated, solace is substantially better than mindbender in terms of mana gains (holy fire costs 5400 while solace is free) on any fight where you're using HF frequently. Solace is not nearly as useful for holy as for disc as you're not casting HF to begin with in holy and the gcd could be used elsewhere.

Edited by Crzed
    • Like 2

Solace and insanity gives almost nothing to disc priests. It's better suited for holy, who gain the attonement-like heal as well.

Power Word: Solace is intended as a mana regen/mana conservation ability (which is why its on the talent tier with the other mana abilities). As i stated previously it does greatly improve mana when used appropriately, by both conserving mana which would be used on Holy Fire, and giving more regen than mind bender would. If you are not able to remember to cast this instant cast spell every 10 seconds, well then mindbender would be a more appropriate choice. But if you can manage this level of play style its more beneficial.
    • Like 1

You've piqued my interest. Let's do some calculations.

Assumption 1: you cast PW:Solace or holy fire every 10 seconds, so 18 times every 3 minutes.

Assumption 2: you use mindbender or shadowfeind on cooldown (3x per 3 minutes, or 1x per 3 minutes.)

Assumption 3: Mindbender will attack 12 times per summon. Shadow fiend will attack 8 times per summon.

Assumption 4: Evangelism x5. (archangel will cause one non-5 holy fire at most per use so i'm ignoring it.)

holy fire costs 3780 mana(evangelism), but talented is free and gives you 3000 mana, a difference of 6780 mana, x18 is 122040 mana per 3 minutes because of PW:solace.

Mindbender/shadowfiend. Mindbender returns about 4383 per attack. x12 (12 attacks) 52596 per summon, x3(3 summons per 3 minutes) is 157788. Shadowfiend returns 9000 per attack, x8 (8 attacks) 72000 per summon. Mindbender above shadowfiend is 157788-72000 = 85788

122040 solace per 3 minutes compared to 85788 mindbender per 3 minutes

So it seems that Solace is, in fact, the better choice. Thank you for challenging my beliefs =)

If someone can double check my calculations I would appreciate it.

Edited by Brutalpriest
    • Like 1