FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

Throne of Thunder Shadow Priest Style

This thread is meant to collect useful pieces of information for Shadow Priests attempting bosses in the Throne of Thunder. We will add some contributions ourselves and hope that the rest will come from comments in this thread Posted Image

Table of Contents

Jin'rokh the Breaker

Useful talents:Useful glyphs:Tips and Tricks:
  • Pay attention to the tank's positioning and move fast to the correct statue, to benefit from Conductive Waters as soon as possible.
  • Make sure you have a full set of 3 Shadow orbs and are in the Conductive Waters before unleashing spell_shadow_devouringplague.jpgDevouring Plague to buff spell_shadow_devouringplague.jpgDevouring Plague (combine with Heroism/Bloodlust and potion if possible).
  • Use the spell_holy_powerwordshield.jpgPower Word: Shield on yourself to speed yourself up when kiting the Focused Lightning orb (thanks to spell_holy_symbolofhope.jpgBody and Soul.
  • Be prepared to use priest_spell_leapoffaith_a.jpgLeap of Faith to get slow allies out of the Electrified Waters.
  • Use spell_holy_powerinfusion.jpgPower Infusion when you are benifiting from inv_misc_volatilewater.jpgFluidity. Preferably when you can stand in the pool for 20 seconds without interruption.
  • spell_shadow_unsummonbuilding.jpgVampiric Embrace, ability_priest_halo.jpgHalo, and spell_holy_prayerofmendingtga.jpgPrayer of Mending are useful during spell_shaman_thunderstorm.jpgLightning Storm, depending on healer needs.
Links:

Horridon

• Apply dots to each add as it comes in, and keep dots up on Horridon when adds are under control. Many of the lesser adds will die before they need to be reapplied. This will provide enough procs fromspell_holy_surgeoflight.jpgFrom Darkness, Comes Light and spell_priest_burningwill.jpgDivine Insight to be preferable to the new Insanity build while dealing with the troll doors.
  • The instant casts from talent procs, in addition to the inv_glyph_majorpriest.jpgGlyph of Mind Flay and spell_holy_symbolofhope.jpgBody and Soul, provide much needed mobility to escape ground effects and move between doors without wasting GCDs.
  • spell_holy_symbolofhope.jpgBody and Soul is perfect for directing Horridon's Charge away from the rest of the raid, or to escape one that has been poorly placed by a raid member.
  • ability_priest_halo.jpgHalo is great towards the end of each door phase, when healers need the most help and there are lots of targets available.
  • During the Farraki door, spell_arcane_massdispel.jpgMass Dispel can be used to aid healers if they get behind on ability_mage_firestarter.jpgBlazing Sunlight dispels. Remind them that it is available if needed.
  • During the Gurubashi door, use ability_priest_silence.jpgSilence(and bonus points for spell_shadow_teleport.jpgArcane Torrent, if you're a Blood Elf) to help interrupt the very painful ability_creature_poison_02.jpgVenom Bolt Volley that Gurubashi Venom Priests and Venomous Effusions cast. Controlling this spell is likely the most important add mechanic in the fight in terms of raid survival. Effusions in particular are more likely to go uniterrupted since interrupters are usually focused on the Venom Priests, especially in 10-mans.
Links:

Council of Elders

• Although this fight provides multi-dot targets at first, your focus should be single target dps on the empowered boss. Insanity is the talent build of choice. This is reinforced by the periodic loss of secondary targets and multiple execute phases. Damage can be very high with all 4 bosses up, so survivability will play an important role.
  • Since there are a lot of things going on in this fight, there are a lot of things in our toolbox that can help deal with fight mechanics.
  • Unglyphed spell_shadow_siphonmana.jpgMind Flay is an excellent slow for Mar'li's Loa adds. Void Tendrils, even better. Avoidinv_glyph_majorpriest.jpgGlyph of Mind Flay if Loa adds are regularly reaching their targets.
  • Use spell_magic_lesserinvisibilty.jpgFade frequently to make the most of the glyphed damage reduction. Taking the ability_priest_phantasm.jpgPhantasmtalent will let Fade get you out of Sul's Quicksand and remove its slow/snare debuffs.
  • When Kazra'jin is empowered, using a glyphed spell_magic_lesserinvisibilty.jpgFade and a spell_holy_powerwordshield.jpgPower Word: Shield before spell_shadow_devouringplague.jpgDevouring Plague and spell_shadow_siphonmana.jpgMind Flay (Insanity) will provide the most protection from his damage reflection while you're bursting.
  • Use spell_shadow_unsummonbuilding.jpgVampiric Embrace and spell_holy_prayerofmendingtga.jpgPrayer of Mending during Kazra'jin's empowered phase to help your healers out. These spells are also great for spell_sandstorm.jpgSandstormdamage and any time a boss reaches full energy.
  • Use spell_shadow_dispersion.jpgDispersionwhen you are the initial target of Frost King Malakk's empowered spell_mage_frostbomb.jpgFrostbite, as this is usually when you will experience the most burst damage on yourself until raid members are in range to share the damage. Can be useful for ability_deathknight_remorselesswinters2.Biting Cold or spell_sandstorm.jpgSandstorm if your health is low.
  • priest_spell_leapoffaith_a.jpgLeap of Faith can be used to quickly retrieve a Frostbite target if they are stuck behind/in quicksand or are too far away from the group to survive the initial ticks. Also useful for grabbing Shadowed Loa Spirit targets that aren't paying attention.
Links:

Tortos

Useful talents: share your thoughts!

Useful glyphs: share your thoughts!

Tips and Tricks: share your thoughts!

Links:

Megaera

Links:

Ji-Kun

Useful talents:Useful glyphs:Tips and Tricks:Links:

Durumu the Forgotten

Links:

Primordius

Links:

Dark Animus

Links:

Iron Qon

Links:

Twin Consorts

Links:

Lei Shen

Links:

Changelog

• 24 Mar. 2013: Added MoacaBogdan's tips for Ji-Kun.
  • 24 Mar. 2013: Added Karmin's tips for Jin'rokh, Horridon and Council of Elders.
  • 15 Mar. 2013: Added Karmin's tips for Jin'rokh.

Jin'rok the Breaker

Talents: Body & Soul, Solace and Insanity (Very Nice in the water) Twist of Fate, Halo (to off heal others)

Glyphs: Glyph of Dark Binding, Mind Spike & Mind Flay

Tips:

Pay attention to the tanks positioning and move fast to the correct pillar.

Make sure you have a full set of 3 shadow orbs and are in the water before unleashing Insanity Mind Flay (combine with hero and potion if possible)

Use Body and Soul Shield to speed yourself up to get rid of Focused Lightning.

Be prepared to life-grip slow allies out of electrified water.

• Like 2

Jin'rok the Breaker

Talents: Body & Soul, Solace and Insanity (Very Nice in the water) Twist of Fate, Halo (to off heal others)

Glyphs: Glyph of Dark Binding, Mind Spike & Mind Flay

Tips:

Pay attention to the tanks positioning and move fast to the correct pillar.

Make sure you have a full set of 3 shadow orbs and are in the water before unleashing Insanity Mind Flay (combine with hero and potion if possible)

Use Body and Soul Shield to speed yourself up to get rid of Focused Lightning.

Be prepared to life-grip slow allies out of electrified water.

Many thanks! Your tips have been added to the guide :)

Hope this is helpful. Written from a 10-man normal perspective, your experience may vary.

Karmin's tips for Jin'rokh the Breaker are pretty spot on, with two exceptions. Glyph of Mind Spike is not really useful in this fight since there is no reason to cast Mind Spike, but there aren't many attractive alternatives. Inner Sanctum or Fade will offer some damage reduction. Twist of Fate is not as powerful as using Power Infusion, which can easily be used while benefiting from the pool buff. Twist of Fate is further diminished if the boss drops below 20% shortly after a Lightning Storm, when there are no pools available. Also, Vampiric Embrace, Halo, and Prayer of Mending are useful during Lightning Storm, depending on healer needs.

Horridon:

Important Talents: Body and Soul, From Darkness Comes Light, Divine Insight, Halo

Helpful Glyphs: Mind Flay, Dark Binding

Tips:

Apply dots to each add as it comes in, and keep dots up on Horridon when adds are under control. Many of the lesser adds will die before they need to be reapplied. This will provide enough procs from From Darkness Comes Light and Divine Insight to be preferable to the new Insanity build while dealing with the troll doors.

The instant casts from talent procs, in addition to the Glyph of Mind Flay and Body and Soul, provide much needed mobility to escape ground effects and move between doors without wasting GCDs.

Body and Soul is perfect for directing Horridon's Charge away from the rest of the raid, or to escape one that has been poorly placed by a raid member.

Halo is great towards the end of each door phase, when healers need the most help and there are lots of targets available.

During the Farraki door, Mass Dispel can be used to aid healers if they get behind on Blazing Sunlight dispels. Remind them that it is available if needed.

During the Gurubashi door, use Silence (and bonus points for Arcane Torrent, if you're a Blood Elf) to help interrupt the very painful Venom Bolt Volleys that Gurubashi Venom Priests and Venomous Effusions cast. Controlling this spell is likely the most important add mechanic in the fight in terms of raid survival. Effusions in particular are more likely to go uniterrupted since interrupters are usually focused on the Venom Priests, especially in 10-mans.

Council of Elders

Talents: Void Tendrils, Phantasm, Solace and Insanity, Power Infusion, Halo

Glyphs: Fade, Dark Binding

Although this fight provides multi-dot targets at first, your focus should be single target dps on the empowered boss. Insanity is the talent build of choice. This is reinforced by the periodic loss of secondary targets and multiple execute phases. Damage can be very high with all 4 bosses up, so survivability will play an important role.

Tips:

Since there are a lot of things going on in this fight, there are a lot of things in our toolbox that can help deal with fight mechanics.

Unglyphed Mind Flay is an excellent slow for Mar'li's Loa adds. Void Tendrils, even better. Avoid Glyph of Mind Flay if Loa adds are regularly reaching their targets.

Use Fade frequently to make the most of the glyphed damage reduction. Taking the Phantasm talent will let Fade get you out of Sul's Quicksand and remove its slow/snare debuffs.

When Kazra'jin is empowered, using a glyphed Fade and a Power Word: Shield just before Devouring Plague and Mind Flay (Insanity) will provide the most protection from his damage reflection while you're bursting.

Use Vampiric Embrace and Prayer of Mending during Kazra'jin's empowered phase to help your healers out. These spells are also great for Sandstorm damage and any time a boss reaches full energy.

Use Dispersion when you are the initial target of Frost King Malakk's empowered Frostbite, as this is usually when you will experience the most burst damage on yourself until raid members are in range to share the damage. Can be useful for Biting Cold or Sandstorm if your health is low.

Leap of Faith can be used to quickly retrieve a Frostbite target if they are stuck behind/in quicksand or are too far away from the group to survive the initial ticks. Also useful for grabbing Shadowed Loa Spirit targets that aren't paying attention.

• Like 1

Jin'rokh

I would suggest, Body and Soul, Solace and Insanity, Power Infusion, and Halo. The main reason to change to Power Infusion is that is generally a more powerful talents, and it works really well with the pools. With a pools being destroyed every 90 sec you should get at least 2 uses out of it. It should be used right before a 3 orb Devouring Plague in a pool, hopefully with a pot and hero. This will provide a huge dps burst.

I would also like to suggest that Glyph of Inner Sanctum be used instead of Glyph of Mind Spike, since it is unlikely there will be a reason to be cast Mind Spike, and the extra survivability will assist in surviving the lightning storms.

[...]

Added your tips to the first post, keep them going.

[...]

Since Suzoku already mentioned your tips, they're added as well.

Got to kill Ji'Kun as shadow last night.

Glyph Dispersion for a faster survival cd, and possibility of soaking the Feed Young green puddles more often.

Glyph of Vampiric Embrace + Solace and Insanity (cast at 3 orbs) worked wonders as a healing cooldown for 2 separate Quill casts.

Body and Soul + Glyph of Inner Sanctum should be combined with PW:S for the extra speed boost during Down Draft. Angelic Feather was too unreliable for me since it required 3 gcd's , which would have been better used as DPS uptime.

Found Angelic Bulwark to be a good "not die" talent during quills, since I was timing DP(3orbs) during quills damage.

Divine Insight for chances at quicker Mind Blast = faster 3orb DP = quicker succession of Solace and Insanity = more DPS yay + higher chance of timing all cd's for quills.

Halo used for quite good raid healing + DPS, again during quills as much as possible.

• Like 1

Got to kill Ji'Kun as shadow last night.

Glyph Dispersion for a faster survival cd, and possibility of soaking the Feed Young green puddles more often.

Glyph of Vampiric Embrace + Solace and Insanity (cast at 3 orbs) worked wonders as a healing cooldown for 2 separate Quill casts.

Body and Soul + Glyph of Inner Sanctum should be combined with PW:S for the extra speed boost during Down Draft. Angelic Feather was too unreliable for me since it required 3 gcd's , which would have been better used as DPS uptime.

Found Angelic Bulwark to be a good "not die" talent during quills, since I was timing DP(3orbs) during quills damage.

Divine Insight for chances at quicker Mind Blast = faster 3orb DP = quicker succession of Solace and Insanity = more DPS yay + higher chance of timing all cd's for quills.

Halo used for quite good raid healing + DPS, again during quills as much as possible.

Thanks! It's all been added, except for

I didn't get what the relation one between the two parts of the sentence.

Thanks! It's all been added, except for

I didn't get what the relation one between the two parts of the sentence.

Yeah, I wasn't very clear on that bit. I wanted to say that the other talent which I considered, Desperate Prayer. was unnedeed because of the decent healing I was getting through DP, and I had 1 less button to worry about :).

Yeah, I wasn't very clear on that bit. I wanted to say that the other talent which I considered, Desperate Prayer. was unnedeed because of the decent healing I was getting through DP, and I had 1 less button to worry about Posted Image.

I get it, thanks :)

My 2 (euro)cents for Durumu:

- Glyph of Inner Sanctum + Body and Soul + PW:S for a speed boost in order to get in position to drop Lingering Gaze, get into Disintegration Beam initial position, or move in to soak Life Drain and of course running through the maze in the ranged group (PW:S not needed for this last bit, could easily outrun it just with Inner Will active + Pandaren Step enchant)

- Kept Divine Insight + Solace and Insanity + Glyph of VE during "down-times" on colorblind phase 2 and 3 (between Life Drains, when I could afford to stay relatively still)

- Glyph of Dark Binding for the extra bit of healing on Disintegration beam without cancelling shadow form (keep PoM on cd during the running since there is random damage).

- Saw that I was able to outrun the beam, and that gave me enough time to keep VT up on Durumu for the most part of the maze phase; got a kill before I could try it out, but an option would be to replace Solace and Insanity with FDCL, and throw in some extra Spikes there for good measure while running.

Edit: Using Dispersion right before maze closes, until we have a clear maze start, since people tend to die during those first 2 seconds before the beam becomes active. Does not need to be glyphed, since there are more than 2 minutes between 2 beam phases.

Edited by MoacaBogdan

Lei Shen:

Oh boy, this was a tough one. Lots of movement involved, making me not able to fully use the benefit of Solace on this fight (Thunderstruck every time I got to 3 orbs). This is one fight where I think the T15 2/4p bonus will really come in handy.

Body and Soul to bubble yourself for moving away from Thunderstruck/LoF Decapitate tank.

Angelic Bulwark to mitigate burst damage from static shock (Conduits increase 1 level each during transition phases, so static shock damage is noticeable now)and Violent Gale Winds. Glyph Dispersion so you can solo soak static shock if it is cast on you, also helping healers during the intense healing of P3(I know DPS will drop, since it's a burn phase, but it sure beats being dead).

Glyph Inner Sanctum and Dark Binding as well (PoM on cd during moving between conduits and P3, helpfull in P2 and intermissions). Don't be shy about Binding Heal/Flash Heal during intermissions, I know BH saved our lives on at least one occasion.

Power Infusion on cd, try to time it right after getting 3 orbs if going with Solace (+VE for some much needed healing in P3), almost imperative to have PI + Hero in P3, to get the absolute best out of your DPS there.

Finally found the perfect use for Divine Star, especially after the start of P2, when we stack on boss to AoE down the Ball Lightning.

All in all, one of the (if not THE) most challenging fights I've had the pleasure of experiencing, and it will push any player, regardless of class, to their limit.

Edited by MoacaBogdan

Twin Consorts:

Easy fight, just get the best single target talents/glyphs. I had Solace, Angelic Bulwark, PI, Halo,Body and Soul, Mind Spike glyphed/

Lu'Lin phase, just doing as much single target damage as I could while prepotting, using everything at my disposal.

Angelic Bulwark MIGHT be better than Desperate Prayer for handling the sun phase AoE damage, as well as glyphed dispersion for tidal waves. This is untested, since I only have 1 kill at the moment, and I spent Day phase and Break of Dusk phase running around painting celestials signs, so I avoided most of the important mechanics.

Break of Dusk was still active after I finished my celestial runs, so I used 2nd pot and again tunnel-visioned Suen.

...Glyph Dispersion so you can solo soak static shock if it is cast on you

Whether you glyph dispersion or not, you can still solo soak static shock. Glyph of Disperion only reduces the CD by 15 seconds making the cooldown 1 minute and 45 seconds. If anything, due to RNG, you can get two static shocks well before the 1 minute and 45 second cooldown (glyphed) is up. When I was hit with two static shocks relatively close during the transition phase, I dispersed the first one, and used Fade (glyphed) with the prot pallys sac, and my pw: shield to survive the second with him stacking on me.

For Horridon:

Twist of Fate is a much better talent than Divine Insight but it does require a higher skill cap. If you use it right, you definitely do a lot more DPS with Insanity/ToF over FDCL/ToF. With the number of adds on this fight, you should have no problems generating shadow orbs with SW: Death.

For Tortos:

Insanity and Twist of Fate is the higher dps combo. You can use the Whirling Turtles and the Bats to proc ToF and use Insanity to either burn down Whirling Turtles or dps Tortos after interrupting his Furious Stone Breath.

For Megaera:

Insanity and Power Infusion. Also use Glyph of Mass Dispel. There's no reason why a healer needs to dispel Cinders off of you.

For Ji-Kun:

Insanity and Power Infusion if you're on the platform. If you are part of the "nest group" Insanity and Twist of Fate could be just as viable.

Glyph of Fade provides more survivability than Glyph of Inner Sanctum.

Divine Insight is a terrible talent for this fight. Actually, I never use Divine Insight on any fight. The burst from Insanity/Power Infusion is just too high to go without it.

For Durumu:

Insanity and Power Infusion.

Glyph of Mind Flay is handy for the Eye Sore phase. Allows you to get some dps in and maintain your dots while having more access to a speed boost especially when your PW: Shield is on CD. I know that the beam moved faster than your character so a speed boost was required but I believe it was just hotfixed.

For Primordius:

Since you're really only dpsing him while you're mutated, I go with Insanity and Power Infusion but you can get high uptime with Twist of Fate with this fight as well. Cascade is a must since there will always be targets at max range, it will come out to be one of your top damaging spells.

For Dark Animus:

Insanity and Power Infusion, since you pretty much just stand there and burn Animus down.

For Iron Qon:

Insanity and Power Infusion. Although there are multiple targets, you are fighting them one after the other, so it's still a single-target fight.

For Twin Consorts:

Insanity and Power Infusion. I would go with Divine Star over Halo because you'll have better control over your targets. You don't want to use Halo or Cascade and risk healing the tank that has Beast of Nightmares

For Lei Shen:

Insanity for sure. Either Twist of Fate or Power Infusion. Just to make my life easier, I go with Power Infusion, but you can definitely pull just as good dps, if not higher, with ToF.

EDIT: Adding comment for Ji-Kun. I don't agree with this statement

"Body and Soul (Posted ImageAngelic Feather is too unrealiable and it requires to spend global cooldowns to use)"

You would need to use a global cooldown to use body and soul (casting pw: shield) also so that doesn't make one better than the other. Also, you can easily drop a feather behind you to where you are being pushed and get the speed boost for 6 seconds rather than 4. I prefer Angelic Feathers because the speed boost lasts longer. But if you position yourself near the boss before he does down draft, body and soul will be enough.

Angelic Feathers also lets you help out your raid members since you have 3 charges or you can use 2 for yourself where with body and soul you can't reapply the speed boost because of weakened soul. Chaining 2 feathers together for 12 seconds is better than a 4 second speed boost within a 15 second time frame.

Edited by Yuna

on jin'rokh 25 man if your healers are struggling during lightning storm i believe divine star will be far more beneficial than halo because of the close proximity of the raid , halo may have higher damage but from a healing perspective divine star will shine if your raid needs help healing rather than damage to beat the time limitations

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but on Megera, if you take Divine Insight with Solace and Insanity, and for example your doing green-red-green-red, etc you can keep only Shadow Word: Pain on Blue and enjoy procs on your main target head.

In Tortos I'd recommend Glyph of inner fire which Increases the armour gained from Inner Fire by 50%.

This is because on Tortos the Quake stomp ability and whirl turtles do physical damage making the glyph more useful then the glyph of inner sanctum (spell damage reduction) as rockfall and Furious stone breath which both deal nature damage can largely avoidable.

I would recommend the glyph of inner fire on Ji-kun as it reduces physical damage, this is very nice when you consider Caw, Quills and cheep are all physical damage attacks.

During Durumu the forgotten I would recommend Taking the talent Divine Insight as you will have instant cast procs to cast in the maze phase when there is high movement.

It is possible to use Power infusion as long as it is cast very early into the fight (before you generate 3 shadow orbs) else it will come off cooldown and clash with the maze phase where you can not you will be unable to stand still and channel MF:I

Iron Qon

I would recommend using angelic feathers which can be pre-set before the fight similar to a warlocks portal allowing raid members an easier and quicker time escaping during the whirlwind phase.