FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

Throne of Thunder Warrior DPS Style

This thread is meant to collect useful pieces of information for Arms and Fury Warriors attempting bosses in the Throne of Thunder. We will add some contributions ourselves and hope that the rest will come from comments in this thread Posted Image

Table of Contents

Jin'rokh the Breaker

Useful talents:Useful glyphs:Tips and Tricks:
  • This fight is rather easy as a melee DPS.
  • Use all your offensive cooldowns while standing in Conductive Waters.
  • Ask your healers or raid leader on which spell_shaman_thunderstorm.jpgLightning Storm to use ability_toughness.jpgRallying Cry and demoralizing_banner.jpgDemoralizing Banner (you can use them every other Lightning Storm).
Links:

Horridon

• Use warrior_disruptingshout.jpgDisrupting Shout if the Venomous Effusions start getting of control. You can also use it as a backup interrupt for spell_nature_healingwavelesser.jpgDino-Mending.
  • ability_warrior_bladestorm.jpgBladestorm can be useful to AoE down the Trolls left after a door has closed, although ability_warrior_dragonroar.jpgDragon Roar works just as well.
  • Every time you interrupt one of the adds, inv_glyph_majorwarrior.jpgGlyph of Rude Interruption will give you increased damage for 20 seconds.
  • You can and should disarm the Frozen Warlords on the 3rd door and War God Jalak in the last phase, as this will greatly reduce tank damage.
Links:

Council of Elders

• Be aware of your health when attacking Empowered Kazra'jin.
Links:

Tortos

• If ranged need help killing the first turtle in time for interrupt, you can DPS the turtles from max distance and not get knocked back.
  • Save your cooldowns for when Tortos has the priest_icon_chakra_green.jpgShell Concussion debuff on him.
Links:

Megaera

• Change stance to ability_racial_avatar.jpgBerserker Stance during Rampage to maximize rage generation. Have the raid stack near the next head you're killing during rampage so melee can keep dpsing.
  • Depending on your raid's DPS, you should have ability_toughness.jpgRallying Cry and demoralizing_banner.jpgDemoralizing Banner up for rouhgly every other Rampage. Either alternate them with someone else that has defensive cool downs (another warrior or a rogue for ability_rogue_smoke.jpgSmoke Bomb) or alternate using one and then the other to mitigate a bit each rampage.
Links:

Ji-Kun

Useful talents: share your thoughts!

Useful glyphs: share your thoughts!

Tips and Tricks:

• Stay spread out at least 8 yards from other players.
  • Use ability_toughness.jpgRallying Cry or demoralizing_banner.jpgDemoralizing Banner during ability_hunter_pet_dragonhawk.jpgQuills. You can set up a cooldown rotation with other warriors or your healers.
  • As long as you have your ability_priest_angelicfeather.jpgDaedalian Wings to fly, stand in front of the boss to DPS it - it may sound counter-intuitive, but it is much easier to catch additional inv_misc_food_vendor_greenfishbonescurryPrimal Nutriment if you are in front of the boss.
  • The boss always releases two waves of inv_misc_slime_01.jpgFeed Young in quick succession if you miss the first one stay in the air to catch the second one.
  • Save your major DPS cooldowns for when you have the inv_misc_food_vendor_greenfishbonescurryPrimal Nutriment buff on you. Try not to overlap them with ability_druid_galewinds.jpgDown Draft however.
  • If your raid has trouble with too many slime pools on the platform, it is your duty as a durable DPS class to soak some of the pools.
  • Make sure to switch to ability_racial_avatar.jpgBerserker Stance during ability_hunter_pet_dragonhawk.jpgQuills and when you soak pools.
Links:

Durumu the Forgotten

Tips and Tricks: share your thoughts!

Links:

Primordius

Links:

Dark Animus

Links:

Iron Qon

Links:

Twin Consorts

Links:

Lei Shen

Links:

Changelog

• 4 Apr. 2013: Added sunevora's tips for Ji-Kun.
  • 28 Mar. 2013: Added Kortosis' tips for the first 5 bosses.
  • 24 Mar. 2013: Added sajakain's mention of inv_glyph_majorwarrior.jpgGlyph of Rude Interruption for Horridon.
  • 15 Mar. 2013: Added ragebarr tips for Jin'rokh and Horridon.
  • Like 1

Jin'rohk: This fight is a target dummy. Use your standard DPS talents, and pop all offensive CD's while in a pool. Remember to ask your healers or raid leader on which thunderstorm they want you to use Rallying cry and Demo Banner. (you can use them every other thunderstorm).

Horridon: Fun fight, have not downed him yet, will update if I get the kill tonight. In the meantime: Disrupting Shout is OP if effusions start to get out of control on the 2nd door, and to have a backup interrupt on the Dino. Bladestorm can be useful to AoE to adds at the end of each door, though DR does just fine also.

Will update as I kill more.

-Rage

Jin'rohk: This fight is a target dummy. Use your standard DPS talents, and pop all offensive CD's while in a pool. Remember to ask your healers or raid leader on which thunderstorm they want you to use Rallying cry and Demo Banner. (you can use them every other thunderstorm).

Horridon: Fun fight, have not downed him yet, will update if I get the kill tonight. In the meantime: Disrupting Shout is OP if effusions start to get out of control on the 2nd door, and to have a backup interrupt on the Dino. Bladestorm can be useful to AoE to adds at the end of each door, though DR does just fine also.

Will update as I kill more.

-Rage

Thanks! I've added your tips. Keep them coming :)

Jin'rohk: Absolutely fun fight to start the tier. Quoting Ragebarr - "It's a target dummy". The only difference is you get to get your feet wet to improve your numbers. Again, I would agree with Ragebarr's statement of working with healers. Rallying Cry is a wonderful boost to health pools.

Horridon: I am still working on this boss with my guild (25M). I am fortunate that warriors are mobile. However sometimes having to move too much can be an annoyance. A good glyph recommendation here would be Glyph of Rude Interruption as you will want to interrupt spells such as Venom Bolt Volley. Increased damage on adds for 20 seconds? Yes please!

The only other experiences I have are on LFR and, frankly, I have not analyized them as I have not "encountered" them with my raid team. I'll update (pending the progression) if able.

Jin'rohk: Absolutely fun fight to start the tier. Quoting Ragebarr - "It's a target dummy". The only difference is you get to get your feet wet to improve your numbers. Again, I would agree with Ragebarr's statement of working with healers. Rallying Cry is a wonderful boost to health pools.

Horridon: I am still working on this boss with my guild (25M). I am fortunate that warriors are mobile. However sometimes having to move too much can be an annoyance. A good glyph recommendation here would be Glyph of Rude Interruption as you will want to interrupt spells such as Venom Bolt Volley. Increased damage on adds for 20 seconds? Yes please!

The only other experiences I have are on LFR and, frankly, I have not analyized them as I have not "encountered" them with my raid team. I'll update (pending the progression) if able.

added your mention of the glyph to horridon.

Jin'Rokh

Suggested talents

T1 - Juggernaut/Double Time

T2 - Impending Victory to maximize DPS, Enraged Regen to help healers with lightning storm

T3 - Doesn't really matter

T4 - Dragon Roar

T5 - Safeguard, use it to charge a tank if you need to get out of water for lightning storm, also reduces a bit of raid damage during storm Make sure you charge the tank that is not currently tanking

T6 - Bloodbath

Suggested Glyphs

Unending Rage (pretty much baseline for us)

Other tips

- As mentioned, Demo banner and Rallying Cry every other storm. If there's no other warrior/rogue in the group, use it on 2nd and 4th storms.

Horridon

Suggested talents

T1 - Warbringer, bonus interrupt, lines up perfectly with when each wave of adds come out

T2 - Impending Victory, lots of adds dying = more procs

T3 - Disrupting shout for more interrupts, Piercing howl to keep adds together

T4 - Dragon Roar

T5 - Mass Spell reflect for some damage mitigation, Safeguard to break out of snares

T6 - Bloodbath, although Stormbolt is actually pretty useful here

Suggested Glyphs

Rude Interruption (if you're good about interrupting)

Other tips

- Can't think of any right now

Council of Elders

Suggested talents

T2 - Enraged regen - Pop this when you're attacking possessed Kazra'jin, make your healers happy

T3 - Disrupting shout for more interrupts, Piercing howl to keep adds together

T4 - Dragon Roar

T5 - Mass Spell reflect for some damage mitigation, Safeguard to break out of snares (sand pits)

T6 - Bloodbath

Suggested Glyphs

Rude Interruption (Interrupt Sand Bolt/Wrath of the Loa)

Bull Rush (extra rage helps you kill the Aspects of the Loa faster)

Other tips

- Be aware of your health when attacking possessed Kazra. Dead DPS = no DPS

Tortos

Suggested Talents

T2 - Impending Victory, lots of adds dying = more procs

T3 - Piercing howl to keep adds together

T4 - Dragon Roar

T5 - Safeguard, use it on the OT when bats come down, gets to him faster for aoe, mitigates some damage

T6 - Bloodbath

Suggested Glyphs

Raging wind (kill bats faster)

Death from above (chase after turtles if you need a shell to kick, aoe on bats)

Other tips

- If ranged needs help killing the first turtle in time for interrupt, you can DPS the turtles from max distance and not get knocked back.

- Save CDs for when Tortos has the debuff on him.

Megaera

Suggested talents

T2 - Impending Victory for more damage, Enraged regen to help healers out during rampage

T3 - Any

T4 - Dragon Roar

T5 - Safeguard to get to the back of the room to drop cinders

T6 - Bloodbath

Suggested Glyphs

Death from Above (get to the back of the room to drop cinders faster)

Other tips

- Change stance to Berserker during rampage to maximize rage generation.

- This might be pretty obvious, but have the raid stack near the next head you're killing during rampage so melee can keep dpsing.

- Depending on your raid's DPS, you should have Rallying Cry and Demo Banner up for roughly every other rampage. Either alternate them with someone else that has defensive cds (another warrior, rogue's smoke bomb) or alternate using one and then the other to mitigate a bit each rampage.

I'll update as I get more experience in later fights.

Edited by Kortosis

Thanks! That was very helpful :) Do not edit your post though, for the next tips. Simply make a new post. Like this, it's easier for me to track things.

Ji-Kun tips for warriors (personally, I play as Arms, because I was lucky enough to get a 528 2-hander from the council):

- have your melee players spread out around the boss with a minimum of 8yds distance between them

- have your ranged do the spiel with the nests

- use your defensive raid CDs during the boss's quills ability. Take turns if you have more than one warrior.

- once the nest directly below the entrance becomes active (red beam of light) jump down onto it as soon as the quills ability is over.

- help killing whatever is still left in the nest, then collect one of the feathers to get the flying action button.

- do not fly straight back up to the platform but make a detour towards the nest on your left - if you time it well, you can already catch your first food buff above this nest while flying back up!

- as long as you have stacks that allow you to fly, stand in front of the boss to dps it - I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but it is much easier to catch additional food debuffs if you are in front of the boss.

- as soon as the boss spits out new bits of food (boss mod warning and the audio emote both help with the timing), fly directly above the boss and catch the food buff basically at its beak. The boss will release two waves of food bits in rapid succession, so if you miss the first, stay above it for another three seconds to catch the second.

- when you have the buff, land next to the boss, pop all damage CDs, and resume dps'ing.

- if you do not have Druids that help during the wind phase with a glyphed rund speed buff, try not to overlap your CDs with that phase too much

- after your flight buff wears off (it starts with four charges), get a new one when the nest below the entrance is active again. Then repeat collecting the food buff and dps'ing the boss.

Note:

Every food buff should increase your overall(!) dps in this encounter by roughly 10k. Getting the buff six times over the length of the encounter is a benchmark you should aim for: more is possible but not easy.

If your raid has trouble with too many slime pools on the platform, it is your duty as a durable dps class to soak some of the pools.

Make sure to switch to berserker stance during the quills phase and when you soak pools!

Have fun!

Qon: You can use ability_warrior_safeguard.jpgSafeguard on another melee player (NEVER on tank is you are dps) to remove the stacks of ability_deathknight_icygrip.jpgFrozen Blood.

You can also change to ability_racial_avatar.jpgBerserker Stance on every spell_nature_earthquake.jpgFist Smash if you heal are stong enough, in other case, use ability_warrior_defensivestance.jpgDefensive Stance.

also, you should change to ability_warrior_defensivestance.jpgDefensive Stance just before every spell_nature_cyclone.jpgWind Storm to mitigate damage, and use ability_heroicleap.jpgHeroic Leap to get out of the zone.

Edited by GastonFlores

An essential thing for any raid is to never be in battle stance during prolonged incoming damage (Lightning Storm, Quills, Fist Smash, etc.). If your healers can handle it, be in berzerker stance and go wild. If your healers need help, be in defensive stance (just remember to switch back!).

For Ji-Kun I use the bloodthirst glyph for extra heals in general, as well as the Unending Rage and Recklessness glyphs on the platform.

Enraged regeneration talent for soaking the feed young pools :)

May I ask why you'd chose Bloodthirst and Recklessness glyphs?

I feel they wouldn't be that useful, especially on this fight since you want to have as big of a burst as possible when you have the primal nutrient buff on you.

I use bloodthirst to help self heal/soak pools in general, bit less the heals have to heal and as I do not get a feather I don't get the primal nutrient buff the recklessness glpyh helps me get a better sustained dmg I believePosted Image Any suggestions I'd be happy to recieve them ^^

Edited by Ramanor

I tend to think that the Bloodthirst glyph is really underwhelming. 2% of your health, at my current item level, is ~10k. Considering the glyph to be a 5k heal bonus every 4.5 seconds means it's around a 1.3k HPS gain, which is pretty much nothing. Instead, you'd be better with focusing on glyphs to increase your DPS, namely Unending Rage and Death From Above.

Also, unless your team has a very strange way of doing the fight you should always be able to get at least 1 feather per fight.

Also, as a DPS you should not really have to soak puddles on the ground. Whichever tank is not tanking the boss should be doing it, and if you really have to do it jumping into Defensive Stance for less damage taken or Zerker Stance for more Rage (if your healers can handle it) for a few seconds is going to help you much more than the glyph of Bloodthirst ever would.

Also, I'd have to re-check with the new data and everything but I'm pretty sure Glyph of Reck is still a DPS loss in almost all situations.