FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

Throne of Thunder Protection Warrior Style

This thread is meant to collect useful pieces of information for Protection Warriors attempting bosses in the Throne of Thunder. We will add some contributions ourselves and hope that the rest will come from comments in this thread Posted Image

Table of Contents

Jin'rokh the Breaker

Useful talents:
  • ability_warrior_vigilance.jpgVigilance is very useful for helping the other tank.
Useful glyphs: share your thoughts!

Tips and Tricks:

• Make sure to always keep ability_defend.jpgShield Block up to help smooth out the damage from his melee. If you have extra rage or need to hold the boss for a bit with the spell_nature_purge.jpgStatic Wound debuff, using inv_shield_07.jpgShield Barrier will help the healers even more.
Links:

Horridon

Useful talents:Useful glyphs: share your thoughts!

Tips and Tricks:

• You can not use ability_defend.jpgShield Block to block his ability_warrior_shieldbreak.jpgTriple Puncture attack. What you can do is pooling rage to have 60 rage for a full power inv_shield_07.jpgShield Barrier right as the CD for his Triple Puncture comes up. This is a pain as sometimes he will throw out a melee attack first and weaken or remove your shield. Having a healer that understands what you are doing is also very helpful.
  • If things get out of control, use mocking_banner.jpgMocking Banner to group up all the adds. It doesn't taunt the boss so you don't have to worry about that and if you are doing a tank switch on the boss it will be up at the next door you tank.
  • Use ability_warrior_vigilance.jpgVigilance on the raid member that most often gets aggro on the adds.
Links:

Council of Elders

Useful talents:Useful glyphs:Tips and Tricks:
  • Use warrior_disruptingshout.jpgDisrupting Shout for extra interrupts as two of the bosses will be casting interruptable spells constantly. However, be careful if your raid's strategy involves leaving Mar'li cast spell_holy_searinglight.jpgWrath of the Loa on her tank; in this case, try not to interrupt her.
  • When tanking one of the caster bosses, make sure to use ability_warrior_shieldreflection.jpgSpell Reflection to mitigate the damage. Using the glyph will allow you to reflect damage more often.
  • ability_warrior_shieldbreak.jpgMass Spell Reflection can be used to reflect the reflected damage caused by Kazra'jin through spell_shaman_staticshock.jpgOverload when he is empowered.
  • Use mocking_banner.jpgMocking Banner to group up the Living Sands. Call for a healing cooldown if the damage they do on you is too much.
  • It is possible to always remain on Malakk and simply endure the stun from inv_axe_1h_pvpcataclysms3_c_01.jpgFrigid Assault.
Links:

Tortos

Useful talents:
  • spell_shadow_deathscream.jpgPiercing Howl can be used to slow down the turtles and give melee players a chance to hit them.
  • ability_warrior_shockwave.jpgShockwave and ability_warrior_dragonroar.jpgDragon Roar are both strong AoE talents for this fight.
  • ability_warrior_vigilance.jpgVigilance is beneficial if you are tanking the boss.
Useful glyphs:Tips and Tricks:
  • When tanking the boss make sure to always have enough rage for a ability_defend.jpgShield Block when he casts his ability_criticalstrike.jpgSnapping Bite (it can be blocked).
  • Regarding the adds, a few mentions are in order.

• Use ability_heroicleap.jpgHeroic Leap on the bats to get initial aggro on them. Getting the proper timing can be tricky at first.
  • After landing, use spell_nature_thunderclap.jpgThunder Clap to keep building aggro and move the bats to where the raid needs them to be.
  • Once there, use ability_warrior_shockwave.jpgShockwave or ability_warrior_dragonroar.jpgDragon Roar.
  • If lose aggro or if you need to regroup the bats, use mocking_banner.jpgMocking Banner.
  • Having ability_hunter_misdirection.jpgMisdirection or ability_rogue_tricksofthetrade.jpgTricks of the Trade on your is always very helpful.
  • If you have a Holy Paladin in your group, they can activate spell_holy_sealoffury.jpgRighteous Fury. This will ensure that the bats go to their location, making it easy for you to pick them up.
Links:

Megaera

Useful talents:Useful glyphs:
  • inv_glyph_majorwarrior.jpgGlyph of Unending Rage, allows to pop shield barrier and shield block more often, allowing for more absorption.
Tips and Tricks: share your thoughts!

Links:

Ji-Kun

Useful talents: share your thoughts!

Tips and Tricks:

• If you are tanking the boss during a ability_druid_galewinds.jpgDown Draft, make sure you are in melee range of the boss when it ends (you can use ability_heroicleap.jpgHeroic Leap to that extent) or else a melee DPS might get killed by the boss.
  • Try to use defensive cooldowns (inv_shield_07.jpgShield Barrier/ability_warrior_shieldwall.jpgShield Wall) when you are picking up the green pools on the ground, and try to take 2 at a time, to reduce overall damage.
Links:

Durumu the Forgotten

Links:

Primordius

Links:

Dark Animus

Useful glyphs:

Tips and Tricks:

• You can chain your defensive cooldowns on the pull when you have 2 adds on you, this will make your healer's mana go much farther. Your CD's should be available again by the time you need them on the boss.
  • demoralizing_banner.jpgDemoralizing Banner and ability_toughness.jpgRallying Cry should be used during spell_nature_lightningoverload.jpgInterrupting Jolt to keep your raid up.
  • You can use ability_heroicleap.jpgHeroic Leap to escape the ability_animusorbs.jpgAnima Ring when placed on you without triggering it.
Links:

Iron Qon

Tips and Tricks:

• You can use ability_warrior_safeguard.jpgSafeguard on the other tank in phase 1 to reduce damage when the boss casts Unleashed Flame on the tank/melee group. It is also handy to give someone a damage reduction when that person takes a bit too long to get out of the tornadoes in phase 2.
Links:

Twin Consorts

Tips and Tricks:

• Use ability_warrior_vigilance.jpgVigilance or ability_warrior_safeguard.jpgSafeguard on the other tank when they have to deal with the Nightmare add to reduce their damage taken.
  • If you are tanking the boss first you will get 2 adds. Having some kind of offensive cooldown available for the last one is advisable so it dies in time for you to taunt the Day boss at the start of phase 2.
  • Try and save inv_shield_07.jpgShield Barrier for the inv_offhand_1h_panstart_a_02.jpgFan of Flames form the day boss, especially on the 2nd and higher stacks.
  • Let your healers know that while you're tanking the Beast of Nightmare, any heals (including ability_paladin_beaconoflight.jpgBeacon of Light and other AoE heals) will give them a stacking DoT. You should be able to survive just fine without taking any outside healing (ability_defend.jpgShield Block and inv_shield_07.jpgShield Barrier are great for this portion of the fight).
Links:

Lei Shen

Useful talents: Useful glyphs:

Tips and Tricks:

• Use ability_heroicleap.jpgHeroic Leap when you have the ability_thunderking_decapitate.jpgDecapitate debuff and you can outrange nearly all of the damage it deals.
  • ability_warrior_dragonroar.jpgDragon Roar is useful for DPSing the ball lightnings.
  • Use ability_warrior_safeguard.jpgSafeguard during the transition phases on a member targeted for spell_shaman_staticshock.jpgStatic Shock to help them survive the damage.

Links:

Changelog

• 4 Apr. 2013: Added Reiga's tips for Dark Animus and Lei Shen.
  • 30 Mar. 2013: Added tips from ejthe4th for ji-Kun, Dark Animus, Iron Qon and Twin Consorts.
  • 28 Mar. 2013: Added tips from Ironsteel and Drakonis for the first four bosses.
  • 16 Mar. 2013: Added Moases' tips for Megaera.
  • 09 Mar. 2013: Added ejthe4th's tips for Council of Elders and Tortos.
  • 09 Mar. 2013: Added Frankmnimia's tips for Council of Elders.

On the elder council be sure to use disrupting shout for the extra interupt as 2 of the bosses will constantly cast an interuptable spell and depending on your raids strategy you could even interupt them both at the same time with the shout.

Also on elder council be sure to use spell reflect when tanking the caster bosses (only tested on the priest one) as another way to mitigate damage from their attacks picking up the spell reflect glyph will make u able to reflect more damage, picking up mass spell reflect is also a good idea as it reflects the reflected damage caused by Kazra'jin when he is impowered, as does the glyphed grounding totem.

• Like 1

On the elder council be sure to use disrupting shout for the extra interupt as 2 of the bosses will constantly cast an interuptable spell and depending on your raids strategy you could even interupt them both at the same time with the shout.

Also on elder council be sure to use spell reflect when tanking the caster bosses (only tested on the priest one) as another way to mitigate damage from their attacks picking up the spell reflect glyph will make u able to reflect more damage, picking up mass spell reflect is also a good idea as it reflects the reflected damage caused by Kazra'jin when he is impowered, as does the glyphed grounding totem.

I added your information to the opening post.
  • Like 1

Depending on the strat that your guild is using for the Council of Elders fight, be careful with disrupting shout, if you are too close to Mar'li, you can interrupt her and get her to run to whoever has aggro. The strat we used was for one of the tanks to get aggro on Mar'li on the pull and let her free-cast on that tank, while Malakk and Sul were stacked. Sul was burned and interrupted while cleaving to Malakk. Mar'li was only ever interrupted by the tank that had aggro and typically only when we needed to move her (or when she was empowered).

For Tortos, I found the glyph Death from above useful for tanking the bats. Their spawn time was somewhere between 30 and 50 seconds (based on Dragon Roar still on CD, but Heroic Leap off CD when the next set of adds arrived). If the prot warrior is tanking the boss, Vigilance would be very beneficial. I'm not certain if Dragon Roar or Shockwave would be the better choice of AoE talent for this fight. Piercing Howl is useful for slowing the turtle adds so melee has a chance of hitting them.

• Like 1

Depending on the strat that your guild is using for the Council of Elders fight, be careful with disrupting shout, if you are too close to Mar'li, you can interrupt her and get her to run to whoever has aggro. The strat we used was for one of the tanks to get aggro on Mar'li on the pull and let her free-cast on that tank, while Malakk and Sul were stacked. Sul was burned and interrupted while cleaving to Malakk. Mar'li was only ever interrupted by the tank that had aggro and typically only when we needed to move her (or when she was empowered).

For Tortos, I found the glyph Death from above useful for tanking the bats. Their spawn time was somewhere between 30 and 50 seconds (based on Dragon Roar still on CD, but Heroic Leap off CD when the next set of adds arrived). If the prot warrior is tanking the boss, Vigilance would be very beneficial. I'm not certain if Dragon Roar or Shockwave would be the better choice of AoE talent for this fight. Piercing Howl is useful for slowing the turtle adds so melee has a chance of hitting them.

Added! Thanks :)

I find using the Glyph of Unending Rage useful for Megaera. This allows me to pop shield barrier/shield block more often and allows for more abosorption. Also, speccing into impending victory seems rather helpful for those "oh sh*t" moments. Other than those two suggestions, does anyone have any other ideas? Sometimes I do seem to dip a little low and really feel bad for the healers busting their butts to keep me alive. Other than what I have found to help and rolling CDs, I'm at a loss.

I find using the Glyph of Unending Rage useful for Megaera. This allows me to pop shield barrier/shield block more often and allows for more abosorption. Also, speccing into impending victory seems rather helpful for those "oh sh*t" moments. Other than those two suggestions, does anyone have any other ideas? Sometimes I do seem to dip a little low and really feel bad for the healers busting their butts to keep me alive. Other than what I have found to help and rolling CDs, I'm at a loss.

Added your tips, can't help you with more suggestions though, I hope someone else can.

Figured I should throw in what I have learned from some of the fights so far.

Jin'rokh is an easy fight but with that being said, Vigilance is still very useful for helping the other tank. Just make sure to always keep Shield Block up to help smooth out the damage from his melee. If you have extra rage or need to hold the boss for a bit with the static wounds debuff, using shield barrier will help the healers even more.

Horridon is a pain in the butt for warrior tanks in my opinion. You can not use shield block to block his triple puncture attack. What I ended up doing is pooling rage to have 60 rage for a full power shield barrier right as the CD for his triple puncture come up. This is a pain as sometimes he will throw out a melee attack first and weaken or remove your shield. Having a healer that understand what you are doing is also very helpful. With the adds, as long as your raid group doesnt run off with them and focuses one down at a time, you shouldnt have to much trouble with them. That being said, if things get crazy use mocking banner to group up all the adds. It doesnt taunt the boss so you dont have to worry about that and if you are tanking switch on the boss it will be up at the next door you tank.

Council isn't a hard fight for tanks but it can take a bit to learn how to move the bosses around. As said by ejthe4th, we used the same start and what he said about disrupting shout is correct. Only thing I would add to this is that Glyph of Heroic Throw is useful when you need to interrupt Sul or Mar'li to move them. Also using mocking banner when the sand adds come out is great to help keep them off the healers and DPS. Just call for a CD if the damage is to much and be ready to move when the adds die.

Tortos is a fun fight to me. We get to really enjoy our mobility as a warrior. When tanking the boss make sure to always have enough rage for a shield block when he casts his snapping bite(Its blockable! Yay! Take that Horridon!) Now on the bat adds things can be tricky if you raid doesnt understand how the bats come done. The bats fly down onto a traget that they aggro too. This can be a healer or the other tank if they have alot of self heals. What I found useful is having Glyph of Heroic leap to shorten the cool down and always have it to leap in JUST as the bats land. It takes time to get the timing down but leaping in just as they land will help save healers and the other tank if they target him. Once you have landed in, throwout a thunder clap to get more aggro on them and start to move them where your raid wants them. Once there Shockwave is a great pick because it stuns them for so long. I always had the healers setup a CD rotation on me for when I had the bats to help keep me above 350k HP. Again, if the bats split up or you use aggro on alot of them, mocking banner is your friend. However, with mocking banners cool down we can not count on it everytime the bats split. Having MDs and Tricks on you is always very hepful. Also, in my raid group the pally healer you stand where we wanted the bats to be and turned on RF. This made it very easy to get the bats together cause they would (almost) always go to him.

Well thats all the tips and tricks I have for now. Hopfuly they were helpful and can help anyone who is stuck. If I was wrong on anything please feel free to yell at me. If you know of something better also feel free to let me know, I am in no way a perfect and I miss things too.

Good luck out there and lets kill these bosses!

-Protection Warriors United-

-Ironsteel.

Edited by Ironsteel

Horridon: vigilance and mocking banner are your friend in this, if you have trouble with the adds. i try to space them out one for each door i am tanking, poison i wait for two venomancer spawn and it stays long enough to get me the dinomancer. vigilance on the target that most often takes threat from you anyways followed by grabbing all that are not on you is also nice, but remember the time limit.

Council: we use a no swap method since the stun isn't as bad as one would think, i swap in dps trinks and get glyph of rude interruption, sit on sul and dps as hard as i can with a melee, long as no adds reach him you should have him dead before the empower reaches him (if you start on sul blowing hero then following priority from 50 energy on current empower)

Tortos Bat tanking:

shockwave, with death from above, increased heal from victory rush and revenge are my three favorite glyphs. bats will parry enough you get enough rage from revenge to have shield block up when you need it. leap instantly to bats, thunderclap and then shockwave, pay particular attention to this because if you don't use i right away or you only hit three targets you won't have it up when needed. when quake is 2secs off you need to shockwave the bats, you end up taking next to do dmg from quake during this and the extra dmg on them means one has probably gone down so now you have a free 30% heal from victory rush which procs throughout killing the bats very often. i suggest also using the talent for the bleed and slow since bats come out so frequenty. remember they should always go for a healer so the highest healer can stand near you so you can leap on them or you can get an addon like (hhtd which can be configured to just show the healing marks above your healers head without cluttering up the raid and not spam you they are taking dmg)

Edited by Drakonis

Ji-Kun:

If you have aggro on the boss (a.k.a. should be getting stacks of Talon Rake), make sure to be in melee range of the boss when downdraft ends (either leap or charge in). If you are not, and a random melee is closer than you, they will take the Talon Rake, and probably die. I find leaping onto the boss with about 0.5 seconds left on the cast of Downdraft was good enough.

Use CDs (shield barrier/shield wall) when/if you are picking up the green pools on the ground, and try to pick up two at a time (should reduce overall damage to you).

Dark Animus:

I find on the pull chaining CDs when I have the two adds on me. This makes the healer's mana go much further. All of your defensive CDs should be available again by the time you need them on the boss. Popping Demo banner and Rallying Cry is strongly advised to help keep your raid up during Interrupting Jolt.

Iron Qon:

Safeguard is useful for reducing damage to co-tank especially if they are the one tanking the boss while casts unleashed flame (in Phase1) on the tank/melee group. It is also handy to give someone a damage reduction with safeguard someone that takes a bit too long to get out of the tornados in Phase2.

Twin Consorts:

Safeguard (possibly also Vigilance) is great to use on the other tank when they have to deal with the Nightmare add. If you tank the boss second, you can use DR on the boss on pull and have it ready again by the time you get your Nigmare add. If you take the boss first, either delay using DR, or use it on CD, the add dies fairly quickly so it doesn't matter too much. Also, it looks like the add has time to spawn 3x, so the first tank to get it, will have the add two times, so having CDs availble for the third add is advisable so that the add is dead in time for a taunt swap on the day boss.

It's also highly advisable to be 80%+ HP and using either a CD or shield barrier for Fan of Flames from the day boss (DBM has a timer for it), especially on the 2nd or higher stack.

Let the healers know that while you're tanking the beast of nightmare any heals (including Beacon and other AoE heals) will give them a stacking DoT. You should be able to survive just fine w/o taking any out-side healing (shield block and barrier are great for this portion of the fight).

I think my talents/glyphs are mostly dps orientated for Ji-Kun, Durumu, Primordius and Dark Animus.

• Like 1

Another mechanic I just remembered for Durumu, pertained to Force of Will. If you happen to be hit by Force of Will, say if you happen to be stunned from Life Drain, and Force of Will is cast on you, you can charge into the boss after Force of Will goes off and you get knocked back and up into the air. I'm not sure if this is an intended mechanic or not, but I was able to save myself last night by charging the boss after being stunned by Life Drain during a cast of Force of Will. This will keep you from being knocked off the platform and insta-killed.

• Like 1

Dark Animus:

You can use Heroic Leap to escape the Anima Ring when placed on you without triggering it. Glyph it for this fight so you can use it more often.

Lei Shen:

Use Heroic Leap when you have the Decapitate debuff and you can outrange nearly all of the damage it deals.

Dragon Roar is useful for dpsing the ball lightnings.

Use Safeguard during the transition phases on a member targeted for Static Shock to help them survive the damage.

• Like 1

Dark Animus:

You can use Heroic Leap to escape the Anima Ring when placed on you without triggering it. Glyph it for this fight so you can use it more often.

Lei Shen:

Use Heroic Leap when you have the Decapitate debuff and you can outrange nearly all of the damage it deals.

Dragon Roar is useful for dpsing the ball lightnings.

Use Safeguard during the transition phases on a member targeted for Static Shock to help them survive the damage.

Added those tips to the post :)

• Like 1

For Magera:

*) The melee generally does more damage than the breath, especially as the fight continues due to the haste buff and venomous head armor debuff. You therefore want to focus on mitigating damage during the melee attacks using shield block.

*) Damage is steady and not bursty - mitigation and avoidance stats are therefore more beneficial than stamina for this fight

*) The head attack pattern starts with 6 seconds of melee and the repeats the following: 2 second pause, 4 second breath, 12 seconds melee

*) Make sure you exit the rampage phase with a full rage bar so you can put up shield block right away for the first 6 seconds of melee

*) Watch your health and use a cooldown such as last stand, healthstone, impending victory, enraged regeneration, life spirit or health potion every time it drops < 50% to give healers time to catch up.

*) Avoid spending rage on shield barrier unless you have spare rage or you are really low on health and have no other options

*) The venomous and flaming heads do more damage as their life decreases due to the stacking armor debuff and dot. Use shield wall during the last 20% of the head's life for the most mitigation.

*) The venomous and flaming heads are more dangerous - make sure shield wall is used for the final time those heads are up.

Heroic Jin'Rokh:

The best way I found to reduce raid damage (and personal damage) from Static Wound when one of the tanks gets thrown was for the tank with the Static Wound debuff to taunt 1-2 seconds before the throw. Jin Rokh will throw the tank with the existing debuff and then then wait a couple of seconds before applying the Static Wound "pre-debuff" (lasts ~3 seconds) to you. Watch this "pre-debuff" and right as it gets ready to expire, leap away (preferably near the grating between the currently active pool, and the next pool you plan to go to). By the time Jin'Rokh reaches you, the other tank will become unstunned and be able to taunt with his/her Static Wound debuff fallen off or only at one or two stacks.

• Like 1

Megera: is spot on, i would suggest using demo banner when the two tanks are taking the heads as opposed to a raid dmg cd since the head having 120% haste hurts more then rampage for some odd reason.

Ji-kun: i also use increased rage pool glyph so i can get the ones farther away from the boss with more rage to mitigate the dmg from the pools. i have been using impending victory for his claw attack. a shield block with demo means the last one hits for next to nothing. blowing barrier means it literally hits for nothing or you can use as a slightly less rage intensive (and more active since you can and should use it earlier) cd if you need the health after his slash before you soak pools so you can have a stronger barrier.

Durumu: i suggest the 120 rage glyph, and vigilance or if you feel confident safguard. if healers are having a hard time with heals they can ignore you after 5th stack even with bleed because as long as you are constantly building rage you can absorb the dmg fromt he bleed with barrier. i usually use vigilance on the 5th stack for the other tank to reduce dmg taken so he can be healed up and your debuff is about to expire. i have used safeguard and it seemed to work fine, but i can't be certain there was not a minor hit before the hard stare to say i didn't get lucky and not get a sixth stack, doubtful but possible.(used to do it on one of the ulduar bosses to one tank)

Primordius: only thing that can really be said is it is quantiity of hits on oozes not quality that benefits from the debuff the boss places on you. making bladestorm more desirable later on in the fight where there is always 10-15 oozes right on his ass. becareful not to stand on it as it dies, a tank being transformed can only help. (while a debuffed tank helps no one)

Iron Quon:

This is one of the few fights i support second wind over the other healing teir, particulary when you are starting out, behing able to get swept up by tornados with the dot and survive is a god send. be aware you can heroic leap the lines at any time to avoid dmg from the lines if you need to reposition the boss. (can also leap nearly out of the tornado area and of course safeguard someone)

So Lei shen, some of that info can get people killed. intervene someone with static shock and the 20% dmg they just didn't take goes to whoever else is trying to soak it with them. if you stack with them then yes its not a bad idea because you are a tank and extra dmg on you is not going to kill you. depending on your strat you might be off on one of the platforms with the other tank, often meaning no heals and if the the other platforms mess up you get large adds beating on you for some time. i sadly still don't have two set, but i have lei shen dead.... either way second wind can keep you up for sometime with no heals since you are soaking the balls, getting adds so on. you can do without but its an unneeded risk. safeguard on the other tank is great since for now it has not minimum distance like charge. mocking banner will not grab the diffusion chain adds making it essentialy worthless for this fight. i can't verify if it works for the large because if dps is messing up so bad they have more then one its likely they are dead before you get over there and either way five large adds is almost a guaranteed wipe. make sure to charge the boss after a fusion slash on you if you want the boss to stay linked because if the other tanks not spot on its easy to have it drop for no reason. though dancing the boss is a valid strat it can be dangerous with static balls and we just decided to lvl up our static shock platform (our second kill target) instead of deal with balls coming at the wrong time. remember when you heroic leap away if he is going to transition his decapicate will recalculate from his new location from the middle platform as opposed to the pillar. i used beserker, tc, and dragon roar and blood bath for adds, also final phase i would safeguard the other tank when he took boss to mitigate as much dmg for healers as possible. also found using 3min cds ie crit banner and recklessness first phase and saving shattering throw for second phase burn did more for the group since you will always have the first without lvling a platform, second you want as much dps as you can toss in to transition him with little to no powerup. there is enough time for your 3min cds to be back up, not your five.

Heroic Jin'Rokh:

The best way I found to reduce raid damage (and personal damage) from Static Wound when one of the tanks gets thrown was for the tank with the Static Wound debuff to taunt 1-2 seconds before the throw. Jin Rokh will throw the tank with the existing debuff and then then wait a couple of seconds before applying the Static Wound "pre-debuff" (lasts ~3 seconds) to you. Watch this "pre-debuff" and right as it gets ready to expire, leap away (preferably near the grating between the currently active pool, and the next pool you plan to go to). By the time Jin'Rokh reaches you, the other tank will become unstunned and be able to taunt with his/her Static Wound debuff fallen off or only at one or two stacks.

i found this rather helpful but i felt i would add to the tricks. when static wound debuff is coming up and you are not going to leap away as he suggests pop shield block, demo shout, then taunt. you can time this just right so other tank doesn't get hit and you are ready so if he does hit you the raid takes less. i was also using intervene on the other tank as soon as he was taunting for the throw, and of course leaping away. also this is more for raid if you hang out on the grates during storm you have to deal with less balls and they won't come from behind you. (have to move the boss quick though if you still want to control puddle spawns so i took death from above as a precaution because i had leap screw me on one attempt)

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to provide some helpful advice based on the heroic and non-heroic encounters I have completed so far in ToT. I am currently in a 25 man raiding guild, Raiding Rainbows on Illidan-US, and at the moment, we are 10/13 Heroic. I will be providing suggestions for Heroic versions of the encounters I have done so far (though a lot of the suggestions are transferable to normal versions as well).

Suggested things for all of ToT:

Useful Talents (all of ToT): Second Wind should always be taken on every fight in ToT, especially once you get 2 piece T15 since you gain an on demand heal from T15 and Second Wind is by far the best healing because it automatically procs, has no ICD, and can save your life.

Useful Glyphs (all of ToT): Once you get 2 piece T15, Glyph of Victory Rush should be used for most fights as the third glyph since it affects the proc from the T15 bonus (50% heal on Victory Rush).

Heroic Jin'rohk:

Talents: Normal talents should be used: Juggernaught/Double Time, Second Wind, whatever T3 talent, Dragonroar, Vigilance, Bloodbath.

Glyphs: Normal Glyphs should be used: Glyph of Heavy Repercussions, Glyph of Unending Rage, Glyph of Victory Rush (if 2 piece) or Glyph of Revenge/Glyph of Incite (if no 2 piece).

Heroic Horridon:

Talents: Normal talents should be used: Juggernaught/Double Time, Second Wind, Disrupting Shout, Dragonroar, Vigilance, Bloodbath.

Glyphs: Normal glyphs should be used: Glyph of Heavy Repercussions, Glyph of Unending Rage, Glyph of Victory Rush (if 2 piece) or Glyph of Revenge/Glyph of incite (if no 2 piece).

Tips and Tricks: There is a gigantic step up in damage done by Horridon from normal. My guild usually has me on Horridon the entire fight and uses a BoP on me when Horridon is MC'd and crashes into the door (if you do this, make sure to macro /cancelaura Hand of Protection into every ability and make sure your Paladin(s) have Clemency - you need 2 Paladins to do this on every door). BoP wipes off the Triple Puncture debuff.

Another important thing that happens on Heroic Horridon is Dire Call. Prior to Dire Call, Demoralizing Shout should be used because of the burst damage that can be done to you (Dire Call + melee hit + triple puncture within 1 second).

When Horridon enrages after Jalak is dead, the damage on the tanks become crazy and a tank can get 2 shot if the Triple Puncture stack is high enough and Horridon's attack is synced. During this phase, one tank should take 6 stacks maximum before the boss is taunted off of him (BoPs can still be used to wipe debuff). When you are taunting the boss off of the other tank, make sure to pop shield wall or have a cooldown up to ease the transition tank swap because you can die extremely quickly otherwise. Finally, Healers should focus the tanks, and only 1 real healer should focus on topping off the raid as the healer has a minute to do so (Shamans are amazing at this).

Heroic Council:

Talents: Normal Talents should be used: Juggernaught/Double Time, Second Wind, Disrupting Shout, Dragonroar, Vigilance (you can use Mass Spell Reflect, both are equal), Bloodbath.

Glyphs: Normal Glyphs should be used: Glyph of Heavy Repercussions, Glyph of Unending Rage, Glyph of Victory Rush (if 2 piece) or Glyph of Revenge/Glyph of Incite (if no 2 piece). You are not going to be tanking Marli much by herself as she should not be interrupted at all when she is not empowered and it doesn't matter a whole lot who she is attacking. In fact, Marli should not move at all during the course of the fight. You can use Glyph of Rude Interruption if you are assigned to interrupt Sul, but you shouldn't be (3 melee DPS should be assigned to do so).

Tips and Tricks: On heroic you have to taunt off Frost King when the other tank reaches 10 stacks. The tank will most likely die otherwise from any damage taken.

Heroic Tortos:

Talents: Normal Talents should be used: Juggernaught/Double Time, Second Wind, Disrupting Shout (Piercing Howl could be used if you are kiting the bats), Dragonroar (if on boss) or Shockwave (if tanking/kiting bats), Vigilance, Bloodbath.

Glyphs: Normal Glyphs should be used: Glyph of Heavy Repercussions, Glyph of Unending Rage, Glyph of Victory Rush (if 2 piece) or Glyph of Revenge/Glyph of Incite (if no 2 piece). If you are tanking the boss, normal glyphs should be used. If you are kiting the bats, Glyph of Heroic Leap should be used.

Tips and Tricks: In our strategy, we kite the bats and have a Monk kite them around. I'm sure a warrior can do it as well, but a Brewmaster would be the best for kiting the adds. As a result, you'll probably be tanking the boss, and Warriors are probably the best choice to do so because of the fact that we can guarantee a block on Snapping Bite. However, with that said, you still must ensure that you have a shell shield on you by attacking the crystal. In my experience, you should attack the crystal directly on every other hit (a lot of target switching during this fight).

Heroic Megaera:

Talents: Normal Talents should be used: Juggernaught/Double Time, Second Wind, Disrupting Shout (usable to interrupt arcane adds), Dragonroar or Shockwave (if tanking adds), Vigilance, Bloodbath.

Glyphs: Normal Glyphs should be used: Glyph of Heavy Repercussions, Glyph of Unending Rage, Glyph of Victory Rush (if 2 piece) or Glyph of Revenge/Glyph of Incite (if no 2 piece).

Tips and Tricks: On heroic, one of the heads (usually the acid head) is never killed during the entire fight. By the end of the fight, the head that is up the entire time will begin to do ALOT of damage to you. In order to mitigate the damage, you need to make sure that Shield Block is up, and use Shield Barrier before each breath (it does not matter if it is not a 60 rage Shield Barrier).

Additionally, Demoralizing Shout should be used on the second breath from each head. An external cooldown should be used on the third breath (if you get more then 4 breaths on any head, it is a wipe as the tank will die).

Finally, If you are tanking a fire head going into a rampage, you MUST use shield wall to survive the damage or you will in fact die. The damage from the DoT + Rampage is extremely high and healers will need to focus on AOE healing, not single target healing you.

That is it for now. I will finish the remaining bosses I have done this far in a little while. I need to take a break for now.

So my computer seems to have had a few problems with the website's post editor, so I didn't get to add you guy's tips to the first post yet. I'll try and do it at some point in the coming week, if school's not too crazy.

Here is the second half of the bosses.

Heroic Ji'Kun:

Talents: Normal talents should be used: Juggernaught/Double Time, Second Wind, whatever T3 Talent, Dragonroar, Vigilance, Bloodbath.

Glyphs: Normal Glyphs should be used: Glyph of Heavy Repercussions, Glyph of Unending Rage, Glyph of Victory Rush (2 piece) or Glyph of Revenge/Incite (if no 2 piece).

Tips and Tricks: You will be taking 3 Talon Rakes at times. You cannot take a 4th unless you use a 40% damage reduction cooldown and Last Stand at the same time and have over 1 million health (it is possible, I have done it, but you cannot rely on it). For the first Talon Rake, Shield Barrier is enough to prevent you from dying. For the second Talon Rake, Demo Shout + Shield Barrier is enough. For the third Talon Rake, use shield wall.

When you have to go to a Guardian Nest, get there early. If a person jumps down or flies up before you, the person will probably get 1 shot by the Guardian.

Do your best to absorb pools, and try to get about 3-4 ticking on you at once (not always doable, and really you should only focus on the pools around the boss for melee). Having multiple on you causes you to take more damage but is more efficient so you can take later pools without getting additional stacks of the permanent debuff.

Heroic Durumu:

Talents: Normal talents should be used: Juggernaught/Double Time, Second Wind, whatever T3 Talent, Dragonroar, Vigilance, Bloodbath.

Glyphs: Normal Glyphs should be used: Glyph of Heavy Repercussions, Glyph of Unending Rage, Glyph of Victory Rush (2 piece) or Glyph of Revenge/Incite (if no 2 piece).

Tips and Tricks: We use 1 tank on this fight and use BoP to remove the debuff from the tank. BoP should be used when you reach 6 stacks of the debuff and you should taunt the boss for the moment that BoP is up on you so that the boss does not kill any other player else. If you see that Disintegration Beam is coming up (Maze phase) you do not need to use a BoP as the debuff will drop off by itself during the maze.

When you are stacking for Life Drain (after Disintigration Beam has just been used) stand off to the right side of the stack so that you are not absorbing Life Drain and getting stunned.

If you get Lingering Gaze, drop it off UNDERNEATH the boss. Everyone else in the raid should be dropping it off as far to the outside as possible. You should be able to drop it off under the boss without much trouble.

Heroic Primordius:

Talents: Normal talents should be used: Juggernaught/Double Time, Second Wind, any Tier 3 talent, Dragonroar, Vigilance, Bloodbath.

Glyphs: Movement increasing Glyphs should be used: Glyph of Enraged Speed, Glyph Heroic Leap, Glyph Victory Rush (2 piece) or Glyph of Unending Rage (no 2 piece).

Tips and Tricks: The absolute most important thing about this fight is preventing the big add from reaching the boss. If the add reaches the boss, it is an instant wipe (900k damage to the entire raid). You should use your movement abilities to close on the add as quickly as possible and move the add quickly away from the boss.

Additionally, if you are not tanking an add, you should be on the outside of the room, between the closest add spawn location and the boss, ready to pick up the add. If the add spawns near the boss, quickly call it out and have the other tank move the boss away as quickly as possible.

Heroic Dark Animus:

Tips and Tricks: One of the most important things that can be applied to both the normal and heroic versions of this boss is the starting position near the adds. If you stand right between the two adds before engaging the boss and do not move, the adds will not link. This is extremely important in the Heroic version of the boss. However, because you cannot move, Anima Font will hit you, and when it is hitting you, healers really need to watch your health.

Heroic Iron Quon:

Tips and Tricks: BoP can be used to remove the impale debuff. If you plan on using it, use it when you get to 6 stacks of the debuff. The heroic version of this boss is pretty much the same thing as the normal version.

Heroic Twin Consorts:

Tips and Tricks: This fight is almost entirely reliant on the person doing the constellations doing them in the correct order. Other then what is already stated, there isn't much to add.

This is the farthest I have gotten so far, but will update with Talents, Glyphs, and Tips and Tricks when I kill the last two bosses in the coming weeks.

Edited by Snt