FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Peelyon

Keeping a guild going...

So in the build up to Cataclysm a lot was said about guild levelling and the perk system. My guild spent a great deal of time preparing for achievements and professions etc before the expansion went live in the hope that we could level up at a decent rate. This meant that at the end if Wrath we still felt like we had plenty of things to do, and the guild was buzzing with activity.

Sadly the guild system hasn't had the impact that I think a lot of players and guild masters would have hoped, and it's tough trying to motivate my guild group to prepare for Mists of Pandaria. The current proposed guild perks aren't great and even if they were I don't think played will be really pushing that hard to get those 5 levels like they did the last 5.

So what are you doing to keep your members active and motivated? End of expansions are really tough times for a lot of small and medium sized guilds, and there is only so much you can do.

It's a shame really, as we have exhausted Dragon Soul, we all have our transmog gear and there is only so much PvP you can do.

Any other ideas?

It is the currenty difficulty; SWOtR hit us pretty hard. Although d3 didn't affect us it did make our bff guild fold...

So keeping things active, fun and interesting is definately a challange that we currently face - it's a grand idea to try and share some of what we are doing!

We have just promoted a new officer this week as the two of us were feeling a little thinly spread so that should help inject something into proceedings. I have given him the gift of looking at pvp (we are a pve guild) and seeing where we can expand in that area.

This month I am looking to try to increase forum activity. We are also implementing a member of the month with shiny prizes. Next month I am going to look at guild achieves (the ones with no real prizes persay) like classic dungeons - if we can do them as groups it should be more fun for all. I also have some interest from people to pick up individual achieves so will do something to target both at once. I'm considering a leveling race. Raid days are fine... it's the rest of the time we need to pimp things up a bit!

Death runs are good to try - its all about a few drinks, friends, and being seriously undergeared for the content. Bring lots of food.

Also I'm obviously awesome, which helps.

• Like 3

I remember my old guild in Wrath we'd have Drunken Naxx Night.

Show up with your favorite adult beverage, and every time someone died take a drink. Down a boss? take a drink. I'm kinda sure some of the healers let people die just for the hell of it to get a drink but it was always good times.

I'm thinking of trying to plan a Drunken ICC run with my guild.

But you just need to think of stuff to keep the guild active. My guild has gotten pretty dead recently with only my 10man raid team being the active members. We used to have our all guild meeting at Gurubashi Arena and beat each other during the meeting. Our GM held a scavenger hunt once and then the assorted random achievement runs.

• Like 1

Haha that sounds awesome LCS!

Honestly, just keep things real, it's summer time soon, end of expansion, no point in trying to force people, let them relax and probably 90%+ will return fully for the MoP, that's what I'm going to do atleast.

Currently we are hosting a competition the person who can level from 1-85 in the shortest time played wins a sand stone drake. The catch is it has to be a class / race combo that we still need for the Classy achievements (of course death knights excluded).

This drew in most people to come back and start putting in some effort on getting a mount that is still fairly expensive to own.

• Like 2

I think the inv_alchemy_potion_06.jpgVial of the Sands mount competition is a very interesting idea. I remember our guild died from inactivity after Ruby Sanctum was released and we struggled to get to a decent level of raiding again when Cataclysm was released. In the end, Vlad and I just left and joined a semi-hardcore guild on our server.

Right now we mostly sell runs in FL and DS and a lot of members show up for that. Contests will be held during the summer, and we'll try to complete as many glory achievements for as many members possible. We also have a guild meeting the second week of July and I think about 17 people are going to attend.

The inv_alchemy_potion_06.jpgVial of the Sands on my server is sooo cheap right now, they are being sold for 10-14k. People appearantly found a way to dupe/copy inv_misc_dust_06.jpgSands of Time which is the most expensive component.

Honestly, just keep things real, it's summer time soon, end of expansion, no point in trying to force people, let them relax and probably 90%+ will return fully for the MoP, that's what I'm going to do atleast.

Cheers for all the ideas guys, sadly I think meukow's advice above may be the viable option, all the other stuff is really good, but sadly all ready tried and tested. Think its a case of just giving people the break that they want / need and hopefully the new content will bring them back into the game.

Saying that Im hoping a few Glory achievements wouldnt go a miss, so may try setting up some events! As for drunken Naxx etc we do drunken PvP, that seems to be enjoyable when you start /missing your swings against fellow players...somehow the players who are sober always seem to win though...

Ah we have been recruiting raiding players so we have quite a few new people. At the moment I am trying to get a few socials in. We have 2 back due to scrolls of res.

Generally the newbies are folk that have left their guilds due to inactivity. I expect when mists comes out the orriginal guildies will more or less all come back. The things that we are doing at the moment is to try and gel the new folk & keep them so that we have a guild to bring into mists.

This may mean however that the raiding team for MoP will be very different than the one we had through other expansions! It does seem that content has gotten quite old quite quickly this time - not sure if it is because it is easier or if it is because we have all been here for a very very long time... problem with having a vanilla guild I guess!

Cheers for all the ideas guys, sadly I think meukow's advice above may be the viable option, all the other stuff is really good, but sadly all ready tried and tested. Think its a case of just giving people the break that they want / need and hopefully the new content will bring them back into the game.

Saying that Im hoping a few Glory achievements wouldnt go a miss, so may try setting up some events! As for drunken Naxx etc we do drunken PvP, that seems to be enjoyable when you start /missing your swings against fellow players...somehow the players who are sober always seem to win though...

Exactly, people won't perform as good unless they REALLY want to play, for past few weeks I've been playing LoL really hardcore and only farming Karazhan in WoW once a week and I must say I kinda miss WoW! So I'm probably returning last month of the season11 and pushing gladiator while getting ready for MoP full force!

You want players that WANT to play the game, and by letting them take a break they will want to play again, if they don't come back, you're probably better off with some fresh players. IMO.

I'm a bit late to the party, but wanted to toss some advice your way any way (I'm REALLY bored at work at the moment, really).

I think most guilds are suffering. I run an RP guild, biggest one on my server, and even we are having issues. People aren't leaving the guild, they are just leaving, or taking a break from, the game. We are not a raiding guild, we just raid one time every week, and it's hard to even get 10 people together for that.

What we do to try and motivate people firstly, is not give up. We still schedule our one RP event each week and our one raid. I think a sense of continuity is important. If the guild leadership is starting to give up, then there is no reason for members to hang on.

What we have done in the past to generate more interest is to do a contest. When Cata was almost at the door, we suffered from expansion fatigue as well (though not as much as we do now). We put out a contest where people could either draw something pertaining to the expansion, whether it be an actual drawing or a photoshop thing. Or write something (since not everyone has the same talents and we tried to exclude as little people as possible).

We also put out a guild magazine for a while. This held a gossip section, a travel section, new members in the spotlight, etc. It was quite a bit of work for the leadership, but I think it was nice for the members to see that we were willing to put that much time in.

I think it's harder for raiding guilds of course, because they are focused on raiding, and once content is cleared, well... what do you do? We have a part of DS heroic still left for us, we can go back and farm ICC mount or Ulduar mount, but I'm guessing these things are not really options for you.

Any way, hope you get some inspiration from this at least :)

• Like 2

Cheers for the reply Sarah! Things have been going quite a bit better at the moment. I think a big part of the downturn was the fact that I was personally bored as well, but we've had a few new recruits join and were willing to keep plugging and plugging away. Stealing players from other guilds and spending time sweet talking new recruits is definitely keeping me busy ;)

I'm sure as soon as the MoP date is set things will pick up even more :)

[...]

I run an RP guild, biggest one on my server [...]

Bring them here! I would make a RP forum section if there was enough demand ;)

• Like 1

Drunken PvP night was a resounding success!

N.B - We do not condone drinking! (Especially internet drinking)

• Like 1

Drunken PvP night was a resounding success!

N.B - We do not condone drinking! (Especially internet drinking)

Lies! Of course we condone drinking - drunken Friday PvP night is so much fun! Posted Image

• Like 1

I'm with you on that peelyon, I am not condoning the ammount of drinking that shall be happening in my house today! I will be partaking of course, but at no stage will I condone it.

The only reason I drink on a saturday is because I RL so much better on the sunday through a raging hangover. It's for the greater good.

It just occurred to me that one of the best ways to get a guild going at the moment is to get everyone in the MoP beta and play there :P

or end up being lucky and picking up new guildies from the icy-veins forums who want to try out the fun relaxed atmosphere of a laid back RP server

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Maybe we needed some tough love - told the guild if they didn't sign this week we would stop raiding. Ended up with 8 guildies and 2 trials... plus another 2 guildies that there was no room for (they hadn't signed). So that was nice!

This month I am looking to try to increase forum activity. We are also implementing a member of the month with shiny prizes. Next month I am going to look at guild achieves (the ones with no real prizes persay) like classic dungeons - if we can do them as groups it should be more fun for all. I also have some interest from people to pick up individual achieves so will do something to target both at once. I'm considering a leveling race. Raid days are fine... it's the rest of the time we need to pimp things up a bit!

Death runs are good to try - its all about a few drinks, friends, and being seriously undergeared for the content. Bring lots of food.

Also I'm obviously awesome, which helps.

These are cool ideas! I really like this undergeared dungeon idea. I saw something in a blue post that I thought may get implimented, a scaling down of gear and stats at the player direction allowing characters to do old content at level. The post said something about technoligy that scaled up, so i should think the reverse could also be true. Wouldnt that be cool, when was the last time a guild could do an old raid at level?

Yeh that's a nice idea but it is pretty difficulty to have that many people at the same time - which is why a levelinbg competition would work because there would be a bunch of people at the same stage allowing level appropriate raid content!

These are cool ideas! I really like this undergeared dungeon idea. I saw something in a blue post that I thought may get implimented, a scaling down of gear and stats at the player direction allowing characters to do old content at level. The post said something about technoligy that scaled up, so i should think the reverse could also be true. Wouldnt that be cool, when was the last time a guild could do an old raid at level?

They definitely have the technology to do this in Mists of Pandaria. During raid testing, if you have T13 gear, it automatically get scaled up to Mists of Pandaria entry level raid gear. Some people even went to farm older tier because they preferred their bonuses. It can't be that much more complicated to scale things down.

Also, downscaling gear is going to be implemented in Guild Wars 2, so Blizzard is probably going to make a move in the same direction.