FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

Green Fire: Quest Line + Kanrethad strategy

We have released a video for the Green Fire quest line, which you can find embedded above. While the quest line is not that difficult, the fight against Kanrethad Ebonlocke (which starts at 03m47s in the video) is very complex.

The video should provide you with the proper strategy for the fight, but we feel that it is important to also have a written format of the guide (especially for things that we could not put in the video, like macros).

We would like to thank Zinnin (Youtube / Twitch) from the US guild Midnight Sanctuary for providing us with footage of the boss.

The first piece of advice for this boss is to use warlock_grimoireofsacrifice.jpgGrimoire of Sacrifice. You will not be able to use a demon for this fight, as you will have to enslave a Pit Lord. So, if you were using one of your demons, it would end up being dismissed anyway.

Once Kanrethad is summoned, you will be able to attack him freely for 20 seconds without him doing anything, so pop up cooldowns and burn him down.

After 20 seconds, he will summon a Pit Lord, which you need to enslave. We strongly recommend making an spell_shadow_enslavedemon.jpgEnslave Demon macro:

/target Pit Lord/cast Enslave Demon

Otherwise, you run the risk of him stunning you before you finish casting Enslave Demon, wasting a few seconds.

Once enslaved, the Pit Lord will assist you against Kanrethad. He has three abilities that you will find useful.

• spell_fire_felflamebreath.jpgFel Flame Breath deals 25k damage every second to every unit and player in its path. It lasts 3 seconds and every time you take damage from it, it dispells a debuff from you. This ability will be extremely useful. You will need to make two macros for
    it, see below.
  • ability_warrior_charge.jpgCharge enables you to stun Kanrethad for a few seconds. This ability is designed to help you interrupt achievement_zone_cataclysmgreen.jpgCataclysm, an ability that would otherwise kill you.
  • Health Funnel heals you for about 300k on a 20-second cooldown. Bind it and use it as often as possible.

The first macro will cast Fel Flame Breath on you, use it to remove the debuffs that Kanrethad applies on you (see below).

/cast [@player] Fel Flame Breath

The second macro will cast Fel Flame Breath on a random Wild Imp (adds that Kanrethad sometimes spawn and that you should keep grouped up).

/target Wild Imp/petattack/cast Fel Flame Breath/targetlasttarget/petattack

The next thing Kanrethad will do is cast spell_shadow_auraofdarkness.jpgCurse of Ultimate Doom on you. From that moment on, you have 7 minutes to kill him before you die. He will also keep trying to apply spell_shadow_curseofsargeras.jpgExcruciating Agony and spell_shadow_seedofdestruction.jpgSeed of Terrible Destruction on you. You must keep dispelling them with the Pit Lord's Fel Flame Breath.

Approximately every minute, Kanrethad will cast ability_warlock_chaosbolt.jpgChaos Bolt at you. While you can interrupt his cast with the Pit Lord's Charge, we recommend you saving it for Cataclysm. Instead, use warlock_sacrificial_pact.jpgSacrificial Pact and spell_fire_twilightfireward.jpgTwilight Ward to mitigate the damage from Kanrethad's Chaos Bolt.

Shortly after, Kanrethad will cast Cataclysm. Interrupt it with Charge. For the next 6 seconds, Kanrethad will take 100% increased damage, so try to do as much damage on him as possible during that time.

Roughly 1 minute after summoning the Pit Lord, Kanrethad will summon Wild Imps. Your goal here is to run all the way back as far as you can, so that the Imps group up in the center. Then, use ability_warlock_shadowfurytga.jpgShadowfury to stun them and use the Pit Lord's Fel Flame Breath macro to damage them. Finally, use your Demonic Gate to reset your threat and your Pit Lord will keep aggro on them. His subsequent casts of Fel Flame Breath should eventually kill them. You can use some of your AoE abilities to finish them off, if necessary.

Other than trying to apply his debuffs on you, Kanrethad will also often target you with spell_fire_felrainoffire.jpgRain of Fire, which you need to move out of, and spell_fire_fireball02.jpgSoul Fire, which deals unavoidable damage.

Approximately 1 minute after summoning the Wild Imps, Kanrethad will summon 3 Felhunters. Killing these Felhunters as fast as you can is the most crucial part of the fight. They have the ability to dispel your Enslave Demon off of the Pit Lord, which can be extremely problematic. When Kanrethad is summoning
the Felhunter, you should use your Demonic Circle to travel as far as you can from the portal. Then instruct your Pit Lord to run as far away from you as possible. This will ensure that the Pit Lord is out of range from the Felhunters.

When the Felhunters spawn, use all your offensive cooldowns to kill them fast. Also, make sure to make good use of your defensive cooldowns, because Kanrethad will use his very damaging Chaos Bolt shortly after you kill the Felhunters.

One minute later, Kanrethad will summon a Doom Lord. We advise to let the Pit Lord get aggro on it by hitting it with the Fel Flame Breath. Then use the Demonic Gate to reset your aggro. This way, the Doom Lord will keep attacking the Pit Lord and will not pose any threat to you.

From that moment on, the fight is just a repetition of itself. After 1 minute, you will get a new wave of Imps and 1 minute later, a new wave of Felhunters. You need to deal with these waves in the exact same manner as you previously did. We advise you to refresh your Enslave Demon on the Pit Lord before the second wave of Imps, so that it does not expire while you are fighting the Imps.

The second Doom Lord should be handled by keeping him banished.

Community suggested weak aura string:

https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/1630-warlock-green-fire-quest-line-kanrethad-strategy/?p=17778

• Like 2

There's a small issue with the video, it's shorter than it should be. I'll fix it ASAP.

do you know where the tome drops from? there seems to be some confusion amongst the various websites i've search with the initial 5.1 version and the 5.2.

do they drop from any mob in isle of thunder or am i looking for zandalari scouts in pandaria or mobs in krasarang?

Edited by Cthuulhu

As far as I know, they drop from mobs on the Isle of the Thunder. It's just a rare drop that you will have a low chance to loot from almost every mob, although rare elites may have a slightly higher chance to drop them.

Thank you. This is hands down one of the most challenging things I've ever experienced in the game. I got the Tome after 6 or so kills of rare spawns. I got extremely lucky. You DO NOT have to be the first person/lock to target a rare spawn. Everyone that taps it has their own RNG loot table so if you see a Tome drop but can't loot it, it dropped for another Warlock and not you. No idea if it drops off normal mobs, but it's not worth trying to grind them. Also, Glyph of Enslave Demon is nice.

When I did it I just expected the felhounds to dispel the enslave demon. I found it easier than worrying about running away and getting my pit lord out of range, etc. when the felhounds were getting summoned I would just send my pit lord as far away as possible, havoc/CB two of the felhounds, then shadowfury all 3 and fear the pit lord while I finished off the felhounds. I found this worked a lot easier and was a lot more repeatable.

Also I just banished the first Doom Lord and rebanished as necessary. With my item level (513) I was able to kill the boss just before the 2nd wave of felhounds.

Definitely a rewarding and unforgiving fight. I'd expect people with item levels below 500 to struggle a bit. I don't think it would be impossible, but I do think Blizzard tuned the encounter with 500+ in mind.

When I did it I just expected the felhounds to dispel the enslave demon. I found it easier than worrying about running away and getting my pit lord out of range, etc. when the felhounds were getting summoned I would just send my pit lord as far away as possible, havoc/CB two of the felhounds, then shadowfury all 3 and fear the pit lord while I finished off the felhounds. I found this worked a lot easier and was a lot more repeatable.

Also I just banished the first Doom Lord and rebanished as necessary. With my item level (513) I was able to kill the boss just before the 2nd wave of felhounds.

Definitely a rewarding and unforgiving fight. I'd expect people with item levels below 500 to struggle a bit. I don't think it would be impossible, but I do think Blizzard tuned the encounter with 500+ in mind.

I'm 499 and this is easily the most difficult thing I've ever encountered in the game. I heard it was hard and didn't really believe it. I'm wondering if anyone under 500 has been able to do it because I'm losing hope. I'm on hour six. It still seems doable, hardest part is burning the felhunters down faster enough. If you put the Pit Lord too far out, he won't be able to get back in time to interrupt Cataclysm.

I think this is FUCKING awesome though. Like.. WAY awesome. First off, the lore is incredible. Really makes you feel something to play a lock. Secondly, you have to know this class in and out. Truly feels like something that's earned. *Still have yet to kill him. Some tips:

-macro for Doom Lord

/tar Doom Lord

/focus

/cast Banish

- helps me manage banishing

hotkey the pet's Move To in order to place the Pit Lord faster. hotkey everything.

I had a derp moment of noticing that once enslaved, the pit lord doesnt default attack. I had to change that and I also throw out a fel flame breath too at first because I can dispell the first dot with imp sac.

One the first set of felhunters, use a intellect potion. That should help immensely with getting them down quick enough. Can save Infernal for second set of felhunters.

Edited by Chobani

Great guide guys!

I've been bashing my head against the wall named Kanrethad for about 3 hours and its pretty damn frustrating lol. It's definitely a blast though to actually be challenged and know that the only thing holding me back is myself.

I'm 489 ilvl and I think this is doable, but holy crap...I struggle with the first rotation and once it comes to juggling 2 doomlords its pretty much gg. I haven't come close to the 7 min "debuff timer" yet and from what I can tell if I just could handle the mechanics I'd have it dps-wise. Having a 500+ ilvl would definitely be a nice buffer, but I think this is good so that people with casual lock alts won't be able to get it as easily.

I'll keep trying Posted Image, but it always seems that just when I think I'm doing everything right I realize that there's a chaos bolt headed for my face...lol

Note: I've used a blend of the strategy posted here and the strat I watched Lore from TS use since I watched him stream it yesterday. My best advice for the Felhunter phase beyond using DPS CDs is that SacPact is definitely your friend. That FFB macro made things a helluva lot easier as well!

Try to enter the second imp phase with him under 20%. The second you get the Pit Lord, chain stun him and precast a chaos bolt. You'll be able to land two with his increased damage buff. If he tries to cast cata before the first imp phase, it always fails so you don't risk not having charge on CD. I was being extremely liberal with the charge CD. If you've wiped long enough like me, youll know when you can get away with charging.

• Like 1

GOD I WANT THIS TOME! Why are all the Warlocks who can't beat this guy getting the tome?! :(

GOD I WANT THIS TOME! Why are all the Warlocks who can't beat this guy getting the tome?! Posted Image

Zagam, you should put the fight with Kanrethad on youtube when you find the tome.

Anyone know the drop chance on the Tome?

Stream my kill? Oy...maybe. Depends on how confident I am. I just want to try it. The Tarecgosa chain was brutal enough...if this is harder...well, let's just say I'll have to do it on a Saturday morning.

GOD I WANT THIS TOME! Why are all the Warlocks who can't beat this guy getting the tome?! :(

LOL! It dropped for me on my Mage! Just kidding :P

Try to enter the second imp phase with him under 20%. The second you get the Pit Lord, chain stun him and precast a chaos bolt. You'll be able to land two with his increased damage buff. If he tries to cast cata before the first imp phase, it always fails so you don't risk not having charge on CD. I was being extremely liberal with the charge CD. If you've wiped long enough like me, youll know when you can get away with charging.

You are my hero! I wasn't using Charge except during Cataclysms, but using it whenever I could without risking it being on CD for a Cata helped so much! GGGGRRRRRREEEEEENNNNN FFFFIIIIRRRRREEEEEE Woot! Posted Image

Killed him right before the 3rd imp phase with a 489 ilvl.

Sorry. I'd normally celebrate in guild chat, but noone is on atm lol

Edited by Cruzan

You are my hero! I wasn't using Charge except during Cataclysms, but using it whenever I could without risking it being on CD for a Cata helped so much! GGGGRRRRRREEEEEENNNNN FFFFIIIIRRRRREEEEEE Woot! Posted Image

Killed him right before the 3rd imp phase with a 489 ilvl.

Sorry. I'd normally celebrate in guild chat, but noone is on atm lol

Congrats! I got it too shortly after trying this strat out. Ugh. That was awesome.

FYI: You don't have to run the Pit Lord all the way to the boondocks to avoid enslave dispel. Just put him around the corner of one of the big dragon hand statue things and park him there. Make sure you put him on passive or else he'll come back out and start assisting you again.

Just thought I'd add my two cents in hopes it might help someone who is stuck on this. I definitely had to go Destro for this, which I wasn't thrilled about, but it really did make the fight easier.

The important part that I am going to add was that I found the imp (counter to most people saccing the VW for Shadow Bulwark) to be the best choice for sacrificing on this encounter because of Singe Magic via Command Demon. While it is incredible in general because of the constant dots that Kenrethad has rolling on you, but most especially for the transition after Kanrethad casts Cataclysm and he is about to summon the felhunters. Having Singe Magic and spamming it on cooldown whenever your Pit Lord is across the room and unable to dispell you is clutch, and is literally the difference between living and dying.

Also, I'm not sure if the video explained this already, but in case it hasn't, Purification Potion removes the Curse of Ultimate Doom that kills you after 7 minutes. You can use it once during the fight, so use it when there is about a minute or so before it is going to hit, which will give you a few extra minutes to kill him.

Grats to fellow locks who also have that green juice; good luck to those who are working on it, and I hope this helped somebody out there.

just found this thread after I beat this guy and I thought I would throw in some tips. First off, I'm ilvl 502, it was difficult but very doable.

For talents I would go with Soul Leech, Shadowfury, Sac Pact, Unbound Will, Grim of Sac and KC (you could go with MF if you want but I like to dps and move). Most of the talents are self explanitory on why but Unbound Will is great addition. The main reason is it will remove ALL magic effects on you with a 1 min cd. So combine that with imp sac (singe magic) you should have no problem keeping his dots off you during the encounter. I used Unbound when I had my demon moved away, then when he begins to channel for the puppies, use unbound will and remove all the dots on you. Another thing I did with the fel imps was to just stand next to your enslaved demon and let them pool up there, after halfway through his cast shadowfury the imps there to stun them and then when he finishes and all the imps are out use the demons charge stun (its an aoe stun). Use your gateway to reset your threat after you use the fel flame breath. Kills most of them and use your rain to finish up the rest. Save these embers, you should have 4 by now. You want to have atleast 3 for the fel puppies so use maybe 1 cb when you stun him for cataclysm.

When the fel puppies arrive,demon soul> immolate>conflag>havoc the first one. Then CB the second one, the first one should be dead and you can shadowburn the second. I used shadowfury on the third and killed it with 1 chaos bolt and shadowburn. The fel puppies is what makes the fight really annoying, get your enslaved demon beind a pillar by the stairs to the platform so they dont release him. Just make sure once the puppies are dead to bring him back asap. Kan will cast a chaos bolt and almost immediately go into channeling cataclysm so you want the demon back for hp regen and the stun to interrupt cata. After the first wave of fel puppies are down and you are through the cataclysm stun with your demon, dismiss the demon and re enslave. You wont have to worry about him breaking free the rest of the fight. When he summons the doomguard, put the demon on him with a fel flame breath, reset aggro with gateway and then put the enslaved demon on Kan again. The enslaved demon should have enough aggro (and plenty of hp) so the doomguard wont bother you. You can do the same thing for the second one too, dont worry about banishing just let the enslaved demon tank them for you. Reset your aggro with the gateway every now and then to help with this too. The part that really helped me was to use my doomguard when Kan was sub 20%, summoned doomguards (not the one that Kan summons) does extra dmg sub 20 so its a nice boost coupled with a pot and dark soul.

Another thing to try to do is to pool 4 embers when he is around 22-25%. Once he gets sub 20%, spam shadowburn. If you get a 3rd wave of imps (which will put you close to the enrage) dont kill the imps. Stun them and drop rain on them, this will give you pretty much infinite embers and you can spam shadowburn the whole time. This is of coarse if you get a 3rd wave, I did a few times. Also, by enrage I mean the Curse of Doom dot he puts on you, it has a 7min timer on it and he applies it after he summons the demon you enslave so the fight has around 7.5min duration possible.

In my gear I had him to 47% by the end of the first round and finished him off after the 2nd doomguard popped. I highly recommend using a flask and 300 food if your ilvl is 500 or below. If you try this as affliction, good luck. my main spec is aff and I spent some time trying it. It was not pretty, there are too many burn phases that destro is just too perfect for (plus who doesnt like seeing 650k+ chaos bolts when he is stunned. Good luck and keep at it, its a fight of control and like a lot of other posters have said it is very difficult but well worth it.

• Like 1

If you try this as affliction, good luck. my main spec is aff and I spent some time trying it. It was not pretty, there are too many burn phases that destro is just too perfect for (plus who doesnt like seeing 650k+ chaos bolts when he is stunned. Good luck and keep at it, its a fight of control and like a lot of other posters have said it is very difficult but well worth it.

My main spec is also Affliction, I killed him last night after too many wipes (30+). Definitely imps and felhounds was the hardest part as Aff.

After a couple of 1-5% wipes (Doom enrage), what really worked for me was to use charge every time i could, without risking being on CD for Cata.

I used de LoS strat for chaos bolts. Send Pit Lord far away to win some time to kill felhounds and recast enslave demon in case your previous enslave is dispelled (happened to me a lot). Don't forget flask, pre-pot and int food.

Armory: http://us.battle.net...s/Lokita/simple

Edited by Academico

Hey all, Just beat this as affliction. I am 501 ilvl and didnt have any dps problems. Just save 3 shards and your dark soul for the 3 fel hunters, soul swap and burn. It took me around 5 hours. This is definitely not for the casual lock unfortunately, and was impressive how difficult it was. Im sure destro works better, I am just not comfortable with it since I never really played it. Affliction didnt hold me back at all. Also important to make sure you have a shard or to for the charge. This fight is extremely frustrating and difficult so be prepared to wipe till you get it right!

Downed this boss as 493 ilvl destruction warlock (http://eu.battle.net.../Rydaa/advanced), had 8 seconds left on the curse debuff. This took roughly 3 hours of tries. some tips:

1. Place your demonic circle on the pillar left or right to the boss's gateway, it can be used to line of sight the boss if necessary (enslave purged and you are far away from 100% health for sac pact, or the guardian's heal on cd).

2. On felhunter phase - make sure to move the pit lord away, but when you do so - run towards the place you are sending it. that way, you will achieve bigger range, and afterwards run back and make sure you are not standing on the pitlord's side when the felhunters are coming. I found it less likely to be dispelled this way - I didn't have to re-enslave until the second wave of felhunters (pulled him on purpose - because the enslave demon buff lasts for 5 minutes). The time when you want to send your pitlord away is right after the cataclysm cast is interrupted.

3. Don't spec into ember tap!! You are going to need the burst healing in order to reach 100% in case pitlord's heal is unavailable (not enslaved or on cd) so you can use sac pact for chaos bolt (or port).

4. Personally, I didn't use a gateway to reset my threat. I let my pitlord hit the doomguard 2-3 times and that was more than enough threat so i wouldn't have to bother with it. I let my pitlord tank both the doomguards, no need to bother with banish - it can take quite a beating.

5. At third wave of imps (which is when you have about 10-20 seconds left), do not send your pitlord to slay them. Boss should be at around 10% if you are going to seal the deal then, and you can use rain of fire to get loads of embers and this will allow you to spam shadowburn.

6. You can use the pitlord's charge more often than you think. Just make sure you have the charge up for the cataclysm cast, and precast chaos bolts into the charge, especially if you lack the damage.

7. When seed of destruction damages you, an imp will spawn on you and stun you from time to time. It is worth it to spec into Unbound Will and remove these dots if necessary on felhunter phase, when the pitlord cannot dispel you. This stun might result in a wipe, especially on felhunter phase.

8. Use an int potion if you don't have procs up and felhunters are up. My chaosbolt without procs didn't get the felhunters under 20% with no procs, the potion should give the necessary push (although on my kill, I used my potion when boss was 20%).

9. Don't forget you can still summon a doomguard even if the pitlord's enslaved

10. Make use of Soulshatter if you do gain agro over the pitlord on the doomguards.

11. When you engage, make sure you wait a bit before you use pitlord's breath - so that ~2 dots are applied on you and the fire AoE of the boss is used. this way, you will be able to clean yourself without taking additional dmg

12. Stand in melee range of bosspitlord so that you dont have to move it around when using breath.

One last thing, do not forfeit if you mess something up - my kill wasn't perfect and I'm not destruction by main spec (and so gear was optimized for affliction). It is very doable.

GL!

Edited by Ryda

I got it on Friday with 496 ilvl. I made some mistakes. It got especially hairy on the 2nd fel puppy phase and I'm not sure how I lived (thanks ember tap?), but it was very enjoyable and rewarding. =)