FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Vladamyr

5.2 Mage Status

Wow! Anyone else having problems? I'm not sure what I could be doing wrong but my dps is total garbage now? He just got benched for my paly till I can get this figured out.

Snap ... I'm Fire though and was expecting it to be bad.

I'd missed the glyph of Fire Blast nerf ... it no longer spreads living bomb *sigh*

Frost is doing fine. I did roughly 160k dps on the first boss of ToT last night (I have only one piece of heroic gear), that includes the 50% damage buff for part of the fight. Rotation and stats seems to be roughly the same as last patch.

As far as fire goes, I don't think it's going to flourish until we see heroic gear from this tier. Fire scales very well with gear, but is always weaker at the start.

I've been messing with Arcane a bit too -- the sustained numbers are definitely lower. Burst is still pretty solid though, especially with the stack changes. I've been burning all of my mana and then using the stacks with invocation to get back to full instantly. I wasn't getting much dps with rune of power.

Edited by myhammy

I am worried about the changes from the patch. I've run all of LFR (missed the raid last night) and estimate approximately a 10k drop (at least) in total average dps.

I'll be interested to know if you find a reformulation for the spec. In particular, it seems that crit is less important than before. spell_fire_fireball02.jpgPyroblast and ability_mage_hotstreak.jpgHeating Up both took a reduction in importance. Perhaps it's time to take a new look at stat priority and run some simulations. We know mastery has increased in value relative to crit but how much? Also, have the haste caps changed with the patch?

As for play style, I now manually dot 3 targets with ability_mage_livingbomb.jpgLiving Bomb but it may be time to have another look at spell_mage_frostbomb.jpgFrost Bomb. Also it's nice to have scorch and pom so I now get more dps on the move without changing talents.