FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Mageisty

Frost mage Haste, Crit, & Mastery.....

After reading the guides, I have one question with does not seem to have a firm answer. After being hit capped, as a frost mage, what level do you aim for in :

-Haste

-Crit

-Mastery

Is there a % to gear for or is it 'as much haste till you hit the GC' and then as much crit up to 28% (raid) and then ?? mastery ?

28% crit seems 'difficult' to attain and maintain hit and hast focus.

http://us.battle.net...geisty/advanced

After reading the guides, I have one question with does not seem to have a firm answer. After being hit capped, as a frost mage, what level do you aim for in :

-Haste

-Crit

-Mastery

Is there a % to gear for or is it 'as much haste till you hit the GC' and then as much crit up to 28% (raid) and then ?? mastery ?

Well you can just do exactly that, as iirc it is the "ideal" way to do your frost mage's stats.

Personally, I do my mage just a little bit differently since the "ideal" way is a little bit of a pipe dream.

So, are you looking for opinions or facts here?

~Sage

You have a lot of item levels before you really have to worry about having too much haste. When you do incur too much haste, which is when during bloodlust you can't use icy veins without hitting < 1 second global cooldowns, you can use the glyph for a bigger buffer.

In short, the only reasonable cap frost mages have is the 28% crit, and even that will not be obtained in this item tier without sacrificing haste you can still make use of.

Edited by omicron

-Haste

-Crit

-Mastery

As was already pointed out, the Crit cap is not something you must aim to attain. All it means is that if you somehow reach it, which is unlikely because you prioritize Haste Rating over Critical Strike Rating, then you can start reforging Critical Strike Rating into Mastery Rating.

i'd like to read some theorycrafting/numbers that support this stats weights. I dont understand why Haste is always more important than getting the crit cap. The reason for this is that nether tempest gains a tick at 20%, and then another at 37%. There is a gap too big in the middle. Lets say i have 28% haste WITH frost armor, and 20% crit... maybe i could go down to 20% haste, and 28% crit. will ensure all my ffb/ice lance are crits, and keep the extra tick for NT. I havent done any math on casting time reduction, if someone can link me to something like that to show me why im wrong i'd appreciate it.

i'd like to read some theorycrafting/numbers that support this stats weights. I dont understand why Haste is always more important than getting the crit cap. The reason for this is that nether tempest gains a tick at 20%, and then another at 37%. There is a gap too big in the middle. Lets say i have 28% haste WITH frost armor, and 20% crit... maybe i could go down to 20% haste, and 28% crit. will ensure all my ffb/ice lance are crits, and keep the extra tick for NT. I havent done any math on casting time reduction, if someone can link me to something like that to show me why im wrong i'd appreciate it.

The reasoning for going haste over crit, if I recall correctly here is to get the cast time on Frostbolt down as well as the global cooldown outside of heroism and so on. The more frostbolts you cast, the more you will (hopefully) proc fingers of frost. While you are already sitting at 80% crit with Ice lance and Frostfire bolt due to shatter.

Sadly I don't have the "proper" theorycrafting behind this available but this is what I have managed to find out by reading in the past. I am not sure but I think that haste might also effect the cast time on waterbolt by the water elemental.

you want to get your haste to around 15% to start with to give yourself a decent cast speed and DoT effects, then you want to focus on your crit aswell as getting bits of mastery where you can, you can also use www.askmrrobot.com to help you sort out your gemming, enchants and reforging for the maximame DPS.

Then, if getting lower cast time is more important than critting with the proc spells (which are behind the casted frostbolt on recount), i wonder if reforging all to haste is worth it? Or keep my balance. I dont really trust mrrobot, i trust players more.

you want to get your haste to around 15% to start with to give yourself a decent cast speed and DoT effects, then you want to focus on your crit aswell as getting bits of mastery where you can, you can also use www.askmrrobot.com to help you sort out your gemming, enchants and reforging for the maximame DPS.

Please provide some hard factual data for your observations.

The frost mage stat priority is: Intellect > Hit to cap > Haste > Crit to cap > Mastery

This has stat priority has been generated from multiple sources and NO there is no priority where you get to 15% haste then go in a different direction.

Then, if getting lower cast time is more important than critting with the proc spells (which are behind the casted frostbolt on recount), i wonder if reforging all to haste is worth it? Or keep my balance. I dont really trust mrrobot, i trust players more.

The only difference from askmrrobot is that, I am using pure haste gems instead of int+haste which is like 500 DPS loss on patchwerk fights, but much more gain on encounters with movement. Other than that, you can trust Mr. Robot, following his guide I always reach my simcrafted DPS ; D

• Like 1