FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
PsyBomb

Making the best of bad arenas?

I'm not here handing out advice, unfortunately. Just asking for it. I'm in the process of a Paladin arena run, but started 0-2. It really sucks, since I was doing it without external references for the first time and really thought I had something good going (two Muster, two Murlock Knight, two Keeper, a Kraken, a Sword of Justice, plus quite a few other solid cards).

What is the best you've done off of an 0-2 start? What did you do to turn it around? Not really asking for anything card-specific, more a mental thing if you have it.

Take a deep breath. Tell yourself, "If I lose this one, all the stress will be over. I will get to open a pack! I wonder what could it be? What if it is a legendary? OOOOOH, Arch mage Antonidas, here I come!" And then play to the best of your capabilities. I had 2 loses with a druid and then ended up wining 5 in a row. Or maybe it was 3? Well it gave me more wins than loses that's for sure.

• Like 1

Ended up with three wins, got 50g and the pack got me my second Argent Horserider, so there's that. Thanks for that, though I do still wonder about others here.

I average 3.19 wins in 36 arena runs: so there's no need to listen to me, but...

All sorts of weird things happen in Arena: my best run ever was 10 wins with Warrior, but I lost the second game.  I've lost the first two with Mage, then won the next three.  I've lost the first two with Rogue, then won the next three.  You never know how it's going to go.  So much luck (of the draw, never mind the RNG), and so many skilled players out there.

My best deck is Warrior (that's what I get for listening to Kripparian), then Paladain, then Mage & Druid tied.  Worst is Hunter: it should have a warning label on it to not bother.

I figure the prize is nearly always worth it: although I'm jealous of anyone who can maintain a higher average win.  Maybe I'll get better over time.  I never know what the best curve to pick is.

I got to 7 wins after an 0-2 start with a Druid. Got 11 wins with a pally then lost the next three. I average about 4 wins a run, some are much higher, some are 1 win runs. Arena is all about who has the right cards at the right time and how you play them. Seems paladin is the best arena hero by far. The drop off seems pretty significant after that.

I've been able to pull 3-4 (maybe 5?) from a 0-2 start.  I'm no expert, either, though - my very best Arena runs so far have ended with 7 wins (I've done this with Hunter, Paladin and Rogue).  People seem to like Paladin for arena, but aside from one good run I haven't had much luck with him.  Perhaps it's because I don't play a lot of Paladin in constructed (I'm missing a lot of the quality Paladin cards).  I will pick Mage or Rogue as a first choice, Paladin second, and if none of the above are available I usually try to default to Hunter (Hunter and Druid are my strengths in constructed).  Warrior would be my absolute last choice - his hero power is useless in arena.  All this said, I don't know if there's any truth to this, but it sure seems that you're more likely to get better stuff out of your card pack if you don't win many matches.

There are matches in Hearthstone when luck matters much more than skill. And the percentage of such matches in arena is even higher.

So the main rule is to never give up. Just yesterday I won the game that seemed to be lost by drawing treants + savage roar combo. And during my first 12 win run I got 2 losses quite early.

The trick is that the games tries to match you with a person who has the same win/loss count. If you have 0-2, this means you will be matched with another player who has 0-2. Therefore, you have a higher chance to win. The fact that you have 0-2 probably means that your deck is not that good, but it's still quite possible to score from 3 to 6 wins after having 2 losses. And even 3-3 arena run is profitable (even though it might not be that fun since losing a lot early almost always means you were unlucky at draft).

There are matches in Hearthstone when luck matters much more than skill. And the percentage of such matches in arena is even higher.

So the main rule is to never give up. Just yesterday I won the game that seemed to be lost by drawing treants + savage roar combo. And during my first 12 win run I got 2 losses quite early.

The trick is that the games tries to match you with a person who has the same win/loss count. If you have 0-2, this means you will be matched with another player who has 0-2. Therefore, you have a higher chance to win. The fact that you have 0-2 probably means that your deck is not that good, but it's still quite possible to score from 3 to 6 wins after having 2 losses. And even 3-3 arena run is profitable (even though it might not be that fun since losing a lot early almost always means you were unlucky at draft).

I feel like arena requires more skill than constructed does, mainly because you can't really learn how to play the deck optimally. Also, the skill of your opponents goes up much faster than in constructed for each win.

3-win arena is not always profitable. In fact, you get on average less than 50 gold from a 3-3 run. 

That's not really a trick, that's just how arena matchmaking works. The fact you are matched against a person with 0-2 does not mean you are better than the other player. Your draft does not define anything below 3 wins. It doesn't matter how lucky I am during a draft, I can get at least 3 wins each time (I haven't had a run with less than three wins since the launch of BrM). The deck does matter, but not at such a low amount of wins.

• Like 1

I'm not here handing out advice, unfortunately. Just asking for it. I'm in the process of a Paladin arena run, but started 0-2. It really sucks, since I was doing it without external references for the first time and really thought I had something good going (two Muster, two Murlock Knight, two Keeper, a Kraken, a Sword of Justice, plus quite a few other solid cards).

What is the best you've done off of an 0-2 start? What did you do to turn it around? Not really asking for anything card-specific, more a mental thing if you have it.

Always remember that the game tries to pair you with players on a similar score. Take a moment to tell yourself that any time that you have lost twice. There's a very good chance you're playing another person on 0-2, and there's a good chance that person is on tilt or has a horrible deck. If you can react to the position better than they can, you can get that first win on the board. That usually settles the nerves and you'll still likely be playing against weak players and/or weak decks.

Even very good players like Kripparian have occasional 0-3 arena runs due to unlucky drafts and draws. 

Even very good players like Kripparian have occasional 0-3 arena runs due to unlucky drafts and draws.

Trump Cards had an 0-3 Warrior run recently when he thought the deck was going to go to 12. Reasons why I don't like Fel Reaver #58.

I feel like arena requires more skill than constructed does, mainly because you can't really learn how to play the deck optimally. Also, the skill of your opponents goes up much faster than in constructed for each win.

3-win arena is not always profitable. In fact, you get on average less than 50 gold from a 3-3 run. 

That's not really a trick, that's just how arena matchmaking works. The fact you are matched against a person with 0-2 does not mean you are better than the other player. Your draft does not define anything below 3 wins. It doesn't matter how lucky I am during a draft, I can get at least 3 wins each time (I haven't had a run with less than three wins since the launch of BrM). The deck does matter, but not at such a low amount of wins.

True, I think i got to somewhere between 7-9 wins from 0-2 once. The thing about matchmaking is that when you're 0-0, you can get matched with anyone that also has that stats, so literally any deck. If that deck happens to be really good you just lose sometimes, if you draw poorly the second game, you're 0-2, even with a good deck.

Now, I'm not telling anyone to blame their losses to rng, it's just that a lost game or 2 can happen to anyone with any deck. Even after a couple wins, if you're 7-2 for example, you could have bad luck and lose the next one, or win it barely just to go 12-2. That's just hearthstone, it's not a single game that defines your "skill" it's your winrate over a large amount of games, which you get over the course of like 500+ games through drafting and playing as good as you can.

Couple more Arenas in, 4 and 5 wins respectively. Thanks for the tips and outlook, the Hunter I drafted started 0-2 as well and got the five (though the fifth win was due mostly to a VERY lucky Deadly Shot).