FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
RunicLovePotion

Our Lvl 90 Talents - Why Incanters Ward is Good!

http://www.mmo-champ...09#post20439009

I think they have put quite an interesting topic in mmo-champion.

I'd like to emphasize what our friend zomgDPS said...

Just to show some spreads on the topic of IW usage (i.e. popping the bubble).

Here are some extremes.

Lets say you use IW on cooldown and manage to get the full 15 seconds of cranked DPS on the boss (along with 10 seconds of meh dps) during each and every time, your max dmult would be: 1.1238. (scales up with haste)

So basically, with the best ever possible usage, you will get ~12% bonus from IW.

Now, lets say you took an extra helping of herp when you bought your ticket to the light derptastic and manage (somehow) to use IW on cooldown but don't manage to actually do any DPS with it, basically, the worst possible scenario for IW, your dmult will be: 0.679, basically you lose ~32% damage for being a doofus.

Now say you are semi-pro and manage to get 1 really good IW popped for the entire fight (300 seconds), but for the rest of the fight you just use the normal passive bonus, your dmult would be: 1.0651, basically 6.5%

So the spread on IW usage is significant. It gives a good fallback option but also has the potential to actually nerf you pretty hard if used like a regular herpster.

Well, particularly, I never liked to spam IW, but if the indiscriminate spam of it is such a hard blow to the overall DPS then it comes against the common sense (I think) of the normal mages and It should be shared.

Just some thoughts and sorry for grammatical errors Posted Image

Edited by Johnzinho

http://www.mmo-champ...09#post20439009

I think they have put quite an interesting topic in mmo-champion.

I'd like to emphasize what our friend zomgDPS said...

Well, particularly, I never liked to spam IW, but if the indiscriminate spam of it is such a hard blow to the overall DPS then it comes against the common sense (I think) of the normal mages and It should be shared.

Just some thoughts and sorry for grammatical errors Posted Image

I've certainly found that the greatest equalizer for iWard in regards to the other two talents is its instant cast compared to their stationary usage.

Of course if you use it over the other two talents for this reason alone, then maybe your raid needs to find a new mage.

<.<;

~Sage

IW takes a lot of conscientious effort. I use this macro

#showtooltip

/cast [nomodifier] Ice Barrier; [modifier:alt] Incanter's Ward

They share a cool down time (they don't share the same cool down, they're each respectively 25 second downtime counters). This macro allows me to keep IB up at all times and Alt IW only when I can capitalize on it.

For soloing, if the mob gets close enough before I can kill it, I toss up an IW, take a few hits, CC, gain distance, shatter.

For dungeons/raids it's wise to only pop it when you know there is dmg inc that is unavoidable to capitalize on a sure 30%. Otherwise, the passive 6% is sufficient as long as I'm mitigating with IB and not suffering push back.

This macro makes it super easy for me.

Note: You can stack these and IW will take dmg absorbing priority. There is no order to which you HAVE to throw them up. My experience has been that you can stack them either way and IW will always take pri for dmg absorption for it's duration.

Edited by MattZales

Just to weigh in on IW (raiding perspective) it can be amazing when utilized properly, however it requires advanced skill in comparison to your other choices to pull ahead (unless the encounter is extremely high movement). Unless you understand the encounter mechanics and have a feel for when to properly use IW, I would highly recommend sticking with one of the other talents.

IW may end up pulling ahead by a significant amount but will be less forgiving and will even penalize you for poor usage.

Just to weigh in on IW (raiding perspective) it can be amazing when utilized properly, however it requires advanced skill in comparison to your other choices to pull ahead (unless the encounter is extremely high movement). Unless you understand the encounter mechanics and have a feel for when to properly use IW, I would highly recommend sticking with one of the other talents.

IW may end up pulling ahead by a significant amount but will be less forgiving and will even penalize you for poor usage.

That sums up all things

Don't forget that Alter Time is much more beneficial with Incanter's Ward (you can absorve twice the damage or simply extend the duration of the 30% bonus)

I've certainly found that the greatest equalizer for iWard in regards to the other two talents is its instant cast compared to their stationary usage.

Of course if you use it over the other two talents for this reason alone, then maybe your raid needs to find a new mage.

<.<;

~Sage

But I do hope they can make better level90 talents in some close future, I really don't like Invocation or Rune of Power.

Maybe it's me... *cries*

Edited by Johnzinho
  • Like 1

But I do hope they can make better level90 talents in some close future, I really don't like Invocation or Rune of Power.

Maybe it's me... *cries*

No, it's not you. No other class have level 90 talents that have so deep impact on your playing style.

Death knight: Gorefiend's Grasp Remorseless Winter Desecrated Ground

Druid: Heart of the Wild Dream of Cenarius Nature's Vigil

Hunter: Glaive Toss Powershot Barrage

Monk: Rushing Jade Wind Invoke Xuen, the White Tiger Chi Torpedo

Paladin: Holy Prism Light's Hammer Execution Sentence

Priest: Cascade Divine Star Halo

Rogue: Shuriken Toss Marked for Death Anticipation

Shaman: Unleashed Fury Primal Elementalist Elemental Blast

Warlock: Archimonde's Vengeance Kil'jaeden's Cunning Mannoroth's Fury

Warrior: Avatar Bloodbath Storm Bolt

None of the above has a major effect on how you play. Warlock's Kil'jaeden's Cunning is probably the 'strongest'. The rest are mainly situational cooldowns. But when a mage selects his level 90 talent he also decides how he is going to play. The talent dictates the very core of your playing style. Especially if you happen to be an Arcane mage.

No, I don't like the level 90 talents either.

• Like 2