FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Kikurazz

Rune Speed....WTF?

What's the deal with this new Rune Speed? My speed in fights had been very quick and my dps was nice (or at least comparable for my gear). I log in to do my dailies and everything has slowed down dramatically as well as my dps had almost been cut by 20% (which of course was due to the slow rune regen).

Has anyone else experienced this and if so, how have you corrected it? I am Frost 2-h speccd, should I start looking at unholy?

Any advice would be appreciated. Please keep the smart-azzed remarks to yourself.

If I understand you correctly you did a dungeon or raid before moving on to dailies. If you are in a dungeon from the dungeon finder, you get a buff which will significantly increase your dps. Now you said that you are 2h frist which means that you'll automatically get a haste buff, which should increase your rune regen. Unholy and frost have always been very close together, in my opiniom you should play whichever one is more fun for you.

If I understand you correctly you did a dungeon or raid before moving on to dailies. If you are in a dungeon from the dungeon finder, you get a buff which will significantly increase your dps. Now you said that you are 2h frist which means that you'll automatically get a haste buff, which should increase your rune regen. Unholy and frost have always been very close together, in my opiniom you should play whichever one is more fun for you.

No...I played one day and my rune generation was very fast. DPS was also high. The next day I logged in and everything was slowed dramatically. No raids, dungeons or groups. Just by logging in I noticed this difference. My rune generation in frost presence on this day was 9.56. I have always played in frost presence and its never been this slow. By gemming several (7) haste gems, it only brought it down to 8.86. If I switch to unholy presence, it drops to 8.02 which is closer to what I was at prior to the slowdown. I have read all the patch notes and can't seem to find anything on this. Just wondering why this changed or if anyone else is having the same trouble.

I appreciate all the wonderful advice on this topic. 601 views but no one can even come close to answering this question regarding the difference in haste between the presences.

Edited by Kikurazz

Your question sofar is "I logged in one day and I had a lot of rune regen, and high dps. Next time I logged in, I didn't!"

Please give us more data. Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor not a psychic.

You give a group haste buff as a Frost or Unholy DK, so you shouldn't of had different haste values from group to group. Again, I have no information regarding your situation. I can only tell you a simple answer to your question: No, I have not noticed any mysterious dips in rune regeneration myself.

Your question sofar is "I logged in one day and I had a lot of rune regen, and high dps. Next time I logged in, I didn't!"

Please give us more data. Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor not a psychic.

You give a group haste buff as a Frost or Unholy DK, so you shouldn't of had different haste values from group to group. Again, I have no information regarding your situation. I can only tell you a simple answer to your question: No, I have not noticed any mysterious dips in rune regeneration myself.

OK....let me attempt this again. As I stated in the initial post, one day while playing and every day prior, my haste, rune generation and dps was very fast. This was while playing SOLO....no groups, buffs or anything else concerning anyone else....just me.

The next day I logged in and everything went to crap. Haste wasnt there, Rune generation was very slow and my dps was cut in half. This was also in SOLO mode.....no groups, buffs, etc.

Just by logging in I noticed this difference. My rune generation in frost presence on this day was 9.56. I have always played in frost presence and its never been this slow. By gemming several (7) haste gems, it only brought it down to 8.86. If I switch to unholy presence, it drops to 8.02 which is closer to what I was at prior to the slowdown.

I am trying to figure out why 1 day everything is good and the next day it was all slowed down like it was. The only way I could get it down to a playable level was to gem all haste, reforge to haste and switch to unholy presence. Since I am frost specced I should be in frost presence. In frost presence, my haste jumps to like 9.02 even gemmed and reforged to haste. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this or may have advice as to what in the hell happened or how to fix it.I don't know what other info you would need to understand my situation. If this is not enough, please let me know what info you need and i'll provide it.

I believe I have found him.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/norgannon/Kikurazz/simple

I am going to be forced to shoot in the dark still, but my first gut instinct is that you had Runic Corruption and then switched to Runic Empowerment? At a glance, Runic Corruption can make you feel like you have outstanding amounts of haste, but mathematically it's very close to the amount of runes you would gain from the other options on that tier.

You should also always stay in Frost Presence for maximum dps. That allows more Frost Strikes which not only fills out your rotation nicely, it restores runes one way or another depending on your talent choice. You can also use a nice utility addon like reforgelite to smooth out your hit and expertise. You will soon acquire a lot of haste/strength/weapon dps on upgraded gear and you will feel much, much more viable.

As a frost DK you should only be in UH Presence when you are running, like back from a wipe. All the sims show a significant loss of dps when in UH, 2H or DW. Your core ability as a Frost DK, Improved FP, makes it mandatory for you to stay in Frost Presence. Being in UH presence will give you more haste but your dps will still drop. Actually FP beats UH on Runic Power Regen 20% vs 10%. Changing between any of the Tier 5 talents makes your play "feel" different but actually does very little to change the overall output, except if you game incorrectly or play BT badly, use the one your most comfortable with. Be carefull as you progress through 5.2 as you will get more Hit than you'll know what to do with, reforging correctly not to have too much excess Hit will help.

Edited by Amicitia

my first gut instinct is that you had Runic Corruption and then switched to Runic Empowerment?

Incorrect.....I have Runic Empowerment and always have since the start of MoP.

You should also always stay in Frost Presence for maximum dps.

Your core ability as a Frost DK, Improved FP, makes it mandatory for you to stay in Frost Presence.

I know this as I have stated this in my post.

OK...let me try to simplify this yet some more. This is my toon: http://us.battle.net...Kikurazz/simple

This is what I am experiencing:

In Frost Presence: Speed - 2.23; Haste-61.47; Rune Speed-9.36

In Unholy Pres.: Speed-2.02; Haste-77.61; Rune Speed-8.23

Now...If I am required to be in FP, explain to me why all these stats show otherwise?

Being in UH presence will give you more haste but your dps will still drop. Actually FP beats UH on Runic Power Regen 20% vs 10%

In Unholy Pres. my dps is running 35-40k, in FP my dps drops to 15-18k which I am assuming is because of the difference in rune speed which = rune generation.

Now for the part that is obviously confusing people. This all started happening March 9, 2013.I was not in a group/instance/dungeon or anything else but harvesting my crops in Halfhill fighting a varmint. Prior to March 9,2013, I did not have this issue. I can not tell you what these stats were at that time but they were better than they are now since I could tell a major difference in rune generation and dps.

Hopefully, with this information someone can help explain this.

Edited by Kikurazz

I am curious what your rotation is like. There should be no way you do more dps in UH pres if you are using your abilities correctly.

Edit: also in terms of why you want to be in FP over UH is that you will be using frost strike a lot and having it cost 15 less RP and having higher RP generation means its that much easier to use.

Only problem is that while 2h making sure you use Oblit with every killing machine proc instead of frost strike makes or breaks your dps. People like to spam frost strike and it is real easy to eat you KM's with frost strikes.

Edited by Tulk

That dps is way too low for a Frost DK so i would have to say that maybe you're pulling off the wrong rotation. Maybe Tulk is right and you are using the wrong Frost rotation. Make sure you use the correct one 2H or DW.

In regards to Unholy presence doing more dps, i can only assume that maybe the wrong rotation in the wrong presence actually does make a right, or maybe not.

My advice is to just check over the rotation here to see if you're missing something or maybe you could type out what you do and we can see if you're missing something.

I think further discussion on this with you Kik would be best done after you've read the Frost DK guide on this website instead of reiterating it here.

That dps is way too low for a Frost DK so i would have to say that maybe you're pulling off the wrong rotation. Maybe Tulk is right and you are using the wrong Frost rotation. Make sure you use the correct one 2H or DW.

My rotation I use is Outbreak, pest, DD then spam FS, when rime procs I'll HB and and yes when KM procs I'll use OB this is basically it.

I think further discussion on this with you Kik would be best done after you've read the Frost DK guide on this website instead of reiterating it here.

I have read this guide several times which is how I got my build, rotation, and everything else I use. I am not stupid so please quit referring it. I am reiterating it here because people keep reading things into my post that are not there. I know what I have experienced and if that's too hard to comprehend then just say so.

I don't want to sound rude, but I'm going to. You aren't doing your rotation correctly for 2 handed frost. You're doing 18k dps, pronouncing vague problems, and ignoring the actual guide to doing DPS. I never once called you stupid, those were your words friend.

"Spam FS" is definitely part of the problem. Obliterate is much higher priority for 2 handed frost. You would of known that if you would of read the guide several times like you explained. You use your rune replenishing abilities to get more Obliterates in. Regardless, I feel like no matter how much advice I give you, you're just going to get mad so this will be my last response to reduce clutter.

Ok I think some more information is needed since no one seems to be on the same page. Kikurazz, do you know how to get a WoL parse? That would be IMMENSELY helpful in diagnosing your problem. I can help walk you through getting a WoL parse if you do not know how.

I don't want to sound rude, but I'm going to. You aren't doing your rotation correctly for 2 handed frost. You're doing 18k dps, pronouncing vague problems, and ignoring the actual guide to doing DPS. I never once called you stupid, those were your words friend.

"Spam FS" is definitely part of the problem. Obliterate is much higher priority for 2 handed frost. You would of known that if you would of read the guide several times like you explained. You use your rune replenishing abilities to get more Obliterates in. Regardless, I feel like no matter how much advice I give you, you're just going to get mad so this will be my last response to reduce clutter.

I do use my OB everytime it is up i just didn't want to clutter things up by giving every key press I do.....As for advice, I re-read your previous posts and the only advice I see is 1) be in Frost Presence and 2) read the guide. These are things I have already done several times which I have explained in prior posts.

Ok I think some more information is needed since no one seems to be on the same page. Kikurazz, do you know how to get a WoL parse? That would be IMMENSELY helpful in diagnosing your problem. I can help walk you through getting a WoL parse if you do not know how.

No I don't know how to do this. I would greatly appreciate the help.

No I don't know how to do this. I would greatly appreciate the help.

To do a World of Logs parse, go here: http://www.worldoflogs.com/

Make an account, and register yourself to a 'guild' so you can upload logs.

Download the client by clicking client near the top right.

When in-game, type /combatlog then go run your LFR.

Once you're done, open the WoL client and upload your combat log, which will probably be located at C:\World of Warcraft\Logs\WoWCombatLog.txt.

Once that's done, just drop us a link to it here and people can take a look.

If any of that is confusing, perhaps someone else can explain it better.

Onto your rune speed issue, I'm not sure why yours would be only 9.36, as I have only ~800 haste more than you and my rune speed while in frost presence is 8.55.

To do a World of Logs parse, go here: http://www.worldoflogs.com/

Make an account, and register yourself to a 'guild' so you can upload logs.

Download the client by clicking client near the top right.

When in-game, type /combatlog then go run your LFR.

Once you're done, open the WoL client and upload your combat log, which will probably be located at C:World of WarcraftLogsWoWCombatLog.txt.

Once that's done, just drop us a link to it here and people can take a look.

If any of that is confusing, perhaps someone else can explain it better.

Onto your rune speed issue, I'm not sure why yours would be only 9.36, as I have only ~800 haste more than you and my rune speed while in frost presence is 8.55.

I'll give this a try...thx. As for the rune speed, this is my main issue. I don't understand it either. Which is why I posted. I have tried everything and can't figure it out. This is the main reason I have been frustrated here because everyone else that has posted has talked about something completely different than the main issue which is rune speed. Thanks again.

I checked your armory a few seconds ago, fine as regards to your issue, but no glyphs and no buckle, just saying. Your rotation for a 2H Frost is off by quite a bit. Let's just stick to a single target rotation, no need to bring in spreading diseases at this point. As a 2H Frost, FS should only be used in two cases: your RP capped, which from your rotation you stated can't be happening; or all else is on CD and it's a filler to keep you from RP capping. But never on any site has anyone ever stated that a Frost DK, either 2H or DW should ever "SPAM" FS. My guess at this point is that your using FS so much that your RP is completely drained most of the time which is hamstringing your ability to do anything else and you feel like your not regening quick enough, but it's only because you sucked down your RP so fast in the fist place. I don't believe you have a Rune Speed/Regen issue you have a RP Consumption issue which is easily fixed by laying off FS and using OB (mostly) and HB more often. Get yourself one of the many DK addons that clearly display your current RP and watch what happens when you click off 3-5 FS in a row. 2H DKs that have run some sims at iLevels close to his should be able to post the % FS, % OB & % HB you should be using during a fight.

To all the DKs who could jump on me about the "fine details" of a 2H rotation, let's walk before we run, okay?

Is anyone reading this topic correctly?

Everyone seems to be skipping over the poor guy's actual question: "What's the deal with the new rune speed? Has anyone else experienced this?", and instead launching into an explanation about rotation and DPS.

As he has said, he has a rune speed of 9.36 with a haste rating of 6527.

Meanwhile, my Death Knight has a rune speed of 8.55 with a haste rating of 7211.

Clearly there is some kind of inconsistency here (UI error?? o.O), which is what he is asking to be explained.

On my DK, I haven't seen any shifts for rune speed at all in 5.X. The only solution that comes to mind (after researching before posting) is that you maybe, might have been, in Improved Blood Stance, which, by chance, gives exactly a 20% to rune regneration. I am pretty sure you will say that isn't the case, so, get used to your "new" rune speed. I don't see the other coming back.....any time soon..........

I think we've all addressed that there has been no baseline loss of rune regen, and if there is something awry for him it could be an interface issue or just a mistake. The reason so many people are posting about things other than his original question was a result of everyone being shocked at a level 90 frost dk doing 18k dps, and we all knee-jerked reacted in a dps guiding way.

Everyone seems to be skipping over the poor guy's actual question: "What's the deal with the new rune speed? Has anyone else experienced this?", and instead launching into an explanation about rotation and DPS.

As he has said, he has a rune speed of 9.36 with a haste rating of 6527.

Meanwhile, my Death Knight has a rune speed of 8.55 with a haste rating of 7211.

Clearly there is some kind of inconsistency here (UI error?? o.O), which is what he is asking to be explained.

LMAO......Thank you....finally someone has read the post and not read anything else into it. I don't know if I have a glitch in the game or what happened. For Scook's explanation....it is possible I guess but I doubt it. I'm just going to uninstall the game and re-install. Maybe this will correct the issue.

I think we've all addressed that there has been no baseline loss of rune regen, and if there is something awry for him it could be an interface issue or just a mistake. The reason so many people are posting about things other than his original question was a result of everyone being shocked at a level 90 frost dk doing 18k dps, and we all knee-jerked reacted in a dps guiding way.

Actually, no one and I repeat NO ONE has ever addressed anything regarding regen loss, interface issue or the like. I topo am shocked at this drop in DPS but the main issue remains.....why is there such a loss going from FP to Unoly? you log on here and immediately talk about "read the guide" and "must be your rotation". If my rotation is off I appreciate the info on that but please stop reading unnecessary information into people's posts. This doesn't help them it confuses them. also, don't post false information to other posters to make yourself look better. It doesn't!!!!