FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Diabs

Affliction AOE Horridon

Hey everyone! I'm currently having major issues with AOE on horridon, what would be the best rotation to follow to maximize dps? Is it SB dots on targets then SB to get back shards, SoC when you have alot of adds?

Affliction isn't going to end up too good on that fight versus Demonology or Destruction...the adds don't have enough life for Agony to tick high and Seed has crappy damage without it being spammable. If your guild is having issues, consider going Demonology or Destruction for this fight.

Here's a video of Sparkuggz, the Warlock from Method, doing Horridon as Affliction on the PTR:

Hope it helps!

That video would be helpful if adds came out that way, but they don't. They're staggered, so you can't use one Seed to get Corruption on everything. They come out 2 at a time and don't overwhelm or gather until the end of each mini-phase. You'd have to manually apply DoTs to each one as they came out, Seed would be less effective, and you'd have less MG uptime on the boss. His strategy is just to DoT up the adds and let others do a majority of the damage while he sits on the boss. This inflates his numbers because the boss takes an increasingly stacking debuff. If you want to delegate a DPS to sit on the boss full-time, a Warlock is a decent choice, but melee should be chosen over any ranged at all. When the 2nd boss comes out, he's STILL not switching. Don't look at his numbers because they are hyper-inflated due to ignoring mechanics most normal groups can't ignore.

Hey Diabs,

I haven't tried demo or destro on this fight so I can't give you a comparison between the different specs. However, I think affliction is actually pretty damn good for this fight.

What I did was try to maintain 100% DoT uptime on the 'major' adds and Horridon at all times. By 'major' adds I mean the Dinomancers, Wastewalkers, Venom Priests, Warlords, and Warbear/Shamans. In my downtime between applying dots with SB:SS I would MG one of the major adds and Drain Soul the small adds if I noticed one was low to get more Shards.

The only difficulty my guild had during the fight was the Venom Priests so I single targeted those for the most part.

Hope that helps! Posted Image

Edited by Attylla

I did ~200k as Affliction with a 492 ilvl. I didn't sit on the boss either.

http://www.worldoflo...s=12400&e=13040

Your damage is higher because the rest of your team's damage is lower giving you the opportunity to do more damage. It's just like the better Elegon parses earlier in Tier 14...I pushed a much higher parse when my Warrior died freeing up all the damage he did via Execute boosting everyone else. The gap between you and everyone else is rather staggering...on our kill, our Hunters were #1 and #2 with their AoE doing over 200k. If your Hunter was better, your numbers would come down.

Your damage is higher because the rest of your team's damage is lower giving you the opportunity to do more damage. It's just like the better Elegon parses earlier in Tier 14...I pushed a much higher parse when my Warrior died freeing up all the damage he did via Execute boosting everyone else. The gap between you and everyone else is rather staggering...on our kill, our Hunters were #1 and #2 with their AoE doing over 200k. If your Hunter was better, your numbers would come down.

I'll be honest, I was already aware of what you mentioned... just bragging a little. My raid's DPS is getting a bit frustrating though. They all outgear me by about 10-15 ilvls and it doesn't really show on the meters. If ever I say anything all I get in response is, "Warlocks are OP" and the like.

I'll be honest, I was already aware of what you mentioned... just bragging a little. My raid's DPS is getting a bit frustrating though. They all outgear me by about 10-15 ilvls and it doesn't really show on the meters. If ever I say anything all I get in response is, "Warlocks are OP" and the like.

Wait until you get to Council as Demonology. I was pulling a stable 150k+ DPS with Doom being about 45% of it, haha.

That video would be helpful if adds came out that way, but they don't. They're staggered, so you can't use one Seed to get Corruption on everything. They come out 2 at a time and don't overwhelm or gather until the end of each mini-phase. You'd have to manually apply DoTs to each one as they came out, Seed would be less effective, and you'd have less MG uptime on the boss. His strategy is just to DoT up the adds and let others do a majority of the damage while he sits on the boss. This inflates his numbers because the boss takes an increasingly stacking debuff. If you want to delegate a DPS to sit on the boss full-time, a Warlock is a decent choice, but melee should be chosen over any ranged at all. When the 2nd boss comes out, he's STILL not switching. Don't look at his numbers because they are hyper-inflated due to ignoring mechanics most normal groups can't ignore.

That's right, I totally forgot they changed the spawning patterns of the adds :P

The typical response from players who don't like to excel at their class. The two Hunters in my group are always pushing the top of the meters. Aside from them just being incredible players, they take advantage of their class mechanics on each fight. My guess is your other DPS just come to fights to put up the highest numbers possible by following the model 'pew pew boss, pew pew adds, pew pew boss' etc. while you are thinking 'ok, I'll keep my main DoTs rolling here, use Seed here, and try to siphon some shards here.'

Their response shouldn't be "Warlocks are OP" but rather "You are OP."

• Like 1