Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zadina

hearthstone N'Zoth the Corruptor Card and Appearance Revealed + Lore

5 posts in this topic

16644-nzoth-the-corruptor-card-and-appea

World of Warcraft and Hearthstone fans can now stop wondering, since the appearance of the elusive fourth Old God has been officially revealed! N'Zoth's Hearthstone card was also uncovered!

The first official artwork for N'Zoth appeared as a cover image in Hearthstone's Facebook and Twitter. Afterwards, Lead Character Artist Tyson Murphy tweeted a complete version of this artwork.

As we've already said, this is the first official appearance of N'Zoth, since - unlike the other Old Gods - we haven't encountered him yet in World of Warcraft. He looks a lot like a giant, evil kraken and he seems to be underwater, but more on that later. It's interesting that he first appears in Hearthstone rather than WoW.

The Legendary Hearthstone card for N'Zoth the Corruptor was revealed earlier in an official blog post. Without further ado, here it is in its full golden glory:

I8KUXKPZSP3R1458754832347.gif

Rather than introducing a new archetype, like C'Thun, N'Zoth remains in the realms of the tried and tested Deathrattle mechanic. What may prove problematic with N'Zoth is that a lot of Deathrattle cards come from Curse of Naxxramas and as we know, Naxxramas is getting retired in Standard format. Of course, let's not forget that new Deathrattle cards will probably be introduced with the new expansion, like N'Zoth's Tentacle, Corrupted Tauren, Polluted Hoarder and Corrupted Healbot.

As far as the lore behind N'Zoth is concerned, very little is known about this Old God. Blizzard has enlisted the help of Six Gamers, who put together a brief video on N'Zoth the Corruptor. Bear in mind that this video was created before World of Warcraft: Chronicle vol. 1 - a new lore book that makes sense of the history of Warcraft - was released, so there might be a few 'inaccuracies'.

There is also a dedicated blog post on C'Thun, as well as a video again by Six Gamers.

N'Zoth is presented as the most powerful of the Old Gods, since he could take on both C'Thun and Yogg-Saron. He is also the only remaining Old God who is still alive in World of Warcraft. According to both the blog post and the video, four major events are attested to N'Zoth: 1) the corruption of the Black Aspect, Neltharion, now known as Deathwing, 2) the creation of the Emerald Nightmare, 3) the creation of the Naga race and 4) the possible orchestration of the events of the Cataclysm.

pH6kJcO.jpg

Before his appearance was officially revealed, this was a popular fanart depiction of N'Zoth.

To support the latter speculation, there is indeed a servant of N'Zoth in Dragon Soul, the last raid of Cataclysm, whose last boss was Deathwing obviously. This boss, called Warlord Zon'ozz, even has some voice lines concerning N'Zoth. There is also an archeology item in World of Warcraft that has an allusion to this mysterious Old God. If you use this item, you fall victim to whispers from the Old Gods, one of them being: "In the sunken city, he lays dreaming". This reinforces the theory that N'Zoth is imprisoned underwater, perhaps even beneath the only underwater zone in Azeroth, Vash'jir. The artwork depicting him to be near water is also a very important clue.

Other than that, nothing else is known about N'Zoth. We hope that since he has just been introduced in Hearthstone, he will soon make his appearance in World of Warcraft. He can certainly be linked with many of the themes of the upcoming expansion, Legion. Until then, we can enjoy him in the boards of Hearthstone.

2 people like this

Yep, in the light of Chronicle Vol. 1 this video is pretty outdated. I kinda hate that his first real appearance is in card game for kids. Not only it diminish mysteries about him in the WoW, but it also allows to make cards like Brood of N'zoth which looks like a fucking gummy bear (or elephant or whatever). Everything connected to the Old Gods should be terrifying, not kinda cute. wtf

Yep, in the light of Chronicle Vol. 1 this video is pretty outdated. I kinda hate that his first real appearance is in card game for kids. Not only it diminish mysteries about him in the WoW, but it also allows to make cards like Brood of N'zoth which looks like a fucking gummy bear (or elephant or whatever). Everything connected to the Old Gods should be terrifying, not kinda cute. wtf

A game for kids? Show me pro players younger than 18 and for each one I will show you 2 over 18. Before you even bother to write at least one, I give you Kripparian, Trump, Forsen, Xixo, Dog, Sottle or Lifecoach. Also, I could be saying that he is shown in a RuneScape clone for kids, while he clearly should be revealed in Warcraft III. Pretty dumb, right?

You think that if N'Zoth was first released in WoW, there would be no Spawn of N'Zoth? Do you realise that this is not how it works?

2 people like this

If N'Zoth somehow stuck to the board after a bucketload of deathrattles were revived, just imagine the havoc a Youthful Brewmaster could cause if played next turn! (Especially if some of those deathrattles had taunts, or your opponent didn't have any kind of hard removal for N'Zoth)

If N'Zoth somehow stuck to the board after a bucketload of deathrattles were revived, just imagine the havoc a Youthful Brewmaster could cause if played next turn! (Especially if some of those deathrattles had taunts, or your opponent didn't have any kind of hard removal for N'Zoth)

That combo takes 3 turns (2 of them even take the WHOLE turn) and does no direct damage, so I don't think the combo is that strong to be played.