FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Zagam

Affliction & Demonology Nerfs

Well, we have the following going live today.

Corruption - 25%

Doom - 25%

They nerfed us saying that in multi-dotting situations, we were too powerful but in single target damage, we will be fine. I wholeheartedly disagree. Take these parses of mine...

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-w5pihuu7gg4jls9y/details/3/?s=2017&e=2539

This is the 10 man version of Durumu, a single target fight that has some adds ranged barely do any damage to. Definitely didn't have time to slap Doom or Corruption up. For that fight, I show the following:

Doom: 6,314,297 damage (32 ticks averaging 111,659 dmg) (12 crits averaging 228, 434 dmg) uptime = 98.6%

Corruption: 4,005,280 damage (246 ticks averaging 10,594 dmg) (58 ticks averaging 24,125 dmg) uptime = 96.8%

Looking purely at the total damage number, nerfing Doom and Corruption would look like this:

Doom: 4,735,722

Corr: 3,003,960

This is a total loss of (10,319,577 - 7,739,682) = 2,579,895 damage

Fight length = 8:41 = (8*60 + 41) seconds = 521 seconds

2,579,895/521 = 4951.8 DPS loss

This would drop me from 112k to 107k on a single target fight, which is about a 4.5% nerf. On multiple target fights, this nerf will be even more significant. I can't even fathom what will happen to Affliction having Corruption nerfed by 25%. Considering each DoT represents about 25% of the overall damage, nerfing 25% of 25% is about a 6.25% loss on single target. Multiple targets...this will hurt.

Stupid.

You wanted them to keep single target the same? BAHAHHAHAHHA Blizz doesn't do that.

It will absolutely apply to the Corruption proc'd from Malefic Grasp. Don't bring that logic around here...someone on Blizzard's development team will get a headache.

What the....

Slapping -25% onto 2 spells (3 including spriests) seems lazy on their part. At least try to make it look like work went in to the nerf analysis...

Edited by Cruzan

There is no PTR...it's a myth. Nothing comes out of it the same anyways. They clearly don't test things when they have to nerf and buff anything by more than 5%. Even 5% is a high standard of variance to be ok with. It's statistically irresponsible.

I'm going Destruction tonight. Might as well give up the Demo dream.

Speaking of Destruction, I noticed my Warlock didn't have the 4 Burning Embers that were supposed to be baseline like the 4 Soul Shards...bug? Did this get fixed? Hopefully this reaches someone who played Destruction this patch so far...

Have to look at the maths...This certainly seems to have hit Demo harder than Aff on it's face. :( I was enjoying being able to choose a different playstyle on a per-fight basis.

I can't even fathom what will happen to Affliction having Corruption nerfed by 25%. Considering each DoT represents about 25% of the overall damage, nerfing 25% of 25% is about a 6.25% loss on single target. Multiple targets...this will hurt.

Stupid.

Not to mention the impact on affliction aoe. -25% to SB-SoC....

Nerf Warlocks and buff Mages...got it. Forgot what Dragon Soul felt like for a second.

• Like 1

Between this and the 40% buff Mages got..... /cry. Those are some awfully drastic numbers. Makes you wonder what the PTR is for.

The only spells getting buffed are talents; and they're all on the same tier. So choose one spell to be buffed by 40%. Not as huge as people might think.

Blizz: We *still* don't have more than 75% of the Warlock community using Destruction for our awesome new quest line. Suggestions?

Intern: Nerf everything else?

Blizz: Done, what's your name again?

Intern: My name's.....

Blizz: Fantastic, someone get this man a free ticket to Blizzcon.

Intern: I'm.... already signed up to work there....

Blizz: Do you like murloc plushies?

Intern: I'll...... burn down the building.......

Edited by Omaric

Nerf Warlocks and buff Mages...got it. Forgot what Dragon Soul felt like for a second.

BACK TO THE SIMMING BOARDS WITH YOU!

Don't kill me. <3

They cant just leave well enough alone. Well with that being said is destruction even going to be truly viable with the higher dps classes right now or are we doomed to mediocrity?

They cant just leave well enough alone. Well with that being said is destruction even going to be truly viable with the higher dps classes right now or are we doomed to mediocrity?

Destruction is brilliant right now. Every single one of our specs have been parsing top 7'ish in world of logs over the last week of raiding.

There is no PTR...it's a myth. Nothing comes out of it the same anyways. They clearly don't test things when they have to nerf and buff anything by more than 5%. Even 5% is a high standard of variance to be ok with. It's statistically irresponsible.

I'm going Destruction tonight. Might as well give up the Demo dream.

Speaking of Destruction, I noticed my Warlock didn't have the 4 Burning Embers that were supposed to be baseline like the 4 Soul Shards...bug? Did this get fixed? Hopefully this reaches someone who played Destruction this patch so far...

Yeah I've been playing some destruction and I have the 4 standard embers, so I assume it just must be a bug with you or your UI.

But damn, ouch O_O. That's a really painful nerf...

I have 4 Embers now. All fixed. Time to go 12/12 as Destro and compare. Can't wait to cause some Havoc ;)

Zagram, I looked at your demo log and the doom&corr nerf is 7% of your total damage. That's a huge amount on single target. If they want us to not be so powerful multi dotting, they definately need to buff our single target spells to mitigate this.

I need to look up how much I'm losing as affliction zzzz.

I have 4 Embers now. All fixed. Time to go 12/12 as Destro and compare. Can't wait to cause some Havoc Posted Image

that was a bad pun zagam Posted Image

to be honest i'm not all that fussed about the nerfs, warlocks are a bit on the high side at the moment and even with the nerfs i wouldn't hesitate playing the spec i want as theyre still going to be viable. I am going to be trying destro out in LFR and normals tomorrow my guilds 12/12 but i'm 3/12 in team 2 so my experience is going to be impacted by horridon/elders which are very good, fun bosses for destro. thankfully I enjoy all 3 specs

Edit: raided all last week as demo/affliction demo came out top for me overall on the first 3 (not much surprise there) have 495 ilvl which isn't too bad but really hoping for the staff from horridon cos my offhand is 476 (no luck on the HoF one) and i don't have hc lushans

Edited by Cthuulhu

I noticed that corruption and doom suddenly dropped down on my dps chart and I was only pulling 111k on the ol' thunder troll in ToT...this explains why. I'm going to stay demo/afflic because destro is so boring, but they could have at least used some lube or bought us dinner before sticking it to us like this.

Here's an idea, if doom is OP in multi-target scenarios then limit the number of targets it can be applied to so you don't fuck up single target damage as well. If you want to nerf corruption in multi-target scenarios then also buff haunt by a percentage to compensate for the loss of single target damage. Oh wait, that would mean actually balancing class changes, silly me.

Here's an idea, if doom is OP in multi-target scenarios then limit the number of targets it can be applied to so you don't fuck up single target damage as well. If you want to nerf corruption in multi-target scenarios then also buff haunt by a percentage to compensate for the loss of single target damage. Oh wait, that would mean actually balancing class changes, silly me.

GET OUT OF HERE WITH YOUR LOGIC AND REASONING!

Odd that I was telling my Mage roommate the same thing. I said "ya know, back in Dragon Soul, I could only apply Doom to one thing. Wouldn't that fix multi-target fights better than saying 'BAM NERF 25%?'" I don't agree with the idea of Haunt scaling, but I think MG could have received a boost. Not the proc damage of the DoTs...the actual ticking damage of Malefic Grasp. Buffing this moderately would have negated the single target nerf while maintaining the multi-target lower value they wanted.

I'd prefer to see something along the lines of having additional Doom's/Corruptions do a stacking 8% less damage up to 24%. That is to say...

Number of Doom's applied/Damage Nerf:

1 = 0%

2 = 8%

3 = 16%

4 = 24%

5 = 24%

6 = 24%

etc.

If such a thing could be coded? This nerfs where they want it to be more or less for multiple targets, keeps single target the same, and gives us the option of maybe doing more damage to 2-3 targets. The flat 25% nerf the 'locks/SPriests recieved was a serious "fuck you".

So from what I can tell from simming my gear (ilvl490 4pc t14) is that:

Affliction took a 5.9% single target nerf

Demo took a 4.4% single target nerf.

*Note: I did regem/reforge my gear to be optimal for each spec.

This puts destro ahead of demo by about 1.5k theoretical dps with affliction lagging even farther behind than before (6k DPS). This leaves me debating dropping affliction entirely to switch between destro/demo (seems that gemming is pretty much the same so this could work).

I wish I would remember to run worldoflogs more often. I've got no actual data to go off of which is a bummer.

I'm planning on creating a personal gearing timeline to see how the specs sim out as i gear up through LFR, SP Assault rep, and older raids.

I just love the fact that my 2pc t14 bonus got shat on. Something I'm going to be forced to sit on for at least 3-4 weeks until more wings of LFR come out.

Edited by Cruzan

Looks like I may as well switch to destruction like everyone else. Shame though, its my least favorite spec. Then again, I suppose demo or affli might still be viable...maybe? Well, not affli, the nerf is going to affect MG as well isnt it?

In the spirit of the inevitable rise in desturction players....CHAOS BOLT!

The Simulationcraft charts this morning saddened me, frankly.

Three hybrid classes - Monks, Warriors, and Ferals ahead of our best spec. Mages 7 increments above our best spec with their LOWEST spec.

I was just looking for an excuse, I guess...Green Fire and Demonology being a viable raid spec awakened a bit of interest in me, but this pretty much snuffed it back out.

Not angry, just done.

Edited by Kravn