FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
robotsteve

Personal affliction single target - Iron Qon

Hello. I'm sort of frustrated lately because I feel like my single target is horrible. I see ranking affliction warlocks on pure single target fights (like iron qon, jin'rohk and ji'kun to an extent), and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I suspect it has to do with my dot refreshing. Here's the fight in question, and some other recent ToT logs:

http://worldoflogs.c.../?s=4812&e=5472

http://worldoflogs.com/guilds/106794/

Armory:

http://us.battle.net...jacker/advanced

Rotation:

The usual, but soulburn refresh dots at 10 stacks Wushoolay's lightning, haunt with at least two int procs / dark soul.

UI screenshot:

http://i.imgur.com/YBXQdBV.jpg

Is there anything obvious I'm screwing up? I'll reply to this thread later with more details if needed. Thank you.

Edited by robotsteve

What does your primary rotation look like? If affliction is your primary spec you could do some slight modifications but that isn't the problem. I'm prob 25 ilvls lower than you but my dots are ticking on average higher than the one log I looked at. That could be because of the fight, I don't know. Are you soul swapping or hard casting dots for the most part? Are you letting dots fall off before refreshing? I'm not the greatest at reviewing the logs but I'm sure someone will be able to help more. Dot up times didn't look bad though. I think you could really be rocking it with that gear.

Edited by Cedrin

I'll rarely use soul swap after initial burst from start of fight. If you can hard cast dots it might save you some extra haunt uptime. I take advantage of affdots as your iu shows you have. I will use SB:SS during burn phase as needed. I wish i could your toon but I'm currently at work.

First and foremost you should reforge that 1,17% hit over cap away Posted Image maybe do it onto haste, to get the 3rd haste breakpoint, as it is 6151 for goblins.

Also remember that Corruption was just nerfed by 25%, so that will make you have a little less output on single target dps than before.

Edited by Narga

simmed around 123k with current setup. That probably isnt accounting for a good snap shot dot application. I doubt the small reforge will make a huge difference. It may be more in the rotation a bit. Can you give an example of how you go about your single target fight? How you reapply dots, use shard, etc?

I am aware that a reforge like at won't have a huge impact, but it is unnecessary to have excessive hit rating when affliction already is a spec that can cope with less than hitcap. I for my self run with about 10,5% hit.

First and foremost you should reforge that 1,17% hit over cap away Posted Image maybe do it onto haste, to get the 3rd haste breakpoint, as it is 6151 for goblins.

Also remember that Corruption was just nerfed by 25%, so that will make you have a little less output on single target dps than before.

Ha, you must've caught me as I was changing gear - I wasn't that high over hit cap during any raids. And yeah, I know, I just want to find ways to improve if I can.

I'm prob 25 ilvls lower than you but my dots are ticking on average higher than the one log I looked at. That could be because of the fight, I don't know. Are you soul swapping or hard casting dots for the most part? Are you letting dots fall off before refreshing? I'm not the greatest at reviewing the logs but I'm sure someone will be able to help more. Dot up times didn't look bad though. I think you could really be rocking it with that gear.

I agree, I should be doing better. Iron Qon is a pure single target fight; there are never any adds to worry about, I am almost always able to be casting on the boss. It is a training dummy with some fire on the ground (and with KJ, it doesn't impact my damage significantly).

simmed around 123k with current setup. That probably isnt accounting for a good snap shot dot application. I doubt the small reforge will make a huge difference. It may be more in the rotation a bit. Can you give an example of how you go about your single target fight? How you reapply dots, use shard, etc?

Sure. I have a proc tracker that watches all my int (and I think they are all int right now) procs. I have Wushoolay's Lightning (hit trinket with stacking int). Typically, I will pop everything at the start of a fight, soulburn my dots, throw a haunt, then start draining the target with MG. Wushoolay's tends to proc at the start of the fight, so I wait for the +13.3k int at 10 stacks, then soulburn my dots on the target and try to keep haunt up as much as possible until those dots fall. Usually by the time Wushoolay's is at 10 stacks, Dark Soul will still be up, and so will the jade serpent pot.

From then, I haunt only if I'm at 4 shards or have a few good int procs up, like the elegon trinket, jade spirit and synapse springs for example. I soulburn my dots at Wushoolay's 10 stacks.

Part of the problem is right now I'm just sort of eyeballing the total int procced, and going off what Affdots recommends. I don't have anything that tells me the total sum of my extra procced stats, which would be useful for making refresh decisions (e.g. maybe 7 stacks and jade spirit + synapse springs > 10 stacks or something). I also don't know if I should be soulburning my dots as much as I am - is it better off to just haunt even with weak dots on the target?

I am aware that a reforge like at won't have a huge impact, but it is unnecessary to have excessive hit rating when affliction already is a spec that can cope with less than hitcap. I for my self run with about 10,5% hit.

I've heard it can go either way - and I'd much prefer to hit cap if it's not seriously hurting my damage. Especially with these new stacking trinkets in ToT. Missing a dot refresh during the 10 stacks of int window would hurt. Edited by robotsteve