Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Blainie

overwatch Tracer Pose To Be Removed After Being Called Too Sexual

30 posts in this topic

17454-tracer-pose-to-be-removed-after-be

A post over on the Overwatch forums has stirred up a huge amount of controversy, as well as disbelief, in the Overwatch community. Check out what's been happening with our favourite British Overwatch member!

The post was aimed at one of the poses for Tracer: "Over the shoulder". It seems the user in question believed that the pose sexualised Tracer to the extent that her young daughter, who looks up to Tracer and watches the Recall trailer every day, could no longer idolise this great character. You can read the full post here.

Our beloved Game Director responded at lightning speed, but for once, it may not have been the right thing to do. He stated that the pose will be replaced and apologised for having it in the game. You can check out his response here.

As always with these things, there was some backlash against this response, but it seems to be a rather overwhelming one. A petition is up on the Reddit forums asking for the pose to be kept in the game, with many good reasons being given as to why it should be there. The most overwhelmingly agreed upon is that, if a child is too young to see what is being considered as a sexual pose, then perhaps they are too young to be playing the game. There are numerous warnings about mature content within the game, as well as many other heroes that have far more "sexual" attributes.

I would thoroughly recommend reading through this mother's response to the drama over on the forums if you're hoping to get involved in the discussion. It shows the perspective of another mother who takes the opposing stance from the original post.

If you're looking for a slightly more light-hearted take on the matter, check out TotalBiscuit's satirical video on the topic.

What do you think? Should the pose be removed?

1 person likes this

Ban yoga! 

Hell, I think some of the men in Overwatch are too fit and muscular. I want everyone to be disproportionately ugly. 

kappa 

tongue.png

1 person likes this

Ban yoga! 

Hell, I think some of the men in Overwatch are too fit and muscular. I want everyone to be disproportionately ugly. 

kappa 

tongue.png

Address the root of these problems! #BanSquats

The generation of today.

holy shit this is just sad.

1 person likes this

Seems like a well thought out and fairly innocuous complaint where they're saying "Could you please not overtly sexualize this one female character?"

Blizzard thought it was a fair request.

Cue lots of Internet ranting and demands that all female characters be overtly sexualized from now until the end of time because [insert ill-thought out patricarhical and misogynist dogma here].

1 person likes this

Absolutely NOT! I completely agree with the idea that if something in a game can be considered too sexual, that child shouldn't be playing that game. On one hand, kudos to mom for paying attention to her child's interest and making sure her child doesn't play anything inappropriate. But on the other hand, I don't think game designers should have to change anything about their game to fit the demands of the parents. 

1 person likes this

Seems like a well thought out and fairly innocuous complaint where they're saying "Could you please not overtly sexualize this one female character?"

Blizzard thought it was a fair request.

Cue lots of Internet ranting and demands that all female characters be overtly sexualized from now until the end of time because [insert ill-thought out patricarhical and misogynist dogma here].

This specific pose is found on multiple other characters, even with similar names. It looks like it was a template that was plastered onto Tracer to give her another pose. If it isn't an issue with Symmetra and Widowmaker, why is it with Tracer? I understand the argument of it not fitting the character, but how are we saying that it fits Symmetra's character? Why is it OK for D.va to be lying on her robot with her chest sticking out? Why is it OK for Zarya to have her pose with her crotch thrust out?

I could understand if she was specifically making some form of sexual gesture, but Tracer is very simply looking over her shoulder. Her butt will be there regardless, it's part of her model. When you run past her, when you fight her, when you look at her in any other pose, she still has a butt.

4 people like this

Hey mom, how about you learn to fucking read and realize the game is RATED T FOR TEEN.  11 year olds are having sex these days are you honestly that stupid that you think this is an issue?  If your kid is below the rating then they shouldn't be playing games marketed for teenagers or adults in the first place.  People like you are what's ruining the world's entertainment with making everything politically correct.  Go watch desperate housewives and leave our games alone. 

2 people like this

Interesting. To a point, I can understand the mothers prospective. Children -are- very easily influenced. So yes, they  could easily pick up on habits of their hero.

But... Lets be real here. To me that pose, in the grand scheme of things, seems rather mild in the 'sexual' department. Matter of fact, I'm trying to wrap my mind around how a child, who would appear to have a mother who seemingly shelters them from everything remotely sexual, could possibly even see it as sexual. Like... how does the child even know what sexual is? Let alone acknowledge what a sexual pose looks like?

On top of that. We're playing a game. Where people are locked in an eternal loop of murdering one another. So... It's not okay for her to kinda sorta be in a sassy mild sexual pose, but it's okay for her to run around filling people full of lead... killing them.... killing them dead....

Until they respawn. That's how real life works too, right?

Kiiiiiiiiiinda seems priorities are a little mixed up here.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Interesting. To a point, I can understand the mothers prospective. Children -are- very easily influenced. So yes, they  could easily pick up on habits of their hero.

But... Lets be real here. To me that pose, in the grand scheme of things, seems rather mild in the 'sexual' department. Matter of fact, I'm trying to wrap my mind around how a child, who would appear to have a mother who seemingly shelters them from everything remotely sexual, could possibly even see it as sexual. Like... how does the child even know what sexual is? Let alone acknowledge what a sexual pose looks like?

On top of that. We're playing a game. Where people are locked in an eternal loop of murdering one another. So... It's not okay for her to kinda sorta be in a sassy mild sexual pose, but it's okay for her to run around filling people full of lead... killing them.... killing them dead....

Until they respawn. That's how real life works too, right?

Kiiiiiiiiiinda seems priorities are a little mixed up here.

game is rated T not rated E aka if ur kid is too immature to play a T rated game before they are a T then dont let them play it simple

Edited by valler

Ban yoga! 

kappa 

tongue.png

Address the root of these problems! #BanSquats

laugh.png

Posted (edited)

game is rated T not rated E aka if ur kid is too immature to play a T rated game before they are a T then dont let them play it simple

Edited by valler
2 people like this

Oh please that butt of hers aint even that great anyway.

The pose really doesn´t strike me as being overly sexualized anyway. The spread legs might be what´s giving that illusion to some people now that I think about it. Close em and I suppose it´d be less suggestive /shrug

Tis a shame though that people are so anxious about the human body still. Killing people is all fine and dandy it would seem but even the slightest appearance  or perception of booties and boobies on a character is apparently enough for some people to see red.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

The pose really doesn´t strike me as being overly sexualized anyway. The spread legs might be what´s giving that illusion to some people now that I think about it. Close em and I suppose it´d be less suggestive /shrug

Tis a shame though that people are so anxious about the human body still. Killing people is all fine and dandy it would seem but even the slightest appearance  or perception of booties and boobies on a character is apparently enough for some people to see red.

Exaaaaaaaactly.

Whelp, hopefully the kid never does a google image search of their hero. They'll learn all kinds of things Mother dearest doesn't like.

Edited by KookyQT

And please remove the Tychus-Skin (the one without T-Shirt) from HOTS cause i dont look like him.

I feel sad when i see him.

*sarkasm off*

Posted (edited)

In short, it's just a biased take on the image of ONE character from ONE person. There could be hype, could be an outcry and if public says "yeah Tracer is way too oversexualised fix it PLEASE" Blizzard can justify actions. Because it would probably be healthier for the game design. And everybody win.

But it's not like that in this case. The fact character's image is something is defined by public, and frankly, we - the public - don't think so, right?

I mean, she is a girl. In a latex bodysuit. She is supposed to be like that.

I'd focus on actual game stuff if I was Blizzard, y'know. Sent some beta keys, patched some balance, worked with hardware so previous generation-PCs can run it.

But I'm not Blizzard, so let's durdle with ONE person that's not Ok with your game for no adequate reason.

If we talk the problem deeper, overall tendency of female characters' sexualisation may sometimes be present, but Overwatch and Blizzard games in general are not crossing my personal line.

There were elves in combat bras around me since I was 6. I grew up and it did not affect me in any harmful way - I oppose sexualisation, not consume or enforce it even though I am a supposed "target" of it. There are special products that can provide you enough for your interests, after all, don't mix-and-match.

I can't speak on the behalf of female community, but as a guy, I have no problem with girls looking good in my games up until wearing an armor that is practically useless thanks to open stomach or legs becomes normal. It just makes no freaking sense.

Edited by Paracel

I feel like this is key to be honest. That pose is only really sexual if you're specifically looking in a sexual way, if that makes sense. Also, game is rated T for a reason.

Key point of discussion right here. Her butt just AINT that great. Thing is, if you compare her pose to quite a few others (Symmetra, Widowmaker), it really doesn't seem that out of place.

Yeah, I think I said this a few times on Twitter. I don't understand why the butt of Tracer matters when she is standing next to a guy in victory who, 20 seconds ago, got play of the game where he slaughters 5 people with a hammer and crushes one of them against a wall.

I mean, she is a girl. In a latex bodysuit. She is supposed to be like that.

I think Michele Morrow brought this up on Twitter. Someone called out Blizzard on the attire and she rightly said that there are plenty of runners on the streets, which, judging by her attire, Tracer is a sprinter of sorts, and we seem to accept that fine. Are we meant to completely change her skin? Have we forgotten the Widowmaker skin where you can very clearly see up her skirt? The bare legs of Symmetra?

The game has been in beta for a long time now and this is the first complaint I have heard about that pose. 

1 person likes this

If this kid thinks the pose is sexual then don't take him to the beach! Lots of the same poses there lol, then there is no one to look up for anymore...

It's a shot from behind of her looking over her shoulder. She's not bending over. She's not sticking her ass out. Her back isn't arched to show off said butt. There's nothing overtly sexual about except that it shows her butt, which is visible because she's in futuristic tights. I personally didn't read it as overtly sexual. Plus, this is an optional pose. You can change it if you don't like it.

1 person likes this

Honestly its crap like this that has made me stop playing the beta , i have already preordered the game , but depending on the state of t he game during the open beta ..i will get a refund, as it stands its a great game and loads of fun , but Blizz is giving in to too many people who just want to whine and not play a game the way blizz designed it to be played.

Honeslty, people just need to grow the frak up , its an adult character in an adult/teen game, who honesty is not being sexualized any worse than any chick you see on almost any tv show  or any chick you see running /walk in public now days.

Posted (edited)

Honeslty, people just need to grow the frak up , its an adult character in an adult/teen game, who honesty is not being sexualized any worse than any chick you see on almost any tv show  or any chick you see running /walk in public now days.

I know right? Some celebrities are cute and funny when they perform shows for children and teenagers (not gonna mention any names **cough** Ariana Grande **cough**) and no one is removing them from Music or Movie business, but Tracer's pose is sexualized...

Edited by mnime

Posted (edited)

Kinda reminds me of Eminem's song, The Real Slim Shady, I'm not a fan of eminem but he killed it...

Explicit Centent :

Sometimes, I wanna get on TV and just let loose, but can't

But it's cool for Tom Green to hump a dead moose

"My bum is on your lips, my bum is on your lips"

And if I'm lucky, you might just give it a little kiss
And that's the message that we deliver to little kids
And expect them not to know what a woman's clitoris is

The discovery channel, MTV is not sexualized but Tracer's pose is.

The mom should start posting on some shows' forums instead.

Edited by mnime

Posted (edited)

I have no words to describe this BS Blizzard is doing by caving in for one person. There's so much violence happening in Overwatch that Tracer's pose is the least of their problems if we really put it this way. I mean, so many websites have put this story up on their news panels that it's actually becoming some sort of phenomenon. Even TotalBiscuit made a satirical video about it, that's how funny and idiotic this thing is.

Why don't they remove all the Blood Elf Females then from WoW? Or all the Draenei Females? Once you get their gear off it becomes some sort of cheap softcore erotic movie.

L.E.: To answer the question: No they shouldn't remove the pose.

Edited by sys01
1 person likes this

Lame, its just pixels in a game, guys dont complain about He-Mans muscles, why remove just because of SJW whine?