FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

Throne of Thunder Holy Priest Style

This thread is meant to collect useful pieces of information for Holy Priests attempting bosses in the Throne of Thunder. We will add some contributions ourselves and hope that the rest will come from comments in this thread Posted Image

Table of Contents

Jin'rokh the Breaker

Useful talents: share your thoughts!

Useful glyphs: share your thoughts!

Tips and Tricks: share your thoughts!

Links:

Horridon

Links:

Council of Elders

Links:

Tortos

Links:

Megaera

Links:

Ji-Kun

Links:

Durumu the Forgotten

Links:

Primordius

Links:

Dark Animus

Links:

Iron Qon

Links:

Twin Consorts

Links:

Lei Shen

Links:

Not had a chance to even get into the new tier yet. Cleared some previous tier content and completed a few LFR but I have a strong feeling that I I am finally going to have to bite the bullet and learn how to heal as a discipline priest.

Is anyone else struggling for mana as holy at the moment? I've had to manage my mana so much more than 5.1 even though my overall mana regen has improved!

Just feels like I have a lot of catching up to do at the moment and "normally" I'm one of the better performers in my group.

I have had a lot of trouble with my holy priest as of late with mana issues. I had been rolling with the mindbender talent - i could hit that spell every minute and try to get mana back - however - a fellow priest told me it wasn't strong enough for the raids... so he convinced me to take power word solace - My mana is a lot more manageable now. I am still struggling at times with how much healing i'm doing vs overhealing. I feel like I can't control cascade (just short of not using it) :/

I've still not made up my mind between PW: Solace and Mindbender, a lot depends on your playstyle, I think I just need some more practice before I can give some genuine feedback.

Jin'rokh the Breaker

Useful talents: Body and Soul. Cascade or Divine Star

Useful glyphs: Glyph of Lightspring (always). Glyph of Inner Sanctum.

Tips and Tricks: Spot the Conductive Waters pool quickly and move into it for all healing except during lightning storm. Shield players who are running off Focused Lightning (for run speed buff).

Horridon

Useful talents: Cascade (due to raid being spread out most of the time)

Useful glyphs: Glyph of Massdispel (for door 1) or Glyph of Purify

Tips and Tricks: Remember to re-cast and move your lightwell as the raid progresses from door to door. Use massdispel at door 1 if no SP available to do so (usually most effective on melee clump ). Dispel disease on door 4, on CD. Consider switching to smite chakra in the final phase once no adds are left and raid dmg is low, and smite the boss. Regen mana e.g. use potion or cast Shadowfiend/Mindbender / Mana Hymn when moving to a new door and inc. damage on raid is low (move early).

Council of Elders

Useful talents: Insight (for PoM spam) ; Cascade but Halo or Divine Star might work too, depending on your raid's positioning (star only if clumped a lot)

Useful glyphs: Glyph of Circle of Healing (given sufficient mana)

Tips and Tricks: T14 4pc helps . Spam PoM/CoH on CD during high dmg phases like Sandstorm (plus Divine Hymn when called for). Don't forget your mana regen though (Inner Will; AE chakra, SF/MB, potion, trinkets etc) else that combination of glyphs/talents/gear will run you dry quite quickly. Assign dispels for the 30sec Ensnared debuff and dispel it fast.

Tortos

Useful talents: Halo, Halo and Halo (very effective after Quake Stomp and perfectly timed too)

Useful glyphs: Glyph of Inner Fire (lots of physical dmg)

Tips and Tricks: Fade when bats come out. Halo after each Quake Stomp (try to get somewhat into the middle of the room so the spell's range is most effective).

Megaera

Useful talents: Body and Soul. Insight. Instead of Cascade, consider Divine Star (for Rampage phases).

Useful glyphs: Glyph of Inner Sanctum, Glyph of Circle of Healing (given sufficient mana)

Tips and Tricks: Shield people with Cinders debuff to allow them to get away faster before dispelling. Position yourself at the edge of the Rampage clump facing in the dirction of the nearest tank, when using Divine Star (maximize the number of players getting 'hit'). Sanctuary on Rampage clump spot and spam instas (PoH when insta in CD) during Rampage. 14pc T14 helps.

Ji-Kun

Useful talents: Cascade. Body and Soul (important for Down draft!).

Useful glyphs: Glyph of Binding Heal (for nest healing). Glyph of Inner Sanctum.

Tips and Tricks: Shield yourself on Downdraft to avoid getting blown off the platform. Ask for your nest team to be put into one group if possible (for PoH) and stay around the same area ; top them up as a priority (aside from tanks). Use Binding Heal in nests.

Durumu the Forgotten

Useful talents: Cascade (you need far reaching heals on the move). Insight (for more healing on the move).

Useful glyphs: Glyph of Inner Sanctum (if/when using Inner Fire). Glyph of Circle of Healing (for more healing on the move)

Tips and Tricks: Stay alive. Go all out (iPoM, CoH, Cascade on CD etc) during beams , use self preservation means and all instas on CD during maze, recover inbetween e.g. SF/MB and Mana Hymn right after beam or maze phase. Consider Inner Will for reduced mana cost on instas e.g. while running the maze. If staying in the blue beam during the Color Blind phase, position yourself near the center so heals reach across to the other beam areas. Key skill: You MUST be able to heal effectively on the move, for this fight, both in case you get settled with the red beam and also during Disintegration beam phase/maze phase. One way is using a 'one button smash' macro to bind to a key and keep pressing with one hand, while controlling your movement with the other hand. Examples (ymmv):

With 4pc T14 (and 1 use trinket):

/target player

/use 14

/castsequence reset=5 power word: shield,circle of healing,prayer of mending,renew,circle of healing,cascade,circle of healing,prayer of mending,circle of healing,renew,circle of healing

/castrandom desperate prayer

/use healthstone

Without 4pc T14 (and 1 use trinket):

/target player

/use 14

/castsequence reset=5 power word: shield,prayer of mending, circle of healing,renew,prayer of mending,circle of healing,cascade,renew

/castrandom desperate prayer

/use healthstone

Edited by Ente
  • Like 1

I have a general oppinion question for everyone regarding the current status of holy priest healing in ToT.

The normal healing comp we have is:

2x Disc Priests

1 Resto Druid

Me (Holy Priest)

1-2 Holy Paladins

We will sometimes have 2 Holy Paladins or a Monk heal depending on the fight.

I've noticed that since switching to 25m from 10m my healing has been greatly affected as far as the meters go. I've been seeking advice from the other healers, and been reading up on various talents and rotations and there isn't much info out there for my questions.

We did Tortos and Magera last night, and my hps was about 10-20k below most others. Other fights have been similar thus far. I'm wondering if, because of our healing comp with soe many hots and 2 disc priests mitigating all together, if my healing is lacking because of that, because Holy is just lacking behind at the moment, or if I'm just not as skilled at 25m healing as I was at 10m.

I've been reduced to rolling renews and refreshing them with cascade, and spot/aoe healing as needed, which seems to work better for our healing comp, but it just feels weird to me.

Does anyone think running 3 disc preists, 1-2 druids and 1-2 paladins would be weird? I'm at work right now, and I logged out in shadow gear/spec but I will link my armory just in case.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/mannoroth/Aphetik/simple

I will be happy to provide any other info as requested. Thanks in advance for any input.

[...]

http://us.battle.net.../Aphetik/simple

I will be happy to provide any other info as requested. Thanks in advance for any input.

Hard to judge since your guild has only got a single fight uploaded into World of Logs (Ji-kun attempt, which isn't great for assessing healing due to the situational changes.. and also because of multiple deaths in this case). Do you have other logs out there e.g. from Megaera kills, or Durumu kills where holy spec really shines?

What ilvl is your weapon, what is your holy spec/forging/gear e.g. set bonus situation? The shadow spec runs with a 483 weapon which I assume is not your healing weapon since it's not gemmed or enchanted.

So I can only share some general observations from my own (limited) experience:

• In burst mode, most of your main healing output comes from PoM/CoH/echo/PoH/[lvl90 talent e.g. cascade] (depending on stats and whether you have T14 4pc set bonus and which talents/glyphs you chose but assuming Insight talent and Lightspring/CoH glyphs while in AE chakra, possibly in Inner Will if you have mana issues) . Spam those instas.
  • Make sure Lightwell is always up
  • On Durumu, holy should outperform disc (given similar assignments/gear) due to the greater mobility while raid healing, during maze or beams
  • Personally I haven's seen a need to switch into renew mode since DS Spine, but I don't have a high haste/renew favouring build either. I'd think it's difficult to go up against druid hots. Would rather capitalize on instant smart heals in AE chakra.
P.S. My guild have a similar progress level and are also running several healing priests (some holy, some disc). I am main spec holy with a ~510 ilvl and 511 ilvl weapon (mastery build with some - 12.5% - haste) but am switching to disc where the fight or assignment requires it.

Hey! Thanks for the reply, and I realize it's a little hard to judge as I am usually in shadow spec/gear when I'm not raiding (I prefer shadow but my guild needs me for healing)

I'm starting to upload to WoL next week, that one Ji-Kun was a wipe and when I remember to start it. I will have more logs next week as we do the fights again.

On Megaera I didn't do very well, the 2 disc priests and druids were at the top. Durumu we are just doing attempts on next week, we just got to him. I did notice on Ji-Kun that I did pretty well due to all the AOE damage from Quills.

I'm using the 1h LFR Mace from TOES and the OH From LFR, so my weapons could be a lot better. I have crappy luck with LFR drops lately.

I'm now at 504 ilvl equipped in holy, got my Tier Pants and have my LFR gloves for a 2pc. The only places I'm needing a big upgrade on is my MH/OH.

I suppose the thing I'm finding is that in most the fights, there isn't sustained AOE healing where the AE Chakra can really shine, or doesn't seem to be. Either that's because of the two disc priests and the hots from druids or maybe I'm just missing something. I admittedly don't use lightspring as much as I should, I will start doing that more.

Until our last raid night, I believe I was under most the other healers by 5-10 ilvl's, so now that I am closer I will see if that makes a difference. (I went from 476 legs to 522 tier for instance). I should be able to upload a bit more logs to WoL and then hopefully it will give better insight.

Thanks for your help!

I believe you may see more improvement from updating your weapon than from updating other pieces although every piece helps ofc (hope someone more knowledgeable than me might chime in). You can simulate impact from upgrades i.e. impact from stat changes with a spreadsheet like Adinne's healing calculator. Meanwhile, popping lightspring on CD will also help. GL.

Edited by Ente

Agreed, I need that damn staff off Ji-Kun...LFR has not been good to me, and I'm 2nd or so in line to get it if it did drop. We did 10m Duru on Saturday and I put the logs up for it. Holy actually works quite well for that fight, and It was after I got some much needed upgrades. Tomorrow we will be re-clearing so hopefully I'll be able to show logs for all the fights up to that.

Hi all I am running as Holy Priest in Throne and clearing heroic content I am looking for input on what stats people think are better for healing I'm currently running a half and half mastery and crit I am currently raid healing in 10 man and it is suggested that Crit over mastery but its seems to be more for single target healing any idea's or suggestions are greatly appreciated my wow char name is Halfpintheal on US Dreadmaul.

Edited by Halfpintheal