FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Cyniikal

[713] Frost Mage Help

Hey, I've never posted here before, but seeing as Altered-Time seems to be pretty dead, and I couldn't find another ElitistJerks-esque site, I figured you guys might be able to help me.

I've been sort of disappointed with my DPS as of late, and was wondering if I was doing something drastically wrong. I have some logs

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/bajHCPVpMZkDdBAv

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/1Xtj76xg9QLJaCNT

I know they are RF logs, but my DPS was about the same in heroic HFC, yet I parsed FAR lower. I suppose that has to do with the calibre of players in raidfinder, or maybe itemization and gear (Most heroic raiders seem to have their class trinket and 2/4pc at my ilvl). 

I would greatly appreciate it if you guys could help out, as I feel kind of crappy. I never felt like this in Highmaul when I did mythic stuff, maybe I'm just rusty? Or did the spec change greatly in 6.2.3 with better gear?

First thing is you are using bad talents. Frost bomb is awful and only viable on heavy aoe fights like xhul. Ice nova until you have 4 set then you run UM. 

I really don't know how to analyze logs for frost to be honest. Make sure you aren't wasting FoF procs or BF procs. Your activity is also low. Always practice to have 99%+ uptime. Learn to use flows more effectively (bind it to one of the easy to access side button on you mouse). Especially as frost with so many instant procs, you should always be planning your movement so have some instant casts ready to go when moving.

Also, anytime you have more than 1 target such as council, run TV and not PC. Also PC is only a small dps upgrade from comet storm and comet storm is MUCH easier to use so keep that in mind also. Also seems you forgot to use RoP on kilrogg? And RoP is pretty much not viable on most fights in heroic/mythic HFC unless its on mega farm mode.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. All in all your dps seems quite decent but I don't have much to compare to. All I know is I see much worse sometimes even in mythic groups!

Edited by Irugard

1) Get that Frost Bomb out of there. The breakpoint for that talent being good anywhere but heavy AoE is like... 600-something ilvl. Plus it's fidgety and annoying. Ice Nova is pretty great, as is Unstable Magic with tier set (breakpoint for UM>Nova can be earlier than 4-set, and it was for me; sim it with your gear).

2) On Manno you missed your first PC (yeah, I know, it's just the trash that's part of the boss, but it IS lost DPS); on Gore you didn't hold your second one for Feast/BL.

3) The tier set and class trinket matter a lot. Not like they do for arcane where (alongside Prophecy of Fear) they make the entire spec, but still a lot. Even if you can't get class trinket you can at least hunt down an HFC trinket; all of the HFC caster trinkets are pretty good for frost, so you're spoiled for choice there.

In general your play seems good; you just want to improve your uptime slightly (by using Alter Time and Ice Floes correctly) and tweak your DPS talents. I second Irugard's suggestions on talents. And... you need gear. Tier set. Second trinket, preferably from Archimonde.

Edited by FluffyCally