FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Spikefails

Survival question.

I read on here that when I get a lock and load proc: Whenever you get a Lock and Load proc, you should simply fire the Explosive Shots one after the other. Prior to Mists of Pandaria, this was a small DPS loss, due to the way the Explosive Shot DoT worked, but it is no longer a problem.

I don't really know what the change was, or why this could possibly be beneficial. Our dot duration doesn't stack up like warlocks, and It's only 2 charges over 12 seconds, when the internal cooldown is 10 seconds, and the dot duration is 2 seconds. If we fire both charges off right after another we are bound to lose some dot ticks, aren't we? You can't justify it using the travel time of the move, saying that it takes 2 seconds to get to your target, because it just flat out doesn't. I can send it late on the 1 second mark and it's refreshed before the dot ticks off.

If anyone knows something I am missing I would love to have my eyes opened,

Thanks

It may have something to do with using the proc up before you get another proc.

Edit: i read through the rotation guide and i see that Lock and Load has a 10 second cooldown so there must be another reason

Edited by Crocky

I read on here that when I get a lock and load proc: Whenever you get a Lock and Load proc, you should simply fire the Explosive Shots one after the other. Prior to Mists of Pandaria, this was a small DPS loss, due to the way the Explosive Shot DoT worked, but it is no longer a problem.

I don't really know what the change was, or why this could possibly be beneficial. Our dot duration doesn't stack up like warlocks, and It's only 2 charges over 12 seconds, when the internal cooldown is 10 seconds, and the dot duration is 2 seconds. If we fire both charges off right after another we are bound to lose some dot ticks, aren't we? You can't justify it using the travel time of the move, saying that it takes 2 seconds to get to your target, because it just flat out doesn't. I can send it late on the 1 second mark and it's refreshed before the dot ticks off.

If anyone knows something I am missing I would love to have my eyes opened,

Thanks

Before Mists of Pandaria, if you cast Explosive Shot on the target while the Explosive Shot DoT was already ticking on that target, then a tick of the DoT would be wasted. It would just basically over-write itself and you would miss out on a tick. So, the best way to handle Lock and Load procs then was to stagger the Explosive Shot casts (either by doing nothing for half a second between them, or by filling the time with some other casts).

In Mists of Pandaria, however, Explosive Shot (and a bunch of other spells that worked the same way) was changed. Now, if you cast Explosive Shot on a target while there's already Explosive Shot there, the remaining ticks of the DoT get merged together with the new DoT, and the target ends up taking the full damage. So, you lose absolutely nothing by chain-casting Explosive Shots. And why is it better to chain cast Explosive Shots? Because it gets the spell's cooldown going!

• Like 1

I posted this question in the Survival section of the hunter guides and was directed here:

"So maybe my Skada is just missing something, but casting LnL back to back is getting me only 7-8 ticks of ES instead of the full 9. Sometimes when I weave one AS in between the second and third ES I'll get 9 ticks, but it's still unreliable. The only way I can get Skada to record a full 9 ticks of ES is the old ES > AS > ES > AS > ES cycle."

I can see no situation where casting all three ESs from LnL in a row is a DPS increase, that's 1-2 huge wasted ticks.

The point is it doesn't extend the dot, it merges it so the dmg is added to the new dot. Therefore there will be less ticks but the ticks will hit harder.

Do a test for me, fire ES AS ES AS ES and look at you lower, avg, and upper.

Now for ES ES ES and look at the lower, avg, and upper.

There should be a greater difference between the upper and lower for the ES ES ES and a greater avg.

You may have to repeat this several times to get anything statistically valid but I think there should be enough difference for the rng not to interfere too much.

EDIT: to do a proper test, you should do a 5 min test with ES AS ES AS ES, even through LnL.

Do one (same number of shots not ticks) with only chain casting ES {ES ES ES}, even if ES if off cd usually otherwise this will scew the results.

Edited by Xinto

Ok, to start out:

This is an incredibly outdated thread that has been resurrected. Most of the information here is wrong. Pre MoP you had to stagger it because you would lose damage if you clipped an explosive shot dot. That has changed with moP. You can now just do all three at once. Reason being that even if you get less ticks, it's the same damage.

Hadn't noticed this was an old thread, but still Katye's question isn't.

Also note; since LnL can proc every 10sec. You need to process your proc'd ESs to ensure you get full benefit out of LnL.

In a 10sec window.

0 LnL proc, fire ES

1 second ES

2 third ES

8 ES off cd to be fired again

10 possible for LnL to proc again.

This only gives a maximum of 2sec to fire your 4th ES before its possible for LnL to proc again. If you delay any of your LnL proc shots you risk not getting the 4th one in on time.

This is the best case scenario for the procs but it can happen.

Thank you for the clarification on that! I apparently forgot that I'd gotten the memo about hunter changes in MoP. Looking at the damage numbers (and before/after in some LFRs) you are, of course, correct.

I know this thread was a bit old, but the topic was quite relevant so I chose to hitch a ride instead of starting a new one.

Edited by Katye