FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Oltier

Trinket procs vs. Invocation

Hai fellow Icy-veiners!

I have been thinking a lot about this topic, but I could not find a conclusion on my own, so I would like to ask for your help.

Invocation has 60 seconds duration.

Most trinkets and Lightweave Embodiery has a 45-50 seconds ICD.

Now, there are two options.

• Let the trinkets proc while I have like 10-15 seconds remaining from Invocation and evocate when Invocation expires, wasting like 5 seconds of trinket proc.
  • Evocate, before the ICDs on trinkets run out, and DPS during the whole duration of the trinket, however wasting a few seconds of DPS because of evocating while I'd still have 15 seconds on invocation
In Your opinion, which one would worth more?

If a combat log helps, here is our recent Lei Shen kill (wooot, first kill tonight!!) log.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/0qp8ol1vqqbnjdud/

• Like 1

You should be able to solve this by Evocating before the pull. Your buff shouldn't conflict with the trinkets at organized points as you suggest.

During the course of the fight, it may happen a couple of times. I'm not sure exactly which one is correct in terms of the scenarios you provided, but I think you should never evocate that soon (with 15 seconds remaining). That will lead to an overall dps loss because you are spending more time evocating throughout the duration of the fight. I always wait until the very end (<3 seconds) before I reapply. Exceptions involve an example of tonight during Jin'rokh where he was about to electrify his pool, so rather than spend a couple of seconds to reapply I choose instead to continue DPSing and let it fall off, since I would reapply after moving away from the pool.

Also, it shouldn't take up 5 seconds of your trinket. The SPA trinket for example only last 10 seconds (compared to the 15-20 you suggest in your post). An evocate takes 2.2-2.4 seconds self-buffed. If a trinket is procced at the same time, it should be 2.0 flat if you are prioritizing haste as you should.

If it was me, and I had 2 seconds left of a trinket, and I needed to choose between another frostbolt with ticks of NT or Evocation, I think I'd choose Evocation. That's just what I know I would do though.

• Like 1

Don't evocate early. Posted Image I'm pretty sure you would be losing 2 frostbolt casts everytime you did this. The only time I would evocate early would be to have higher uptime during specific burn phases (Jin'rokh - Fluidity, Ji-Kun - Primal Nutriment, etc...)

• Like 1

Thank you for your answers! What you said totally makes sense to me, so I think I'll choose option 1. ;)