FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Vlad

Overwatch Mei

Guide is extremely solid (frozen solid? i'll stop). I had like 3 tips and tricks I didn't see listed. Spent 15 minutes writing them up, double checked guide, sure enough they are there. It even lists some of the more troll-esque moves you can pull off with mei like ice walling the enemy teams starting gate XD

10/10 - mei guide is good

Guest Will

I'd add to the Ice Wall entry that you can press E a second time while targeting to rotate the wall 90 degrees, so when it is placed, it places in a line away from you, rather than horizontally.  I frequently use this to boost myself to higher ledges, similar to the technique already mentioned for boosting allies.

17 hours ago, Guest Will said:

I'd add to the Ice Wall entry that you can press E a second time while targeting to rotate the wall 90 degrees, so when it is placed, it places in a line away from you, rather than horizontally.  I frequently use this to boost myself to higher ledges, similar to the technique already mentioned for boosting allies.

Especially useful for making jumps like on Hanamura, going from point A to B over the large gap.

Surprisingly not mentioned in the guide: You can also destroy your own wall early if you press E after placing it.

Oh, and you can also escape Junkrat's trap if you place the wall under your feet.

Edited by ChackO
Adding more content.

Guest Ash

I feel somewhat, meh about this article.

Usually Icy Veins is quite on point with their guides.. This needs a little updating.

Mei is probably, arguably, one of the strongest heroes. In. The. Game.
Her sniping abilities - even at long range, can kill most players in 3-4 shots.
Her ice walls allows you to single out tanks and/or silly defensive heroes out of position.
Her Blizzard allows you to freeze teams defending the point allowing for an easy capture.
Her shift allows her to be a double hero more or less

She is most definitely viable on both defense and offense situations.

Guest Guest
On 7.11.2016 at 0:02 AM, Guest Ash said:

I feel somewhat, meh about this article.

Usually Icy Veins is quite on point with their guides.. This needs a little updating.

Mei is probably, arguably, one of the strongest heroes. In. The. Game.
Her sniping abilities - even at long range, can kill most players in 3-4 shots.
Her ice walls allows you to single out tanks and/or silly defensive heroes out of position.
Her Blizzard allows you to freeze teams defending the point allowing for an easy capture.
Her shift allows her to be a double hero more or less

I didn't play Overwatch that much when the guide went live, but I think that Mei wasn't a meta hero back then. Barely used on defense, almost never on offense.

I don't know what happened, but for some reason she's used alot more nowadays and is viable pick for many different situations, be it defense or even offense.

That said, I think all of the Overwatch guides are outdated here on Icy Veins, but I think they'll get back to updating these sooner or later. :) These guides were very helpful, good quality guides when these were updated, and I am sure that we are going to get even better Overwatch guides from Icy Veins when they aren't busy with other stuff. :)

On 11/6/2016 at 10:02 PM, Guest Ash said:

The problem with Mei is that she doesn't do something that is considerably better than other heroes, at least that is worth her being added to a team. Her right click is HUGELY inferior to McCree's left click and Widowmaker, yes she can Ice Block on point, but two left clicks from McCree and she dies. Also, with the popularity of Zarya and Reinhardt as the two main tanks by far, they are both really strong vs. Mei. Mei's strength vs. tanks only sticks on Roadhog/D.Va/Winston. 

Yes, her ult can be useful, but it is essentially a worse Zarya ult. 

With (normally) only 2 DPS slots available on a team, it's simply not worth sacrificing so much damage to have a character that other heroes can do everything, but better. McCree, Reaper, Genji, Pharah would all be better picks then Mei on most maps.

Anyway, regardless of this, the Overwatch guides do need some updating. It's on our internal list of things "to-do", but I'll add another note to it.

Guest Hmac

You should add that initially the blizzard IS a projectile, so it is subject to being absorbed by D. Va's defense matrix, and possible, although I'm not sure, genji's deflect. 
Also, there is a typo in the Blizzard category, where it says "In this cases, especially if you have teammates around, you should have a fairly easy time killing any enemies caught in the Blizzard"

You could either say "In these cases" or "In this case" if you're talking about abilities collectively