FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Rrasis

Destruction - I feel as though my DPS should be better

I feel as though my DPS is lacking now days, I'm at a 521 ilvl with only 2 piece T15

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/icecrown/Rrasis/simple

I've attached a link to a couple of normal bosses we cleared earlier this week, apparently we failed to log the remainder of our kills this week lol.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-911uh9hm7xwbypgm/analyze/dd/source/?s=3439&e=3812

All fights are me as destruction other than Council which is me as Affliction(still no lei shen trinket so I'm sticking with affliction instead of demonology until then)

I don't think I'm doing horrible most of the people are only 1-3 i levels ahead of me, I just feel as though I should be doing better. Most fights I'm second to last unless i can abuse mechanics such as Horridon or Primordius.

I feel as though my DPS is lacking now days, I'm at a 521 ilvl with only 2 piece T15

What Gravy said. Also, 4 piece for this tier is extremely lackluster. Don't worry too much about that.

For Tortos, make sure you're spreading FnB Immolate to the bats and keeping RoF on them for some amazing spam Chaos Bolt action. Use Havoc/Shadowburn on CD with Tortos as the target. Priority targets are: Near death bats > near death turtles > waiting to be kicked turtles. I put bats first because turtles don't refund you any embers, but it's still a lot of damage on Tortos.

That said, it's a crazy fight with many targets and shit to dodge, so it's easy to lose focus and stop casting. Resist the urge!

• Like 2

Hey Rrasis,

On Horridon I see that you only used DS twice for a 9+ minute fight. It can be weird to know what times are the best to be using DS, but you should try to be using it on cooldown. You can cheese a little bit if you want to delay it for a havoc+shadowburn combo if you know a high priority add will be ready for that soon, but if not pop DS and burn everything to the ground Posted Image . Your Havoc count is also low. Havoc on CD is recommended. More Havocs overall will outweigh only using Havocs at opportune moments. Consider trying GoSac for this fight. Your imp was rocking a solid 11k DPS lol. I have no doubt with Sac you could get more than an 11k benefit.

Council. Seems a little low, but I'm not an affl expert since I use Demo for that fight. It looks like you were only keeping DoTs up on 3 targets for most of the fight. Its probably because your tank pulled the priestess way off into the boonies or something, but if you can keep DoTs rolling on all 4 bosses. You'd probably be better off using a pet for this fight over Sacrifice. 40% up-time on Malefic Grasp means you're not benefiting from GoSac enough to make it worthwhile. The majority of your time will be spent keeping 99.5% up-time on your dots on all the bosses.

For Tortos its tough to say what you should work on since it depends on your role for the fight. It looks like you're assigned to focusing turtles and not bats. A lock who is single-targeting turtles + kicking is never going to beat a lock who is allowed to AoE bats and Havoc + Shadowburn off of dying bats. Your comp only has 3 ranged though so you might be s.o.l.. If you are on turtle duty it won;t hurt to drop a RoF over the bat group and pop off a FnB:Immolate onto them. This will give you a ton of embers to burn down the turtles. Only 3 Havocs used so you definitely want to increase that. The only other major thing to do would be to make sure you are tossing some damage towards Tortos after each shell kick to benefit from the increased damage hes taking. Glyph of Conflag is also useful for this fight.

For Megaera I wouldn't recommend using GoSac. The combo of your Haste build and not gaining any damage buffs from the fight's mechanics would set you up to be using a pet, GoSup + Imp. Havoc count seems low, but its hard to tell. What are you casting to burn your Havocs with? Incinerates are recommended, but if you want to cheese your DPS a little (a lot actuallyPosted Image ) Havoc+Shadowburn is the cheesiest thing you can do on that fight. You only did 4mil to the frozen head so I'm guessing you aren't padding. RoF up-time could be higher and make sure you're placing it between the two heads to hit both. On a non-DPS related matter, make sure you're using Sac Pact before the rampages start. It seems like you're popping it as an after thought or once you start to take damage. That shield lasts for 20 seconds so using it before the rampage starts will cover you 100% along with your soul leech. Using it early also ensures that its off CD for the next rampage.

• Like 5

I must say, this is wonderful seeing others' advice being just as good if not better than what I would have delivered. Thanks Cruz, Gravy, and Omaric.

• Like 7

For Tortos, make sure you're spreading FnB Immolate to the bats and keeping RoF on them for some amazing spam Chaos Bolt action.

oh i didn't even look at his RoF numbers on tortos. seems low.....or, at least it seems low to my fledgling numbers but i like setting everything on fire all the time so...you know how it is.

EDIT:

On a non-DPS related matter, make sure you're using Sac Pact before the rampages start. It seems like you're popping it as an after thought or once you start to take damage. That shield lasts for 20 seconds so using it before the rampage starts will cover you 100% along with your soul leech. Using it early also ensures that its off CD for the next rampage.

I save mine for when the green head spits the swirly cloud. Isn't it better served for us then, instead of during rampage?

I figure with the small build up of bubble we have from finishing off the previous head, add double immolate slow trickle and our imp's heal....that should get us in line with the rest of the group. saving the sacrifice shield for the green spit...and if we're quick enough that'll get us through two attacks (not direct hits....always run away of course...but maybe they aren't so bad it eats the whole shield at once)

edit 2:

here's my damage taken last week when i would just stand there and eat the acid attack, but sac pact through it just so i wouldn't have to move: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-rp4i3etn8ayl8pk3/spell/139850/?enc=wipes&boss=68065

i've changed that method for this week's attempts when i realized i'd be less of a jackass thing to do and possible have it last twice as long...i still ended up taking a fuckton of damage: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-5dqlx4gjdnyg9ve1/spell/139850/?enc=wipes&boss=68065

Edited by Gravyspasm
  • Like 1

Hmm good point. It does seem like it would be less effective to use it during a Rampage anyway since there is so much AoE healing going out that it would probably all be wasted with the uber-shield of SL + Sac Pact. I'll try using it for the green swirlies next time. Reducing single-target healing required for healers seems like a good thing. Acid Rain was the number one source of damage taken for me on that fight for my logs Posted Image.

I save mine for when the green head spits the swirly cloud. Isn't it better served for us then, instead of during rampage?

I figure with the small build up of bubble we have from finishing off the previous head, add double immolate slow trickle and our imp's heal....that should get us in line with the rest of the group. saving the sacrifice shield for the green spit...and if we're quick enough that'll get us through two attacks (not direct hits....always run away of course...but maybe they aren't so bad it eats the whole shield at once)

Eh, the CD of Sact Pact lines up perfectly for every Rampage. It's pretty much a no brainer for me. My Soul leech has been taking care of the green swirlies pretty well, especially if I'm able to create some distance.

Also Rrasis, are you the designated turtle kicker on Tortos? If so, I feel your pain. The added responsibility can definitely affect your DPS, but not so greatly that you can't still be top 25% in your raid.

Edited by Omaric

edit 2:

here's my damage taken last week when i would just stand there and eat the acid attack, but sac pact through it just so i wouldn't have to move: http://www.worldoflo...ipes&boss=68065

i've changed that method for this week's attempts when i realized i'd be less of a jackass thing to do and possible have it last twice as long...i still ended up taking a fuckton of damage: http://www.worldoflo...ipes&boss=68065

Hehe ya you went from a 215k average hit from Acid Rain to a 166k average. Every little bit helps.

Edit: I'm not entirely sure which page I should be pulling thos numbers from. The difference between the Acid Rain spell detail page and the individual damage by spell >> Damage taken page is different.

Edited by Cruzan

Eh, the CD of Sact Pact lines up perfectly for every Rampage. It's pretty much a no brainer for me. My Soul leech has been taking care of the green swirlies pretty well, especially if I'm able to create some distance.

Also Rrasis, are you the designated turtle kicker on Tortos? If so, I feel your pain. The added responsibility can definitely affect your DPS, but not so greatly that you can't still be top 25% in your raid.

I remember when I used to kill green heads...normal was so much easier -.-.

This page is a perfect example of why Icy-Veins is the best compendium for warlock knowledge. Thank you Gravy, Omaric, and Cruzan, your tips will increase my output a bit this week too. I love how Zagam gets a day off, pops his head in the door to say "way to go team!" and gets 5 likes (including mine).

I take it then from Cruzan's post that Havoc'd Incinerates generate embers? I have resisted the urge to pad on Mag and I had just assumed that Havoc negated the ember generation from the extra Incinerates like FnB. I will be adding a mouseover to my Havoc macro since focus drops during transition.

Hey, don't tell anyone, but I passed Damien in reputation/likes. I AM THE SUPREME OWNER OF THE MOST LIKES!

Havoc Incinerate gives you extra embers. This is why it's the best option for normal mode Megaera. I play Demo on Heroic for the on-demand mega burst on the adds, but Destro could be utilized here to Havoc Shadowburns onto the kill-target head. Mouseover Havoc macros are awesome. I use a button on my mouse for Havoc and just make sure I have a focus macro target. Since I knew the kill order of the heads back when I did normal mode, you could set the Venom head as your focus and use a /targetlasttarget line that would make it so you'd never have to target him. Either way is fine, but I would think the mouseover would be even better.

• Like 1

This page is absolute gold. I am a complete retard when it comes to using most macros; currently don't even use one on my lock, only on my rogue to pop off a bunch of abilities at once. This mouseover macro for focus, how does it work?