FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Acarea

Am I doing something wrong ? (Unholy)

Our guild is going through HFC HM, right now we are on Archimonde and I feel like I could do more DPS. Here is a link to our last raiding session link and my Armory  I have all trinkets from HFC but Discordant chorus, + GWH and Skull of War. I pick GWH and Unending Hunger, am I right to do so ?

For pulling i do Army + flask then ,Outbreak, Gargoil, Festering and Scourge, I try to stack as much RP I can, then I unleash hell with BoS on the hell fire spirit. Then I try to maintain BoS as long as possible on the deathcaller.

Well I'm new to BoS so I try to do so. Outside of the BoS period, I try to keep Dark transformartion Up as long as I can, preserving my death coils. I spread my diseases on every fiends with Blood boil.

I sometimes use Icy Touch to transform my frost runes into deaths, should I keep doing this ?

Other than that I feel that I use Icyveins's rotation corectly ?

Should I use Gargoil every 3 minutes or every 4 for the ring ?

I feel like I have a lot of down time, is it normal ? I wasn't feeling the same as a Frost DK.

Is my stuff alright ? I'm trying to loot velhari's hand and Zakuun's trinket (as well as Archimonde's sword)

Could you please tell me what I can do better ?

Sorry for my english, and thanks for reading

Our guild is going through HFC HM, right now we are on Archimonde and I feel like I could do more DPS. Here is a link to our last raiding session link and my Armory  I have all trinkets from HFC but Discordant chorus, + GWH and Skull of War. I pick GWH and Unending Hunger, am I right to do so ?

For pulling i do Army + flask then ,Outbreak, Gargoil, Festering and Scourge, I try to stack as much RP I can, then I unleash hell with BoS on the hell fire spirit. Then I try to maintain BoS as long as possible on the deathcaller.

Well I'm new to BoS so I try to do so. Outside of the BoS period, I try to keep Dark transformartion Up as long as I can, preserving my death coils. I spread my diseases on every fiends with Blood boil.

I sometimes use Icy Touch to transform my frost runes into deaths, should I keep doing this ?

Other than that I feel that I use Icyveins's rotation corectly ?

Should I use Gargoil every 3 minutes or every 4 for the ring ?

I feel like I have a lot of down time, is it normal ? I wasn't feeling the same as a Frost DK.

Is my stuff alright ? I'm trying to loot velhari's hand and Zakuun's trinket (as well as Archimonde's sword)

Could you please tell me what I can do better ?

Sorry for my english, and thanks for reading

Alrighty, lets do some work biggrin.png

First thing, Archimonde is sort of a yucky fight for DKs. We don't excel as much on him as we do other ones.

So as far as your trinkets, you are fine. Archi is a long fight so heroic UeH will be better than lvl 6 skull of war.

First thing to help out on archimonde pre pull is, you should notice the green pond to the left of him. Standing in it hurts you. This is good, pop AMS and you can pre soak, and start up with a almost full gauge of runic power. For BOS, just focus on archimonde when you are breathing. By focusing doomfire, you are going to kill it, then have to turn, those are precious seconds BOS won't be hitting anything. Just focus it on archi, because when the deathcaller spawns, he'll likely get hit by BOS as well, it makes a nice spread pattern.

As far as gargoyle goes, just drop him on cooldown. As far as a BOS perspective goes, Bos should always be done during the ring pop, and your priority then should be doing everything possible to extend BOS for full ring duration, don't worry about gargoyle at that point. He can wait to come out and play biggrin.png

The other two points you make I think are inter-related. As unholy there should almost always be a button to push. Only convert frost runes, if you are using blood boil on the blood runes. It messes up your rune regeneration. This is probably why you are seeing some downtime. I might try to focus on using blood boil with death runes, and focusing on festering strike with your blood and frost. This is just sorta to try and help with rune regeneration and preventing downtime. You should only have to blood boil sparingly to spread diseases.

When BOS is down and you are waiting to recharge, the basic icy-veins rotation is correct. Keep timmy (zombie) transformed, scourge strike with unholy and death runes, festering strike with blood and frost, keep diseases up, etc. 

Then as far as your gear things look fine. There are more optimal pieces here and there for min maxing, but overall you are fine.

keep in mind too that bos is a burst ability. the longer the fight goes the more time we have for our dps to "drop". if your raids dps isn't high and you aren't burning the boss, you will see lower dps numbers. this doesn't necessariy mean you aren't doing well. 

• Like 1

It was my understanding that BoS wasn't the best to use on Archimonde, instead you use Necrotic Plague and just keep the stacks rolling on Archimonde while spreading NP to anything and everything that you can. You would ideally also want to stay out of Banishes so you can spread your NP to the Infernals to help kill them while using your Death Grip to help keep them separated and Anti-Magic Shell to mitigate damage and get free RP.

My understanding of Breath of Sindragosa it worked best the shorter the fights became or on Single Target fights? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment I can offer on your gear is you probably would want to swap the Mastery gem for Multistrike in your UH trinket. I've also been seeing that people regard Hellrender as BiS over Calamity's Edge for Unholy, despite being 5 ilvls lower, so hang onto your Hellrender even if you do get Archimonde's sword. Perfectly itemized apparently wins there, particularly in fights with multiple targets.

It was my understanding that BoS wasn't the best to use on Archimonde, instead you use Necrotic Plague and just keep the stacks rolling on Archimonde while spreading NP to anything and everything that you can. You would ideally also want to stay out of Banishes so you can spread your NP to the Infernals to help kill them while using your Death Grip to help keep them separated and Anti-Magic Shell to mitigate damage and get free RP.

My understanding of Breath of Sindragosa it worked best the shorter the fights became or on Single Target fights? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment I can offer on your gear is you probably would want to swap the Mastery gem for Multistrike in your UH trinket. I've also been seeing that people regard Hellrender as BiS over Calamity's Edge for Unholy, despite being 5 ilvls lower, so hang onto your Hellrender even if you do get Archimonde's sword. Perfectly itemized apparently wins there, particularly in fights with multiple targets.

it's been debated quite a bit about which is better. necroblight is certainly more friendly to use than BOS on archi and there does appear to be more room to spread diseases and such. however, many have posted logs and sims that show proper BOS is still pulls ahead on mythic, when there is like 15 minute fight and you can use it multiple times. however, again we are talking super leet people.

so, I'm actually going to retract my statement and agree with TeamC. BOS (Can under super leet) situations be superior on archi but instead go with necrotic plague as your raid teams DPS isn't super high, and you should see much better results with necrotic plague :)

really good recommendation Team C :)

• Like 1

Thanks DemonArdvark! biggrin.png 

I think you make an excellent point about BoS. At the highest levels of play and gear and content it seems like it is far and away the best choice.

It seemed like where Acarea and his/her guild were NP might have been a bit easier to work with rather than trying to line up all the stuff you need to do to make BoS really shine all while messing around with a fairly complex fight.

Acarea take some free time to go out and play with BoS on a training dummy, if you run 5mans use it there too. Just practice getting used to it in various situations, quickly building RP, lining up Gargoyle, Ring, Potion, Breath and Super Ghoul all at once. It definitely takes more micromanagement than Necrotic Plague, but it'll yield better results in most cases once you get the hang of it. If you need help there are some really nice Weak Auras on the Icy Veins DK Forums that you can use. I see you have a Blood Spec too. I'd recommend using BoS there too as a way of getting more practice, and I prefer it over the other two talents now that I'm used to it.

Good luck!

Edited by Blainie