FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Avindar

Fury Warrior Key Binding Help

I have been a Fury Warrior "clcker" for a long long time. I am asking for some suggestions on what is the best key binding for a Fury Warrior. What key binds are the best for this toon.

Thanks in advance....

You're essentially asking what a person's favorite brand of soda is - Coke or Pepsi. Keybindings, like your UI, is a personal matter; you will have to find out what is best for you. Anything, however, is better than clicking in terms of efficiency. With that being said, however, you have a few options:

1. Keyboard: W,S,A,D Movement Keys

This is the standard setup that most people use right out of the box. Further keybinds are usually 1,2,3,4,5, and the keys around W,S,A,D.

2. Keyboard: E,D,S,F Movement Keys

While not as familiar as W,S,A,D, this is similar but offers more options for bindings. The slight movement right is hard for some to get used to. Again, it includes numbers and the surrounding keys around these movement keys.

3. Using a Gamepad / Gaming Mouse

The third option, and one of my personal preference, is using a Gamepad. My device is the Logitech G13 Gamepad. (Don't purchase it directly from Logitech; you can find cheaper sources such as Amazon or Newegg.) You have this gamepad, a Razor equivalent, or even a Naga mouse. Again, these are personal preferences if you should take this route.

Whatever you find most comfortable / efficient for you will take time. Once you find something - stick with it and practice. Muscle memory is an actual thing and it'll take time to develop if you're not used to using keybinds.

I hope this helps and, should you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Definitely make the jump to key binding! I was a clicker for a shameful amount of time until the end of cata and then I forced myself to try and do it. It sounds funny but it did seem daunting at first, but after an hour of practice on a training dummy it was like discovering a brand new game! The pace of your game play experience accelerates to a whole new level, your dps increases your utility in groups and situational awareness (now that you are not staring a the bottom of your screen) opens up your world! I couldn't recommend it enough.

So how I first started out was with moving strafe onto W and D to free up your E and your Q. I set E to my most spammed ability (usually a resource builder) and my Q to my interupt ability for fast reactions. Then you want to work out what is comfortable for you and set the buttons around WASD to your rotational abilitys. Buttons like 1234 are great if you have a simple core rotation. If you play a lot of alts as well you can keep things consistent with your muscle memory. For example all my toons have their stun on the F key, their interupt on Q and so on. So after migrating all my buttons and macros on to my keyboard and two button mouse I found myself a guild and started practicing and raiding. I quickly found myself in the top 3 consistently on the damage metre and the reward I felt from that was amazing.this process of key binding also helped me realise how and why I should play my class the way I do, instead of mindlessly clicking a row of buttons as the come off cool down.

Now in the case of fury warrior which I have just started to play seriously I would highly recommend buying a naga or similar. I purchased one a few months ago and feel like difference it has made to my skill is just as great as going from clicking to the key binding I mentioned above. As a melee I would struggle to keep up in high movement situations and preform my rotation as beat as I could. I will quickly say that I was mailing Hunter when I first started key binding and so it was perfect for a ranged toon. So anyway now I have my naga buttons assigned to all the spells in my rotation. For fury it is easy, the middle of the naga pad is blood thirst and then surrounding that is execute, rb, ww, ws and vr. This allows me to dedicate my left hand to my movement and utility spells and cool down like recklessness. I usually keep my finger down on right click almost all the time for turning my toon and my thumb does the rotation. This small change has been hugely effective for me and has made me far more precise in my game play. The only thing I would say I find difficult with this method of using the naga is quickly picking out a casting target in the middle of a mob because the cursor disappears when I am using the right click held down to control my toon.

I am happy to provide images of my full keyboard and mouse layout for you if you like. I am currently on the train home from work which explains the many grammatical errors I have surely committed. So if you are interested let me know. But use them as inspiration. Be creative with your key binding and modifiers. You will care about your key bindings more if they are personal to you, like mine are to me.

Anyway I hope my blabbering has somewhat helped!

• Like 1

Definitely make the jump to key binding! I was a clicker for a shameful amount of time until the end of cata and then I forced myself to try and do it. It sounds funny but it did seem daunting at first, but after an hour of practice on a training dummy it was like discovering a brand new game! The pace of your game play experience accelerates to a whole new level, your dps increases your utility in groups and situational awareness (now that you are not staring a the bottom of your screen) opens up your world! I couldn't recommend it enough.

So how I first started out was with moving strafe onto W and D to free up your E and your Q. I set E to my most spammed ability (usually a resource builder) and my Q to my interupt ability for fast reactions. Then you want to work out what is comfortable for you and set the buttons around WASD to your rotational abilitys. Buttons like 1234 are great if you have a simple core rotation. If you play a lot of alts as well you can keep things consistent with your muscle memory. For example all my toons have their stun on the F key, their interupt on Q and so on. So after migrating all my buttons and macros on to my keyboard and two button mouse I found myself a guild and started practicing and raiding. I quickly found myself in the top 3 consistently on the damage metre and the reward I felt from that was amazing.this process of key binding also helped me realise how and why I should play my class the way I do, instead of mindlessly clicking a row of buttons as the come off cool down.

Now in the case of fury warrior which I have just started to play seriously I would highly recommend buying a naga or similar. I purchased one a few months ago and feel like difference it has made to my skill is just as great as going from clicking to the key binding I mentioned above. As a melee I would struggle to keep up in high movement situations and preform my rotation as beat as I could. I will quickly say that I was mailing Hunter when I first started key binding and so it was perfect for a ranged toon. So anyway now I have my naga buttons assigned to all the spells in my rotation. For fury it is easy, the middle of the naga pad is blood thirst and then surrounding that is execute, rb, ww, ws and vr. This allows me to dedicate my left hand to my movement and utility spells and cool down like recklessness. I usually keep my finger down on right click almost all the time for turning my toon and my thumb does the rotation. This small change has been hugely effective for me and has made me far more precise in my game play. The only thing I would say I find difficult with this method of using the naga is quickly picking out a casting target in the middle of a mob because the cursor disappears when I am using the right click held down to control my toon.

I am happy to provide images of my full keyboard and mouse layout for you if you like. I am currently on the train home from work which explains the many grammatical errors I have surely committed. So if you are interested let me know. But use them as inspiration. Be creative with your key binding and modifiers. You will care about your key bindings more if they are personal to you, like mine are to me.

Anyway I hope my blabbering has somewhat helped!

Sensible input always helps! Setting your movement keys to strafe automatically helped me a great deal too.

On 5/18/2016 at 2:27 PM, Japiem said:

I am happy to provide images of my full keyboard and mouse layout for you if you like.

At first I considered doing this myself. Now that you've mentioned it I suppose I'll go ahead and do the same.

First off, here is what my action bars look like in game as far as my abilities / rotation / spells - the important stuff

Fury_Warrior_Keybinds.jpg

Now, as I previously noted, I use a Logitech G13 Gamepad. I took a screenshot of it in the software and it shows all the respective keybinds that I have mapped to it:

G13_Layout.jpg

The default keybinds for strafing are "Q" and "E", so I left them at that and simply bound the movement keys accordingly that I would strafe instead of turn.

The important thing here is to notice how my action bar layout mirrors the layout of the gamepad. This allows instant hand-eye coordination and muscle tuning. I don't have to look at my gamepad or my action bars to see what ability I'm using; the mirrored layout allows me to instantly know what I need to press, if that makes sense.

Furthermore, take note of what Japiem also said as it is also very important (if you play alts):

If you play a lot of alts as well you can keep things consistent with your muscle memory. For example all my toons have their stun on the F key, their interupt on Q and so on.

These keybinds of mine stay the same on any DPS or tanking class I play; my healer has the same keybinds as well except 4, 5, and 6 are changed to Alt, Ctrl, and Shift for modifiers using my mouse to heal. My actionbar layout also is the same across every single character I have (I have 15 of them). If my class has an interrupt of any kind that spell goes to Shift+6. My primary spells in the rotation usually default to the right side (4, 5, 6, 9, 0). Cooldowns are on the - through Shift+3 row and utilities such as taunt and AoE stuff are on the left (1, 2, 3, 7, 8). Having this similarity between alts will also increase your efficiency with them as your muscles will automatically know what to do / where to go in almost any situation regardless of what class or role you're playing.

That's actually an awesome idea by Sajakain! Using bartender4 add on you could recreate your keyboard and map out your key binds. I might even do it myself as that sounds right up my OCD Street!

I will post my layout this evening when I am at my computer.

Another helpful tip is to get involved with weak auras. This can help you a lot with being aware of your CD's and buffs without having to look at your action bars. The fury warrior default animations are already pretty good at helping you react to procs like RB and BS but I use weak auras to view my enrage, trinket and enchant procs. But a good weak aura set up can also aid in the clicker to key binds transition. There is a good warrior weakaura thread stickied on the warrior page. But like key binds I advise you to take inspiration from other people's weakauras and personalise yours to you.