Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Blainie

Reading Order of Warcraft Books

5 posts in this topic

Are you starting to read up on WoW lore for the first time? Maybe you've heard about the various novels, but you just don't know where to start.

It can be tricky when trying to establish a proper order for the books, mainly because the books sometimes jump around the timeline, moving back or forward in history. Below is my suggested reading order for the published novels of the Warcraft universe. If you have any suggestions, let me know!

1. Dawn of the Aspects (Amazon USir?t=icyveinscom-20&l=as2&o=1&a=14767613 / Amazon UK
  2. War of the Ancients Trilogy (Amazon US / Amazon UK
    1. The Well of Eternity (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
    2. The Demon Soul (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
    3. War of the Ancients (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
  3. Rise of the Horde (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
  4. The Last Guardian (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
  5. Beyond the Dark Portal (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
  6. Lord of the Clans (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
  7. Day of the Dragon (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
  8. Arthas: Rise of the Lich King (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
  9. Illidan: World of Warcraft (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
  10. Night of the Dragon (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
  11. Stormrage (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
  12. The Shattering (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
  13. Wolfheart (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
  14. Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
  15. Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
  16. Vol'jin: Shadows of the Horde (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
  17. War Crimes (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
2 people like this

Thank you very much Blainie!  I was looking for a complete list, this one will help tremendously.

1 person likes this

Posting to quite an inactive thread but hoping for a reply nevertheless. :)

Blainie, or anyone else, what do you think about the quality of the books? I've read Rise of the Horde, The Last Guardian, Beyond the Dark Portal and Arthas: Rise of the Lich King. I'd say those books are quite good reads - nothing too special, but not bad either. Good reads for one interested in Warcraft. I have, however, heard bad things about Knaak's books and thus haven't read anything from him. It would be interesting to hear opinions from people who have read the books.

1 hour ago, Barbon said:

Blainie, or anyone else, what do you think about the quality of the books? I've read Rise of the Horde, The Last Guardian, Beyond the Dark Portal and Arthas: Rise of the Lich King. I'd say those books are quite good reads - nothing too special, but not bad either. Good reads for one interested in Warcraft. I have, however, heard bad things about Knaak's books and thus haven't read anything from him. It would be interesting to hear opinions from people who have read the books.

As for books, I've read plenty of them by Golden, they are totally fun, I loved Rise of the Lich King or Prelude to Cataclysm, but anything Knaak touches is just too boring. Golden can describe the plot vividly, you can imagine the things while reading what makes you hungry for more, whereas Knaak is just dull explaining and stating facts, but this is just my personal opinion.

1 person likes this

On 11/3/2016 at 0:01 PM, Barbon said:

Missed this, sorry!

I loved the books. With Knaak's work, I think if you love the content of the story itself enough, you can look past what is a worse writing style. I definitely wouldn't say his books are bad though. I loved everything I read from the series; there have been times where I have read books in other genres where I simply stopped reading because I hated it enough. That has never happened with any of the Warcraft books, regardless of the author.